Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Vintage Style Super7 5.75 Toy Fair reveals official discussion - w/ poll results

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Reilly View Post
    I'm all for doing characters like Shadow Weaver or She-Ra in MotU vintage style. But Beast Man and Man-At-Arms already were rather disappointing reveals for me, as out of eight figures, six are Filmation-based already. I'd much rather like to see figure thrown into the mix like an "original sculpt" Mer-Man, Cardback Art Ram Man, or Magenta-Armor Faker, than Filmation Orko and Sorceress. On one side, I'm relieved that I can cherrypick the line and save money. On the other side, it's not using the potential I saw in it.
    Totally agreed.

And honestly, we already got a vintage Filmation Orko. He came out in 1984. Maybe not the greatest sculpt in the world, but it seems a bit redundant to make another one. (It's even stamped Filmation on the bottom!)

I could see another take on a vintage style Filmation Sorceress. She's pricey on the secondary market, and the action feature/flying bird idea resulted in some changes to her costume, vs the source material.

I'd really love an "original sculpt" Mer-Man. I'd go crazy over that.

Releasing the same characters over and over again gets boring. I'm hoping to see lots of unmade and original characters! Although figures like She-ra or other POP or NA are very welcome as it will be great to see them made in the same style as vintage MOTU!
    "..."

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Releasing the same characters over and over again gets boring. I'm hoping to see lots of unmade and original characters! Although figures like She-ra or other POP or NA are very welcome as it will be great to see them made in the same style as vintage MOTU!
    I definitely would like to see more PoP in the vintage MOTU style... the old PoP figures looked so out of place next to the beefy He-Man figures... (poor Bow...)
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

I would love to have a vintage version of NA he-man and Skeletor. I am probably in the minority here but I love those designs.

Chris
    Is not not licking toads

Totally Dyslexic
    Mara, Darius and Crita in that scale would be amazing!

Especially if you make Mara and Crita with rooted hair to create both their looks with removable skirt, Toga, helmet and cape like the vintage MOTU/POP figures.

Now those i would buy in a heartbeat!
    Last edited by Niki; March 17, 2018 at 08:59am. Reason: Critas name was spelled wrong
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Widget
    I am with you 100%! I think NA would look great in this style — probably what it should have been in the first place!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbryan View Post
    I would love to have a vintage version of NA he-man and Skeletor. I am probably in the minority here but I love those designs.

Chris
    You are not alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Flaherty View Post
    I am with you 100%! I think NA would look great in this style — probably what it should have been in the first place!
    Agreed... these would look awesome! And it would be like if MOTU had continued in the same style, yet "futurized!"

Heroic Warrior
    I agree that the poll results are pretty dull. I love Trap-Jaw, but how many do we need? Or Beast Man or Man-At-Arms for that matter?

Obviously we're getting the main characters, but here's hoping Super7 mixes equal parts heavy hitters, and more obscure, weirder characters. Old Concept characters. Beasts. New Adventures. That's what gets me excited about this line. At this point, I'm actually more excited about the potential for this line than I am about Classics or Club Grayskull.

I am concerned that the push to get this into retail will limit characters selection. But with Toys R Us shutting down, maybe that isn't happening anymore? Seems like that was the obvious choice to get these into stores.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnarliehog View Post
    I agree that the poll results are pretty dull. I love Trap-Jaw, but how many do we need? Or Beast Man or Man-At-Arms for that matter?

Obviously we're getting the main characters, but here's hoping Super7 mixes equal parts heavy hitters, and more obscure, weirder characters. Old Concept characters. Beasts. New Adventures. That's what gets me excited about this line. At this point, I'm actually more excited about the potential for this line than I am about Classics or Club Grayskull.

