Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse Books

This is only the 2nd time that I ordered something online regarding MOTU. But I am hopeful that it is worth the money. The available few stories (low quality scans) of the newspaper comic strips in the "publishing" section are very promising. I think this collection will be great, However, the waiting time to receive the product - Feb 2017 (!!!) - is quite long.

Heroic Warrior
    Never had a clue about this til recent years. I just preordered mine, I wanna read it and learn it and think it's a nice additive to the collection. Also got a motu balloon I seen and the new metal church album.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    YAY!!!
    Danielle, I know you've been championing this for a long time, and working with Chris Weber and Karen Willson AT LEAST since their appearance at the last Power-Con... I have no doubt your efforts were instrumental in making this a reality... THANK YOU!!!!! And, looking forward to seeing you again (and introducing you to my family!) in less than a week!!!

Looking forward to seeing you and meeting your family! See you soon!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

This looks amazing! Just preordered it. This collection is a real testament to the fans and creators who put it together.

Widget
    This is great news! My newspaper carried these when I was a kid. I discovered them part-way into the first story, and followed them up until the newspaper dropped the comic strip mid-way through the 7th story "Revolution in Rondale". I absolutely loved these stories, and considered them to be among the best of the 1980's MOTU media. Every day I would cut them out of the newspaper and scotch tape them into a notebook so I could save the continuing storyline. One of my biggest regrets over the years is that I lost this notebook and didn't keep these as part of my MOTU collection (which my children now enjoy). As I re-read them often while I had them, I do remember the first 6 stories fairly well.

I will say to the fellow MOTU fans: you will not be disappointed when you read these. The storylines were a bit more complex than most other 80's published material, and maintained a bit more continuity in the plotlines. There also was a significantly higher amount of romance, especially involving the main characters. You also will get to see a lot of MOTU toys that did not appear in the cartoon, and had limited appearances in other published media. The writers also had a few supporting characters unique to these stories that I found pretty interesting.

I am new here (although I have been a visitor of this website for years) so I will be cautious not to post any detailed spoilers. This book is going to be a treat! Personally I can't wait to reread the first 6 stories (I see 2 of them are scanned on this website, although I think there are some days missing). Also anxious to read the ones I never saw. And I'll finally get to finish that Revolution in Rondale storyline 30 years later!

Quote Originally Posted by GoPenguins View Post
    This is great news! My newspaper carried these when I was a kid. I discovered them part-way into the first story, and followed them up until the newspaper dropped the comic strip mid-way through the 7th story "Revolution in Rondale". I absolutely loved these stories, and considered them to be among the best of the 1980's MOTU media. Every day I would cut them out of the newspaper and scotch tape them into a notebook so I could save the continuing storyline. One of my biggest regrets over the years is that I lost this notebook and didn't keep these as part of my MOTU collection (which my children now enjoy). As I re-read them often while I had them, I do remember the first 6 stories fairly well.

I will say to the fellow MOTU fans: you will not be disappointed when you read these. The storylines were a bit more complex than most other 80's published material, and maintained a bit more continuity in the plotlines. There also was a significantly higher amount of romance, especially involving the main characters. You also will get to see a lot of MOTU toys that did not appear in the cartoon, and had limited appearances in other published media. The writers also had a few supporting characters unique to these stories that I found pretty interesting.

I am new here (although I have been a visitor of this website for years) so I will be cautious not to post any detailed spoilers. This book is going to be a treat! Personally I can't wait to reread the first 6 stories (I see 2 of them are scanned on this website, although I think there are some days missing). Also anxious to read the ones I never saw. And I'll finally get to finish that Revolution in Rondale storyline 30 years later!
    Thanks for posting your memories!

Was your newspaper the LA Herald Examiner or the Times Union perchance?

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Thanks for posting your memories!

Was your newspaper the LA Herald Examiner or the Times Union perchance?
    LA Herald sounds right. I lived in Ventura County, but it was an L.A. paper.

Heroic Warrior
    I have pre-ordered the book. I am looking very forward to reading it. I remember only reading a couple of random strips as a kid as my local paper only carried it for a VERY short time, cancelling it in the middle of a storyline. I have been wanting to read these for thirty years and can't wait to FINALLY be able to do so.

Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by chudman1000 View Post
    I have pre-ordered the book. I am looking very forward to reading it. I remember only reading a couple of random strips as a kid as my local paper only carried it for a VERY short time, cancelling it in the middle of a storyline. I have been wanting to read these for thirty years and can't wait to FINALLY be able to do so.
    Any chance you remember the name of your local paper?

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    in Febuaray 2017, when this comes out, MOTU will be 35 years old. How appropriate then, for these stories that came out at the end of the franchise, to be celebrated on such an occasion. I'm so excited for this. It's almost like discovering unaired episodes of the cartoon! I love the cover with Evil King He-Man fighting skeletor over the Star seed IIRC.

Are they in color?
    Is the collection a complete one?

Mystery solved...MY parents only ever bought the Daily News & Signal (Santa Clarita's local paper) and I never knew about these comics as a kid.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    Mystery solved...MY parents only ever bought the Daily News & Signal (Santa Clarita's local paper) and I never knew about these comics as a kid.
    We originally got the local paper daily and then the paper from L.A. only on Sundays. It was one of those Sunday papers where I happened to pick up the comics section and found the He-Man comic. We then started getting the L.A. paper 7 days a week - just for this comic strip!

I was pretty devastated when the paper stopped carrying the comic midway through the 7th story. We checked some other papers but never found anyone else who carried it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Cool.

Any chance you remember the name of your local paper?

Well I had two local papers, so it was either the Winnipeg Free Press or the Winnipeg Sun. It's been a very long time so it's hard to remember 100% for certain, but I think the Free Press was the more likely of the two. I have no idea how long the strip ran, but it seemed very short. I remember discovering it out of the blue one day. Then I saw the strip once or twice more , and then went to look for it one day, and it was gone. Until I joined the org and discovered info on it, for a long time I almost thought it was just one of those imaginary memories from my childhood.

I wonder if my paper might have had it as a temporary filler or a placeholder for something else. That's certainly how it almost seemed.
    Last edited by chudman1000; June 2, 2016 at 12:45pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Great news! I was completely unaware of these MOTU newspaper strips prior to this thread, but they sound fantastic. I'm definitely getting this book. The artwork on the cover looks similar to the art from the UK MOTU comics...

I never remember seeing these strips in my local newspapers at the time - so this will be the first time I'll be reading these.

Now, we just need the obscure UK MOTU comics & Marvel's MOTU Star comics series reprinted.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; June 5, 2016 at 08:47pm.

Fantastic news!

This gives me hope that eventually the UK & US comics will be reprinted too.

Count me as another person who never heard of these strips until recently. They sound very interesting, and I look forward to reading them, as I'm just not into the modern take on these characters.
    Odd Man Out

Glad to see these finally compiled...preordered!
    Snake Mountain, FINALLY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Don't forget the Ladybird and Golden books and UK annuals! My most wanted release(s) (apart from a MotUverse Encyclopedia and a MotU Toy & Merchandise Catalogue).
    Absolutely. Being in the UK, I have most of the Ladybird and annuals... but a nice hardback omnibus of them all? Great! I think for US fans who have never seen them they will be especially interesting.
    "There's only one of you...only one of anybody." - Gwildor

Full-length scripts were written for each and every newspaper strip storyline. 14 of the 15 stories were written by Chris Weber, and the first one was written by Jim Shull. Even Granamyr can't lift this stack! Perhaps only He-Man himself could do it.

Last edited by Penny Dreadful; July 5, 2016 at 12:23pm.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Thank you Danielle!

Looks amazing and can't wait for the book and all the possible info from strips and scripts it will contain.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Thank you Danielle!

Looks amazing and can't wait for the book and all the possible info from strips and scripts it will contain.
    Any word on if it will be colored? Looking forward to this and the character guide!
    Put the Image/MVCreations comics on Comixology please!

Woah, great work Danielle!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth2099 View Post
    Any word on if it will be colored? Looking forward to this and the character guide!
    Well I would think Sunday Strips were originally in color? If I'm not mistaken...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Well I would think Sunday Strips were originally in color? If I'm not mistaken...
    Yep, the majority of the Sundays are in color. It really depends on where it was printed, and what content was discovered. But the daily strips were black and white. They did color some of them in the Greek reprints, which is neat to see, but they weren't meant to be colored.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

whoa! Greek reprints are going to be on the book ???

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    whoa! Greek reprints are going to be on the book ???
    That's not what I said.

The dailies in this collection will be B&W, as they were intended to be.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page