Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 143 Discussion -Loyal Subjects, Sideshow, Super7 & more

Roast Gooble Dinner - Episode 143 Discussion -Loyal Subjects, Sideshow, Super7 & more

Episode 143 of He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner is here!
    We hope you're hungry.

Val Staples, Danielle Gelehrter, Nate Baertsch and Rob Base are back to discuss He-Man and She-Ra.

In this episode they discuss
    Loyal Subjects Action Vinyls,
    limited edition variants,
    Black Friday woes,
    Action Vinyls in Toys'R'Us and Walmart,
    Sideshow MOTU statues,
    what do we want next in Classics,
    what vehicle do we want in Classics,
    what 5" vintage style figures do we want from Super7,
    what 5" vintage style beast do we want from Super7,
    and much more!

Intro/Outro info:
    none

Another fan contribution are episode wallpapers and backgrounds, created by Matt Tyree also know as Tyree on the forums. Matt is commercial illustrator who you can find out more about at www.tyreeonline.com

Also, don't forget the Roast Gooble Dinner iPhone App, which is great for organizing and downloading current and past episodes. Click here to get yours today!

And if you have a comment or a question, please call us at (310) 933-5993 or at our Skype account "roastgooble" and leave a voicemail (in Skype, please go to Call Phones and enter roastgooble as the phone number and dial in. Please do not add roastgooble to your contact list as we won't accept the request. Sorry!) We'll try to work your voicemail into the show, so please call! Otherwise, you can e-mail us at gooble (at) he-man (dot) org. One or more of the hosts will read your e-mail on the show. Please keep e-mails short and sweet!

So pull up your chair and fill up your plate! It's time to chow down on a tasty serving of fandom here on He-Man.org's Roast Gooble Dinner!

Recorded on January 18, 2017
    Runtime: 1 hour, 34 minutes, 04 seconds

Direct link for Episode 143

Subscription info:

Link to subscribe with iTunes
    or
    Direct link to RSS feed
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Yes! Time to take the dog for an extra long walk. Thomas the boxer sends his thanks, RGD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Elder Councilman
    In regards to the retro-styled figures, I really hope we get a Keldor.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

vintage 5" Keldor would be awesome!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Still listening, but I like the idea of the flocked Beast Man in classics, but he should come with an alternative head to make an old "Dare/He-Ro" version Beast Man.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, UNCLE MONTORK & DREE-ELLE, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

I will be checking this out later. In regards to my wish list for 5" style figures from Super7:

• 8-back style figures, similar to what was done in Classics for Mer-Man and Skeletor - but in vintage style size/articulation
    • 5" toys based on prototypes like Tony Guerrero He-Man/Skeletor/Teela/Mer-Man, Mark Taylor's early b-sheets, etc
    • Unproduced stuff like Eldor, He-Ro, Gyrattacker etc
    • Hard to get stuff, like the Laser figures
    • Mini comics figures - green Sorceress, blue vest Adam, various Alcala beasties, Masks of Power demons, etc

I would think Filmation figures would work great in vintage style. I tend to think simplified cartoon style figures look better in a smaller scale.

I loved how Danielle went from being interested in the Loyal Subjects figures until the price came up. I've moaned about it before but $15ish for a blind box is crazy. And they're so ugly. They all look like they sucked on lemons.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Seconds after this episode ended, I messaged the guys saying, "I can't believe I forgot to mention 200x-style King Miro for Classics!" He's a must, IMO.

Art by Tom Bryski from a Fwoosh article written by Brian C. Rooney
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Another great episode. Looking forward to the next one already.

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Seconds after this episode ended, I messaged the guys saying, "I can't believe I forgot to mention 200x-style King Miro for Classics!" He's a must, IMO.
    LOL, yeah I agree! As the grandfather of the two lead heroes (He-Man and She-Ra) and father of the major villain (Keldor/Skeletor), Miro is def one of the major figures from the mythology left to make into a Classics figure!

And I do hope they follow something at least close to Tom's design as well!
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Move over Queen Sparkle, Danielle is the new queen of the Twigget Army!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2017!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Interesting program, but somehow I seem to be still out of the boat with respect to what it seems to be the general taste for MOTUC... The results from the latest poll barely represents me, and the lists on this episode were not that inpiring for me. I think I'm on Val's side when he says that the main driver is design and not the relevance of the characters in the mythos/media.

Speaking of that, once again I'm amazed that no mention to Sagitar was done (or at least I didn't listen to it if he was mentioned), since he's one of the most visually striking figures left to be made IMO (and I'm starting to think that won't happen anyways, he simply does not seem to have traction in the fans, or everyone bought the idea that including an oversized in the polls is a capital sin).

