Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficially Official MEGA "Mega Man" Thread

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar

The Unofficially Official MEGA "Mega Man" Thread

I've enjoying seeing people's input in the NES Underrated Games thread, and that inspired me to make a thread devoted to all things Mega Man.

So come one, come all Mega Man fans and share your love for our favorite pixelated robot and his many adventures!

Now, I am anticipating that most folks here will say Mega Man 2 is their favorite game of the franchise. I think that is probably my favorite as well, and it definitely has a special nostalgia factor for me as it is the first MM title I ever played, at a friend's house when we were kids (funnily enough I have never played the original MM game, although my friend had and he said it was really hard; I have since watched it played through on YouTube). And as much as I love the vintage MM games, I had no idea until earlier this year that the MM gaming universe had grown as big as it has...wow!

I have the original NES cartridges for Mega Man 2, 3, 4, and 5, and in the last year I picked up Mega Man 6 which I didn't even know existed. That said, as great as the play factor is in that game I was pretty disappointed in it weapons-wise, as the arsenal has some of the same weapon types recycled from previous games yet again (you can only have so many time stoppers). And I have the SNES cartridge Mega Man X, which is really, really fun and a good challenge.

Feel free to share opinions/memories of your favorite MM games, bosses, weapons, favorites/least favorites, what have you. In fact, I will post a grid here you can feel free to copy and paste to fill in your own answers.

A couple of special mentions here...my favorite color is green, so my favorite stage color-wise is Snake Man's with his stage utterly soaked in green. I feel Snake Man himself got a little cheated though, because he doesn't have a specific weapon weakness like most of the bosses do. Some sources claim "Needle Canon" is what to use on him, but I can't get it to do much. I just end up using the Mega Canon on him, which sucks because he's like the 6th level you go to in the order I use (starting with Magnet Man), so I want to use the previous boss's weapon on him---Spark Shock---but that is way too weak on him. I much prefer it like in other MM games how you go through a specific pattern and each successive boss's weapon is the major weakness for the next boss.

Also, this may be controversial, lol, but I absolutely love Top Spin! I know it gets a lot of hate out there, but I've always loved it. And if you use it right, it can be really effective! (there are even YT vids on how to get the most out of it, lol). Funnily enough, even though the body-contact Top Spin is one of my top favorite weapons, the other body-contact weapon, Charge Kick, is one of my least favorites.

I've always been a little amazed I love MM as much as I do. I am NOT a robot guy or mechanical guy or science fiction guy, so the fact that Capcom and Nintendo made me fall in love with a franchise of games that is completely mechanical and filled with robots shows what an amazing idea this series was. I have always loved the fact that the different bosses have their own themed levels and specialized weapons. And by Mega Man himself getting to collect those weapons into arsenal, it's all just way too fun.

Long Live Mega Man!

• Favorite MM Game: Mega Man 2
    • Least Favorite MM Game: Mega Man 6
    • Favorite Levels: Bubble Man, Snake Man, Shadow Man, Dive Man, Crystal Man
    • Least Favorite Levels: Spark Man
    • Favorite Level Enemies:
    • Least Favorite Level Enemies:
    • Favorite Bosses: Air Man, Crash Man, Flash Man, Top Man, Crystal Man, Gyro Man, Wave Man
    • Least Favorite Bosses: Hard Man, Charge Man
    • Favorite Weapons: Top Spin, Crash Bomber, Shadow Blade, Air Shooter, Quick Boomerang, Rain Flush, Pharaoh Shot, Crystal Eye, Gyro Attack, Power Stone, Water Wave
    • Least Favorite Weapons: Charge Kick, Skull Barrier, Centaur Flash
    • Favorite "Fortress Bosses": Mecha Dragon
    • Least Favorite "Fortress bosses":
    • Favorite Music: Crash Man
    • Least Favorite Music:

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 23, 2018 at 11:58am.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

My brother in the past used to play Mega Man not on the NES but on SNES (Mega Man 7) and on PC (Mega Man X4).
    Unfortunately, the Mega Man 7 cartridge is gone today but he still keeps the CD version of Mega Man X4 (currently uninstalled on the computer).
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    My brother in the past used to play Mega Man not on the NES but on SNES (Mega Man 7) and on PC (Mega Man X4).
    Unfortunately, the Mega Man 7 cartridge is gone today but he still keeps the CD version of Mega Man X4 (currently uninstalled on the computer).
    Cool, I've never played any games beyond MM 6 except for the SuperNES MM X I have.

I also have a "Worlds of Power" book, which I didn't even realize did a line of NES titles. It's MM 2, and looks funny with the gun eliminated from the illustration, lol:

MM2 book.jpg
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 12, 2018 at 04:19pm.
    Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=Mer-Man's Minion;3701814]Cool, I've never played any games beyond MM 6 except for the SuperNES MM X I have.

I also have a "Worlds of Power" book, which I didn't even realize did a line of NES titles. It's MM 2, and looks funny with the gun elimanated from the illustration, lol:

Oh my God! My 6th grade Reading class had a copy of this book, and I ran right for it to read. I haven't seen it since!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I also have a "Worlds of Power" book, which I didn't even realize did a line of NES titles. It's MM 2, and looks funny with the gun elimanated from the illustration, lol:
    For whatever reason, Mega Man always had very weak artwork for his games.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I have to say, lately I have given MM 6 another chance, and it's actually quite fun. It's nowhere near as "high status" for me as MM 2 or 3 or 5, but it still is fun in its own right. One downside is that unfortunately none of the music is memorable or distinguishable IMO, but one upside is that Knight Man's stage with the castle motif is brilliantly designed and colored---it's almost hard to play through that level because I'm so in awe of the mechanical medieval fortress and the striking color schemes---best visual level in 6 by far!

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    For whatever reason, Mega Man always had very weak artwork for his games.
    I know his first game cover was infamously terrible, but I didn't mind most of the later ones (although MM2 does look odd with him being a human in a blue outfit). But this is a funny article on that very subject.

And for those of you who'd like to be nostalgic with some "Mega Man movies", here are some playthrough videos.

Mega Man

Mega Man 2

Mega Man 3

Mega Man 4

Mega Man 5

Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 12, 2018 at 04:23pm.

If you can track them down, I would highly recommend playing Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8 redone in the NES era 8-Bit style. They are complete remakes of their 16- and 32-Bit versions that, personally, I like much better than the originals...

My Mega Man collection is so vast, that I was planning on writing a huge blurb about how wonderful the MM Universe is, and that he is second only to Mario as the most recognizable video game character in the world. I enjoy every iteration of the Blue Bomber - yes, even the Ruby-Spears animated series... (in fact, I have the entire line of figures still MOC from 1994/95!) Although, I'm not a big fan of the Star Force series... it is an interesting take on MM though. But, everyone here already knows how awesome Mega Man is, right?!

Anyway, check these out... I actually have functioning NES cartridges with these ROMS on them too!

Mega Man 7 8-Bit

Mega Man 8 8-Bit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, you should check out the officially released Street Fighter X Mega Man game... it is a blast!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact: when we were still children, my best friend and I had an ongoing argument about who would win in a battle between Mega Man and Kirby... (because, y'know, the power-absorbing thing!) Well, someone at Nintendo must have heard us, because it became a reality in Super Smash Bros. !!

Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I love Mega Man so much, I have him tattooed on my arm!
    Instagram: toysgotme

Court Magician
    I loved Mega Man since #2, but I was intrigued over my friends house with #1.

The soundtracks were amazing and the games were a huge part of my childhood. The amazing thing is that they were easier for me to play as a kid on the NES than an adult (can save the game right before boss).

My favorite song from MM2 is Quickman.

It's no secret that I'm a HUGE fan of Captain N the Game Master... so, I thought I'd post some pics of our favorite robo-dude from that awesome show!

Mega Man and Mega Girl

Mega Man

More Mega Man

The MM1 Robot Masters (?!)

Dr. Wily

Yes, I even love this version of the Blue-er, green? Bomber... smokers-voice and all! The entire idea behind Captain N is so awesome (especially for a diehard Nintendork like myself), and it was full of incredible crossovers between some of Nintendo's biggest video games at the time. I was sure to tune in every Saturday - without fail!

