Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Axel Giménez's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Love it Axel! Huge fan of the Hammerholder!
    I've taken inspiration from you and will be doing a similar thread in the fan art forum. Can't wait to see more!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Love it Axel! Huge fan of the Hammerholder!
    I've taken inspiration from you and will be doing a similar thread in the fan art forum. Can't wait to see more!

Hey, thank you very much, good friend . And of course you should do a similar thread. You have really interesting material to share .

Now, the main idea of this thread is to share the designs of new characters, but in the minicomics work process, I was lucky and had the chance to also design some other items, such as worlds, fortresses, and other artifacts.
    As a bonus, and before sharing another character design, here is the first design of that kind that I worked for the first panel of the first page of minicomic #5.

The Horde World: I worked on it without knowing that Mattel already had a design for it. One of the characteristics of the Evil Horde, is the bat that constantly uses as emblem on its warriors, vehicles, etc. So the first obvious idea I had was that the bat emblem should be prominent in a world consumed by the Evil Horde's machinery. The first design made by Mattel, didn't contemplate that detail, and that is why they, after seeing my version, decided to take it for the map of the Horde Empire included with the Unnamed One figure.
    Horde World (Mattel Early Version).jpgHorde World (Final Design).jpgHorde World (Mattel Final Version).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; May 18, 2017 at 03:27pm.

Axel, that's brilliant! Really love seeing these drawings. I also appreciate seeing the initial Horde World design (could work as the other side of your finalized design?).
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Thanks for the peek at the original design vs. the final design. The giant bat morif was an awesome idea and I'm glad they adopted it and revised the map.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Now is the turn of another new character from the minicomic #5... JET PAK.

He had to look like a tech guy with a jet pack, some kind of 1930's pulp comic sci-fi hero. My first idea to design him, as the note in one of my sketches says, was to take the concept from the space armor included in the cardboard cutouts with the vintage Castle Grayskull playset, playing with the idea that if ever this new character was made as a figure, fans could have the option to keep him as a new character, or just as an articulated version of the castle armor.

Another of my suggestions was that his head had the features of Buster Crabbe, as a kind of tribute to '30s Flash Gordon.

Jet Pak (Final Design).jpg

Jet Pak (Early Concept).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; June 26, 2017 at 08:58pm.

Jet Pak is great! He should come in a two pack with Man Crystal!
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Jet Pak is great! He should come in a two pack with Man Crystal!
    And why would you like to have them with that option, and not each separately?

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    Now is the turn of another new character from the minicomic #5... JET PAK.

He had to look like a tech guy with a jet pack, some kind of 1930's pulp comic sci-fi hero. My first idea to design him, as the note in one of my sketches says, was to take the concept from the space armor included in the cardboard cutouts with the vintage Castle Grayskull playset, playing with the idea that if ever this new character was made as a figure, fans could have the option to keep him as a new character, or just as an articulated version of the castle armor.

Another of my suggestions was that his head had the features of Buster Crabbe, as a kind of tribute to '30s Flash Gordon.

Attachment 110912Attachment 110914Attachment 110913
    I never cared much for that suit but your Flash Gordon idea is great! I´m a huge Flash Gordon fan, so anything Flash Gordon related is great...except for the life action series from 2007 reboot disaster ...that was...well awful.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

The Castle really should have just come with an articulated Jet Pak. Even if he wasn't invented yet, they had to have known that people would have been thrilled by the cardboard cutout being replaced with an actual figure.

Hey, thanks for all that information. I know I had read it at the time, but I had no idea where to look for it. I wish that Super 7 could develop the final designs of all those characters, and if not, I'd like to find some free time to do it on my own
    Nice did the designs of these guys get finished by some one else (Nate, Dave Wellington)or they were never fished fully

As someone who would really love to see an articulated Grayskull suit (with a helmet that could fit over most human heads)I was initially, I admit, initially to see the armor used by a Trollan warrior in the new mini comics.

Over time I have become a lot more relaxed. While I would prefer the suit/Jet Pak to be loyal in design to the original cardboard stand (without the Man-E part stealing), I would certainly welcome a Jet Pak figure for the chance of an articulated suit to stand in my Castle in place of the plastic statue we currently have.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

And why would you like to have them with that option, and not each separately?
    Just to get these characters out faster
    Danielsan

Planet Claire has pink air
    All the trees are red
    No one ever dies there
    No one has a head
    The B-52's

https://www.facebook.com/danielsan52

Well Masters, let's say goodbye to 2016 with some of the most interesting concepts that I had the chance to work for Masters of the Universe Classics minicomic #5...

