Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Dark Horse: Character Guide and World Compendium

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    I got the book and absolutely love it!! One funny thing I did find was in a bio where it says the exact same thing twice. Kinda weird but I figured it was an oversight.
    I saw that too; in Tri-Klops' 2012 DC Comics passage, a paragraph of text repeats verbatim.

I also noticed a typo in the last sentence of Ever Mean's Entry.

I also was wondering whether Quick Flick oughtn't have gotten an Entry, seeing as he was cited in The Goddess' 2008 Masters Classics story.

I _WAS_ perturbed by the chronology of the Delora depictions, until I realized that the 1982 DC Comics Mini-Series presented Stratos' wife, but didn't give her name! I still feel that Mrs. Stratos should precede FILMation's "sister" version (we all know who came first!), but I can see how the order in the book was arrived at.

Shouldn't Stone Imp come AFTER Stonedar alphabetically?

Thank You SO MUCH for this magnificent tome! [^)

UK MOTU Comics Junkie Mosquitor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    Shouldn't Stone Imp come AFTER Stonedar alphabetically?
    [^)
    Stone Imp should come before Stonedar; if Stone Imp was one word it would come after Stonedar but as the name is two words, the alphabetical order is correct. (I make my living as a proofreader so I work with this sort of thing daily!)

The other errors you point out are worth taking into account if a second edition is produced.
    http://www.motuukcomics.co.uk

The Masters of the Universe/She-Ra UK Comics Fan Site!

Ok i have a problem with some things i was reading in some of the entries and i cant understand why the writers of the new bios would go this route. Back when the last 2 mini comics came out, the evil alliance that was fighting in the third ultimate battle ground was hodgepodge of characters, You had the new villian from the son of heman era, independent villians, like GBW,, Evilseed, Prahvus, and the remnents of the evil warriors (this list comes from the double page spread from the last mini comic and the Q and A from TG and Axel on unanswered questions)Blast Attack, Spikor, Scareglow, Draegoman, Ambrosia Webstor, and Carnivore. Not sure if Carnivore was called in by Webstor to bolster Jitsus forces or is independent.the whole point of this is why remove Spikor and Scareglow from Jitsus forces and put him under Skeleteens command, when Jitsu has such a little force already, why not just leave them under jitsus command? I think thats poor planning on the writers part to shift those character as jitsu force should still be a force to reckoned with at the time of the 3rd UBG? Please some one provide some insight or opinions on this matter. Thx
    3 ubg.jpg
    3ugb 2.jpg

Not really sure what you're talking about, facet. Sorry.
    The guide is not about re-telling/recapping stories, and instead is a guide to the characters and is primarily about their defining characteristics.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Ok i have a problem with some things i was reading in some of the entries and i cant understand why the writers of the new bios would go this route. Back when the last 2 mini comics came out, the evil alliance that was fighting in the third ultimate battle ground was hodgepodge of characters, You had the new villian from the son of heman era, independent villians, like GBW,, Evilseed, Prahvus, and the remnents of the evil warriors (this list comes from the double page spread from the last mini comic and the Q and A from TG and Axel on unanswered questions)Blast Attack, Spikor, Scareglow, Draegoman, Ambrosia Webstor, and Carnivore. Not sure if Carnivore was called in by Webstor to bolster Jitsus forces or is independent.the whole point of this is why remove Spikor and Scareglow from Jitsus forces and put him under Skeleteens command, when Jitsu has such a little force already, why not just leave them under jitsus command? I think thats poor planning on the writers part to shift those character as jitsu force should still be a force to reckoned with at the time of the 3rd UBG? Please some one provide some insight or opinions on this matter. Thx
    3 ubg.jpg
    3ugb 2.jpg
    Okay, I don't think this is on anyone for lack of planning on potential new content, just on how I had to interpret the official material available at the time while working on the Compendium. Again we couldn't use Q & A's as official sources (or the original sketch of the battleground), and even so I don't recall seeing those remarks about Scareglow and Spikor being only in Jitsu's camp or I'd have at least avoided any conflicts by just saying they served the Unnamed One during the 3UB. As it was I had to guess that anyone not seen with Jitsu in the mini-comics was probably among the fleet of warriors called by Evil-Lyn to work for Skeleteen (it was implied many were in ships and not seen). I'll need to check my notes, but I think that's all this is.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by facet
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Okay, I don't think this is on anyone for lack of planning on potential new content, just on how I had to interpret the official material available at the time while working on the Compendium. Again we couldn't use Q & A's as official sources (or the original sketch of the battleground), and even so I don't recall seeing those remarks about Scareglow and Spikor being only in Jitsu's camp or I'd have at least avoided any conflicts by just saying they served the Unnamed One during the 3UB. As it was I had to guess that anyone not seen with Jitsu in the mini-comics was probably among the fleet of warriors called by Evil-Lyn to work for Skeleteen (it was implied many were in ships and not seen). I'll need to check my notes, but I think that's all this is.
    Eric stated it perfectly.

