Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fuerza-T to offset costs?

I'd be happier with Fuerza-T characters if they included newly sculpted heads along with the repainted vintage ones to make them all more unique--which I realize ruins the whole money-saving aspect, but so long as we're making wishes....
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I am 1000% down for this idea! YES!!!!
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Platino and Felinor are high on my want list. The rest would be welcome as well, but if I they only made those 2 I'd be content.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

If not Power Con, maybe Super 7 could do some for SDCC.

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Not interested in ...

I do like some of these kitbashes, especially Techno, Platino & Felinor, but I would prefer a slew of other repaints to be made first before having Super7 or Power-con tackle this wave. There are 8 Fuerza-T characters and the repaint competition is still pretty fierce and only a few slots to add these in as con exclusives or Ultimates line.

For me, I'd still like to see, in no particular order:

1) Minicomic Trap Jaw - although a new belt with a ram logo would be best, a straight repaint would work for me
    2) Leo Faker
    3) Minicomic Prince Adam
    4) Pink Sorceress
    5) Pink Teela
    6) Green Goddess (solid green)
    7) Anti Eternia Man-at-arms
    8) Black Horde Snake Trooper
    9) Snakemen
    10) Filmation colors Shadow Weaver
    11) Hooded clawed hand Snakeman
    12) Heroic Ninja
    13) Heroic Fisto-Blast
    14) Whip-Traplor thing
    15) Draego Man (minicomic Granamyr green)
    16) Gorpo (purple/yellow concept)
    17) Disco Skeletor
    NO KAYO? NOT OKAY-O! Catch my pics on Instagram: countjudas FOR 2019: Kayo, Lizorr, Sagitar, Negator, Hunga the Harpy, Kol Darr, Catra cat form, Leo Faker, Anti Eternia MAA and Orko, Melog, Filmation Ram Man and movie figures

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    I am not interested in them.
    There are a ton of nice figures Super7 could make, even if we juste are talking about repaints for power cons.
    If Super7 can make ALL NA, A LOT OF FILMATION, if Fuerza t do not take slots for another great figures they could make I would be ok though and I would buy them.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Nice that this got resurrected - can't believe I didn't comment the first time around. I absolutely adore Fuerza T and would actively buy the figures if they were to be made Power Con exclusives.

I am curious though as to whether they could actually be produced with their same Fuerza T names. I don't think there is anything that could prevent the figures from being made since the parts all exist as part of MOTUC parts library. But I am curious whether there are any copyright, trademark or IP rights issues with the regards to actually referring to figures as Fuerza T - and the specific names Platino, Destructor, Felinor etc. Does Top Toys still exist? Would they retain any rights to the names used on the Fuerza T packaging? Would exclusives have to be renamed "Silver Fist" and "Destroy-Or"?

I have already made customs of all of them for myself at this point so I don't need official versions. But I would definitely buy them if they get made. Interesting to see this resurrected because of Val's quote from June...

I don't really think the names are all that important. I'd wager dollars to donuts that most people's interest in these guys is as a curio, a little-known footnote in MOTU history. I really doubt anyone's childhoods would be retroactively ruined if they had to make up goofy names or leave the name plate blank.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bObA_fEtt_Ox View Post
    I am not interested in them.
    There are a ton of nice figures Super7 could make, even if we juste are talking about repaints for power cons.
    If Super7 can make ALL NA, A LOT OF FILMATION, if Fuerza t do not take slots for another great figures they could make I would be ok though.
    There are so many actual Masters Of The Universe characters I want before we get stuff like this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    Nice that this got resurrected - can't believe I didn't comment the first time around. I absolutely adore Fuerza T and would actively buy the figures if they were to be made Power Con exclusives.

I am curious though as to whether they could actually be produced with their same Fuerza T names. I don't think there is anything that could prevent the figures from being made since the parts all exist as part of MOTUC parts library. But I am curious whether there are any copyright, trademark or IP rights issues with the regards to actually referring to figures as Fuerza T - and the specific names Platino, Destructor, Felinor etc. Does Top Toys still exist? Would they retain any rights to the names used on the Fuerza T packaging? Would exclusives have to be renamed "Silver Fist" and "Destroy-Or"?

I have already made customs of all of them for myself at this point so I don't need official versions. But I would definitely buy them if they get made. Interesting to see this resurrected because of Val's quote from June...
    I think you've raised a VERY good point! I'm leaning towards them having to rename them all. That's fine by me! I survived the 'Ninjor' = 'Ninja Warrior' thing unscathed.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Princess Rana, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Lizorr, Hoove, Vintage Attack Trak.

I think sprinkling these in to the line here and there would be refreshing. The are obscure enough that taking up one out of three slots at a con shouldn't kill anyone. And also, being strict repaints, having them in a sub would definitely offset some of the cost of someone like Hunga, Dylamug, or Granita.
    I've seen customs of these at Power Con and utilizing the correct paint (metallics and bright colors) they looked amazing. I never knew they could be a possible option.

Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    There are so many actual Masters Of The Universe characters I want before we get stuff like this.
    i think so too

▄ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    It is my understanding that Top Toys officially manufactured Masters of the Universe figures for Mattel in Argentina, and when the line was discontinued, Top Toys purchased the molds from Mattel for the purposes of producing Fuerza-T figures. The First-Sale Doctrine would apply to the molds, so Top Toys, which still appears to be an active company, would hold the rights to the Fuerza-T marks and characters. Another company such as Mattel could not reproduce those characters and simply call them something else, because it does not have any rights to them in the first place. It would like 21st Century Fox reproducing Mickey Mouse and simply renaming him Michael Mouse. If ownership is in any way in a legally gray area, a company like Mattel probably will not even touch it.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought somewhere (one of the Q&As or something like that) that Scott had said that Fuerza-T was available to use if Mattel wanted. Perhaps part of the deal with Top Toys was that anything new they created with the parts could be used by Mattel if they chose to do so or maybe there is a legal time span when if the designs aren't used they become public domain in the original country like the way name trademarks fall out of use and get picked up by other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    I thought somewhere (one of the Q&As or something like that) that Scott had said that Fuerza-T was available to use if Mattel wanted. Perhaps part of the deal with Top Toys was that anything new they created with the parts could be used by Mattel if they chose to do so or maybe there is a legal time span when if the designs aren't used they become public domain in the original country like the way name trademarks fall out of use and get picked up by other companies.
    The purpose of Top Toys purchasing the molds from Mattel is to have the exclusive rights to whichever figures Top Toys creates with the molds thereafter.

For corporate works of authorship, copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. So the characters will not become public domain in our lifetimes.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    I wouldn't mind getting these, and it seems like exactly the oddball type of thing that would appeal to S7, but I really don't imagine that Mattel made any provisions when they sold the molds to retain any ownership of anything made with them. I'm pretty sure you'd have to get the rights to the characters to produce them.

And from what I've read, it would be a loooong time before they enter public domain. Congress has habitually extended the length of a copyright at the behest of big companies like Disney, and apparently made the terms retroactive, so even if the copyright terms in the 80's were shorter, today they'd still be going by the current 95 years and such today.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting these, and it seems like exactly the oddball type of thing that would appeal to S7, but I really don't imagine that Mattel made any provisions when they sold the molds to retain any ownership of anything made with them. I'm pretty sure you'd have to get the rights to the characters to produce them.

And from what I've read, it would be a loooong time before they enter public domain. Congress has habitually extended the length of a copyright at the behest of big companies like Disney, and apparently made the terms retroactive, so even if the copyright terms in the 80's were shorter, today they'd still be going by the current 95 years and such today.
    It is retroactive to works create on or after January 1, 1978.

Why would American copyright law apply to an Argentinian company?

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Why would American copyright law apply to an Argentinian company?
    Both countries are members of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works and the Universal Copyright Convention international treaties protecting foreign copyrights.

Heroic Warrior
    According to what you're saying wouldn't Mattel still own the copyright to the designs those molds were made for? Would seem that Top Toys would have had to have purchased the copyright along with those molds. Which would bring me to the question of if that were the case would Mattel still be able to use the original character designs that those molds were made for?

All that aside, what I was saying is that it is quite possible that Mattel made a provision when selling the molds that they would have rights outside of Argentina (or maybe after a certain number of years had passed) to re-produce those characters if desired.

Without getting into Mattel legal there's no way we can know for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    According to what you're saying wouldn't Mattel still own the copyright to the designs those molds were made for? Would seem that Top Toys would have had to have purchased the copyright along with those molds. Which would bring me to the question of if that were the case would Mattel still be able to use the original character designs that those molds were made for?

All that aside, what I was saying is that it is quite possible that Mattel made a provision when selling the molds that they would have rights outside of Argentina (or maybe after a certain number of years had passed) to re-produce those characters if desired.

Without getting into Mattel legal there's no way we can know for certain.
    If one purchases a decommissioned lawnmower from a landscaping company for the sole purpose of maintaining lawns for profit, the landscaping company is not entitled to the fruits of his labor, because it sold him the lawnmower. There is really nothing in contract or law that provides for that.

Heroic Warrior
    What I'm saying is that there may have been a clause included with the sale of those molds allowing Mattel permission to use whatever characters they created with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Both countries are members of the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works and the Universal Copyright Convention international treaties protecting foreign copyrights.
    Wow, cool. You know your stuff for sure.

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'd be happier with Fuerza-T characters if they included newly sculpted heads along with the repainted vintage ones to make them all more unique--which I realize ruins the whole money-saving aspect, but so long as we're making wishes....
    This. They should go the Stinkor and Mossman route with them, giving us the straight-repaint vintage head along with a newly sculpted one that gives them a more unique character look.

And yes, you're right this ruins the money-saving strategy of straight mix-n'-match repaints, but OTOH it will also help get more people on board with these if they're offered the option to make them look like true new characters of their own, rather than having them look just like kitbashed MotU knock-offs.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog