Thread: Spidra in MOTUC - Official Discussion thread

Totally Dyslexic

Spidra in MOTUC - Official Discussion thread

Spidra was planned by Mattel for an upcoming figure for the last wave.

At Power- Con Garrett and Darren Sander told us what they had found in the POP Mattel archives and Spidra was part of that treasure.

They explained that Mattel showed pictures of MOTU characters to girls and asked them which one they liked. It seems they liked Webstor and his action feature so Mattel decided to create a female figure with the same action feature.

Her main colors were red and black and her outfit should look like as if she had extra legs.

Those memos even said she was so far along that she was shown at Toyfair back than together with the Whispering Woods playset.

Coming to 2017 i think a figure of Spidra would be amazing and this time they wouldn´t need the outfit to give her extra legs they already have Mantenna and his crotch piece they could use for her and give her the slender legs of Modulok as well.
    She could be pretty amazing and intimidating if you ask me.

I would even like to see her two sets of arms similar to Procrustus since spiders have eight legs in real life!

That would be a spectacular POP figure!
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post

At Power- Con Garrett and Darren Sander told us what they had found in the POP Mattel archives and Spidra was part of that treasure.

They explained that Mattel showed pictures of MOTU characters to girls and asked them which one they liked. It seems they liked Webstor and his action feature so Mattel decided to create a female figure with the same action feature.

Her main colors were red and black and her outfit should look like as if she had extra legs.

Those memos even said she was so far along that she was shown at Toyfair back than together with the Whispering Woods playset.

Coming to 2017 i think a figure of Spidra would be amazing and this time they wouldn´t need the outfit to give her extra legs they already have Mantenna and his crotch piece they could use for her and give her the slender legs of Modulok as well.

I would even like to see her two sets of arms similar to Procrustus since spiders have eight legs in real life!

Sounds fantastic! I want her too!
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

Truth be told, I've been over Classics for awhile for various reasons, but I hope the line continues for everyone who wants it and would likely buy a Classics figure of Spidra. Right now my main areas of interest are vintage PoP, the proposed 12" PoP doll line and potentially the Mondo figures. (In that order) I would especially love to see Spidra, Joya, The Star Sisters, Whispering Woods, etc. made as a continuation of vintage PoP.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Truth be told, I've been over Classics for awhile for various reasons, but I hope the line continues for everyone who wants it and would likely buy a Classics figure of Spidra. Right now my main areas of interest are vintage PoP, the proposed 12" PoP doll line and potentially the Mondo figures. (In that order) I would especially love to see Spidra, Joya, The Star Sisters, Whispering Woods, etc. made as a continuation of vintage PoP.
    Vintage is cute and that´s fun but MOTUC opened up so many great doors for POP. Figures like Octavia, Huntara, Scorpia and Light Hope proofed POP is more than just cute girls in shiny outfits.

I´m not willing to give up on MOTUC and i want further representation of POP characters. New additions like Spidra are a great way to do so if you ask me.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    Yes. I would happily buy MOTUC Joya (Bubble Maiden), Spidra and the Whispering Woods play set! Not to mention other key characters like He-Ra (prototype She-Ra), Granita, Hunga, The Twiggets and cat-form Catra.

It would be great to see PoP expanded in the same way that MOTU has been with various concept and prototype characters.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Would be cool to see a picture of her. Maybe the Sander brothers can uncover it!

She definitely sounds neat!

Sounds like she would have made a great toy back in the day and I'd be totally up for her being a part of Classics as well. Would be a neat addition to the POP shelf and really be a standout figure at the same time.

Maybe a new Horde character??? And who is Joya??
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade View Post
    Maybe a new Horde character??? And who is Joya??
    Joya is the infamous Bubble carriage character who was shown in one catalog as on illustration. She was dropped to give her feature to She-Ra since her feature in WAVE 3 didn´t work as Mattel wanted it.

Back to Spidra:
    Since she is an oversized arachnid, Spidra certainly fits the monsters type the Evil Horde has going on. She could be a member. Her color scheme is very Evil Horde as well.
    I wouldn´t need her as a new Horde member. An independent ally for Catra would be enough for me but we will see once we see her

I hope Darren and Garret Sander find her prototype and maybe some description.

