Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Axel Giménez's official designs and sketches for MOTU Classics

Axel, the cutaway poster of Grayskull had the best art of all the maps. I loved it! I wish we could see more of these for all the locations in MOTU (or at least big ones like Snake Mountain, Palace of Eternos, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Starship Eternia, and Moon Nordor).

I really love how you took so much inspiration from that Obelisk demon. I hope that guy gets a figure just for your support!

It was great to see all the eras combined (Filmation and MYP details), but I was really sorry we didn't get a good view of the throne with the Eye of the Galaxy. I guess the toy's design created the most trouble for that since in the cartoons the throne seemed to be on the other end of the castle rather than the front.
    Last edited by gbagok; January 21, 2017 at 08:43pm.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

THEIR KILLIN TEH LIEN !! uaxuctum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    Axel, the cutaway poster of Grayskull had the best art of all the maps. I loved it! I wish we could see more of these for all the locations in MOTU (or at least big ones like Snake Mountain, Palace of Eternos, Fright Zone, Crystal Castle, Starship Eternia, and Moon Nordor).
    And the Three Towers of Eternia, Castle Brightmoon, Whispering Woods, the Fright Cave (vintage version) with the Slime Pit, the underground city of Onnor, the Mutant Mothership, the Mystic Mountains (with Avion and Andreenos), and Granamyr's lair at Darksmoke.

Maybe several others, such as the "Summer" Royal Palace (200X version), the Laughing Swan Inn, Mystacor, Castle Chill, Beast Island, Levitan, Sebrian's Home, Galactic City, Gorn City, Anwat Gar, the Temple of the Sun, the House of Shokoti, and Lady Slither's Snake Lair.

Plus, we still need some more planet maps! Notably those of Horde World, Primus, Denebria, and Trolla. Maybe a few others, such as Phantos.

An approach for the "lesser" locations could be to include several smaller-scale mapd in a "Landmarks of" map (say, a "Landmarks of Eternia" map with the Mystic Mountains, Darksmoke, the Temple of the Sun, and the House of Shokoti).

It was great to see all the eras combined (Filmation and MYP details), but I was really sorry we didn't get a good view of the throne with the Eye of the Galaxy. I guess the toy's design created the most trouble for that since in the cartoons the throne seemed to be on the other end of the castle rather than the front.
    Plus the Filmation throne looks totally different from the Great Eye of the Galaxy, so it's nigh on impossible to blend them into some unified thing (just like with the vintage Fright Cave and the Filmation Fright Zone, which are diametrically opposed in "look-and-feel" and in my view would be quite absurd to try to merge them and much better that they remained distinct locations on different planets, the former on Preternia and the latter on Etheria).

I really like how he solved the integration of the Walkway of the Elders with the movie hall above and the 200X Crystal Chamber below, unifying the inner chasms of the castle featured in its different canons.

My understanding is that there are actually two thrones inside the castle: the Filmation one (with the Mirror of Knowledge), on the lower floor, reachable by crossing the Walkway of the Elders and entering a chamber after it (not featured in the cutaway map); and the Great Eye of the Galaxy, on the upper floor, directly behind the skull façade and on the opposite side of the building from the Filmation throne. The former would function as a "consultation room", where the Sorceress receives guests seeking her knowledge/advice, whereas the latter would be like a throne hall, where the Power of Grayskull "resides" and is more conceived for "ceremonial" purposes.

I really love how you took so much inspiration from that Obelisk demon. I hope that guy gets a figure just for your support!
    Hear! Hear!

I'm so rooting for the Obelisk Warriors (and not just for Demonor, but all FOUR of them, including Estrelar, the second Heroic warrior exclusively featured in the Estrela-version that evens out the amount of warriors received by each faction).

