Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar

Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

Ever since the Create-a-Character contest I officially caught the design bug. I pitched up a sketch pad and pencil and have been drawing since. Having been a fan forever and seeing cool concepts like He-Ro and Elder really made me wonder if Princess of Power had any abandoned concepts as well. When I first saw the Bubble Carriage Driver I knew she had to have been the character that eventually was dropped for Bubble Power She-Ra. I eventually got to chat with Axel, someone I hadn't see since Comic-Con many many years ago when he was at DC Comics, and found a kindred spirit who saw the potential for the POP brand to return, as well as expand. So I've spent several years working on my own She-Ra characters and stories for fun.

Fast forward to Power-Con and the Sander Twins' POP presentation. SPYDRA! KRYSTALA! The Bubble Carriage (Effervesca) was driven by JOYA! The WHISPERING WOODS! VOLCANA! AMBER! Axel and I began talking and...

"...I wonder what Spydra would look like?"

So it began...

I started designing stuff hoping that A) I could eventually customize some of these concepts in plastic, and B) make vintage versions of them for my personal collection. Along comes Super 7 and it all feels like a possibility now. So Axel and I collaborated, and we wanted to share some stuff with you guys.

Here's the first one some of you may have seen before: BUBBELLE - Bubbly Beauty: Based on the Joya concept.

Fictional bio:

Bubbelle is a magical scientist, much like Entrapta. However, where Entrapta's concentration was on capture, Bubbelle focused on escape. Her years on Mysticor studying all kinds of potions culminated in her greatest invention, her Bubble Wand. Able to produce bubbles for a variety of uses to prevent capture, Bubbelle became the Horde's public enemy #1 when it was revealed her soap solution can stop and, in some cases, reverse the effects of the Slime Pit. A master escape artist, she faked her own demise during the Horde invasion and subsequently went into deep seclusion. To this day, neither rebel or hordsemen know if she's even alive. However, on rare occasions, twiggets have reported seeing glimpses of her Bubble Carriage silently floating through the Whispering Woods on a trail of bubbles. She-Ra hopes the myth of Bubbelle is true so she can find her to aid against the Evil Horde by adding four words to her arsenal - "Sword-to-Bubble Wand!"

Hope you like it. More to come.

A huge huge thank you to org member Mann-E for his endless patience for guiding me through this process.
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOVE that concept drawing! Would LOVE a figure of her in MOTUC (love white haired, but young, characters!) ....& I like the Name way better than Joya IMHO! Great Job & Great color scheme! (like bubles have rainbow oils in them, maybe the white hair has a "Mother of Pearl" iridescent subtle "wash" or over-spray ??? Love Her. Multi-pack! Bubbelle, Toy She-Ra, Toy Catra (both original versions w/ pretty non-filmation faces. iow, Catra the HOT Younger "Jealous Beauty" who shouldn't have been at all!!!!
    invisibleboy - Unseen, But DEFINITELY NOT Unheard! Sorry bout it.

Heroic Warrior
    Nice work!

I really look forward to seeing art for other concept characters like Spydra, Amber and Volcana and possibly even including other characters like He-Ra and Josh?

And did I miss a new character when listening to the presentation - who is Krystala (other than the child from an episode of the TV series)?

She is GORGEOUS! I also would love a figure like that! Nice use of bubble power she-ra accessory!

Krystala (likely spelled Crystala) in POP was to be Frosta's sister. There was an ice theme that was in development and Crystala was described as, "sister of Frosta - body composed of translucent “ice" and becomes transparent to spy on the enemy." So the likelihood was that from the neck down she was to be cast in clear or translucent plastic like the Crystal horses. I spelled it with a K as a nod to the Duel at Devlan episode, since her dad was named Darius (similar spelling to the New Adventures character).

Well, I'd be happy to see Bubelle (or Joya, or whatever they want to call her) in MOTUC!

More PoP is always welcome!
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, and for the love of Grayskull, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Your bio is MAGNIFICENT!!!!!
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!"

- Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

Love everything about it, except I'd like to see her keep the name Joya. That panel was definitely the most exciting one I've ever been to at Power-Con. I couldn't believe some of these things existed! Can't wait to see more of your concepts
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2017!!!

OTHER PRIORITIES: Inspector Darkney Master Sebrian & Gleep Spyster Admiral Scurvey & Squall Starburst She-Ra Scratchin' Sound Catra Grot Caz & Drissi Crystal Moonbeam Crystal Sun Dancer Meliac NA Prince Adam Chef Allen Songster Scrollos Karg Kowla Red Eye

I would love to add her to my Great Rebellion shelf!
    It would be amazing to see some of these concepts make it to figure form, especially since some many MotU concept charterers materialised.

I'm just not sure about the full circle around her head/face.. I think it would look better as a crown or headband? Just a thought, I'd buy her either way.
    Great bio too!

Thanks for the feedback!

I changed her named from Joya to Bubbelle because of traditional naming conventions in MOTU and POP. Joya is really a lovely name. I just felt that it needed something that tied her to her gimmick more, like how Effervesca became the Bubble Carriage, or Electra became Starla, or Splendora became Jewelstar (I still love Expandra over Tallstar).

Next up is Spydra. Initially, there was very little incentive on my part to do this one. Spydra being "Girl Webstor" is like SweetBee being "Girl Buzz-Off." Also Flutterina feels like she fills the girl bug slot LOL. Plus, anything Mattel does is canon to me, and supposedly she was shown at ToyFair with the Whispering Woods so of all the vintage concepts, she should have a prototype or polaroids that will hopefully be uncovered and be official. Until then, Axel's love of this concept led me to scratch this itch, and I was shocked at how much fun she was to design.

The objective was: If Super 7 does this vintage style, is there a POP vintage doll we can completely repaint and only do sewing and tooling towards accessories and the fashion itself. Angella fit the bill. From there, I basically just stuck to the notes Darren and Garret said at the panel (like Webstor, she’d drop from a web, and her fashion would have extra legs so it would look like they were moving. Main colors were red and black, but she's a good guy). I also spoke to them and they mentioned a spider ring being the point of attachment for the webline. Thinking from a vintage lens, red fabric is used in 2 Fantastic Fashions: Ready in Red's cobweb-ish skirt, and Reflections in Red top but opened up in the center only. Sew clear vinyl on the inside (with a hole to see the jewel) and tampo stamp a silver web design. The backpack's spider-legs can be approximated with pipe cleaner or something similarly furry and bendable, and she's good to go.

Hope you like it. Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 1, 2017 at 03:58pm.

Wow! Totally blown away by your concepts here. I love the designs, they are fantastic and clearly reflect your passion for the property. I would love to see these characters rendered as actual figures. The details presented in the concepts are fantastic.

I quite like what you did with Bubbelle - and agree with you that its a name more closely tied to her gimmick and thus more likely to have seen the light of day as a toy than "Joya". But using the MOTUC naming convention - you can have both. Her "real name" is Joya, and her nom-de-guerre could be Bubbelle. The look is fantastic and I really like the circular head-dress to resemble a bubble. In designing her did you have any concerns that her color scheme would hew too closely to Frosta and Netossa, or did that actually contribute to the thematic choice?

As for Spydra - there is no bio attached. She seems to have a red "princess" shield and no Horde symbol, so are we to assume she is part of the rebellion? If so I love it - as red and black colors seemed to be reserved for the Horde in PoP and the rebellion forces could definitely stand to have that color pallette represented in their ranks. The white skirt and white hair really work well with the design.

I am definitely a huge fan of these and can't wait to see more. And now to start assembling recipes to make these figures for my MOTUC collection

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Very cool Augie!! Thanks for sharing these cool designs and ideas!! With Classics and the vintage line continuing, maybe we'll see some of these concepts show up. I'd definitely like to get Joya/Bubbelle and Spydra as figures.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    Krystala (likely spelled Crystala) in POP was to be Frosta's sister.
    Ah. That does ring a bell - thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Next up is Spydra.
    Interesting. That's a nice design. I have to admit, when I originally heard the description, I imagined Spydra's extra legs forming part of her skirt and "hanging down" so that she would have six lower legs and her arms would be the remaining two "legs". Or possibly that she would have six "legs" on her skirt, therefore a "spider" lower half with eight legs with a humanoid upper half. I guess something closer to Ursula from The Little Mermaid than another "backpack" attachment.