Joya is the infamous Bubble carriage character who was shown in one catalog as on illustration. She was dropped to give her feature to She-Ra since her feature in WAVE 3 didn´t work as Mattel wanted it.

Back to Spidra:
    Since she is an oversized arachnid, Spidra certainly fits the monsters type the Evil Horde has going on. She could be a member. Her color scheme is very Evil Horde as well.
    I wouldn´t need her as a new Horde member. An independent ally for Catra would be enough for me but we will see once we see her

I hope Darren and Garret Sander find her prototype and maybe some description.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me Niki and I agree about Spidra.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

As a fan of the vintage Webstor backpack, the idea of a POP character with a climbing hook feature is most exciting.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Vintage is cute and that´s fun but MOTUC opened up so many great doors for POP. Figures like Octavia, Huntara, Scorpia and Light Hope proofed POP is more than just cute girls in shiny outfits.

I´m not willing to give up on MOTUC and i want further representation of POP characters. New additions like Spidra are a great way to do so if you ask me.
    I haven't totally given up, I'm still open to buying select MOTUC figures outside of a subscription, but the passion just isn't there. If the line ends, I don't think I will be that upset about it. Interestingly, now that everything is seemingly shifting more towards my personal interests, I'm actually more disappointed for everyone else and can't fully enjoy what is happening. Anyhow...

Even though it's probably unlikely that anything will happen with vintage PoP or the new doll "line", Garrett and Darren's comments at Power-Con really reinvigorated me on the toy collecting front and gave me fresh hope for the PoP brand in general.

The prospect of Princess of Power maybe getting to be the main focus for the first time in a long time feels really empowering/exciting to me. That's always something that was missing to me with MOTUC and the overall advertising, licensing, media etc. surrounding it.

Yeah, there were some moments that PoP (well mostly She-Ra) got to shine, but somehow it all felt so fleeting and limited to me. Admittedly things started to improve a bit towards the end of the life cycle of Classics, but I think it came too late for me. MOTUC was cool ride for sure, don't get me wrong - I used to be so obsessed with it and would anticipate seeing how the 4H would translate the PoP characters - but it's been too much of a battle for me personally. After awhile it didn't feel fun anymore. It didn't help that, after passing on last year's subscription, I took a long-ass break from paying close attention to what was happening with the Classics/Filmation lines. Just made me feel even more alienated from the lines. The break, coupled with all the exciting PoP events at Power-Con, made me realize how much I miss the vintage PoP line, rooted hair, soft goods... Things feel fresh again.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    I soooo much like to see her concept art

Heroic Warrior
    I really like the idea. But while her theme fits the horde, I would prefer her as one a member of the Great Rebellion. So far, all spiders in MotU (Webstor and Spydor on the toy side, Arakna, the crystal spider and the witch Spydra in Filmation, the mutated spider in the comics) have been evil, it's time for an exception.

Heroic Warrior
    Love the idea as well. Makes perfect sense to me. I wish we could just unleash the 4H and see what kinds of figures they could come up with for this line. They could really make Spidra an amazing looking figure...

Heroic Warrior
    I would love to see whatever they found in the archives regarding unproduced POP characters and play sets. Put me down for a Spidra based on those sketches.

Heroic Warrior
    I would happily buy Spidra and all of the POP figures. Keep them coming please.

...They explained that Mattel showed pictures of MOTU characters to girls and asked them which one they liked. It seems they liked Webstor and his action feature so Mattel decided to create a female figure with the same action feature.
    We got one! 1986's Flutterina figure has a winged backpack which duplicates Webstor's "climbing" feature. Plus! when the string is pulled/released and the figure goes up/down the line, her wings flap, too!

As "All in" as I am for any groovy new info/details on unreleased concept goodies from the Vintage MoTU/PoP lines, it seems as though Spidra's "gimmick" would have been a second-hand "Me Too" sort of thing... :^/
    Last edited by Snake_Man; January 23, 2018 at 01:39am.
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if we will ever see the concept art

I’d love to see the concept art for this character as well. Was it ever revealed? I would definitely support a figure of her.