The fact that there are Estrela variants of Demonor and Reptar/Reptail, could be leveraged to make these characters' designs more interesting:

I'm thinking Demonor (who looks reddish/orangish in the Alcalá original, but purplish in the Estrela redrawring) could be fantastically enhanced if they integrated both color looks into a single unified design (possibly by means of translucency and/or directional color change, whereby a reddish base color would get an added yellowish/orangish tinge, or an added bluish/purplish tinge, depending on how you looked at it), making the figure look like a fiery, truly otherworldly, demonic being, the Master of the Otherworld.

Reptar/Reptail is yellow in the Alcalá original (and has a mainly reptilian look there, with a somewhat mammalian-looking face), but looks bluish (and more amphibian/fish-like) in the Estrela redrawing (which I've only recently found out was in fact included there, since it appears in a different page from the other three in the Estrela version). So both versions could be combined into a chameleonic being with (water- and/or heat-activated) color-changing ability between more yellowish and more bluish hues (and ideally also alternate heads for the Alcalá and the Estrela versions). I'm not sure if it would be possible for him two have more than two looks in one (the normal/inactive one, one activated by heat, and another activated by cold, and maybe even a fourth one activated by water!—say, the inactive state would be yellowish, the warm state more reddish, the cold state more greenish, and the water-activated state more bluish), so that by applying different conditions to different parts of the figure, many different chromatic patterns would be revealed, turning the character into a very visually interesting one, and making him truly earn the label of Master of Chameleonic Transformation.
    Last edited by uaxuctum; January 22, 2017 at 10:43am. Reason: a few additions
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

It's just brilliant. I don't feel like I can adequately describe its majesty with words.

The castle cut out is a piece of art that will be remembered in MOTU history forever. An unbelievable amount of love, skill, and dedication went into its making and it shows.
    "..."

Wow, I'm so excited to see what comes next on this thread. Love your work Axel!
    I think I learnt more about being a good person from He-man, then I did in church.

I am ashamed that my castle poster remains folded up and tossed in a closet. At least it has some Filmation cels to keep it company... I need to get it all framed.

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    As a fan of Masters of the Universe, I have enjoyed every one of the projects I had the chance to do for the franchise, but there are some that I treasure as my masterpieces. One of them is the cut of Grayskull Castle that I was assigned to design. As in almost all projects, general guidelines were given to me, and then, complete freedom to make my personal contributions. Following my work style for the line, and coinciding with one of the purposes of MOTUC, my goal in this case would be to try to include as many elements as possible, from the different versions of Grayskull.

The inks for the final piece were by Diana, and the colors by Nate.

Attachment 111333

At the time of designing and working on this poster, to try to be as precise as possible in every detail, I decided to make this poster in separate parts, so final piece, is composed of more than fifty different drawings. In dealing with so many images, although I will not post each one of them, I will try to share a few, so in this case, beyond these already shared images, I will post some others during the week.

Attachment 111334Attachment 111335Attachment 111336
    This is one of my favorite pieces of modern MOTU art. So many easter eggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    The Castle Grayskull cutaway map is, far and away, my favorite map of the MOTUC map series. You guys totally outdid yourselves with this!

So, how's about a Snake Mountain one next? Whadaya say, Super 7?
    You know, designing these kind of posters requires a lot of time and work, but I'd love to work on the Snake Mountain cutaway!

Everything is a real wonder!! Thanks a lot for all of this, Axel!

Thank you all for your good comments about our work on this poster. As I said, it wasn't easy to do, but it was worth it and I'm very satisfied with the result

Now, including the characters to the poster were my suggestion and since they were added at the end of the project when the available time was VERY tight, they were almost out of the project. For that very reason, I had discarded the idea of including She-Ra or any other character from Princess of Power, but I remember Nate suggesting insistently and rightly: "If we include all the main leaders, She-Ra should be there." So we stretched the strings of time a little longer, and she was added at the last minute as the last character and "detail" included in the poster. Obviously, given that she is from Etheria, I thought of including a dimensional portal behind her, to give the idea that she had just arrived at Eternia , perhaps in aid of He-Man to defend Castle Grayskull from the forces of evil

Castle Grayskull Cutaway (Characters 12).jpg

Of course, as I always do whenever I get the chance, some of the images are nodding to different scenes of Masters of the Universe. He-Man and Skeletor are fighting with the same poses of one of the scenes of their final battle from the movie . And the postures of the Evil Horde, are a nod to the illustration of the cardback of the vintage figure of Hordak
    Castle Grayskull Cutaway (Characters 6).jpgCastle Grayskull Cutaway (Characters 7).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; May 18, 2017 at 05:29pm.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    The castle cutaway is my favorite poster!
    Same here...how epic would it be to have a Grayskull with these details and at this scale? haha.

