Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: MOTUC Figure Encyclopedia

Prince Adam (4/13/2017)
    Prince Adam.jpg
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

So, I have to admit I had a ton of fun writing this next installment. I wanted to make Mo-Larr a legitimate character within MOTUC, but had a hard time reconciling him as a good guy if he was willing to do dental work on the Evil Warriors. The whole thing was just a dumb idea. But when he appeared on the battlefield with Skeletor's warriors in one of the MOTUC mini-comics, I had an idea of how to turn him into a legitimate villain. Good times.

Mo-Larr (4/13/2017)
    Mo-Larr.jpg
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS ENCYCLOPEDIA
    Featuring bios, powers, weaknesses, stats, pictures and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Whiplash (4/17/2017)
    Whiplash.jpg

Chief Carnivus (4/18/2017)
    Chief Carnivus.jpg

*crickets chirping*

Gygor (4/19/2017)
    Gygor.jpg

Heroic Warrior KingRandorFacepalm's Avatar
    Loving these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Anybody want to buy a used bolo?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    *crickets chirping*

Gygor (4/19/2017)
    Gygor.jpg

Don't worry, we're still reading and enjoying them. Sometimes they're pretty self-explanatory, though, so there's not a lot to question / comment on.

If there's anything in particular you want feedback on, let us know.

Also, "extinct" has a "c" in it.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Keep 'em coming!
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Roboto (4/26/2017)
    Roboto.jpg

Grizzlor (4/26/2017)
    Grizzlor.jpg

I enjoy how the galleries are overlapping into the trivia section; it's a more interesting layout and, for me, the more pics the better.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I enjoy how the galleries are overlapping into the trivia section; it's a more interesting layout and, for me, the more pics the better.
    I agree, and it helps too with those figures for which there isn't a lot of interesting trivia.

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Great work! I love these encyclopedia entries! Looking forward to reading more!
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Great work! I love these encyclopedia entries! Looking forward to reading more!
    Thank you! And thank you to everyone for being patient for new updates. I'm going to try to get back on track this week.

King Grayskull 2.0
    King Grayskull.jpg

Buzz-Off
    Buzz-Off.jpg

I've exceeded my limit for uploading files on the .org, so I'm going with Photobucket attachments now.

Vikor (5/9/2017)

Eternian Palace Guards (5/9/2017)

Bow 5/11/2017

Shadow Beast 5/11/2017

Preternia Disguise He-Man 5/11/2017

King Hiss

Battle Armor Skeletor

Sy-Klone

Panthor

Catra

The Faceless One

Wow you're on a roll now!
    Follow me on Instagram @Clo4k4ndD4gger for MOTUC pics and more.

My Top Most Wanted MOTUC: The Twiggets, Granita, Dylamug, Quakke, Sagitar, Spinwit, Spirit, Staghorn, Cringer (articulated adult form), Catra's Cat Form, Kayo, Filmation Tung Lashor, Master Sebrian, Drissi, Caz, Kittrina, Hawke/Delora, Attak Trak, Roton, Land Shark, Spidor.

It's a mastodontic, time-consuming and tiring work but it's so freakin' cool! I can't wait to see the end of it!
    I'd buy the complete pdf in a minute.
    Grizzlor (4/26/2017)
    Grizzlor.jpg
    Are you sure that it's the exact mold of Hordak's crossbow?
    I know 3 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle, Mikethedrummer and Stacy Mealer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyCruel View Post
    Are you sure that it's the exact mold of Hordak's crossbow?
    Thanks for pointing that out! I'll make sure to correct it.

Today's installments:

She-Rella

Clawful

Queen Marlena

Thanks for pointing that out! I'll make sure to correct it.

Today's installments:

She-Rella
    http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p...pskcufe3sa.jpg

So, not that I don't understand the desire to use BG Teela as a unique character, because I do - but, I do think it's maybe a questionable choice to include a completely custom Bio in a work labeled as an "encyclopedia". I know Gbakok used the DC Comics "savage" Teela image for his Sharella bio too (with a different preternia origin and story).

Obviously this is your work to do with as you please. But the work is SO good that I can see it being used as a resource for information on the figure line so I guess I'm wondering about the choice to insert your creativity into the work in this way. I can just see a future collector asking if anyone has the She-Rella figure for sale after using your work as reference.

Are there other figure you may do this with as well? For example will you do 3 entries for Vykron - treating each armored look as a separate character as many collectors (including me) do? Or will you stick with the bio Mattel produced explaining those extra armors?

Again, please don't take this as criticism, but I'm legitimately wondering about your plans for handling this kind of stuff.