I am concerned that the push to get this into retail will limit characters selection. But with Toys R Us shutting down, maybe that isn't happening anymore? Seems like that was the obvious choice to get these into stores.
    To be honest I think the concept of getting these to retail was just colossal waste of time. Even before they announced TRU was terminal I had my doubts about seeing these at retail or at least in the way people would like to see them at retail. Itís not 1984 anymore. Heck itís not even 2004 anymore. I think people expecting these to be significantly cheaper at brick and mortar stores are going to be sorely disappointed. Price-wise Walmart was our best case scenario but I really donít see them selling these. I think Target would be more likely than Walmart but I have a bad feeling ďRetailĒ means - FYE, Game Stop, and/or Best Buy. Which is probably going to limit the amount of these we actually see on the shelves. If these donít make it to retail I have to question how well previously released characters are going to sell online. Retail is the perfect place for rehashings of old familiar characters. I think the Filmation versions of previously released characters will potentially pick up a lot of non-collectors on the fringe if they do end up at a prominent retail store but I donít see that happening otherwise. If these Filmations are only available online I think even a number of collectors are going to debate whether to get them or not at the current price + shipping. Donít forget that Filmation versions of these previously released characters already exist maybe not in vintage form but in the Classics line. Which are arguably better (more articulated and poseable) figures. Not my preference but Iím just saying. Does the existence of those cut into sales of these figures? I am really hoping for the best for us but I definitely am skeptical about a few things. What do you guys/girls think?
    Last edited by whakojacko; March 19, 2018 at 07:04pm.

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    To be honest I think the concept of getting these to retail was just colossal waste of time. Price-wise Walmart was our best case scenario but I really donít see them selling these. I think Target would be more likely than Walmart but I have a bad feeling ďRetailĒ means - FYE, Game Stop, and/or Best Buy. Which is probably going to limit the amount of these we actually see on the shelves.
    Obviously I am curious about how the TRU situation will impact this line as it was one "no brainer" retail partner for these. That being said I think Target and Barnes and Noble are both likely options for retail distribution on these figures. Target has been carving out a more dedicated "collector corner" for merchandise away from the toy aisle where they sell alot of their nostalgia properties along with all of the Funko brands and things like the Stranger Things figures... I bought my 5.5" Zorn figure in that section of Target. So they might have an appetite for this kind of line. Barnes and Noble also seems like it might take a flyer on this retro style figure. They definitely stocked the retro Reaction figures there, so a different style retro line might also be up their alley.

Widget
    Well... First of all I guess I should have said our best case scenario is that Walmart, Target, KMart, FYE, Barnes and Noble, etc ALL take a piece of the action. The more options the better.

Actually PantherCult, your post made me think of something we all might want to consider as far as availability goes. Even if Target does take these they’re likely to be a part of their “Collector’s Corner” not the regular toy department which probably means that we are going to only get about 6 figures on the peg at a time. Although realistically the situation might not be any better if they were part of the regular toy aisle these days lol.

I’m not the biggest Walmart fan but I soooo hope they are a part of this if it happens. The number of stores they have + a decent online presence where you can have a lot of these items shipped for free directly to the store.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    Target has been carving out a more dedicated "collector corner" for merchandise away from the toy aisle where they sell alot of their nostalgia properties along with all of the Funko brands and things like the Stranger Things figures... I bought my 5.5" Zorn figure in that section of Target. So they might have an appetite for this kind of line.
    Yeah I picked up my Zorn figures there too. I’m hoping they end up carrying all of the Savage World figures partially the ThunderCats too.
    Last edited by whakojacko; March 19, 2018 at 08:11pm.

I would love to go into a store and purchase MOTU figures again. Especially figures that look like the ones from my childhood. I guess that's why I like the Savage World line from Funko. I am looking forward to seeing these.
    Help me finish my MOTU Classics collection:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...gure-Want-List

Holy crap I am extremely disappointed in the poll results.

NOT a fan of the Filmation thing. It feels like a novelty rather than like the old line actually continuing. I figured the results would be bad, but that at least a couple of my preferences would make it. No translucent green goddess? No Photog? No He-Ro? No Eldor? Seriously?

I was bonkers over MOTU before the cartoon and never really liked the filiation styling.

I'm hoping that to some degree the Super7 guys will let the refined reason of the minority of hardcore collectors prevail over the casually considered whims of the mob.