Another thinking: when I collected Star Wars, my approach was to recreate a world, every creature and character was ok for me, because it shaped the whole world I was trying to reproduce with action figures: a cantina, a band of pirates, the corrupt politicians, the soldiers, the innocents, the robots, the heroes, the braves, the cowards, etc... However, with MOTU my approach has been always different: I bought the idea (since I was a child) that every character was MASTER of something... a devoted warrior/wizard, capable of supernatural things, with skills or powers beyond the common people... hey, they were the Masters Of The Universe, and that's why the idea of just common people, cookers, children, singers, jesters, barbies, little cute creatures and so on are not exactly what I'm looking for in this line.

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    Interesting program, but somehow I seem to be still out of the boat with respect to what it seems to be the general taste for MOTUC... The results from the latest poll barely represents me, and the lists on this episode were not that inpiring for me. I think I'm on Val's side when he says that the main driver is design and not the relevance of the characters in the mythos/media.

Speaking of that, once again I'm amazed that no mention to Sagitar was done (or at least I didn't listen to it if he was mentioned), since he's one of the most visually striking figures left to be made IMO (and I'm starting to think that won't happen anyways, he simply does not seem to have traction in the fans, or everyone bought the idea that including an oversized in the polls is a capital sin).

Another thinking: when I collected Star Wars, my approach was to recreate a world, every creature and character was ok for me, because it shaped the whole world I was trying to reproduce with action figures: a cantina, a band of pirates, the corrupt politicians, the soldiers, the innocents, the robots, the heroes, the braves, the cowards, etc... However, with MOTU my approach has been always different: I bought the idea (since I was a child) that every character was MASTER of something... a devoted warrior/wizard, capable of supernatural things, with skills or powers beyond the common people... hey, they were the Masters Of The Universe, and that's why the idea of just common people, cookers, children, singers, jesters, barbies, little cute creatures and so on are not exactly what I'm looking for in this line.
    I've always felt there are two main motivations for collecting action figures, especially with MOTU. You either want things based on nostalgia (i.e. characters remembered fondly from childhood) or you want things that look "cool." For most people there is probably some bleeding over between the two to some extent, but I feel you're largley motivated by one or the other. I'm definitely in the "nostalgia" camp, but I love when I get awesome looking things that I don't remember well, such as Procrustus. I can certainly appreciate the views and desires of those who are only (or more) interested in the overall look and design, but I hope that they in turn understand where collectors like me are coming from. Luckily in Classics, there has been a pretty healthy does of BOTH!
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2017!!!

Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey Squall Starburst She-Ra ScratchinSound Catra Grot Caz Drissi Crystal Moonbeam/Sun Dancer Meliac NA Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Kowla Red Eye Brightmoon Palace Guards

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    I've always felt there are two main motivations for collecting action figures, especially with MOTU. You either want things based on nostalgia (i.e. characters remembered fondly from childhood) or you want things that look "cool." For most people there is probably some bleeding over between the two to some extent, but I feel you're largley motivated by one or the other. I'm definitely in the "nostalgia" camp, but I love when I get awesome looking things that I don't remember well, such as Procrustus. I can certainly appreciate the views and desires of those who are only (or more) interested in the overall look and design, but I hope that they in turn understand where collectors like me are coming from. Luckily in Classics, there has been a pretty healthy does of BOTH!
    I think I have some of both motivations, so I can understand where you come from to some extend. Today I discovered I was really satisfied with the face sculpt of Club Grayskull MAA reveal... simply awesome, and that was pure nostalgia: MAA was my very first MOTU toy, always my most beloved character (so yes, I hate Clamp Champ and TG for what the Classics canomn turned out for Duncan). I was one of the happy fans that got crazy (in the positive sense) with the inclusion of Procrustus (and I have him). So, yes, I think the line has had something for everyone, and with today's reveals I feel all goes back to balance (from my point of view). However, Sagitar will be still my most desired character to be produced yet.

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    This episode made me thankful I don't like or collect the Loyal Subjects line. Yikes. Hard to find, overpriced, and a lack of information from the company.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Move over Queen Sparkle, Danielle is the new queen of the Twigget Army!
    You know it!
    Twigget Power!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    LOL, yeah I agree! As the grandfather of the two lead heroes (He-Man and She-Ra) and father of the major villain (Keldor/Skeletor), Miro is def one of the major figures from the mythology left to make into a Classics figure!

And I do hope they follow something at least close to Tom's design as well!
    Thanks, Gbagok! I appreciate that and I'm glad you dig it. When I was working on this one, I kinda mixed the MYP/200X design with the new mini-comic design. I like how it turned out. I even threw in a nod to Filmation...can you see it?

And thank you, Danielle! We always appreciate your support.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    That's how I feel about Spirit. Adora's steed is a recipient of the Powers of Grayskull yet he doesn't have his own figure. Really hope Super7 will work out an interchangeable Spirit/Swifty for those of us that consider Spirit important and those that missed out on Swifty..

Another great episode guys! Hoping the next one will talk about the NYTF reveals... Can't wait to hear the inside info on those bad boys & girls!