As I said, working on a piece that required so much detail, gave me the chance to include different characters, beasts, magical artifacts and other elements from almost all versions of Masters of the Universe, and the best thing is that they fit perfectly with each other, even though they come from different sources. Here are some examples of this.

Castle Grayskull Cutaway (Details & Added Parts 1a).jpgCastle Grayskull Cutaway (Details & Added Parts 2).jpgCastle Grayskull Cutaway (Details & Added Parts 15a).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; May 18, 2017 at 05:44pm.

Really great artworks! Love all of them. Can you post your designs for Missle Toe and the others from Skeleteen's crew? Pretty please!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by horokoth View Post
    Really great artworks! Love all of them. Can you post your designs for Missle Toe and the others from Skeleteen's crew? Pretty please!
    I second this. Would love to see ideas for Bug Eye too.

Well Masters, this time I want to share with all of you, something of my happiness for having achieved one more milestone in my personal history with Masters of the Universe. Since 2013, I have had the chance to work on many projects of Masters of the Universe, and this week, I could see that one of the characters I designed at the time, is finally a figure sculpted with the usual exquisite quality by Four Horsemen.

As many know, Fangor is one of the new characters created by Scott Neitlich and introduced in the minicomics of the Classics line, and that like several of these characters, appeared almost imperceptibly in them, as can be seen in one of the attached images . That's why at the time, starting just with those tiny pictures as a reference, Scott trusted in me to make a complete design of some of those new characters.

The guidelines would be the usual... Reuse parts of figures already made, and total freedom to make my contributions, but keeping in mind in this case, that Fangor would be some kind of Man-At-Arms of the Snake Men.

Fang-Or (Final Design).jpg
    Last edited by AXOR; June 26, 2017 at 09:52pm.

Congratulations on Fangor (Fang-Or?) getting a figure! I loved your design and I'm really glad he's appearing this early in Super7's run. I hope Lady Slither and Quick Flick (and many of your other sketches) are soon to follow! I still love your Classicized 200x Hawk too!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Congratulations on Fangor (Fang-Or?) getting a figure! I loved your design and I'm really glad he's appearing this early in Super7's run. I hope Lady Slither and Quick Flick (and many of your other sketches) are soon to follow! I still love your Classicized 200x Hawk too!
    Thanks man! Based on fan preferences Lady Slither would also have many chances to be a figure. If you ask me, other of the new characters that I'd like to see as figures, are The Great Black Wizard and Red Shadow, but honestly, not because I designed them, but because I like the nature of the concept of each of them. For example, I always liked the characters related to nature and wildlife, and that's why I like Red Shadow. I see him as a perfect partner to Moss Man. But well, it's just my preference, and in that sense, the fans have the last word.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    As many know, Fangor is one of the new characters created by Scott Neitlich and introduced in the minicomics of the Classics line, and that like several of these characters, appeared almost imperceptibly in them, as can be seen in one of the attached images . That's why at the time, starting just with those tiny pictures as a reference, Scott trusted in me to make a complete design of some of those new characters.
    TG, if you had just substituted Fangor instead in your 30th Anniversary slot.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    TG, if you had just substituted Fangor instead in your 30th Anniversary slot.
    What is done, done is my friend, and I believe that if we are fair, the positive balance is MUCH greater than the negative in Scott's legacy for the line. The good thing is that Classics continues, and even with everything already done, there are still many attractive options to continue offering on the line. Just look at what was recently announced by Super 7, and even the Power-Con exclusives (which will be great!)

