Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips from Dark Horse Books

Hardcore MOTUC Collector KelvAcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    never saw any of these, do not think I ever knew they existed and still barely know anything about them...

...other than I will own this and proudly consume it's all new stories! New original retro stuff! Keen Gear!
    Same here, so much cool new stuff we are getting now it makes this MOTU hobby more awesome than what it already is.
    My MOTUC collection here ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mddgXWJ7M

He-Man and Clamp Champ: a bromance for the ages! Find out what this is all about when the MOTU Newspaper Comic Strips collection from Dark Horse Books is released this February.

Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Amazon has a promo holidaybook for 10 dollars off a book over 25 dollars. Good to use it on some of these books.

Quote Originally Posted by j-manbp View Post
    Amazon has a promo holidaybook for 10 dollars off a book over 25 dollars. Good to use it on some of these books.
    Nice! Can you use it on preorders too?
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. It worked for me. Also if the price drops before it is released they give you the price difference still.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Nice! Can you use it on preorders too?

It worked for me!!!! $18 for this amazing book plus free shipping!!!
    Is not not licking toads

Thanks!
    I already had an order placed with a much lower price than this.
    So I went ahead and ordered the Rebirth Omnibus

Can't wait for this to come out!

I can't believe it's almost here. Right around two and a half months away!

Heroic Warrior
    This will be a lot of fun! I don't recall ever reading any of these when I was a kid!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I used the $10 off on the character guide book since it was more off my original pre-order price than this comics book. The holidaybook code wouldn't work on a second order, so I guess you can only use it once.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by j-manbp View Post
    Thanks for the info! I'll spread the word!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Dark Horse has sent us a new sample of a week's worth of story from the He-Man and the MOTU: The Newspaper Comic Strips collection that is coming February 14, 2017!
    Click here to pre-order your copy today.

Click on the image to see it larger

JVS3: Ok, gonna order it now. Thanks for posting!
    I knew nothing of these strips until the minicomics collection from dh. I think Lee Nordling mentioned them in his interview, but this is the first time I've actually read one. How long did it actually run? I know my local paper didn't carry it.
    Cant wait for this book now -- just hope the strip wasn't cancelled on a cliff hanger!
    Last edited by Rainman; December 21, 2016 at 07:53pm.

Hi Rainman,

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    JVS3: Ok, gonna order it now. Thanks for posting!
    Hooray! Many cool stories await you. You'll see familiar friends such as He-Man, Skeletor, Battle Cat, Teela, Man-At-Arms, the Sorceress, Hordak, Ninjor, Orko, Clamp Champ, and many, many more. You'll also see all new characters, places, and beasts such as Duke Tiberon, Lady Miranda, the Faultmaster, Queen Iandir, the mysterious tomb of Kartan, the ancient Thamalia Tower, the frigid Northern Isles, fierce Stiganors, ravenous Snow Sharks, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    I knew nothing of these strips until the minicomics collection from dh. I think Lee Nordling mentioned them in his interview, but this is the first time I've actually read one.
    The week of "pitch strips" Lee Nordling mentioned were actually never published and those strips were separate from the the Weber/Forton/Shull strips which were the ones that Mattel ultimately went with. Even though the Lee Nordling strips are separate, I have a good feeling that you'll learn all about the Nordling/Houston/Marx strips in this book as well.

How long did it actually run? I know my local paper didn't carry it.
    The He-Man and the Masters of the Universe newspaper strips ran every day for four and a half years (1986-1991) in newspapers and comics collections all around the world. In the US, where it was created and distributed, the strip ran in only a few newspapers - about 10 of them from what we could find. But it was also published in Brazil, India, Greece, Serbia, Australia and other countries, and translated into a variety of languages.

Cant wait for this book now -- just hope the strip wasn't cancelled on a cliff hanger!
    It had a very definite ending. There was no cliffhanger in the last comic strip, for sure.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 22, 2016 at 09:49am.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

These look so sweet! As excited as I was for the other Dark Horse books, I'd already seen most of that material before. THIS will be filled with completely new things for me and I literally CAN NOT WAIT!!!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2019!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Thanks for all the extra info and answers, penny dreadful. Super jazzed for this release.

I got mine ordered and cannot wait! I had no idea these even existed. I remember reading comic strips but never saw He-Man. 2016 has been an awesome year for Masters of the Universe fans.

Does anyone own original artwork from the strip?
    Is not not licking toads

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    Hmmm, real good question. Hopefully someone in the know will have an answer....

Gérald Forton, Filmation alumnus and the artist who illustrated the entire run of the strip, still has a few original pieces. He brought some to Power-Con the last time he was there.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

That is awesome! I was just curious as you see mini comic art turn up from time to time, but I have never come across any of the strip art. February can't get here fast enough!
    Is not not licking toads

That is awesome! I was just curious as you see mini comic art turn up from time to time, but I have never come across any of the strip art. February can't get here fast enough!
    In the book, we included a 1990 letter between Mark DiCamillo at Mattel and writer Chris Weber. Chris saved a couple of these letters where they go back-and-forth trying to figure out who has the original artwork. The original art was sent to Mattel and then to the syndicate, but there seemed to be some question regarding the whereabouts of the original art from prior stories, even during the strip's run!

There were a couple of syndicates over the years, and even Mattel itself syndicated the strip at some point. These syndicates were later bought out by other syndicates, which then merged with yet other syndicates. It's a bit of a muddle, though we did follow the trail and reached out to a couple of syndicates. We hoped they might have something in their files, but we had no luck whatsoever with tracking down original pieces. Nobody there seemed to have any information at all, sadly. My guess is that both the syndicates and Mattel either tossed the artwork, or somebody took it home.

On very, very rare occasions, newspaper strip art does turn up though. James Eatock used to have a piece from one of Gérald and Jim Shull's sample strips, and we included it in the book. And as I said, Gérald himself has a few of the originals.

I'll probably give the syndicates another try sometime. It's worth another shot.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; December 29, 2016 at 10:39am.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

I'm excited to report that I have received the FIRST advance copy of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Newspaper Comic Strips! The feeling of FINALLY looking at this is indescribable. It's really fantastic, and bigger than I imagined. It's about two inches taller than the 'Art of' Book and clocks in at about 515 pages!

I'm so incredibly proud of, and grateful to, everyone who helped bring this to life, and hope the strip's original creators will enjoy seeing their work finally get the treatment it deserves!

Here are some pics. I hope to post a flip-through teaser video tomorrow.
    And click here to preorder!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

I'm really looking forward to this.