I don't believe it was ever officially stated in a comic or bio which warriors were specifically part of Jitsu's forces. Even assuming that Scare Glow, Spikor, Draego-Man, Blast-Attak, etc. were part of Jitsu's group, it's entirely possible that the Unnamed One simply combined the groups and put Skeleteen in charge during the battle. This is just conjecture, but we do see them all on the battlefield together, and some of the classic Evil Warriors are mixed in amidst all the other combatants.

As for Axel's sketch, unfortunately several of those warriors, including the Fuerza-T character, didn't make it into the final published comic. Thus, they are not officially part of the published story. Because of this, they aren't described in the Character Guide as participating in the battle. Even if the intent was there, the purpose of the book was to cover official canon only. It might make for an awesome trivia note if an expanded update edition ever comes out though!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; June 20, 2017 at 01:28pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

So looks like I was correct in thinking Targa, Rana, and Lodar are all from Preternia...... in Classics canon... So is their "He-Man" actually Oo-Larr?
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    So looks like I was correct in thinking Targa, Rana, and Lodar are all from Preternia...... in Classics canon... So is their "He-Man" actually Oo-Larr?
    I think it states Rana lived thousands of years later. Oo-Larr also came much later than Preternia, late enough that he even fought Skeletor.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!

I think it states Rana lived thousands of years later. Oo-Larr also came much later than Preternia, late enough that he even fought Skeletor.
    You are correct. I somehow missed the part where Lodar was under the catacombs for thousand of years.
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Eric stated it perfectly.

I don't believe it was ever officially stated in a comic or bio which warriors were specifically part of Jitsu's forces. Even assuming that Scare Glow, Spikor, Draego-Man, Blast-Attak, etc. were part of Jitsu's group, it's entirely possible that the Unnamed One simply combined the groups and put Skeleteen in charge during the battle. This is just conjecture, but we do see them all on the battlefield together, and some of the classic Evil Warriors are mixed in amidst all the other combatants.

As for Axel's sketch, unfortunately several of those warriors, including the Fuerza-T character, didn't make it into the final published comic. Thus, they are not officially part of the published story. Because of this, they aren't described in the Character Guide as participating in the battle. Even if the intent was there, the purpose of the book was to cover official canon only. It might make for an awesome trivia note if an expanded update edition ever comes out though!
    But why then are the added notes at the the end of their classics entries specifically stating they are are part of Skeleteens groups if we are not even sure which group they are even with.The thing about this is that we know they are two different groups,Jitsu's evil warriors and Skeleteens,because otherwise they would all be in Snake mtn. The thing about the bios is that they were supposed to weave all the different parts of MOTU together, which it did in some areas, but others it left ambiguity,like for instance we were told that many warriors left for the stars to with shera and heman in the NA era, yet when TG is asked flat out who went with them, he has no answer. Why was a point made to include this info, to never have it come to light. Its the same point i made in another post about creating a character, naming them, and never having a full sketch to illustrate who this named character is. why go thru the trouble,make them a background character and forget about hem if you dont want to flesh out a story. I understand about Carnivore, that would be a good footnote to include a later version as well as the others that didn't make it in.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    why go thru the trouble,make them a background character and forget about hem if you dont want to flesh out a story.
    ...with Classics having instances where there is clearly reported cases of "character created because artist made mistake and it was given complete new colors" or "this character will be our go-to mcguffin to explain how some magical creation happened at some point with some characters/events"... The point more always seemed to be to include as much characters as possible. All potential figures if later there is enough interest from fans.
    So you get to have big epic fight-scenes where there are bunch of characters, some intended from story-narrative, and couple as simple easter-eggs.