I loved the fact that two of my all-time favorite video game characters were part of the "N Team"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    If you can track them down, I would highly recommend playing Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8 redone in the NES era 8-Bit style. They are complete remakes of their 16- and 32-Bit versions that, personally, I like much better than the originals...
    Interesting...yeah, I've never seen 7 or 8, but would gladly play them!

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumFist View Post
    I love Mega Man so much, I have him tattooed on my arm!

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I loved Mega Man since #2, but I was intrigued over my friends house with #1.

The soundtracks were amazing and the games were a huge part of my childhood. The amazing thing is that they were easier for me to play as a kid on the NES than an adult (can save the game right before boss).

My friend back then had #1 as well, but I never played it; he just said it was way hard, so we always played 2 and 3, and then later 4 and 5 when those came out. That's interesting that the games were easier for you as a kid than an adult; as an adult, some things in the games are much easier for me, but some things can still be challenging.

And yes, the MM2 soundtrack is the absolute best. Crash Man's uncharacteristically happy, optimistic, encouraging music is my favorite song!

It's no secret that I'm a HUGE fan of Captain N the Game Master... so, I thought I'd post some pics of our favorite robo-dude from that awesome show!

Yes, I even love this version of the Blue-er, green? Bomber... smokers-voice and all! The entire idea behind Captain N is so awesome (especially for a diehard Nintendork like myself), and it was full of incredible crossovers between some of Nintendo's biggest video games at the time. I was sure to tune in every Saturday - without fail!

I loved the fact that two of my all-time favorite video game characters were part of the "N Team"!!
    Oh man, "Captain N"...that's been on my Amazon Wish List for years! lol...I loved it as well, and also tuned in every Saturday. It was so cool that a cartoon was on simultaneous with current video games I was playing! (same with "The Super Mario Brothers Super Show"!)

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    And yes, the MM2 soundtrack is the absolute best. Crash Man's uncharacteristically happy, optimistic, encouraging music is my favorite song!
    MM2's Bubble Man stage music for me! I have LOVED that tune since 1988!

Oh man, "Captain N"...that's been on my Amazon Wish List for years! lol...I loved it as well, and also tuned in every Saturday. It was so cool that a cartoon was on simultaneous with current video games I was playing! (same with "The Super Mario Brothers Super Show"!)
    Oh man, where do I start?! Captain N is one of those things that only comes around once in a lifetime. It can never happen again, and it was a small miracle that it ever happened to begin with. Licensing nowadays would prevent any type of followup, sadly, but Captain N had a good run... (until the last half of the final season, when it was combined with the SMB show and production values went out the window...)

I would kill for a series of figures based on the show! Maybe a petition or kickstarter-type deal shoud happen.... hmmmm...

Also, I want Kevin and Princess Lana to be featured in Super Smash Bros. It makes perfect sense for them to show up in SSB seeing as how it has already thrown so many worlds together... plus a stage and stage music straight from the show!!

Well, I just recently had fun with a big Mega Man high!

I played MM2 several times, and went through MM3, 4, 5, and 6 as well. Man, there is just something about MM2 that keeps you going back for more---SO much fun! It just has everything coming together: the stages, the design, the characters, the colors, the sounds, the music---everything!

Just one little change I would make in MM2, as I saw someone else comment somewhere online: don't make so many of the bosses so weak against a weapon. I mean sure it's fun to take out Woodman with one fully-charged Atomic Heat blast, but it only takes 2 Air Shooters to finish off Crash Man, a few Quick Boomerangs to take out Metal Man, etc.

One really fun thing I did when I went back to MM2 was to try and defeat bosses using other weapons you don't usually use on them, particularly the Crash Bomber. That works pretty well against Wood Man, Bubble Man, Flash Man, and even Quick Man! (1 or 2 take him out after using Flash Man's Time Stopper on him) It's so much fun to use those little exploding suckers.

But, be careful! From Mega Man Wikia:

If Crash Bomber is used on Heat Man, it refills all of his Life Energy.

