Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Princess of Power Concepts Across the Crystal Light Barrier (by me and Axel)

Quote Originally Posted by Agostinho View Post
    I really appreciate that J-Bird. Yes there are more coming. I'm working on Amber and Volcana currently with THREE more on the way. I started classes again so I had to take a break and focus on that, which gave me some good distance to try some new design elements. So I'm happy they aren't being rushed. Then I have several more that are my own ideas for POP that Mattel wasn't already planning LOL.
    I really can't wait Augie. It's true, sometimes distance creates even more fabulous things. Waiting anxiously to see what's up next.
    Love the new Filmation figures by S7. Fingers crossed they announce ThunderCats at SDCC.

I really, really like these designs and can't wait to see more. I'm interested to see your take not only on the character Mattel might have named but failed to flesh out, but also to see your own take on how the property could have or would have expanded.

Can't wait to see more.

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar
    I totally love your ideas for these designs Augie, they are so true to the vintage style we know & love. I look forward to seeing your future additions to this stunning collection.

Personal Service Provider Agostinho's Avatar
    Appreciate it guys. Volcana is being tweaked and Lavor is being plotted currently. Hopefully these go faster than my previous designs.

Heroic Warrior mikerobertschamp's Avatar
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    Personally I myself would love these ideas and designs fleshed out and made into plastic reality. I love them all and hope maybe one day they do get recognition and put into one or more of the collections. Can not wait to see more
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

Here's Volcana, guys and girls!

Volcana_Pitch.jpg

It took me some back and forth to get this done. Naturally Mattel had a fire character to oppose Frosta in mind. Too bad they were scared of fire being imitated.
    I also learned a few things. Among them how to do an action feature with cut-out paper, and that there was a cancelled She-Ra title called "Amber Waves of Flame."

Anyway, as I started using Fantastic Fashions as a template to see how Mattel was using cloth for weaponry, I had to have a huge dramatic collar. Amber was described as an "Evil lady - glows with heat." Volcana was a "Fire Goddess with flame red hair. She has X-Ray vision, and her arms are sculpted with flames. Her cape flew up with flame detail that rose up to control the volcano (Volcanica - later became Crystal Falls). She doesn’t start fires (a note from Mattel.)

Originally I had two separate designs for Amber (later described by Mattel as a twin sister on the side of good) and Volcana. As per the description of the feature, it sounds like she was abandoned and replaced with Starburst She-Ra, who has similar features to Mattel's Sun Spell and Moon Mystic dolls (and later, the Sorceress). So for Volcana, I made a huge flame collar and figured that could rise in place of a cape, keeping the spirit of the original character while doing something conceptually new yet familiar. I hope you guys dig her.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I think if this was an actual figure, Mattel would keep the tiara, but remove the crown of flames. Otherwise, I think this is spot on to what she would probably look like.

As with the rest of this thread, well done. The only drawback is that it just makes me wish (even more than I already did) for vintage-toy-based Princess of Power MotUC figures. *sigh* Maybe someday Super 7 will hook us up.

Her cape flew up with flame detail that rose up to control the volcano (Volcanica - later became Crystal Falls). She doesn’t start fires (a note from Mattel.)
    Oh, Mattel - as if raising a volcano (and, presumably, causing it to erupt) isn't going to start a fire or two.

I really love Volcana she is superb in many ways. I like J-bird would love it if super 7 did these and added them to MOTUC. Matter of fact I would also love it if Gbagok added these to the profiles as well as I count his thread as holly grail bible of all bibles when it comes to MOTU. Sorry Gbagok for putting you out there like that but these are great and so is your stuff. Just like twix cookie carmel and chocolate.
    Last edited by mikerobertschamp; April 9, 2017 at 03:11am.
    My wants all NA POG SOH filmation Garth Lady Slithor Meteorbs Zark Michi, Kothos, King Taurius, King Helios, Kittrina, Illumina, be plastic IMMORTALIZED

I think these are exceptional!!!! Absolutely solid PoP designs and I'd pay to see them all in Classics! When I heard about the concepts at Power-Con I really thought Spydra should have been a villain, but this design works wonderfully and I could easily see her going through a Huntara arc. I based my own drawing of Joya on Axel's design but this is way better. I also love Aura and Crystala, bu I probably love Volcana the most, though I'd like to see that separate heroic Amber design too. Also can't wait to see Lavor!