LADY SLITHER & her SNAKE LAIR!

I remember that one of the first guidelines for Lady Slither was to try to reuse the slave girl who appears in one of the panels of the minicomic "King of the Snakemen", from the vintage line. But after analyzing the chances of doing that for a moment, I thought that if Lady Slither would be the first snake woman with her own fortress, leader of a group of villains and with potential to be a new figure someday, she should be more than just a human girl in a bikini. Also, if I had taken just the design of her head, as can be seen in one of my early concepts, the reference to that slave girl would have been almost unnoticed. It was then that I decided to take the design to her head from Zilora, the leader of the Snake Clan, from the Filmation "The Time Corridor" episode, not only to play with the idea of a possible connection between both characters, but keeping in mind one of the main premises at the moment of designing new characters/figures, which was to reuse parts from figures already made, or also make it clear that some new parts could be reused in other figures in the future. I'd love to have Lady Slither as a figure, but also Zilora.

For Snake Lair, the only guideline was that I had to give it the appearance of a playset. That's why at first glance, it gives the feel of just being a wall, or no more than two walls, just like vintage playsets like Castle Grayskull or Snake Mountain. Can even be seen the hinges on its right end, in the final version that appeared in the minicomic.
    And as always I have the chance, I tried to bring to life one of the concepts of a vintage playset which was never made, but finally decided to work on a new design, reusing only the handle of the Castle Grayskull playset, from Classics line.

LadySlither (Final Design).jpg

King of the Snake Men Minicomic - Lady Slither Early Reference.jpg Lady Slither & Snake Lair (Early Concepts).jpg Attachment 111001

The page from minicomic #5, with Lady Slither and her Snake Lair in all its glory.

MOTUC Minicomic #5 - Snake Lair & Lady Slither.jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; June 26, 2017 at 10:06pm.

Awesome!!!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Well Masters, let's say goodbye to 2016 with some of the most interesting concepts that I had the chance to work for Masters of the Universe Classics minicomic #5...

LADY SLITHER & her SNAKE LAIR!

I remember that one of the first guidelines for Lady Slither was to try to reuse the slave girl who appears in one of the panels of the minicomic "King of the Snakemen", from the vintage line. But after analyzing the chances of doing that for a moment, I thought that if Lady Slither would be the first snake woman with her own fortress, leader of a group of villains and with potential to be a new figure someday, she should be more than just a human girl in a bikini. Also, if I had taken just the design of her head, as can be seen in one of my early concepts, the reference to that slave girl would have been almost unnoticed. It was then that I decided to take the design to her head from Zilora, the leader of the Snake Clan, from the Filmation "The Time Corridor" episode, not only to play with the idea of a possible connection between both characters, but keeping in mind one of the main premises at the moment of designing new characters/figures, which was to reuse parts from figures already made, or also make it clear that some new parts could be reused in other figures in the future. I'd love to have Lady Slither as a figure, but also Zilora.

For Snake Lair, the only guideline was that I had to give it the appearance of a playset. That's why at first glance, it gives the feel of just being a wall, or no more than two walls, just like vintage playsets like Castle Grayskull or Snake Mountain. Can even be seen the hinges on its right end, in the final version that appeared in the minicomic.
    And as always I have the chance, I tried to bring to life one of the concepts of a vintage playset which was never made, but finally decided to work on a new design, reusing only the handle of the Castle Grayskull playset, from Classics line.

Attachment 110999Attachment 111000Attachment 111001
    This (both Lady Slither and her lair) is one of my very favorites of the new designs that have been conceived for this line. You really got the feel and the spirit of MOTU spot on.

This is awesome! The designs for the lair and Lady S are great. Lady Slither is a definite "must have." That swappable snake tail is just so, so cool. I love the sort of "opposite" thing going on with that. King Hiss has a swappable upper torso and Lady Slither has the swappable lower torso. She was in the top five most wanted characters during the big polls last time (number 2 after Karg, in fact) so hopefully Super 7 will release her as a figure!

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

Lady Slither is awesome…seeing that Axel, makes me want a figure of her even more!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior

Axel Giménez's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

So so awesome! I would love it if Lady Slither's bottom snake half were able to attach to 200x King Hiss's upper snake half! One can dream.

