Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some of my vintage style custom figures

Quote Originally Posted by nightwing. View Post
    For this Two-Bad figure, I was asked to adjust his arms so as they came out of the sides of his torso instead of the top.
    HOw? How? How?

For this Two-Bad figure, I was asked to adjust his arms so as they came out of the sides of his torso instead of the top.
    Nice work! I always hated that the arms were up on his collar bones.

Heroic Warrior
    Your customs are amazing! Your Two-Bad is better than the original toy! And this expression(s) on his faces, so great.

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    HOw? How? How?
    I started by removing his arms.
    Then I cut the arm joints off using a hacksaw.
    Next I sanded down the 2 sides of his upper torso where i wanted his arms to go.
    once I had a flat surface I attached the joints with superglue.
    I sculpted in the missing parts of his orange armor using a product called 'Fixit Sculpt'
    I then repainted the figure using enamel paints & gave his faces a more Filmation look.
    then I re-attached his arms to the newly positioned joints. They no longer have the punch action though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Nice work! I always hated that the arms were up on his collar bones.
    Thank you, I am so pleased you like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Your customs are amazing! Your Two-Bad is better than the original toy! And this expression(s) on his faces, so great.
    Thank you so much for your kind comments, they really mean a lot.

Best Two-bad ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DiElEl View Post
    Best Two-bad ever!!!
    WoW, thank you so much for the massive compliment. that really means a lot

All the customs are pretty awesome. I'm impressed by how well they fit with the toyline and cartoons.

Very Nice! I love vintage customs. I hope to see more.
    "So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 7:12

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper View Post
    All the customs are pretty awesome. I'm impressed by how well they fit with the toyline and cartoons.
    Thank you, I am really pleased you like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Man-E-Beers View Post
    Very Nice! I love vintage customs. I hope to see more.
    Thank you so much. Yes I have quite a lot still to add to this thread so please feel free to check it out any time

photo shadow weaver horde.jpg

To Make this vintage style Shadow Weaver I decided to use a vintage Glimmer figure as a base.

I started off by removing Glimmer’s hair & taped her legs tight together so as the shape of her skirt would look better when i sculpted it over her legs.

Her head, sleeves, skirt & horde logo were sculpted using a product called 'fixit sculpt'.

I painted her using humbrol enamel paints. I decided to paint her this shade of pink because I wanted her to fit in with the horde & also the vintage POP figures. In the cartoon Shadow Weaver was a really deep pink (almost red) so I decided to just lighten her up & paint her the same shade of pink as the vintage Catra figure.

I then added a layer of glow in the dark paint to her eyes.

The gem stone on her chest was painted with red glass paints

I finished her off by making her cape from an old damaged 'Veils of Mystery' skirt which was from the vintage She-Ra fantastic fashions line.

photo leech.jpg

To make this Leech custom I used the upper body, arms & legs from the vintage Leech figure. The lower body was taken from a vintage Mantenna figure as he had a thinner waist. I had to saw both figures in half & join the upper Leech Body to the lower Mantenna figure. I then used a product called ‘Fixit Sculpt’ to sculpt were the 2 figures had been joined to give the figure a nice clean looking finish. Mantenna’s legs were then swapped with Leech’s legs.

His shoulder armour & details were also sculpted.

I had to sand down his wrist details as the original figure had three straps on each wrist but the cartoon character had only one.

I made a mold of the original figures red Horde logo on his chest to which I made a new logo from using Fixit sculpt then attached it to the new figure.

His head came from an online company called Shapeways which you can see here
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/MX...ionId=42009507

The head, arms & legs were painted using acrylic paints & the rest of the figure was painted using Humbrol enamel paints. I normally prefer using enamel paints as I feel they leave a much smoother finish but I had to use acrylics on his arms & legs as they were a more rubbery plastic which enamel paints don’t seem to dry very well on. They tend to dry quite tacky on these surfaces.

The guy who ordered this figure also requested that I left the horde logo on Leech’s legs. They were not on the cartoon character but it was a feature he liked from the vintage figure.

photo scorpia teela base.jpg

This is a Scorpia figure a guy asked me to make for his vintage He-Man figure collection.

He asked me to use the vintage Teela figure as a base but wanted me to include the tail, claws & other parts of the costume from the MOTUC Scorpia figure.
    He also asked me to use the head from the ‘Lulu Berlu’ Scorpia figure seen here…
    http://www.lulu-berlu.com/upload/image/83172_grande.jpg

I started by sanding off all the details from the Teela figures body, arms & legs.

Next I sculpted the under shoulder sections, upper claw sections, wings of the horde logo, front skirt section & boots using a product called ‘fixit sculpt’.

I then took the outer shoulder/back sections, back skirt section, claws, & the face section of the Horde logo & cut & sanded them down to size so as they would fit onto the Teela base figure.

I was asked to make the tail more articulated so to do this I had to cut the tail into sections, drill a tiny hole through each section & thread them onto a piece of wire. I also threaded a bead between each tail section as this would prevent you seeing the wire when the tail bends.

I then attached all the various sections, tail & head to the Teela base figure & painted her using Humbrol enamel paints.

Two-Bad is utterly AMAZING!

Shadoweaver looks, in my opinion, exactly how Mattel would've made her for the POP line in the 1980s. Very smart colors, man. And I thought you bought a cast of the lower-body from other customizers: you sculpted that?! Well done.

LEECH! Wow. A Mantenna waist? Never would've thought.

Your vintage customs are inspiring me to put away the Super Powers customs and jump back into MOTU vintage-style. You rock.
    All of my VINTAGE MOTU customs are here:
    https://www.facebook.com/tyke.smyers...9003959&type=3

All of my VINTAGE MOTU "CONCEPT" customs are here:

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    Two-Bad is utterly AMAZING!