Whoa---not only immune to it, he feeds off of it! lol...kinda cool!

MM2's Bubble Man stage music for me! I have LOVED that tune since 1988!
    I do dig that one, too. Lots of them in MM2 are great, and this is a cool one with a unique sound.

Oh man, where do I start?! Captain N is one of those things that only comes around once in a lifetime. It can never happen again, and it was a small miracle that it ever happened to begin with. Licensing nowadays would prevent any type of followup, sadly
    That is pretty cool, yeah, that we "were there" for this one-time meshing of video game universes in a Saturday morning cartoon!
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 12, 2018 at 11:55am.

M3, what's your opinion on Mega Man 11 and the anniversary? I love watching those snippet.

NOT QUITE MY TEMPO

There's a great article in the latest Game Informer magazine about Mega Man (Rockman) 11. So far, it's sounding really positive... although, instead of Mega Man just changing colors when he uses a boss robots powers, he actually changes shape... which I'm not too big on.

Otherwise, a solid 60 fps at 1080p (or upscaled 4K) along with the classic mega-formula and plenty of extras are making me want this to come out soon!

Here is the video that Fendi was referring to:

And, if you haven't already, go pick up the Mega Man Legacy Collection vol.2... it's bargain priced and well worth it. I love these games! Although I think Mega Man 2 will always be my most revered, MM 9 is incredible as well... and, if for nothing else, the animated intros and segues plus the solid character designs make MM 8 a great game as well. Also, MM 7 cannot be left out either... why? Because it was Mega's first foray into 16-bit! I spent many a day kickin' back with MM7 back in the hey-day!

Sadly, Mega Man & Bass is mysteriously absent from the, otherwise, fantastic collection...

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    M3, what's your opinion on Mega Man 11 and the anniversary? I love watching those snippet.
    Well, I have no opinion, lol. Simply because I'm so "old school" that, aside from MM X on the SNES, I've never played anything beyond MM6 on the NES! lol...but for the franchise, and all the fans, I think it's great the li'l guy keeps going and going...and going!

I played MM2 at home again yesterday---well, the 8 bosses, and then I quit, lol (I can beat the game, but sometimes I just like to play the big 8 just for the fun and to get all the wapons). And this time I had lots of fun defeating some of the big bosses with Crash Man's awesome Crash Bomber! I just love those sound effects and the colors!

Favorite MM Game: Mega Man 2 (9 is very close second)
    Least Favorite MM Game: Mega Man 1 (though 8 is VERY close)
    Favorite Levels: Bubble Man, Air Man, Magnet Man, Skull Man, Dive Man, Toad Man, Wave Man, Charge Man, Blizzard Man, Flame Man, Splash Woman, Tornado Man, Nitro Man, Strike Man
    Least Favorite Levels: Anything from 1, Needle Man, Gemini Man, Search Man, Astro Man, first Wily stage from 8, Pump Man
    Favorite Level Enemies: Tellies and Chankey Makers from 2 are cool. Met's have always been perfect. And I love the giant octopus in Wave Man's stage.
    Least Favorite Level Enemies: Again, most everything in 1 was more frustrating or annoying that fun.
    Favorite Bosses: Metal Man, Bubble Man, Crash Man, Magnet Man, Skull Man, Pharaoh Man, Dust Man, Wave Man, Napalm Man, Charge Man, Knight Man, Shade Man, Pirate Man, Galaxy Man, Concrete Man, Hornet Man, Strike Man, Solar Man, Nitro Man
    Least Favorite Bosses: Ice Man, Astro Man, Aqua Man,
    Favorite Weapons: Fire Storm, Meta Blade, Leaf Shield, Magnet Missile, Rain Flush, Pharaoh Shot (I think?), Dust Shot (Can't remember the name), Gravity Hold, Water Wave, Wind Storm, Silver Tomahawk, Junk Shield, Black Hole Bomb, Jewel Satellite, Hornet Chaser, Water Shield
    Least Favorite Weapons: Guts Arm, Top Spin, Spark Shot (?), Power Stone (one of the worst in the series), Skull Barrier, Plant Barrier, Water Balloon
    Favorite "Fortress Bosses": Mecha Dragon, the long neck-looking dino robot
    Least Favorite "Fortress bosses": Yellow Devil, the monkey boss from 8 (by far)
    Favorite Music: Bubble Man, Wood Man, Air Man, Crash Man, Magnet Man, Hard Man, Snake Man, Skull Man, Toad Man, Dust Man, Dive Man, Wave Man, Charge Man, Wind Man, Blizzard Man, Plant Man, Flame Man, Slash Man, Galaxy Man, Tornado Man, Splash Woman, Strike Man (gets stuck in my head all the time)
    Least Favorite Music: Gemini Man, Needle Man, Crystal Man, Gravity Man, Almost everything from 8 (a couple were "okay"),
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.
    That's how winning is done." -- Rocky Balboa