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Thanks man! Based on fan preferences Lady Slither would also have many chances to be a figure. If you ask me, other of the new characters that I'd like to see as figures, are The Great Black Wizard and Red Shadow, but honestly, not because I designed them, but because I like the nature of the concept of each of them. For example, I always liked the characters related to nature and wildlife, and that's why I like Red Shadow. I see him as a perfect partner to Moss Man. But well, it's just my preference, and in that sense, the fans have the last word.
    I like Red Shadow too. I hope he gets made at some point.

Quick Flick would also be a nice addition to the Classics line. I love the fact that we're getting more Snake Men!

I saw your design of Robowoman which could reuse Granita's body. I don't recall seeing a Granita picture like the one you did for Robowoman though. I was wondering if you had any unseen Granita art?
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    What is done, done is my friend, and I believe that if we are fair, the positive balance is MUCH greater than the negative in Scott's legacy for the line. The good thing is that Classics continues, and even with everything already done, there are still many attractive options to continue offering on the line. Just look at what was recently announced by Super 7, and even the Power-Con exclusives (which will be great!)
    I know, but Fangor would have went well with Draego-Man that year. It's both a regret and compliment to TG, since Fangor makes for a nice fit.

Speaking of Snake Men, I hope we see more, like Quick Flick, get made too.

Keep those ideas and artwork coming!

Axel, did Mattel ever share any of the 2011 Create A Character contest entries with you for inspiration for new characters? I bet there are a lot of great ideas just laying around from that contest.

Well Masters, this time I want to share with all of you, something of my happiness for having achieved one more milestone in my personal history with Masters of the Universe. Since 2013, I have had the chance to work on many projects of Masters of the Universe, and this week, I could see that one of the characters I designed at the time, is finally a figure sculpted with the usual exquisite quality by Four Horsemen.

The guidelines would be the usual... Reuse parts of figures already made, and total freedom to make my contributions, but keeping in mind in this case, that Fangor would be some kind of Man-At-Arms of the Snake Men.

Attachment 111422Attachment 111423Attachment 111424
    Congrats on Fangor! He's my favorite of the reveals this week! He looks fantastic!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Unless I have missed it somewhere, Red Shadow (not to mention GBW) still requires explanation as to role and function. We have Red Beast (the concept Gygor buck type character, not the red Alcala Beast-man variant) and Beast Lord, whom we kinda understand where they fit in, but the Shadow remains a mystery.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    Unless I have missed it somewhere, Red Shadow (not to mention GBW) still requires explanation as to role and function. We have Red Beast (the concept Gygor buck type character, not the red Alcala Beast-man variant) and Beast Lord, whom we kinda understand where they fit in, but the Shadow remains a mystery.
    I actually asked ToyGuru about Red Shadow in his old answers thread. He said Red Shadow was some kind of prisoner that had a metal mask permanently placed over his head, a la "The Man in the Iron Mask".

If he had a toy in the 80's, his action feature would have had his red stripe appear on his back when dipped in water. No idea what the red stripe was supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinobot View Post
    I actually asked ToyGuru about Red Shadow in his old answers thread. He said Red Shadow was some kind of prisoner that had a metal mask permanently placed over his head, a la "The Man in the Iron Mask".

If he had a toy in the 80's, his action feature would have had his red stripe appear on his back when dipped in water. No idea what the red stripe was supposed to be.
    Thanks Dinobot. Indeed an answer that raises more questions ... who is he? Why is he a prisoner? How was he released? What if any powers other than a water-raised red (angry?) streak down his back?
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Regarding Fangor, when I first saw the official reveal, I wonder if the small tools may be attached somewhere (in the belt logically).
    Now I see that the original design includes this feature, I Wonder why it has not been implemented on the final figure. Was it blocking the articulations ? ...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe they could attach on the back of the belt
    Last edited by DrumMaster; January 29, 2017 at 04:55am.