Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can we consider Thundercats a MOTUC subline?

Heroic Warrior
    After the reveal of the cover for the 3rd issue of the He-Man/Thundercats crossover, by Freddi E Williams II, i' m pretty much convinced, that the Thundercats fit perfectly to a MOTU Extended Universe, even if Skeletor doesn't look happy to have to deal with them too!

By the way Freddie's Artwork is outstanding here!

I totally do. That's the only reason I subscribed.

I wouldn't care for any Thundercats figures, if I can't make them Chief Carnivus's followers or use parts of them for custom motu figures
    Last edited by Robin77; September 17, 2016 at 05:33pm.
    Please visit my blog at https://robin0377.blogspot.de
    I (besides other stuff) will talk about (and show pictures of) some of my custom figures from time to time there

Heroic Warrior
    I like the idea of MotU and TC existing in the same universe. It works well.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Hope these covers are included in the trade paperback.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Hunter View Post
    With the upcoming release of the MOTU / Thundercats crossover this idea is growing on me.

The toys share body parts, style and sculptors, so, why dont consider them as a subline?
    I mean, I do. I dont care that clearly they are not, but then again as you say those reasons are exactly why I do.

I guess I do not care what they officially are, obviously they are a "sub line".

I'll add that for me a sub line doesnt actually have to tie into the parent line directly. Especially with toys.

Heroic Warrior
    And after the reveal of the preview from the upcoming crossover...Yes there is not doubt for me anymore. MOTU and Thundercats are perfectly matched like being part of the same Universe !

If the intent on this suggestion is so news and discussion of of line appears in this forum I say yes I would like them to be connected.

If they were a different buck I would say no but since they are the same buck from what I understand and will share tooling/parts then I would like to lump them all lumped together in this forum.

They're clearly meant to be evocative of one another and be able to share shelf space and look cohesive, so this exact implementation of Thundercats is obviously and demonstrably part of an overall "Classics" line of 7" figures that includes MOTU.

The figures work together. I need to see a 4 Horsemen Classics styled Mumm-Ra asap tho.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    They're clearly meant to be evocative of one another and be able to share shelf space and look cohesive, so this exact implementation of Thundercats is obviously and demonstrably part of an overall "Classics" line of 7" figures that includes MOTU.
    I think this is just a secondary result of Mattel's primary motivation: using existing tooling to save money. It's just an added bonus for fans of both properties that they're so aesthetically compatible. But as has been pointed out before, sharing tooling does not make ThunderCats a sub-line, otherwise the DC Multiverse figures that use MOTUC parts are also part of a MOTUC sub-line.

If fans want to treat them as related properties and display them as such, more power to them. (I myself plan to place them on the same shelves, but separated.) But ThunderCats is definitely its own line, not an extension of MOTUC.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I think this is just a secondary result of Mattel's primary motivation: using existing tooling to save money. It's just an added bonus for fans of both properties that they're so aesthetically compatible. But as has been pointed out before, sharing tooling does not make ThunderCats a sub-line, otherwise the DC Multiverse figures that use MOTUC parts are also part of a MOTUC sub-line.

If fans want to treat them as related properties and display them as such, more power to them. (I myself plan to place them on the same shelves, but separated.) But ThunderCats is definitely its own line, not an extension of MOTUC.
    Indeed. Thundercats was more sci-fi than fantasy and not created by Mattel. I am inclined to say they are not part of the MOTUC line, BUT if you wanted to look at the line as just CLASSICS, I could see the argument for inclusion, but I think you would need at least 1 more IP involved...(Flash Gordon, Warlord, Bravestarr, etc)
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Heroic Warrior sandrockgundam04's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oceanwalker View Post
    The figures work together. I need to see a 4 Horsemen Classics styled Mumm-Ra asap tho.
    Check out the Icon Heroes staction, it was designed by them.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post

Agreed. ThunderCats is cool and the new figures fit with MOTUC, and not to be a killjoy, but they are not a subline under the "MOTU" banner.

30th anniversary sub
    Club Filmation
    Club Etheria
    Club 200X

These were all sublines of MOTUC and are officially "part" of the line.

While ThunderCats fit in figure-wise, they are no more part of the line than the DC comics figures created using MOTUC parts. ThunderCats is an entirely different brand owned by a different company. It never had any ties to MOTU other than most likely drawing its inspiration from MOTU in the 80s. The new comic crossover series brings them together, but this happened with Superman in the 80s too and he's technically not "part" of MOTU, and his figure is not a MOTUC figure even though it uses those parts.