Heroic Warrior
    Favorite MM game would be Mega Man 2.

I can't wait for Mega Man 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Galmorzu View Post
    Favorite MM Game: Mega Man 2 (9 is very close second)
    Favorite Level Enemies: Tellies and Chankey Makers from 2 are cool. Met's have always been perfect.
    Man, you're good; I've never taken the time to learn any enemy names. I'm sure I saw them in the instruction manuals when I got the games, but apparently I quickly forgot, as I know [b]zero[\b] enemy names. I had to look up the ones you mentioned, lol.

Least Favorite Level Enemies: Again, most everything in 1 was more frustrating or annoying that fun.
    From hearing this kind of common opinion of the first game, it's kind of amazing the franchise went on and fans were willing to give it a shot, lol.

Favorite Weapons: Fire Storm, Metal Blade, Leaf Shield, Magnet Missile, Rain Flush, Pharaoh Shot (I think?), Dust Shot (Can't remember the name), Gravity Hold, Water Wave, Wind Storm, Silver Tomahawk, Junk Shield, Black Hole Bomb, Jewel Satellite, Hornet Chaser, Water Shield
    Yup, it's called "Pharaoh Shot", and Dust Man's is "Dust Crusher". I think the Rain Flush is so cool as it's green rain (my favorite color and my favorite weather) and it takes up the entire screen!

Least Favorite Weapons: Guts Arm, Top Spin, Spark Shot (?), Power Stone (one of the worst in the series),
    Poor Top Spin, it gets no love, lol. But it does from me; it's one of my favorites! I think it's so cool. It's totally physical and I love how you can jump and spin and fall while spinning, I just love it. And at last, I'm not the only one, lol. Check these out:

Did You Know? The Top Spin Doesn't Suck - Mega Man Network

Top Spin Doesn't Suck (YouTube video)

I do agree on Spark Shot. I mean, it's cool, but it's not practical. You can't get any power-ups, and the frazzled enemies are just stuck there in your way. What's the point? It's not even a big weakness against Snake Man, which it should be, as Snake Man follows Spark Man in the boss-beating-path that I take through the game (the last 3 being Spark Man, Snake Man, Needle Man).

Power Stone is a new favorite of mine! Call me the artistic type, but I love these weapons with all this movement and flair, lol. For me, a lot of the fun of Power Stone is standing in just the right place, throwing 'em out, and [b]bam[\b], watching them take out the enemies. Fun stuff!

Favorite Music:
    You listed so many, and that's the thing---there are so many hot tracks out there!

Least Favorite Music: Gemini Man, Needle Man, Crystal Man, Gravity Man, Almost everything from 8 (a couple were "okay"),
    It seems largely that MM music falls into 2 categories: awesome, and forgettable. lol

The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    It seems largely that MM music falls into 2 categories: awesome, and forgettable. lol
    Mega Man 2 is the nearly perfect game out there for the NES. Awesome game play and awesome music! Plenty of action, a good challenge and a password feature...you can't really ask for much more (except for better cover art). And let me drop the soundtrack for everyone to enjoy (and bring back some memories):

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Mega Man 2 is the nearly perfect game out there for the NES. Awesome game play and awesome music! Plenty of action, a good challenge and a password feature...you can't really ask for much more (except for better cover art). And let me drop the soundtrack for everyone to enjoy (and bring back some memories):
    Speaking of cover art, here is the cover of the Game Informer issue I alluded to earlier:

This is a compilation of how Mega Man appeared on the cover art for each game (1 - 10)...