Also, as an editing issue - under "Relationships" for She-Rella you list : She-Rella (wife) which I think suggests she's married to someone with the same name (and of the same gender) as herself. I think you may have meant to list Vikor as her husband there, unless I'm misinterpreting how that part works
    Last edited by PantherCult; May 15, 2017 at 06:37pm.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCult View Post
    So, not that I don't understand the desire to use BG Teela as a unique character, because I do - but, I do think it's maybe a questionable choice to include a completely custom Bio in a work labeled as an "encyclopedia".
    So, a little background on this project: originally, this was just something I was going to do simply for myself. The left page of each spread is wish-fulfillment on my part; this was how I wished Mattel had handled the card backs for each character — bio, powers, weaknesses, etc. Instead, all we got were the bios, and I found those to be seriously lacking in almost every instance. So I set out writing my own canon and "fixing" parts of the bios and story line that I didn't like, and adding in some ideas of my own that don't have any precedent in any canon. For instance, the many forms of vision I have given to Tri-Klops borrows heavily from Superman's various forms of vision, most of which Tri-Klops has never actually demonstrated. So, while She-Rella/Battleground Teela is the most obvious insertion of my own ideas into this project, she's not the first instance by far.

Obviously this is your work to do with as you please. But the work is SO good that I can see it being used as a resource for information on the figure line so I guess I'm wondering about the choice to insert your creativity into the work in this way.
    I guess I never had such a lofty notion to consider this ever being used as a serious resource. But really you could almost split each spread down the middle: the left side is fan fiction, and the right side is where most of the true MOTUC collection information is stored. The forthcoming encyclopedia from Dark Horse is really going to render the left page of each spread completely moot in the eyes of most collectors.

I guess I'm not sure how to best proceed. What I could do (and what would make my job infinitely easier) is to pare this down to a true MOTUC Encyclopedia — the only character bio copy would come straight from the card backs, and I would drop all the other character-specific information (powers, weapons, weaknesses, etc.), as that information is more fitting for the general MOTU encyclopedia. I could (and would) continue to write my own canon, but I'd keep that just for myself and not include it in this guide. What say you, good people?

Are there other figure you may do this with as well? For example will you do 3 entries for Vykron - treating each armored look as a separate character as many collectors (including me) do? Or will you stick with the bio Mattel produced explaining those extra armors?
    I think Battleground Teela was the only one I was going to turn into a completely new character, although I have been struggling in advance to figure out how to produce a spread for the likes of Point Dread Teela or any of the FILMation figures — figures that deserve an entry but don't really warrant a whole new bio page. If I was to focus on this solely being a MOTUC toy guide, I wouldn't have to worry about justifying such figures from a story perspective. It would probably also mean going back and creating entries for such things as the weapons paks and figure stands, if this is going to be a consecutive, all-inclusive guide.

Not sure what to do. Just typing out loud at the moment...

Again, please don't take this as criticism, but I'm legitimately wondering about your plans for handling this kind of stuff.
    Nope, I love the feedback because it means other fans care about what I'm doing, even if it means I'm doing it wrong at the moment. Until I make a final decision on how to proceed (whether to continue as I have been or to revisit the entire approach), tomorrow I'll create a second "She-Rella" spread with all Battleground Teela information, for those who'd rather I didn't tinker with the character in that way.

Also, as an editing issue - under "Relationships" for She-Rella you list : She-Rella (wife)
    Whoops. Will fix.

So, PantherCult got me thinking yesterday about the scope of this project... whether it should continue as a mix of my own fan fiction and a toy guide, or whether it should just be a pure MOTUC Toy Encyclopedia, as the thread title has said all along. So today I worked on the next entry, Man-E-Faces, and approached it as a toy guide entry only, using the original bio (horrible writing intact) and fleshing out the appropriate images and such. Take a gander, and let me know what you think and whether this should be the direction this guide should go in. Thanks!

Last edited by Wakko; May 16, 2017 at 05:44pm. Reason: Updated the bio section

So, at the risk of sounding like a total hypocrite - I think I did prefer your extended bios incorporating information from multiple sources It was just the creation of essentially a new character that caught me off guard.

The Man-E-Faces entry works great too though and won't complain at all if that's the route you take going forward.

I love this project either way and am happy to use it in whatever format you see fit - and hey, if you find yourself inclined to do separate bios for the other Vykron armors I can totally hook you up (Tank Top and Space Ace FTW)

So, at the risk of sounding like a total hypocrite - I think I did prefer your extended bios incorporating information from multiple sources
    You total hypocrite!

The Man-E-Faces entry works great too though and won't complain at all if that's the route you take going forward.
    Right now, I am thinking I'll continue in this direction. We're one week away from getting an official MOTU encyclopedia from Dark Horse, so much of the information I'd been compiling under the bio section is about to become completely moot. Meanwhile, I'm guessing there's no MOTUC toy guide on the horizon since the line is still alive, so making this project a pure toy guide feels more worthwhile.

One thing I might do, however, is finesse the bios without changing any of the actual information. These are just horribly written. Just as a for instance, Man-E's bio makes it sound like his strength is loyal to evil (in actuality, it's supposed to say that Man-E-Monster is loyal to evil, but it sure isn't written that way). So at the risk of not being a complete purist here, I think I will rewrite the bios (without, as I said, inserting my own ideas).

I love this project either way and am happy to use it in whatever format you see fit - and hey, if you find yourself inclined to do separate bios for the other Vykron armors I can totally hook you up (Tank Top and Space Ace FTW)
    I did consider whether to make Vykron three separate characters, and I would display him as such in my collection if I had three of him (but alas, I only have one, so he remains in Tank Top mode).
    Last edited by Wakko; May 16, 2017 at 04:30pm.