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by beast brain View Post
    Holy crap I am extremely disappointed in the poll results.

NOT a fan of the Filmation thing. It feels like a novelty rather than like the old line actually continuing. I figured the results would be bad, but that at least a couple of my preferences would make it. No translucent green goddess? No Photog? No He-Ro? No Eldor? Seriously?

I was bonkers over MOTU before the cartoon and never really liked the filiation styling.

I'm hoping that to some degree the Super7 guys will let the refined reason of the minority of hardcore collectors prevail over the casually considered whims of the mob.
    He-Ro and Eldor are announced already they were shown even before the FILMATION variant versions of Skeletor, She-Ra or Hordak were shown.

So those two are coming anyway
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I definitely would like to see more PoP in the vintage MOTU style... the old PoP figures looked so out of place next to the beefy He-Man figures... (poor Bow...)
    I completely agree! I hope that we at least get Catra, Shadow Weaver, Bow and Glimmer!

It would have been a disaster if these had ended up at TRU. Too many people don't live near a TRU. I have only one store and then I have to drive 8 million miles to go to any other.

Of course, their site spends 99% of its time being sold out of anything anybody would actually want and tries in vain to sell things that people don't want.

The whole retail idea on these seems to have come from Mattel and it seems like a bust. There's no activity on this line whatsoever. When can we expect to see product on a shelf, somewhere?? And we're already doing lame fan polls when there's no figures even available.

My interest is dead, frankly. I was never planning on buying much at the high price point these things are at, but now I don't care if I don't even get Skeletor or not.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    The timing of the the official launch (still planned for the Fall) would have prevented TRU from being a factor anyway. I agree Super 7's price would have had a hard time at retail, but as Mattel came to them supporting the idea, production numbers should increase for a lower price point. Honestly, with Funko I their own vintage style line, I would expect that to be a factor as well. The prototypes are looking fabulous from the last show. With the right push, coupled with a new She-ra series for product recognition, these could do well, and with the wrong push fail miserably. But they will definitely accomplish one thing that has been absent at least 14 years: bring people a chance to buy into their childhood MOTU experience at retail.

Due to the potential financial risk, however (and the fact both companies are known for it) I do expect these to be somewhat limited production--just like last time--to virtually assure at least some success. For at least the first couple waves, and possibly with chase variants.
    Last edited by DennyCrane; March 27, 2018 at 01:41pm.
    Shop DC Collectibles for Pop Culture Entertainment -
    Hot Toys, Action Figures, Game & Hobby, Comic Book, Retro / Vintage & More!
    https://DCCollect.com ē #24Tuesday ē Free Shipping ē More!

Get Social for the latest news and reviews, product updates and sale announcements:
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Pinterest

Heroic Warrior
    So are these still comming to retail???
    I was wondering if it was TRU can they just released them now instead waiting.
    I thought they were going to FYE because they are supposed to be setting up a super 7 section in some FYE stores.

Give me a Kittrina with catnip mixed into the plastic, some filmation style horde troopers, and for the love of god give me that She-Ra figure in all black with a horde crossbow.

Widget
    Question: Funko have created MOTUPOPs. So they must have some sort of property licence. Can they then make a MOTU Savage World line?

Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    Question: Funko have created MOTUPOPs. So they must have some sort of property licence. Can they then make a MOTU Savage World line?
    Wow!! I wish FUNKO could do MOTU in Savage World!! That would mean paying only 10 bucks for a figure instead of 20!!

I wonder how the licensing works?
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Well now since they are selling them I would guess they are not going to retail

Quote Originally Posted by tmthor View Post
    Well now since they are selling them I would guess they are not going to retail
    I was hoping that Super7 would be able to strike a deal with Hot Topic, Target, and FYE... heck, maybe even GameStop and Best Buy.

Funko has done it, and I believe it has helped to spread their product... who knows, maybe sometime in the future?

Widget
    I suppose the more direct route to consumers would be Amazon (or Ebay) - if that takes off, they could still try to get a big distributor on board. But at least that way their product gets broad visibility. And the entry barrier is much much lower.