If they release another "checklist" poster with all the Classics figures, you surely won't see characters like Lion-O, Mumm-Ra, Superman, and Batman on it.

All that said, if you want to display them with your Classics, more power to you! Technically, Club Grayskull is its own separate line too but I display those alongside the Classics on my variant shelves.
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; October 14, 2016 at 02:06pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Indeed. Thundercats was more sci-fi than fantasy and not created by Mattel.
    For being honest, Thundercats are more fantasy than some parts of MOTUC, like for example the New Adventures. If they haven't been created and owned by another company, they could easily be considered part of the same Universe with MOTU. They work better with MOTU as franchises, or they have better "chemistry" together in comparison with other brands that officialy belong at the same Universe, and owned by the same company, like in the case of GI JoE and Transformers.

Last edited by granamyr80; October 14, 2016 at 02:33pm.

for ME...anything that uses MOTUC parts( T cats DC Multi..) is a sub line and will be displayed together in my collection...
    GIMME TOYS!-

I feel good when arguing semantics -- the thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    for ME...anything that uses MOTUC parts( T cats DC Multi..) is a sub line and will be displayed together in my collection...
    This is how I feel too... I don't collect anything DC except those that use MOTUC parts!

Heroic Warrior
    "Evil Warriors and Mutants: The Alliance of Evil from Two Worlds!"

The two Evil factions look great together!

While technically the Thundercats figures are not part of the Masters of the Universe line, they definitely display well together. The Superman figure using a similar buck makes sense to display with MOTU Classics because Superman actually met He-Man at one point in the DC comics. There's no reason there shouldn't be a MOTU / Thundercats crossover.

I like to think of it the way kids used to combine the vintage MOTU figures with the knock-offs like the Warlord line. Remember the blurb on the Warlord packaging?

"Plays with Masters of the Universe."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Despondor View Post
    While technically the Thundercats figures are not part of the Masters of the Universe line, they definitely display well together. The Superman figure using a similar buck makes sense to display with MOTU Classics because Superman actually met He-Man at one point in the DC comics. There's no reason there shouldn't be a MOTU / Thundercats crossover.

I like to think of it the way kids used to combine the vintage MOTU figures with the knock-offs like the Warlord line. Remember the blurb on the Warlord packaging?

"Plays with Masters of the Universe."
    What's funny is I recommended that line to be made by matell when they asked what other lines would we like to be made. And was asked what does warlord have to do with motu?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've been waiting for a T-Cats line since MOTUC started... it kills me that it may not continue. Fingers crossed with Super 7 but damn. Wish these were like a year earlier and we could have had the entire team and main mutants rounded out this year. :/

Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    What's funny is I recommended that line to be made by matell when they asked what other lines would we like to be made. And was asked what does warlord have to do with motu?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    The Warlord line even had a skull-faced villain, although he wasn't the main villain.

There are many aspects that the Masters of the Universe characters and story-line have in common with the Thundercats characters and story-line. Both have an evil sorcerer / wizard type of main villain. Mumm-ra and Skeletor are very similar characters, even though Mumm-ra has the ancient mummy thing going on. The main protagonists of both possess special swords that gives them extraordinary powers. Panthro is like the Man-at-Arms of the Thundercats. (I could imagine Man-at-Arms and Panthro working together on some new tank-like vehicle in an Eternian workshop or a garage on Third Earth.) Snarf and Orko are obviously meant to be the silly and clumsy comic relief characters.

I wonder if Beast-man's ability to control animals would give him control over Mumm-ra's minions, like Jackal-man, Slythe, and Monkian.

Heroic Warrior
    The Sword of Power facing the Sword of Omens, for the first time after 30 years of existence of the 2 franchises !

And in this particular case Skeletor facing Lion-O

I believe that many of us played this epic Sword fight with our figures. And thanks to the Classics, we have the chance to do it again.

Hardcore MOTUC Collector KelvAcos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by granamyr80 View Post
    In my personal canon, Chief Carnivus and the Qadians, are ancient Thunderians, related to the more evoluted Thundercats, who migrate to Eternia long before the Thundercats left Thundera.

I really like that
    My MOTUC collection here ====> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3mddgXWJ7M

Court Magician
    I would say yes. Especially with the comic cross-over.
    8 year old me is beyond giddy with the Thundercats Classics line. I was very late to the party with MOTU and MOTUC. I only started collecting at the end of 2015, and missed out on most of the subscriptions and sales, but did subscribe to Third Earth.
    Totally bummed that we may not get more Cats though.
    Last edited by revenantmedia; December 17, 2016 at 12:14pm.