Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Club Grayskull Man-At-Arms Discussion Thread w/ Pixel Dan review

Club Grayskull Man-At-Arms Discussion Thread w/ Pixel Dan review

Here is a review by Pixel Dan of Super7's release of MOTUC Club Grayskull (Filmation) Man-At-Arms!
    Check it out:

------------------
    He might not be included in 2017 lineup...... he might be an underrated figure in this brand new line. But Filmation Man-At-Arms certainly cannot be ignored since he played such a vital role in the cartoon series. I always loved his simplified armour compared to "too techy" classics/vintage version !

I am also wondering how Mattel/4HM are going to handle the armours on his shoulder & wrists, as it looked like permanently attached in the cartoon. Will he get a newly sculpted hands ? Or will he get removable armours like his classics counter part ??

Discuss !
    Matty Has Been Matted For 2017 !

Now I Seriously Hope Super 7 Makes Me Feel I Am In Heaven !!

Heroic Warrior
    I doubt any main character is not going to make the cut. Pretty confident that all main characters are getting made. It would be pointless to even have this line if they weren't .

I am sure he'll be part of this new line. The question is, will he make the cut in 2017 ? Which I think could be 50-50, since strong contenders like Hordak, Mer-Man, Teela & probably Shadow Weaver are already there !

I think his arm armor should be a part of the sculpt rather than removable

I didn't want MAA, as I felt they had gone overkill on his variants, which all look the same...but then I got FILMation He-Man and my mind changed completely. Bring him on!

I hope he has detachable laser effects for his wrist guns.
    Aaron’s Top 10 (In Order):
    Starburst She-Ra, Hunga the Harpy, The Twiggets, Stridor, Catra’s Cat Form, Kay-La, Skeleteen, Mini Comics Garn, Spinwit, FILMation King Miro

I made one years ago for Classics from an extra MAA and Palace Guard and a few custom touches. However, that is Classics, and while not much would be different except detail from my custom, I still have to have to have him in the new line.
    Recent.... HATMOTU Beast Man & Evil Seed
    Coming....
    Wanted.... Filmation Mer-Man, Teela & Sorceress
    Considering....
    Needed.... MOTUC Lord Masque

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Yes definitely a top want since he was a regular character on the character appearing in every episode. I think they'll do his armor as separate pieces which is fine by me since it looks like separate pieces anyway plus I don't see them tooling new torso and arms since that's never really been the way matty approaches things ie blast attak, Seahawk, extendar etc just got overlays and such. just use the already tooled parts like skeletors boots and the bare forearms. And they need to remember his moustache is brown not black like the motuc head they did
    Last edited by degra; March 19, 2016 at 04:50pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Man At Arms would need NEW Arms and that is a FACT. Not an opinion.

You can see the main issue right there.
    Having Separate Armor bits on the bare arms would not work because of the Elbow Articulation. Each Armor Bit would require a strap to hold on to the arm and that would make the figure inaccurate to the cartoon look. That would go against what this sub-line is about.
    Gluing the new pieces to the arm wouldn't work either because NEW ARMS would have to be tooled with holes on them for the new Armor bits to be plugged and glued on. That would bring up a new problem MORE MOLDS WOULD HAVE TO BE MADE. One mold for the arm parts and another for the Armor bits. The only Positive for this is that the Arms with the holes for Plug in pieces could be reused on Other Figures...

Man-E-Faces is another figure with Peculiar Arm Armor that Mattel could make non-removable plug-in pieces to fit in with the sub-line's aesthetics so there's that.

The Lazier solution (and the most likely to be taken by Mattel) is to simply sculpt new arms with the armor being part of them and painted. (Remember Lizard Man) The positives of this solution are:
    -The armor WILL NOT SLIP OFF THE FIGURE EVER!!
    -There is NO CHANCE that the Chinese Factory Workers will overglue and ruin the Articulation, or glue the part backwards. (Remember that Mattel has had a REALLY Crappy QC during the last few years.)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    I think they'll do his armor as separate pieces which is fine by me since it looks like separate pieces anyway plus I don't see them tooling new torso and arms since that's never really been the way matty approaches things ie blast attak, Seahawk, extendar etc just got overlays and such. just use the already tooled parts like skeletors boots and the bare forearms. And they need to remember his moustache is brown not black like the motuc head they did
    I dont think he requires a fully sculpted torso. However, his armoured hands should be sculpted & newly tooled since it will be a much better solution compared to removable armoured hands. I hope 4HM's takes this into the account when they do him. I hate seeing hand armours keep slipping off every time we do him in a different pose !