In case you're wondering:

Bottom row
    -MM 1
    -MM 3
    -MM 5

Middle row
    -MM 2
    -MM 8
    -MM 9
    -MM 10
    -MM 11

Top row
    -MM 4
    -MM 3 (Euro)
    -MM 7

I'm sure that they included the European MM 3 style because the U.S. version of MM 6 has him in his Rush Adapter armor (which is red and white and wouldn't fit the aesthetic of the image.)

Man, you're good; I've never taken the time to learn any enemy names. I'm sure I saw them in the instruction manuals when I got the games, but apparently I quickly forgot, as I know [b]zero[\b] enemy names. I had to look up the ones you mentioned, lol.
    Oh yeah, I totally didn't have to look them up before posting so I didn't look stupid saying "spinning garbage can looking one".

Yeah, I figured if I was going to post I should prolly look up the actual names thinking everyone else here knew them already.

From hearing this kind of common opinion of the first game, it's kind of amazing the franchise went on and fans were willing to give it a shot, lol.
    Yeah, but to be fair that's more because of the insane jump in quality for its sequel. At the time the first game came out, compared to a lot of the games at the time, I can see why it was a big deal. But good lord, it's painful to try now. And I don't just mean because of any challenge. Oof.

Yup, it's called "Pharaoh Shot", and Dust Man's is "Dust Crusher". I think the Rain Flush is so cool as it's green rain my favorite color and my favorite weather) and it takes up the entire screen!
    Oh yeah. I loved the cool charge up look of the Pharaoh Shot and how it looked to just hurl a small sun instead of shooting it from the buster. And the Dust Crusher I always just found very satisfying to use. The Rain Flush has always been fun to use as a cool twist on the full screen effect weapon. Plus I just love rain, and the neat addition of seeing the weather probe shoot into the sky before it rains, it's always impressed me that Capcom just went that extra little bit to make it look cool. Which unfortunately started to drop hard with the next game.

Poor Top Spin, it gets no love, lol. But it does from me; it's one of my favorites! I think it's so cool. It's totally physical and I love how you can jump and spin and fall while spinning, I just love it. And at last, I'm not the only one, lol. Check these out:
    Ehhhhh, it looks cool, but it's just a serious pain to use in any meaningful way (at least without some major practice). I never take out Shadow Man without taking some damage trying to get a hit to land.

I do agree on Spark Shot. I mean, it's cool, but it's not practical. You can't get any power-ups, and the frazzled enemies are just stuck there in your way. What's the point? It's not even a big weakness against Snake Man, which it should be, as Snake Man follows Spark Man in the boss-beating-path that I take through the game (the last 3 being Spark Man, Snake Man, Needle Man).

Power Stone is a new favorite of mine! Call me the artistic type, but I love these weapons with all this movement and flair, lol. For me, a lot of the fun of Power Stone is standing in just the right place, throwing 'em out, and [b]bam[\b], watching them take out the enemies. Fun stuff!
    Yeah, Spark Shock sounds neat in theory, but it just never has any real useful purpose. Not enough enemies are effected by it, and when they are, they're just in the way and don't take any more damage from the SS. And as you said, it doesn't actually do much to any of the main 8 bosses that another weapon doesn't already do better.

And wow, those Top Spin vids make it looks easy...

And Power Stone...I can't hit JACK with it. I was trying to use it on Charge Man recently, and a friend of mine was laughing hit butt off that in this one particular game, every time I used it, the rocks perfectly went right around Charge Man no matter where I tried standing.

