Page 4 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Super7 MOTU Vintage 5.5" Wave One - He-Man, Skeletor, She-Ra, Hordak

Well these look great. I was always planning to pick up He-Ro and Eldor if they were released but these vintage style filmation figures are a complete surprise.

It's strange I discovered MOTU before the filmation series was released and the classic toy/mini comic designs have always been my personal favorite versions of the characters, so while I thought the Club Grayskull figures were well done I haven't felt the need to collect them and have stuck with the MOTUC Collectors Choice series. However seeing these vintage filmation figures has me excited to pick up the full set. They just turned out so good, that Skeletor!

So now I'll need to keep picking up Collectors Choice for my MOTUC collection, start buying these new vintage scale figures, and if Super7 does start up Thundercats again find money for that as well.

It looks like Super7 is just going to destroy my reasonable and carefully managed toy budget in 0217.

Heroic Warrior
    These look really cool!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rioblast View Post
    I wonder/hope if we will FINALLY get to see how the "book of spells" hologram stickers look like.

Also, I really hope He-ro's armor gets vac-metalized for 100% vintage accuracy.
    If he doesn't look like this:

Then he better look like this

or this

If there is no Vac-Metal, it is not a vintage He-Ro.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    Also, while Classics remain a direct to consumer product only, the vintage line will be sold wholesale. So specialty shops and such can stock it, which is really cool!

Please tell me that you heard this from a reliable source. That would be great!
    The only Guy that has been demanding a continuation/In Scale Toy-Line of the Vintage MOTU since 200X Died.

Quote Originally Posted by Haldore View Post
    Please tell me that you heard this from a reliable source. That would be great!
    Yep. Brian from Super 7 just confirmed it in Pixel Dan's interview which just went up. I'd love to know which retailers that will include in Australia. I'll be transported back to 1983 seeing that old card hanging in an actual store! skip to the 8 min mark on this video:

YES!!! Finally!!! I need to calm down before I can post an opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

I always said that you could throw some original Masters of the Universe He-man and Skeletor's on original card backing and that it will sell in any store at any time.

You have to stay away from that $20 price point. That is why Turtles and WWe selll. No Mother and Father are willing to shell out that kind of money. They can get a new video game for the price of three figures or less.

That is why the market is dying. Get the toy's back to the rightful owners. The days of super articulated adult owned stuff needs to end. Back to imagination.
    Last edited by Haldore; February 20, 2017 at 04:55am.
    The only Guy that has been demanding a continuation/In Scale Toy-Line of the Vintage MOTU since 200X Died.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I'd love for them to do the following characters in this style:-

The Goddess
    Oo-Larr
    Karg (if they get the rights to him)
    Granita
    Bow (in MOTU scale)
    POP Cartoon style Horde
    Fang-Or
    Scorpia
    Shadow Weaver
    Octavia
    Adora
    Shokoti
    Icer
    Batros
    Vultak
    Plundor
    Strongarm (or Strong-Or)
    Evilseed
    Count Marzo
    Hawke
    Miro
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

A big fan of Slush Head
    These vintage figures are a dream come true! Super 7 was able to capture the vintage essence perfectly
    I don't know why people complain about She-Ra , that's the figure I always wanted as a kid and they finally made her and perfectly.
    This is super exciting. THANK YOU SUPER 7!!!

I will buy all the neo vintage stuff !

Please consider also making wave 88 characters
    - Strobo
    - Horde Snake Trooper
    - Lord Gr'Asp
    - Hot Shot
    - Hor Roar

And as many Filmation and mini comic characters as you like
    Heck make everybody in this style even NA characters!! YAY!!
    Last edited by Mike Bock; February 20, 2017 at 10:53am.
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvulis View Post
    I hope they will include original action features and this back card:
    Although I'm not an MOC guy, I would love to have a POG card. I'm hoping they do that instead of using the standard cardback.