Quote Originally Posted by DO4M View Post
    Man At Arms would need NEW Arms and that is a FACT. Not an opinion.
    http://i.imgur.com/MQIsDJy.jpg
    You can see the main issue right there.
    Having Separate Armor bits on the bare arms would not work because of the Elbow Articulation. Each Armor Bit would require a strap to hold on to the arm and that would make the figure inaccurate to the cartoon look. That would go against what this sub-line is about.
    Gluing the new pieces to the arm wouldn't work either because NEW ARMS would have to be tooled with holes on them for the new Armor bits to be plugged and glued on. That would bring up a new problem MORE MOLDS WOULD HAVE TO BE MADE. One mold for the arm parts and another for the Armor bits. The only Positive for this is that the Arms with the holes for Plug in pieces could be reused on Other Figures...
    http://i.imgur.com/DI7aFu3.jpg
    Man-E-Faces is another figure with Peculiar Arm Armor that Mattel could make non-removable plug-in pieces to fit in with the sub-line's aesthetics so there's that.

The Lazier solution (and the most likely to be taken by Mattel) is to simply sculpt new arms with the armor being part of them and painted. (Remember Lizard Man) The positives of this solution are:
    -The armor WILL NOT SLIP OFF THE FIGURE EVER!!
    -There is NO CHANCE that the Chinese Factory Workers will overglue and ruin the Articulation, or glue the part backwards. (Remember that Mattel has had a REALLY Crappy QC during the last few years.)
    The horsemen could sculpt the armor on the arms so that it wouldn't require snap on armor that gets bulky which would mean totally new sclupted arms for Duncan.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Hardcore MOTUC Collector KelvAcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    The horsemen could sculpt the armor on the arms so that it wouldn't require snap on armor that gets bulky which would mean totally new sclupted arms for Duncan.
    I do agree with you!
    My MOTUC collection here ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mddgXWJ7M

If we DON'T see a true Duncan figure in 2017, there will be blood. . .

I FULLY expect there to be a Filmation Man-At-Arms coming next year.

This isn't just a good idea, this is what NEEDS to happen.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I definitely think we'll get Man-at-Arms in this line. I would like some priority on making Filmation versions of characters whose MOTUC version is a bit pricy (Teela, Tri-Klops, Whiplash, Sorceress), but no doubt Man-at-Arms is necessary. I hope they will do something different with his arm....armor? I think the MOTUC version looks great, but the arm armor (for lack of a better term) is a bit clunky.
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

I agree that his shoulder and forearm armor should be newly sculpted. The current MOTUC shoulder/forearm armor is way too bulky for a Filmation variant.

There you go Matty (and 4HM)...... People are unanimous on newly sculpted arms for Filmation MAA !!

Hope you guys take a note of it !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Posted this suggestion for the arms to be newly tooled pieces with the armor sculpted into it over on the matty boards. I figure it's never too early to try to head off design issues before the figure gets too far along

- - - Updated - - -

Catras Wrath says it may not be possible for newly tooled arms for man at arms because of a more limited budget due to only six figures as opposed to twelve. So we may have to settle for armor pieces as separate parts. Only other options I can think of are fashioning the armor pieces for the arms where they are more form fitting and snug. or telling fans upfront that the figure would price out higher for newly tooled arms

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Posted this suggestion for the arms to be newly tooled pieces with the armor sculpted into it over on the matty boards. I figure it's never too early to try to head off design issues before the figure gets too far along

- - - Updated - - -

Catras Wrath says it may not be possible for newly tooled arms for man at arms because of a more limited budget due to only six figures as opposed to twelve. So we may have to settle for armor pieces as separate parts. Only other options I can think of are fashioning the armor pieces for the arms where they are more form fitting and snug. or telling fans upfront that the figure would price out higher for newly tooled arms
    CW really shouldn't make comments like that since A) The horsemen sculpt the figures and most all the Filmation figures have new tooled parts like armor accessories etc. and B) Mattel design & the Horsemen work closely together. If Brandon can promis us a full on filmation looking Hordak at some point in Club Grayskull then I don't think newly tooled arms are a problem. Ceratus and the Kulatak got newly tooled arms that won't get reused either but that didn't stop Mattel from doing it and they were both in the same mini sub.
    Last edited by mjw41; March 24, 2016 at 08:02pm.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    I think this should be renamed to 'Club Grayskull Man-At-Arms Official Thread' or 'Discussion Thread'. I don't believe there's any 'support' needed for this guy. I'd understand a support thread for Club Grayskull Chopper or Webstor, but Duncan is a shoe-in for sure.