But, given that her backpack was supposed to work like Webstor's grappling hook, it makes sense that the legs would be attached to that instead of the skirt.

Bubbelle is beautiful!!! Love the face and tiara/crown especially...

I am a picky customer, but you just won me over with this one!

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback!

I changed her named from Joya to Bubbelle because of traditional naming conventions in MOTU and POP. Joya is really a lovely name. I just felt that it needed something that tied her to her gimmick more, like how Effervesca became the Bubble Carriage, or Electra became Starla, or Splendora became Jewelstar (I still love Expandra over Tallstar).

Next up is Spydra. Initially, there was very little incentive on my part to do this one. Spydra being "Girl Webstor" is like SweetBee being "Girl Buzz-Off." Also Flutterina feels like she fills the girl bug slot LOL. Plus, anything Mattel does is canon to me, and supposedly she was shown at ToyFair with the Whispering Woods so of all the vintage concepts, she should have a prototype or polaroids that will hopefully be uncovered and be official. Until then, Axel's love of this concept led me to scratch this itch, and I was shocked at how much fun she was to design.

The objective was: If Super 7 does this vintage style, is there a POP vintage doll we can completely repaint and only do sewing and tooling towards accessories and the fashion itself. Angella fit the bill. From there, I basically just stuck to the notes Darren and Garret said at the panel (like Webstor, she’d drop from a web, and her fashion would have extra legs so it would look like they were moving. Main colors were red and black, but she's a good guy). I also spoke to them and they mentioned a spider ring being the point of attachment for the webline. Thinking from a vintage lens, red fabric is used in 2 Fantastic Fashions: Ready in Red's cobweb-ish skirt, and Reflections in Red top but opened up in the center only. Sew clear vinyl on the inside (with a hole to see the jewel) and tampo stamp a silver web design. The backpack's spider-legs can be approximated with pipe cleaner or something similarly furry and bendable, and she's good to go.

Hope you like it. Enjoy.

I imagine Spydra using the body of Sweet Bee. Imagine the black parts remaining the same, the yellow parts becoming red, and the pink parts becoming silver. The pink whiskers on the bodice would be black and the stone would be black, creating a spider symbol on her chest. She would have a different hairstyle, and her hair would be red to match. The backpack and ring in your illustration are just as I would imagine them, except the ring would have a red foil sticker in the shape of a black widow marking, and the ring could double as a crown.

Awesome job on both love seeing these concepts come to life, only thing i would like to see is joya come witha bubble blower staff, like the bubble blower you get when u buy bubbles. A staff for a sorceress never hurts

I haven't read through all the bio info and stuff yet, but I'm really enjoying the art / concepts you've got started here - I'm a big fan of vintage PoP.

Just curious, did Spydra cause you any hesitation given that there's already a MotU character by that name (a villain from the Filmation episode "The Return of Orko's Uncle")?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Facet, her headgear is actually based on a bubble wand you get when you buy bubbles LOL. I had it as a staff too, but it felt redundant. Plus Bubble Power She-Ra aped a gimmick that was meant for her so I just had her take it back

Danielle, obrigado

Next is is AURA - Moody Beauty.

Aura Spectra pitch-1.jpg

This design has more backstory than the others as it predates Power-Con. I actually conceptualized her in 2010 as Spectra. I was starting to get into vintage POP (I always preferred Filmation). When you see the villains side without the Horde, it's just Catra and Entrapta. So sad. So upon looking at Entrapta with a POP shield, when you take away the villain label, they all kind of look like good guys. No one is devious or evil. Merely jealous or tricky, right? He-Man is action and She-Ra was adventure. Anyways I thought of a rainbow themed villain. She'd be colorful enough that moms would still find eye-catching and I can still make a bad guy.