Anyway, I am thrilled to see plans for He-Ro and Eldor to finally be made as they were intended to be back in the day. I was thrilled to see them in classics, too, mind you, but I still have always wanted what was supposed to have been on my shelf. I am hoping these are available separately, as I definitely want an extra of He-Ro to sit on Turbodactyl (he's been waiting decades for that, poor little dino), although I'd be fine if the two are offered as a set. I'll be getting at least two of each, one set to go with the modern 5.5" stuff like the Terrors, and one set to go with the actual MOTU/POG stuff.

As for the TV based figures, I like 'em quite a bit, but I'm not as thrilled with them as I would have been for some un-made vintage figure. They look good, like something we could have seen back then, although She-Ra does look to need a little work (especially so she isn't looking up all the time; I'm thinking this is a really early prototype). I'm in for them, certainly, but I really hope they focus more on stuff we didn't get than stylistic re-dos of existing characters; I really want to see what that unused prototype body mentioned a while back is all about. Regardless, it's good to see that they are intent on continuing with the 5.5" figures; as someone who has been with the line since the first figures came out, the idea of adding to the vintage line like this makes it hard for this old dragon to be grumpy...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I really hope they focus more on stuff we didn't get than stylistic re-dos of existing characters
    Ditto. She-Ra is a snap-buy for me, but honestly I'm on a very tight toy budget and it's hard for me to come up with ~$75 for (slight) variations of three figures I already have. It's not that I dislike them - they are gorgeous and give me goose-bumps! It's just that there are so many other ways to spend that money on MOTU that would better enhance my existing collection. Someday I'll get these, but not soon.

However, not everybody has He-Man and Skeletor from the 1980s! If Super7 is going to be successful with a vintage style line, they need customers above and beyond those of us who already have those old toys! And realistically, people might be hard pressed to buy into a MOTU toy line that doesn't offer the staple figures.

Vintage style figures will be a hard market to build imo. So many adult collectors prefer the detail that motuc offers. Others will simply be heavily invested with a motuc collection that they won't want to change horses mid-stream (not everyone can collect both). That said, between the cartoons on Netflix, the upcoming movie, and us 80s kids hitting mid-life crisis age, there might be a new market springing up for the Vintage line. They are cheaper than Classics. They match the old figures (for returning fans like me), and they are the most iconic line - especially if they offer (near) original He-Man and Skeletor figures!

So I think it was the right call to make these. They provide an excellent starting point for anybody wanting to break into the retro style toys. Hopefully they will draw people to the line and we can start getting new characters with cool action features.
    Last edited by crimhead; February 20, 2017 at 11:32am.
    Super7 5.75" Want List:
    - Lord Gr'Asp
    - Fangor
    - Camo Khan
    - Vultak
    - Horde Mummy
    - Anti-Eternia He-Man
    - Strong Arm
    - Vikor
    - Sorceress + POP remakes (Filmation style)

so excited for these! the vintage look will always hold a special place in my heart! so it's super awesome we are getting characters that were never produced and getting to add She-Ra in!

i would like to see She-Ra have a fabric skirt and cape, this would allow her to work with all vehicles and it's not like the vintage Figures never had fabric pieces (Prince Adam with his vest and He-Ro has a fabric cape).

but i am happy to support this line and looking forward to more characters in this style!

They will be available at specialty shops? How exciting!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

After we get Wave on with, Eldor,.Hero, Skeli, Heman, Hordak and Shera.
    I want so much, Vintage Filmation Merman and Bestman, a black Zodak, a new King Hiss, Filmation Queen Marlena and Randor as Wave 2.
    I bet my eggs, those Wave would sell like hot cakes worldwide.
    Plese go ahead.Super7.
    tempo tempo

Heroic Warrior
    Dear lord......What if Super 7 finally gave us vintage versions of Movie He-Man and Skeletor?

Heroic Warrior
    I really like this line! I hope to see Marlena and a Filmation Orko!

And then Shadow Weaver, Melaktha and the Masks of Power Demons!

The He-Ro and Eldor are musts for me (really hope they can source an original Eldor to work from like Brain says in the video) but the Filmation style ones will probably be a pass for me, just not my thing. The She-Ra does look like she'd fit in with the original line though IMO, a Shadow Weaver in this style could be sweet.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Kayo, Vizar, Hoove, Lizorr

UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    Trade my Red Stone He-Ro Staff for a Green one

I'm most excited for He-Ro and Eldor. I wonder if they'll be available at specialty shops as well or if it will just be the as seen on tv ones.