Quote Originally Posted by Oz-Scott View Post
    That's how I feel about Spirit. Adora's steed is a recipient of the Powers of Grayskull yet he doesn't have his own figure. Really hope Super7 will work out an interchangeable Spirit/Swifty for those of us that consider Spirit important and those that missed out on Swifty..

Another great episode guys! Hoping the next one will talk about the NYTF reveals... Can't wait to hear the inside info on those bad boys & girls!
    I have heard this for years and would love clarity. How is there no Spirit? The mask and wings come off making Swiftwind into Spirit... What am i missing?

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I have heard this for years and would love clarity. How is there no Spirit? The mask and wings come off making Swiftwind into Spirit... What am i missing?
    None of these images are mine, but...

Spirit:
    White horse with no saddle, no neck adornment, no plug in wing holes, no flying wind swept mane.
    Yellow and red head piece.

Swift Wind figure:

Swift Wind Figure without accessories:
    With no wings, he has glaringly obvious plug holes, his neck adornment is glued on and he doesn't have the yellow and red head dress. His mane should also be hanging down/relaxed. Maybe with the exception of a few strands for Adora to hold onto as she did in the cartoon.

It would be like saying "Just take the armor off Battle Cat and that's your Cringer." We did that in the 80's and it was never satisfying. Classics is a chance to fix that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

None of these images are mine, but...

Spirit:
    White horse with no saddle, no neck adornment, no plug in wing holes, no flying wind swept mane.
    Yellow and red head piece.
    http://www.frankshemanpage.net/devlan03.JPG

Swift Wind figure:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ATGCnE8MR2...engers+021.JPG

Swift Wind Figure without accessories:
    With no wings, he has glaringly obvious plug holes, his neck adornment is glued on and he doesn't have the yellow and red head dress. His mane should also be hanging down/relaxed. Maybe with the exception of a few strands for Adora to hold onto as she did in the cartoon.
    https://anerdoccurrence.files.wordpr.../sw_spirit.jpg

It would be like saying "Just take the armor off Battle Cat and that's your Cringer." We did that in the 80's and it was never satisfying. Classics is a chance to fix that.
    I am sorry i just can't see the need for Spirit. I personally think what we have is adequate. But i will buy another version if it's made, i just don't need it. I'm more hopeful we get Charger or Stridor before another Spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    I'm more hopeful we get Charger or Stridor before another Spirit.
    We won't be getting "another Spirit", as we never had one to begin with. The Swift Wind figure was never meant to be Spirit.

We won't be getting "another Spirit", as we never had one to begin with. The Swift Wind figure was never meant to be Spirit.
    It's a GLARING void in the collection. Spirit would have been a great Power Con exclusive, especially considering he would've needed very little tooling, and there was actually new tooling allowed for this year's power con exclusives (apparently).

I think if they gave us a new version of Adora, with a better tunic, or even the DC comics version with the blue tunic and the horde bat on it, and package that with Spirit, we would have a good option for a release for him.

And just because one or two fans here don't Think there's a need for him, doesn't mean there isn't. A lot of the princess of power fans have migrated to Facebook, and have not been voicing their opinion's here for various reasons. Hopefully super7 is aware of just how many princess of power fans there are.
    A Want List: Granita, Dylamug, Ghost, Horde Mummy, Karg, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Starburst She-Ra, Mini-Comic Catra, Storm, Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, The Enchantress, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro, Dree-Elle & Uncle Montork.

Filmation Variants: She-Ra, Bow, Mantenna, Leech, Entrapta, Grizzlor, Prince Adam, Mer-Man

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    It's a GLARING void in the collection. Spirit would have been a great Power Con exclusive, especially considering he would've needed very little tooling, and there was actually new tooling allowed for this year's power con exclusives (apparently).

I think if they gave us a new version of Adora, with a better tunic, or even the DC comics version with the blue tunic and the horde bat on it, and package that with Spirit, we would have a good option for a release for him.

And just because one or two fans here don't Think there's a need for him, doesn't mean there isn't. A lot of the princess of power fans have migrated to Facebook, and have not been voicing their opinion's here for various reasons. Hopefully super7 is aware of just how many princess of power fans there are.
    Preach it Brian! Although the Twiggets are higher on my list than Spirit I would gladly take him
    Most Wanted Kittrina, Lady Slither, Hunga, Sagitar, Master Sebrian, Dree Elle,Uncle Montork,King Miro,Butthead, Hoove, Spinwit, Nocturna,Kayo, Lizzor, Artilla, Vizar, Staghorn, Twiggets, Drissi, Crystoll, Caz, Bubblor, Three Beast,Great Black Wizard, Major Header, Ra-Jar, Red Beast,Kay-La, Red Shadow,Gladiator, Bandwidth, Negator, SawTooth, Skeleteen, Tataran, Lt. Andra, Bug Eye, and MissleToe.