Yeah. Gemini Man and Needle Man are just too subdued for me to like much, and something about Needle Man's always bothered me. They aren't bad, just not favorites. I think I take back Gravity Man's, as his was pretty good. But I pretty much hate everything from 8. It all sounds like weird soft jazz that makes me want to take a nap. 7 had a very different sound in 16bit, but after re-listening to a lot of it I found the actual tunes pretty good. Not in my favorites (other than Slash Man), but solid enough.
    Last edited by Galmorzu; January 24, 2018 at 11:52pm.
    "It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take,
    and keep moving forward.

Oh yeah, I totally didn't have to look them up before posting so I didn't look stupid saying "spinning garbage can looking one".
    That would be my way. Now I know my Mario enemies! From goomba to blooper to Podaboo to Boo Diddly to Chain Chomp to Ptooey, I know those guys. MM I just know ZERO. lol

Oh yeah. I loved the cool charge up look of the Pharaoh Shot and how it looked to just hurl a small sun instead of shooting it from the buster. And the Dust Crusher I always just found very satisfying to use. The Rain Flush has always been fun to use as a cool twist on the full screen effect weapon. Plus I just love rain, and the neat addition of seeing the weather probe shoot into the sky before it rains, it's always impressed me that Capcom just went that extra little bit to make it look cool. Which unfortunately started to drop hard with the next game.
    Yup, the Pharaoh Shot is fun to use; and very practical!

You say the Rain Flush has always been a "cool twist on the full screen effect weapon", but I believe it was the first full screen effect weapon? OH WAIT--no, Flash Man's Time Stopper was the first, oops (and interesting how you could never stop it once you start it. Once you go Time Stopper, there's no turning back, lol). And interesting that they did a handful of different time stopper weapons, but it's hard to really vary those. And yeah, I love that little Rain Flush "probe" that you shoot up, too.

Ehhhhh, it looks cool, but it's just a serious pain to use in any meaningful way (at least without some major practice). I never take out Shadow Man without taking some damage trying to get a hit to land.
    Well I'd be lying if I said I never took damage from Shadow Man, but I usually have no problems taking him out.

By the way, why is he Shadow Man?? Why isn't he, like, "Ninja Man"??

Yeah, Spark Shock sounds neat in theory, but it just never has any real useful purpose. Not enough enemies are effected by it, and when they are, they're just in the way and don't take any more damage from the SS. And as you said, it doesn't actually do much to any of the main 8 bosses that another weapon doesn't already do better.
    Exactly! Very cool-looking, and very cool-sounding, but that's it, lol. Why did they bother to create a weapon that doesn't end up being a weakness for any other robot?? And then it just gets in your way with all the other regular enemies. Ugh. They really missed a good opportunity to make that a very cool weapon to use. If only they made it shock an enemy, but then "fry" it away and leave you a power-up, lol. I also realize I'm being a little hypocritical here because the time-stopping weapons don't turn enemies into power-ups, and Gravity Man's Gravity Hold doesn't reap any power-ups either. But it's just cool stopping time, and it's cool making enemies go ZIP! up into the air and away from the game, lol. Spark Shock just freezes them there frying in your way, which is very annoying.

And Power Stone...I can't hit JACK with it. I was trying to use it on Charge Man recently, and a friend of mine was laughing hit butt off that in this one particular game, every time I used it, the rocks perfectly went right around Charge Man no matter where I tried standing.
    lol, I'm laughing because I know what you mean. But the more I used it throughout various levels, the more I've loved it!

Yeah. Gemini Man and Needle Man are just too subdued for me to like much, and something about Needle Man's always bothered me. They aren't bad, just not favorites. I think I take back Gravity Man's, as his was pretty good. But I pretty much hate everything from 8. It all sounds like weird soft jazz that makes me want to take a nap. 7 had a very different sound in 16bit, but after re-listening to a lot of it I found the actual tunes pretty good. Not in my favorites (other than Slash Man), but solid enough.
    I played MM3 last night, and as far as levels, I like GM's level. I'm surprised you posted it as a least favorite. The "tadpole" colonies alone are so fun, haha. And funny about MM7 wanting to lull you to sleep with weird soft jazz, lol (I've never heard it, as I only have 2-6 and then SNES's MM X). I'm with you on Needle Man's level though, I don't really care for his much at all.