Skeletor's Right Hand Man Megalodon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    The He-Ro and Eldor are musts for me (really hope they can source an original Eldor to work from they Brain says in the video) but the Filmation style ones will probably be a pass for me, just not my thing. The She-Ra does look like she'd fit in with the original line though IMO, a Shadow Weaver in this style could be sweet.
    Yea why did he say He-Ro was good to work off of but the Eldor got "Denied" wonder why some snooty fan didn't want to share? Typical....

Love these. But I hope super 7 changes their minds on te issues of the 80s figures. Elder and hero will look odd next to the 35 year old gummy figures from 82. They can do changes,but I really want new vintage figures.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

So glad these are making it to retail. Hopefully some will make it to Australia.
    The one figure I've always wanted in this style is Bow. Please make it happen Super7.

Don't want to go on about it but I think Super7 are a ways off in assuming we all have the originals already so don't need reissues. I only ever had two, Whiplash and Webstor and later got my hands on all the Commemorative series except Moss Man. So a ton I don't have, plus I'd buy even the ones I have again to get straight weapons, for display MIB, army building etc.
    Last edited by Fandabidozi; February 21, 2017 at 12:32am.

Did Eddy Mosqueda ever end up selling the vintage Eldor test shot? I seem to remember something about it being for sale.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Fandabidozi View Post
    Don't want to go on about it but I think Super7 are a ways off in assuming we all have the originals already so don't need reissues.
    I think there are very much aware of this, which is why they are releasing the core characters. If they thought all their customers had a vintage collection already, they'd probably be giving us exclusively characters who never had a vintage motu figure.

Filmation style "remakes" are an attempted compromise. Those without the vintage toys can still start their collections with a He-Man, Hordak, and Skeletor - very close to the original figures. Those of us who have the old figures still get something new and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Fandabidozi View Post
    I'd buy even the ones I have again to get straight weapons, for display MIB, army building etc.
    Some people would buy a rerelease of a figure they have. But it's a good bet those same people will also buy these filmation versions. Other people (like me) will never buy commemorative double of somebody they already own! But many of us will eagerly buy a new version of that character.

This wave is giving us three "new" characters to the vintage line, plus three classic characters in filmation colours. I think that's a good ratio.
    Last edited by crimhead; February 21, 2017 at 07:21am.
    Super7 5.75" Want List:
    - Lord Gr'Asp
    - Fangor
    - Camo Khan
    - Vultak
    - Horde Mummy
    - Anti-Eternia He-Man
    - Strong Arm
    - Vikor

I think straight up re-releases would sell well among the general public. There are millions of people who played with these things as a kid.

Widget
    I'm sure you're right that straight re-makes would sell very well. But would they sell as well? The question is:

1. How many people would by a re-release but would't buy a Filmation style remake?
    2. How many people would by a Filmation variant but would't buy a straight remake?
    3. Which number is bigger?
    Super7 5.75" Want List:
    - Lord Gr'Asp
    - Fangor
    - Camo Khan
    - Vultak
    - Horde Mummy
    - Anti-Eternia He-Man
    - Strong Arm
    - Vikor

Heroic Warrior
    I think this is a fantastic idea, and I'm psyched about getting He-Ro, Eldor, and a MOTU-style She-Ra in particular.

I'd be in for new characters, but (unpopular opinion alert) I'm hoping they don't make too many. There's no way I'd be able to not buy them, but at this point with MOTUC being so deep, I really don't want to go back to adding too much to the vintage line.

There are a small number of figures I'd love - the 'shouldas' from back in the day - Queen Marlena, Shadow Weaver, Catra (MOTU style), and maybe a handful of guest-star types that I really liked...Kittrina, Marzo, Evilseed and Icer come to mind, but even then I feel like that's a lot.

I'm reaching a point where I'm trying to collect less...but MOTU has always been my main collecting focus, so it's hard to say no!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."