Also I think you of all people are familiar with many cases where a name for a character was created because it was asked in a Q&A. And info left vague because they more likely were not fleshed out...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

But why then are the added notes at the the end of their classics entries specifically stating they are are part of Skeleteens groups if we are not even sure which group they are even with.The thing about this is that we know they are two different groups,Jitsu's evil warriors and Skeleteens,because otherwise they would all be in Snake mtn.
    Shadow Weaver lived at Horror Hall, and Scorpia at Scorpion Hill, yet they were both allied to the Horde in the Fright Zone. We don't see Snake Mountain or who lives there in the last mini-comic, so for all we know it was blown up too or Jitsu lost it to Strong-Or in an arm-wrestling contest. The only reason we gave Skeleteen the top billing was because he was presented like a faction leader in the last mini-comics while Jitsu wasn't. Where Jitsu bowed to the Unnamed One like a minion, Skeleteen planned to overthrow him. Skeleteen gathered the army for the Unnamed One and he was left vowing revenge after the battle. Jitsu ruled Snake Mountain "with an iron fist" after Skeletor left, but that was years before the events of the last three mini-comics, and we saw nothing to suggest he maintained independence from Skeletor's son once the lad came of age. More content could change that but we didn't get any hints of the kind of intrigue among the villains that you're suggesting. It would be very interesting to see such in-fighting, don't get me wrong, but that seemed like a bigger guess than to say Skeleteen was in charge.

The thing about the bios is that they were supposed to weave all the different parts of MOTU together, which it did in some areas, but others it left ambiguity,like for instance we were told that many warriors left for the stars to with shera and heman in the NA era, yet when TG is asked flat out who went with them, he has no answer. Why was a point made to include this info, to never have it come to light.
    That's not something the Compendium had to address though. We followed what was there in the official canon, not what might have been planned (like the idea of MAA's brain being downloaded into a robot body). It seems to me Scott mentioned other warriors going to the Tri-Solar System in order to keep his options open for future variants, and possibly for story ideas. But truly only Scott can answer that. There may be much he simply cannot say about what was planned.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    That's not something the Compendium had to address though.
    This. I think with these last couple topics raised... they'd be better geared to Classics forum, to Scott and all those who worked on those bios.

Not an issue for the Compendium book as it pertains here...
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    This. I think with these last couple topics raised... they'd be better geared to Classics forum, to Scott and all those who worked on those bios.

Not an issue for the Compendium book as it pertains here...
    Agreed.

Just got messaged that my copy has shipped.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

A massive big Thank-You to everyone involved in this project. I have spent hours reading and I am so impressed with the level of detail included. You should all be very proud.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Widget
    Hello guys

I bought the Kindle version and I have Wedstor instead of Webstor. Does the print edition have this mistake too?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Gapudo View Post
    Hello guys

I bought the Kindle version and I have Wedstor instead of Webstor. Does the print edition have this mistake too?

Thank you
    It's Webstor in my printed copy.
    I have seen what others have not seen!

Widget
    Can they fix these mistakes by releasing an update or a patch? Since it's digital, I think it's possible.

There is another mistake: below Nepthu, the term AFFILIATIONS doesn't have the proper space, it doesn't have the grey highlight, and it's in black bold instead of white (like the one you can see in this message).

Another question: why there is no MOTU CLASSICS entry for Stinkor? Is it normal? Every character has a 2008 MOTU CLASSICS section, apart from Stinkor.

And why the year for Light Hope is 2006 instead of 2008?

I'm sorry for my English, I'm trying to catch every mistake the Kindle version of this wonderful book has. Hoping for a patch

Thanks again everybody, especially the guys who worked at this book

If you see mistakes, please post them. We appreciate the extra pair of eyes to fix things for a possible 2nd release.

Widget
    Sure. But I don't know how to post screenshots from the Kindle version.

Anyway, I don't understand why the print version doesn't have those mistakes (see Wedstor/Webstor). Maybe the Kindle version is an older build?

Am I the only one who bought the digital version?

Quote Originally Posted by Gapudo View Post
    Another question: why there is no MOTU CLASSICS entry for Stinkor? Is it normal? Every character has a 2008 MOTU CLASSICS section, apart from Stinkor.
    One was written, but when put alongside the other canons, it contained no new information about the character. It mainly repeated his 200x origin. Since he isn't shown in the mini-comics we couldn't even say if he was or wasn't part of the Second or Ultimate Battlegrounds.

Wow! Just wanted to jump in on this thread as I received my copy of the Compendium today in the mail and I am blown away. I nearly lost it as I was paging through and eventually go to the family tree pull out page. So, so good. Well done DH and all involved.

Widget
    One was written, but when put alongside the other canons, it contained no new information about the character. It mainly repeated his 200x origin. Since he isn't shown in the mini-comics we couldn't even say if he was or wasn't part of the Second or Ultimate Battlegrounds.
    Thanks for the clarification.

By the way I have the screenshots of the mistakes I was talking about, if you want to see them I can post them.

Heroic Warrior
    Surely, Yukkers is Dree Elle's mischievous BROTHER from Trolla, not her cousin, correct?