Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COVER REVEAL - How He-Man Mastered the Universe: Toy to Television to the Big Screen

COVER REVEAL - How He-Man Mastered the Universe: Toy to Television to the Big Screen

Hello all,

Today is the cover reveal for my book on the MotU franchise and the important first steps it took in creating the modern media landscape. In it, I do my best to cover the history of the characters and their interpretations, with a special focus on the Filmation series and my personal favorite, the 1987 Gary Goddard film. The cover was provided by the forum's own Eamon O'Donoghue!

It will be released in early 2017 by McFarland Books. I'll post a little more about it when the release date gets closer.

I hope you enjoy it!

- Brian C. Baer
    @briancbaer

Cover Final.jpg

Awesome! All of it! Yes, do keep us posted!!!
    My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Wonderful! I've been hoping for a book like this for quite some time.
    Could you give us a bit of background on how this book came to be, why you decided to write it, how you went about the research/writing, etc? I always find this sort of background info fascinating and a help. Thanks -really looking forward to this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Heroic Warrior
    Very interesting!

Please post when it comes out and where we can order it!

Thanks for the warm reception! It should be out around Springtime, so as soon as I get the exact release date or preordering info, I'll be sure you post about it.

This book has been a dream project of mine for about a decade. I grew up with the toys and cartoons, and many occasions where my older brother and I would eat fried chicken while watching the Lundgren film. (I always wanted to try to drink a cup of BBQ sauce like Gwildor.) After casually researching behind-the-scenes stories from the movie and cartoon, along with all the debates about who created the first toys, I started saving information and getting a little obsessed. There's just so much interesting history there, along with many important firsts - the first toy turned into a cartoon, the first toy turned into live-action film - in a world where we are awaiting the FIFTH Transformers movie, I think it's important to remember who laid the groundwork for big, profitable cross-media franchises. He-Man has been overlooked for far too long in that respect.

I was lucky enough to interview some people involved with the creation of the movie, and the rest of the information came from books and magazine articles, and quite a bit from these forums and other awesome fan sites, like the Battle Ram Blog. Don't worry, I've thanked you all in the preface. (If my editor doesn't change it, that'll be called Man-E-Prefaces!)

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Very awesome! Can't wait to see this in print!

That's really cool. It's always nice to see an upcoming publication that will acknowledge the MOTU toys!

MOTU FAN since 1982

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    Thanks for the warm reception! It should be out around Springtime, so as soon as I get the exact release date or preordering info, I'll be sure you post about it.

This book has been a dream project of mine for about a decade. I grew up with the toys and cartoons, and many occasions where my older brother and I would eat fried chicken while watching the Lundgren film. (I always wanted to try to drink a cup of BBQ sauce like Gwildor.) After casually researching behind-the-scenes stories from the movie and cartoon, along with all the debates about who created the first toys, I started saving information and getting a little obsessed. There's just so much interesting history there, along with many important firsts - the first toy turned into a cartoon, the first toy turned into live-action film - in a world where we are awaiting the FIFTH Transformers movie, I think it's important to remember who laid the groundwork for big, profitable cross-media franchises. He-Man has been overlooked for far too long in that respect.

I was lucky enough to interview some people involved with the creation of the movie, and the rest of the information came from books and magazine articles, and quite a bit from these forums and other awesome fan sites, like the Battle Ram Blog. Don't worry, I've thanked you all in the preface. (If my editor doesn't change it, that'll be called Man-E-Prefaces!)
    That's great Brian! Thanks for the mention. Can't wait to read your book when it comes out! Great looking cover too

That's great, I can't wait!
    Upcoming book THE PUNISHER: THE UNTOLD STORY OF AN 80s CULT CLASSIC
    www.twitter.com/punisher_book
    www.instagram.com/punisher_book
    www.facebook.com/ThePunisher.FilmBook

very cool indeed
    Skeletor, if there's a good bone in you, send help!
    There isn't! Never has been, never will be.

Heroic Warrior
    Ooh, this looks to be very interesting indeed

Widget
    Very much looking forward to this, sounds like a great read.

Best of luck with it Brian.

G
    My Blog - www.gquests.wordpress.com
    Twitter - @geeky_g
    Editor of DWAS publication Cosmic Masque - www.dwasonline.co.uk

Hi everyone!

The publisher sent the PDF for a poster for my upcoming book. It has some blurbs (including a fantastic one from James Eatock!) and more information about the content. Still no release date yet, but I'll let you know.

Hope you like it!

Baer How He-Man Mastered the Universe POSTER.jpg

Hi everyone!

The publisher sent the PDF for a poster for my upcoming book. It has some blurbs (including a fantastic one from James Eatock!) and more information about the content. Still no release date yet, but I'll let you know.

Hope you like it!

Baer How He-Man Mastered the Universe POSTER.jpg
    Looks great, can't wait to read it!

Incidentally, I lived in the Spokane area until about 4th grade. I used to get my He-Man toys from the White Elephant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Looks great, can't wait to read it!

Incidentally, I lived in the Spokane area until about 4th grade. I used to get my He-Man toys from the White Elephant.
    Ah! Sorry I missed this.

The White Elephant is still there! Still the best place to find weird old toys.

unnamed.jpg

This was tweeted to me this morning by my publisher.

Hopefully I'll have an official release date to announce soon. It's listed on Amazon with a date of March 1st, but that's just the placeholder.

Ah! Sorry I missed this.

The White Elephant is still there! Still the best place to find weird old toys.
    Nice! I'll have to check it out next time I'm in town

So the release happened, this is the official thread as advertised by He-man.org but noone here has a copy?

Logical, due to no previews released. How are people going to buy the book if they are not able to peak inside a page or two?

Amazon says it may take 1-4 weeks to process the order (that means, by my personal 10+ years experience with Amazon, they don't have stock yet).

So how is ANY author expected to sell a book if the only available material online to preview is the cover???

We'll have at least one review soon.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    So the release happened, this is the official thread as advertised by He-man.org but noone here has a copy?

Logical, due to no previews released. How are people going to buy the book if they are not able to peak inside a page or two?

Amazon says it may take 1-4 weeks to process the order (that means, by my personal 10+ years experience with Amazon, they don't have stock yet).

So how is ANY author expected to sell a book if the only available material online to preview is the cover???
    That's a very good question. Haha.

McFarland has been terrific to work with (I have some real horror stories about the folks who put out my novel) but they are a bit old fashioned when it comes to this sort of thing. They don't tend to do the big release and preview stuff because despite some really cool pop culture titles, they're primarily a textbook company.

I hope this rollout hasn't put you off of the book altogether. I did pass along an ADR for a review on the site, and hopefully once they're shipping, there will be some more reviews online.

If there's anything that I personally can do, just let me know!

Hadn't even heard of this book until today... and promptly preordered a copy!
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Glad to have somewhat contributed my two cents at the last minute and looking forward to reading it.
    Last edited by Jox; March 19, 2017 at 10:20am.

I just got notification from Ammazon that my copy will arrive today!
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

By the way, legendary make-up artist Michael Westmore just published a book on his career which seems to cover a bit about his work on MOTU and Frank Langella's Skeletor...
    https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Man-Cr.../dp/1630761907

Quote Originally Posted by Jox View Post
    By the way, legendary make-up artist Michael Westmore just published a book on his career which seems to cover a bit about his work on MOTU and Frank Langella's Skeletor...
    https://www.amazon.com/Makeup-Man-Cr.../dp/1630761907
    Westmore has won more awards than I've had hot meals. I bet that book will be amazing! The stories he must have from Star Trek alone...

And your two cents were pivotal, my friend!