I would really love it if Super7 looked at these as the guide for new PoP characters.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    I really like these concepts. I would buy Spidra (alternate spelling so to differentiate from the MOTU villainess) for sure.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Filmation Hordak, MYP Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I think these are exceptional!!!! Absolutely solid PoP designs and I'd pay to see them all in Classics! When I heard about the concepts at Power-Con I really thought Spydra should have been a villain, but this design works wonderfully and I could easily see her going through a Huntara arc. I based my own drawing of Joya on Axel's design but this is way better. I also love Aura and Crystala, but I probably love Volcana the most, though I'd like to see that separate heroic Amber design too. Also can't wait to see Lavor!

I would really love it if Super7 looked at these as the guide for new PoP characters.
    Thanks Gbagok. I didn't realize Axel designed Joya. Are you referring to the 2014 one? That's my design as well. I updated it later. And thanks for the Super 7 plug. I'd like that as well.

EDIT: gbagok, although I decided to merge the characters, since you brought it up, here is my Amber concept. Like Bubbelle later "becoming" Bubble Power She-Ra, I gave Amber the straight-up rising cape gimmick that I assume was originally hers before Starburst She-Ra lifted it.

Amber_color1.jpg
    Last edited by Agostinho; June 23, 2017 at 10:42am.

Heroic Warrior
    Some really great designs. Good bios, too. And I like having a good spider person for a change. All the spiders in MotU and PoP so far were evil, or am I forgetting one?
    The whole thing is also a complete surprise to me, because I never heard about the concept. Are the contents of the panel from Power Con collected somewhere?

So after finding and looking through this thread I gather that at least some of these characters were concepts that Mattel once had but never made. This makes me wonder if Super7 has any rights to these concept characters and if there is any chance that they may one day see action figure form??
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Heroic Warrior
    I have now found a video of the comic con panel. Will the Sanders' have another one this year?
    And is all that info written down somewhere? I'm mostly asking because I'm unsure about the spelling for some of the names. For example, you write "Amber" but given that she is fire themed, I wonder if it isn't actually "Ember".
    The ice theme and the fire theme actually make a nice storyline together. Amber (Ember?) starts as the villain in the ice arc but teams up with the heroes against her mor evil sister Volcana in the fire arc.
    I somehow doubt that that was the plan, though.

This really could've been a fun character for not just the toy line but the cartoon as well. I wonder how many other characters were scrapped in preproduction? These sketches and ideas are always quite interesting to me. Thanks for sharing!

Yes it's Amber. I got it officially from 2 sources. There was even a dropped She-Ra episode called "Amber Waves of Flame."

Hey folks;

Been a minute since I did one of these. This was fun yet very time consuming. Axel and I wanted to explore the Crystal Light Barrier area of Etheria and we wanted to do a 6-figure assortment around that. You've seen the other 5 (Bubbelle, Spydra, Krystala, Aura, Volcana). Meet the 6th figure...

LAVOR - Handsome Protector of Volcana!

LAVOR_final.jpg

This was a name and character that gathered some laughs at the She-Ra panel from Power Con 2016. The good-looking lava man, able to lift large lava rocks. By turning a mechanism on his chest a lava shield appears to deflect Bow’s arrows. So that's what I decided to interpret, but that's not where I began.

My Lavor begins years prior, but he wasn't Lavor. Originally I wanted to do a POP answer to Evil-Lyn, as Bow was analogous to Teela. I made this guy originally called Horrorscope. Some you may remember him from a old birthday card Axel did for me a couple years ago. He would be the bad boy pastiche that was missing from Etheria. He had a completely different action feature, too. Anyway, as I kept trying to make an all-new third guy to be Lavor, I kept looking at Horrorscope who filled that role for me. So in the end I decided to adapt Horrorscope into Lavor, as his look already had an open chest I could put the action feature in seamlessly.

As POP more or less reused MOTU gimmicks, I realized Lavor could easily adapt the armor spinning feature of Battle Armor He-Man & Skeletor, which fits the Mattel description of what he was suppose to do. From there, I was curious if I can still use Fantastic Fashion on a male character. Lo and behold, Flight of Fancy and Hidden Gold help create this look of a shining knight, but for the wicked Volcana. (Thanks to Gary Anderson for the reference).

I figured it would be fun to do some new weapons for him and as Bow fought with arrows, I figured Lavor could have one giant "arrow," so I gave him a winged javelin that travels farther than any normal person could throw.

I had considered changing his name and Lavelin came to mind (pronounced like "javelin"), but, to be honest, snickering aside, Lavor is kind of a perfect storm of He-Man names: the "-or" at the end, the naming conventions like Fisto, Ram-Man, Peekablue, SweetBee, etc. It's punny and it fits. I got used to it after a short while.