And I definitely see him coming in '17. Why wouldn't he? They won't pull a Ram Man with him.
    Wanted in MOTUC:

Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, Hoove, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Colonel Blast, Vypor, Skeleteen, Sagitar

film noir warrior maltesefalcon's Avatar
    the horsemen can make an amazing prototype all they want but its down to mattell design to decide how the figures work otherwise we wouldn't have the new ankles, smaller grayskull, smaller snakemountain , grizzlor with no 200x head (which we finally got), rattler with no armor(again which we got),and of course everybodys favourite king hiss!

mattells budget should be easier next year due to the lack of new pieces but the new cartoon style means that even if we have the parts from the original line they have to be completely tooled to be less detailed

man at arms will need new head and armor at least
    when your world turns upside down, laugh at the people standing on their heads!

Heroic Warrior
    Two options

One ahead of time tell customers doing newly tooled forearms will make the figure cost more than the other club grayskull figures

Two. Use the pré existing arms and tool the arm armor as separate overlays. But use a plastic that allows the armor when slipped over the arms to be tight, snug and form fitting enough to stay in place thereby eliminating the need to glue it down onto the arm and to eliminate the need for snap on pieces to the armor on the underside a la the previous man at arm figures. It would also avoid chances of paint slop from arms sculpted with armor on it since were mattel to do arms with the armor sculpted into the arms they would be cast in green plastic then the armor portions painted with orange paint

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by maltesefalcon View Post
    mattells budget should be easier next year due to the lack of new pieces but the new cartoon style means that even if we have the parts from the original line they have to be completely tooled to be less detailed

man at arms will need new head and armor at least
    But for the most part this first year gave all the newly tooled less detailed parts library mattel will need for most of the filmation characters. From here on out most are just going to need a new head and armor/harness. Some like entrapta shadow weaver are just repaints. Ram man, mantenna and say a count marzo are mainly the only fully tooled filmation variants to worry about
    Last edited by degra; March 24, 2016 at 10:02pm.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    CW really shouldn't make comments like that since A) The horsemen sculpt the figures and most all the Filmation figures have new tooled parts like armor accessories etc. and B) Mattel design & the Horsemen work closely together. If Brandon can promis us a full on filmation looking Hordak at some point in Club Grayskull then I don't think newly tooled arms are a problem. Ceratus and the Kulatak got newly tooled arms that won't get reused either but that didn't stop Mattel from doing it and they were both in the same mini sub.
    I seriously doubt we'll get newly sculpted arms. Given the price point and what we've seen so far, the new molds are going to be scarcer here than we've seen before. I'm sure we'll get new arm armor, but it will likely be going over regular arms (although I imagine they may use the bare forearms we now have in the parts vault rather than ones with the bracers).
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

If they can't fit newly sculpted arms into the budget then don't do it at all until they can.
    It's the only way to make him accurate, which I thought was the whole point of this line.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I seriously doubt we'll get newly sculpted arms. Given the price point and what we've seen so far, the new molds are going to be scarcer here than we've seen before. I'm sure we'll get new arm armor, but it will likely be going over regular arms (although I imagine they may use the bare forearms we now have in the parts vault rather than ones with the bracers).
    Indeed. It makes you wonder how long they will be able to hold the $20.00 price point.

I don't support this. Jk I do. MAA is A list and an absolute must. Full blown articulated mustache!
    Icer and Filmation Clawful made. Mission complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Raziel443 View Post
    If they can't fit newly sculpted arms into the budget then don't do it at all until they can.
    It's the only way to make him accurate, which I thought was the whole point of this line.
    Exactly! They HAVE to do new pieces if they want Duncan to be accurate.
    Filmation Trap Jaw seems to have a new Torso that will not have any reuse (Based on the leaked proto pics floating on ebay). Duncan's arm armor COULD theoretically be reused with Palace Guards (if we ever get to the point of Mattel considering MAKING Filmation Palace Guards)
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Crita is coming... Now I NEED SONGSTER! The Awesometastic Bard!