Even though I had fun playing MM3 last night, it is nowhere near MM2. A lot of the levels in MM3 seem more bland color-wise. There's just not that same spark (man? haha) of fantasy and imagination to me. I do appreciate the good creativity, like Magnet Man's unique level (and his red-white-gray color scheme suits the level very well indeed), but I love the blues of Flash Man's level, the greens and blues of Bubble Man's, the wood brown and greens of Wood Man's, the reds of Quick Man's, the changing daylight of Crash Man's, etc.

And who wants to go back to 4 of the 8 levels after you beat all 8 MM3 bosses? We just went through all those levels, I don't wanna have to redo half of 'em! lol I mean, it's fun to revisit the 8 MM2 bosses, but I get frustrated/bored having to go back through 4 levels I just went through.
    Last edited by Mer-Man's Minion; January 25, 2018 at 11:32am.

And if you enjoy your Mega Man music more classical, here's this:

Well I'd be lying if I said I never took damage from Shadow Man, but I usually have no problems taking him out.

By the way, why is he Shadow Man?? Why isn't he, like, "Ninja Man"??
    Same reason Shade Man isn't Vampire Man, I guess? Actually, I thought Shade Man was really oddball being a vampire when that game first came out, but I actually really like that boss now. But Shadow Man, I guess they just figured what went well with representing shadows (since they couldn't just do a shadow version of you I guess), and Ninjas are about as perfect to represent being in the shadows as anything.

Gravity Man's Gravity Hold doesn't reap any power-ups either. But it's just cool stopping time, and it's cool making enemies go ZIP! up into the air and away from the game, lol. Spark Shock just freezes them there frying in your way, which is very annoying.
    Exactly! I don't get the item drops, but man it's fun to see a whole bunch of enemies freeze then go flying up into orbit.

One of the things I just can't enough of is using the Black Hole Bomb from 9. I just love creating it and seeing it pull enemies in. It's SOOOOO satisfying.

I played MM3 last night, and as far as levels, I like GM's level. I'm surprised you posted it as a least favorite. The "tadpole" colonies alone are so fun, haha. And funny about MM7 wanting to lull you to sleep with weird soft jazz, lol (I've never heard it, as I only have 2-6 and then SNES's MM X). I'm with you on Needle Man's level though, I don't really care for his much at all.
    Yeah, something about Gemini's stage just doesn't jive with me. It's not bad necessarily, but I just never enjoyed it. Again, maybe the music.

And it was the MM8 music that puts me to sleep, not 7. 7's music is pretty good for the most part, just doesn't quite make it into my favorites.

Even though I had fun playing MM3 last night, it is nowhere near MM2. A lot of the levels in MM3 seem more bland color-wise. There's just not that same spark (man? haha) of fantasy and imagination to me. I do appreciate the good creativity, like Magnet Man's unique level (and his red-white-gray color scheme suits the level very well indeed), but I love the blues of Flash Man's level, the greens and blues of Bubble Man's, the wood brown and greens of Wood Man's, the reds of Quick Man's, the changing daylight of Crash Man's, etc.
    Yeah, but Magnet Man has that awesome sunset in the sky at the start, Top Man's has that bright sunny glass greenhouse look with all the bright foliage inside the glass, and even Hard Man's stage I quite like the look of. And I've always liked the dark reds and blacks of Shadow Man's stage and the dark bubbling tanks of water or whatever that is midway through.

And who wants to go back to 4 of the 8 levels after you beat all 8 MM3 bosses? We just went through all those levels, I don't wanna have to redo half of 'em! lol I mean, it's fun to revisit the 8 MM2 bosses, but I get frustrated/bored having to go back through 4 levels I just went through.
    Yes! I HATE this part of that game! Especially Needle Man's stage where, if you run out of rush jet you're done for. And the one part of Spark Man's stage with the rising platforms where it's so easy to die. Those two stages actually keep me from playing MM3 more than I normally would just because I think of how frustrating those two can be and I'm just like....ehhhh, think I'll play 4 or 5 instead.

Man, I love Skull Man's stage in that. The music, the colors, the look, everything. Just fantastic.
    and keep moving forward.