And I never noticed the hinges before on the lair in the mini comic! Great Easter egg!
    Last edited by yeahthatsme1973; January 1, 2017 at 10:59am.

One of my favorite things about Lady Slither's lair is the little sarcophagus that looks like it's about to fall off the cliff. Any story in mind when you created that! Who's rotting away in that thing? The head on it almost looks like the original king hiss....almost.

Nice to hear that there was consideration to have the Slave Girl appear in MOTUC, even if it was to evolve her into something else and the final design was something entirely different. I always thought it would have been fun if Lady Slither had a male slave at her side in that mini-comic panel.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, Lodar, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Granita, Teela, Hordak head, Dylamug, Twiggets, Trollans, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Fantastic. She has a nice Frazetta/Conan old school fantasy vibe. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    One of my favorite things about Lady Slither's lair is the little sarcophagus that looks like it's about to fall off the cliff. Any story in mind when you created that! Who's rotting away in that thing? The head on it almost looks like the original king hiss....almost.
    You know, I tried to include in the design of the fortress various elements of torture and to retain prisoners, as well as others for defense.

Among them can be seen a wooden pillory at the top of the tower, a cannon on the ledge of the same tower, and shackles under it, which by their size would be used to retain giants. And the punctual element that you ask for is nothing more than an iron maiden.

By the way, the cannon is the same one we can see in Adora's room at the Frigth Zone, from the Filmation She-Ra cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    This is awesome! The designs for the lair and Lady S are great. Lady Slither is a definite "must have." That swappable snake tail is just so, so cool. I love the sort of "opposite" thing going on with that. King Hiss has a swappable upper torso and Lady Slither has the swappable lower torso. She was in the top five most wanted characters during the big polls last time (number 2 after Karg, in fact) so hopefully Super 7 will release her as a figure!
    King Hssss's opposite option in exchange of parts was one of my reasons why I proposed to Mattel the option to transform her! Good catch

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Nice to hear that there was consideration to have the Slave Girl appear in MOTUC, even if it was to evolve her into something else and the final design was something entirely different. I always thought it would have been fun if Lady Slither had a male slave at her side in that mini-comic panel.
    Why I didn't think of that at the time of drawing that page?!!!! Nice suggestion!

- - - Updated - - -

And It's time for more new character designs from those I worked for minicomic #5.

ROBO WOMAN & MAN CRYSTAL! I remember I began to work on them in a single sheet and on the same day, so here they are...

The description for Robo Woman was: "A gold mech "female" robot". Since the technological facet in Masters of the Universe, especially in its beginnings, usually has a style reminiscent of the 1930's sci-fi, the obvious reference that came to my head was the robot Maria, from the German film "Metropolis". That is even more noticeable in my early version of Robo Woman. During the process, I decided to make a new version for her head, taking the design of the Sorceress helmet from the New Adventures version. And as I said before, one of the main guidelines for designing these new characters was to reuse parts from other figures, but since there were no female robot figures up to that point, I thought about "reusing" the body design of a character who might be a potential figure, especially considering that the fans had always clamored for her. Granita. Although she is a comet warrior, the design of her body fits perfectly to be reused as a robot. One of my primary goals in doing so was to encourage and demonstrate to Mattel that if they made Granita, all those molds, except the head, could be reused for a new character.

Robo Woman (Final Design).jpg

And now Man-Crystal. The description to him was: "A warrior made of hard clear crystal". Once again, my goal was to design a new character that in case of being made as a figure, give the option to fans of two interpretations of it, as I did with Jet Pak. In this case, Man Crystal could be a new character, or the version of the spirit of Grayskull that appears in one of the early minicomics "King of Castle Grayskull". Following the same line, I thought of the Esmeral Staff of Avion as his accessory. Until that point, the version (my favorite) of that staff from the "Siege of Avion" minicomic drawn by Alcala, had not been made for the figures, so it was a perfect chance to call for it . In addition, its design was in line with the nature of the character.

Man Crystal (Final Design).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; June 26, 2017 at 09:01pm.

Robo Woman is a figure I definitely want. I picked up on the Metropolis vibe the instant I saw her, and I wanted her to be mine.

That came out a little creepier than I intended.

Sweet! That nod to Metropolis is awesome!!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I've always loved this nod to 'Metropolis' with Robo Woman. So cool, Axel! In my mind, she is an emissary of Princess Kirma from the Brazilian Editora Abril MOTU comics.

OFFICIAL WEBSITE