Inspiratons are numermous. Part Zartan (GIJoe), part Riot (Jem), part Fabio (or any other obvious stereotype of the romance cover models of the 80s), even a bit of that snobby prince from the old Legend of Zelda cartoons (Prince Facade?). I really wanted an evil blond, and POP has numerous redheaded and brunette guys. Mattel loved blonde ladies haha. He almost had black hair, but blond won out.

Now I wonder what Horrorscope will look like (I save his action feature) haha...
    Hope you guys dig this. Took me a few.

Hey folks;

Been a minute since I did one of these. This was fun yet very time consuming. Axel and I wanted to explore the Crystal Light Barrier area of Etheria and we wanted to do a 6-figure assortment around that. You've seen the other 5 (Bubbelle, Spydra, Krystala, Aura, Volcana). Meet the 6th figure...

LAVOR - Handsome Protector of Volcana!

LAVOR_final.jpg

This was a name and character that gathered some laughs at the She-Ra panel from Power Con 2016. The good-looking lava man, able to lift large lava rocks. By turning a mechanism on his chest a lava shield appears to deflect Bow’s arrows. So that's what I decided to interpret, but that's not where I began.

My Lavor begins years prior, but he wasn't Lavor. Originally I wanted to do a POP answer to Evil-Lyn, as Bow was analogous to Teela. I made this guy originally called Horrorscope. Some you may remember him from a old birthday card Axel did for me a couple years ago. He would be the bad boy pastiche that was missing from Etheria. He had a completely different action feature, too. Anyway, as I kept trying to make an all-new third guy to be Lavor, I kept looking at Horrorscope who filled that role for me. So in the end I decided to adapt Horrorscope into Lavor, as his look already had an open chest I could put the action feature in seamlessly.

As POP more or less reused MOTU gimmicks, I realized Lavor could easily adapt the armor spinning feature of Battle Armor He-Man & Skeletor, which fits the Mattel description of what he was suppose to do. From there, I was curious if I can still use Fantastic Fashion on a male character. Lo and behold, Flight of Fancy and Hidden Gold help create this look of a shining knight, but for the wicked Volcana. (Thanks to Gary Anderson for the reference).

I figured it would be fun to do some new weapons for him and as Bow fought with arrows, I figured Lavor could have one giant "arrow," so I gave him a winged javelin that travels farther than any normal person could throw.

I had considered changing his name and Lavelin came to mind (pronounced like "javelin"), but, to be honest, snickering aside, Lavor is kind of a perfect storm of He-Man names: the "-or" at the end, the naming conventions like Fisto, Ram-Man, Peekablue, SweetBee, etc. It's punny and it fits. I got used to it after a short while.

Inspiratons are numermous. Part Zartan (GIJoe), part Riot (Jem), part Fabio (or any other obvious stereotype of the romance cover models of the 80s), even a bit of that snobby prince from the old Legend of Zelda cartoons (Prince Facade?). I really wanted an evil blond, and POP has numerous redheaded and brunette guys. Mattel loved blonde ladies haha. He almost had black hair, but blond won out.

Now I wonder what Horrorscope will look like (I save his action feature) haha...
    Hope you guys dig this. Took me a few.
    Wow, this looks great. Lavor is a cool character. Bring on Horroscope!!!!
    On a side note - I do hope S7 eventually brings out Joya as per the recent polls and that they get you guys to give them inspiration.
    Love the new Filmation figures by S7. Fingers crossed they announce ThunderCats at SDCC.

Thanks. I really need to do bios of these... That may be next, seeing as how designing the characters takes me forever. HAHA

The idea was to do these for a miniseries taking place in the Crystal Light Barrier dimension. 6 figures for that particular arc. I have more designs coming based on the Star Sisters arc as well as toy-related takes on Filmation favorites. I have 2 star sisters character finished years ago, with 3 more in development. I just haven't colored any of them. I just don't know if I should rename the thread hahaha. Also, beasts are not my strength, but would love to try my hand at Breeeze and the Mythicon Dragon.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Really digging these, Augie!! It'd be so cool to get these in Classics form.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Penny Dreadful View Post
    Really digging these, Augie!! It'd be so cool to get these in Classics form.

Thanks, my Lady Dreadful. After some feedback, I got much more positive notes on the fully armored "knight" version so did a quick update.

Lavor_Pitch.jpg
    Lavor_ConceptA1-1.jpg

Like this as well, the armored the best.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    When I look at him, all I can see is Riot, the lead singer of The Stingers from Jem and the Holograms, and Nuclear Man from Superman IV: The Quest for Peace.

YES!!!! That is high praise, indeed! I feel like I've done my job
    Last edited by Agostinho; October 29, 2017 at 01:06am.