As She-Ra is typically a feminized version of He-Man concepts, she is the POP answer to Faker. Instead of being the copy though, she is the prototype! She was made by Light Hope and the power of the Crystal Castle. She has the ability to control and alter people's emotions, which she used to cheer up her friends on Etheria before the Horde occupation. Catra of course latched onto her and manipulated her to use her powers for more selfish reasons. When the Horde invaded, she helped fight off the first assault, draining Light Hope's energy. as her power was tethered to his. In the subsequent strike, she once again used all of her power at once, severely weakening Light Hope. Realizing she went too far and was too immature to handle her powers, he sealed her off across the Crystal Light Barrier and in his last bit of energy destroyed the Crystal Castle previously on land (toy version) and moved it to the top of Skydancer Mountain (Filmation version). Her seal was divided into 10 shields and spread across Etheria. Eventually Catra learns of this, and it's a race to fight all 10 shields to get the jewels to unlock Spectra. Let's just say meeting her "replacement" won't go well.

Her toy has a simple non-violent mechanism. She has a color-changing stone in her chest, exactly like a mood ring. Touch it and it changes colors depending on your mood.
    As with Faker using parts from He-Man and Skeletor, I had Aura use She-Ra and Catra parts. I wondered about her outfit until I decided to walk towards Fantastic Fashions and not away from it. Colorful Secret worked out. The when Power Con revealed the abandoned name "Aura," I remember an aura's energy is often described over a spectrum of color. Anyways I floated Aura into Spectra and it all worked.

Aura/Adora, Spectra/She-Ra... see what happened there?
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 3, 2017 at 05:07pm.

Really like the Spydra concept, she is really a cool design!!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.31.17!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

I love that you're incorporating some ideas from the "Fantastic Fashions" into these; I feel like we haven't seen a lot of those being adapted / used among fans, so it's a great touch.

Thanks so much J-Bird I appreciate that. JafariStew, thank you as well. I hope to update her as well.

Crystala_Krystala_style_guide.jpg

Here's my next POP concept, Krystala. I never understood how a clear action feature hasn't been in the She-Ra line, as it's one of the easiest to do. I had a Hordsemen concept for this. It's great to know Mattel was on the right track with this one. This one clearly spent some time in the Crystal Light Barrier and transformed the same way the Crystal Horses did. Kind of a neat way to keep it in mini-comics continuity.

Thanks so much J-Bird I appreciate that. JafariStew, thank you as well. I hope to update her as well.

Crystala_Krystala_style_guide.jpg

Here's my next POP concept, Krystala. I never understood how a clear action feature hasn't been in the She-Ra line, as it's one of the easiest to do. I had a Hordsemen concept for this. It's great to know Mattel was on the right track with this one. This one clearly spent some time in the Crystal Light Barrier and transformed the same way the Crystal Horses did. Kind of a neat way to keep it in mini-comics continuity.
    WOW Augie, all I can say is WOW! Such fantastic work and bios which makes me feel like these characters have always been part of POP. It would be awesome of these could be made in both the vintage and classics style. Superb work bud, can't wait to see more!!
    Love the new Filmation figures by S7. Fingers crossed they announce ThunderCats at SDCC.

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    Im loving each of these concepts. They easily fit the whole line. I would like to see these gals end up in plastic whether the vintage style or clasics or both.
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Fangor Granita Meteorbs Zark Michi Anghast Sorceress of Serpos Sorceress of Horokoth War Wraith IMMORTALIZED

Are there any more of these in the works? I have really enjoyed them so far.

I really appreciate that J-Bird. Yes there are more coming. I'm working on Amber and Volcana currently with THREE more on the way. I started classes again so I had to take a break and focus on that, which gave me some good distance to try some new design elements. So I'm happy they aren't being rushed. Then I have several more that are my own ideas for POP that Mattel wasn't already planning LOL.
    Last edited by Agostinho; March 18, 2017 at 08:21pm.