Shadoweaver looks, in my opinion, exactly how Mattel would've made her for the POP line in the 1980s. Very smart colors, man. And I thought you bought a cast of the lower-body from other customizers: you sculpted that?! Well done.

LEECH! Wow. A Mantenna waist? Never would've thought.

Your vintage customs are inspiring me to put away the Super Powers customs and jump back into MOTU vintage-style. You rock.
    Thank you so much Tyke, I am really pleased you like them.
    Yea I decided to sculpt the skirt for this particular Shadow Weaver figure. I have done a few other versions of her but they have been more in line with the style of the vintage POP style dolls.
    If you are interested you can see them here...

Red POP style Shadow Weaver

https://www.facebook.com/GaryAnderso...type=3&theater

Veils of Mystery Shadow Weaver

I would love to see some of your vintage motu figures, have you posted any online?

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    These are amazing. I especially like Catra and Shadow Weaver. They seem like they'd fit into the vintage line perfectly. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much Tyke, I am really pleased you like them.
    Yea I decided to sculpt the skirt for this particular Shadow Weaver figure. I have done a few other versions of her but they have been more in line with the style of the vintage POP style dolls.
    If you are interested you can see them here...

Red POP style Shadow Weaver

Veils of Mystery Shadow Weaver

I would love to see some of your vintage motu figures, have you posted any online?
    I sure have. We have a lot in common, sir! I have two links in my signature, but the "concepts" link I think you will like the most.....and also I messaged you on "that other link"
    Last edited by Tyke; April 2, 2017 at 09:57pm. Reason: forgot to eat my bread!

I sure have. We have a lot in common, sir! I have two links in my signature, but the "concepts" link I think you will like the most.....and also I messaged you on "that other link"
    Yes i have seen quite a lot of your figures on facebook. I really live your work. I especially liked 'Chest Burst He-Man & Skeletor', Extendar concept, Snake Man Horde Trooper & Schizo.

I think my most favourite of your customs would have to be Battle Armor Hordak & Blizzlor. But there are way to many i like to even mention lol. Your work really is amazing!

photo bubble power she-ra.jpg

For this Bubble Power She-Ra custom I started off by getting a normal She-Ra tiara & shield & painted them a darker shade of gold. I then got some pink holographic tape & attached it to the Tiara.

Fir the main section of her costume I asked a friend who owns an actual Bubble power She Ra figure if they would mind scanning the outfit & emailing me the image. I then traced around the image to make a pattern. I attached some gold self adhesive film to some fake leather fabric. I then placed the pattern on top & cut around it.
    Next I got some of the pink holographic tape & cut out the pink sections of her outfit using the same pattern. I then attached the cut outs to the skirt & bodice of her outfit. I then attached 2 small popper buttons to the back of the outfit.

Next I made her cape using the same technique. the only difference was I used gold fabric for the actual cape section.

I then got the bubble weapon from a MOTUC Bubble Power She-Ra figure & painted it bright pink.

To complete her & styled her hair in the same fashion as the official Bubble Power She-Ra doll.

photo Joya the Bubble Maiden.jpg

To make this vintage style Bubble Maiden figure (or as we now know her as Joya) I started off with a vintage Peekablue figure for her base.

I removed Peekablue’s head & cut off all her hair & re-rooted it using a combination of 2 colours which were ‘snowflake’ which is a shade of white & ‘fairy’s breath’ which is a pale pink. By blending these 2 colours together I got a really pale white hair colour with just a hint of pink.

Once I had re-rooted all her hair I then styled it by using the boiling water method.

I painted Peekablue’s eyes pale blue & added a shimmering violet acrylic medium on top of her existing eyeshadow which gave a really nice iridescent effect.

Next I started work on her body. I sanded down Peekablue’s Peacock pattern on her stomach so as it was smooth. I also did the same to the pattern on her arm bands & boots.
    I then painted her costume 2 shades of blue using Humbrol enamel paints.

Once the paint had dried I then super glued small iridescent (pearl) jewels onto her body arms & legs.

After I had finished work on her body it was time to make her skirt.
    I found an old dress online which belonged to a Crystal Barbie doll. I thought the fabric this dress was made from would be perfect to make her belt because it had a really nice iridescent look to it which reminded me of the colours you see in bubbles plus The vintage She-Ra figures were made by Mattel & so was Barbie so it is a fabric that could have been used if the figure had been officially made back in the 80’s.
    To make the belt I used Peekablue’s original belt as a template to make a pattern & then cut out the shape in the Barbie fabric. I then stuck strong silver duct tape to the back of the belt to strengthen the fabbic & give it support.

For the skirt part I pleated 5 layers of organza ribbon in 3 different colours which were white, pale blue & violet. I individually pleated each strand of ribbon then hand stitched the 5 layers together. So the top layer was blue, the second was white, the third was violet, the fourth was white & the bottom was blue.

I then hand stitched the skirt to the bottom of the belt. Once that was done I attached 2 popper buttons to the back of the belt. I got the buttons from Peekablue’s original skirt.

To finish the skirt off I superglued 4 of the small iridescent jewels to the belt section.

To complete the figure I wanted to give her an accessory so I decided it should be a bubble wand. I found one online which was a wedding favor which I thought was perfec. It was originally white but I just painted some of the shimmering violet medium on it which gave it a really nice iridescent finish.

photo the star child.jpg

To make this custom of the Star Child I used the body of a Barbie Shelly doll (similar to this one http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/hbkAAO...-zO/s-l300.jpg ) as a base.

& the head from a fisher Price Mum doll seen here https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/p...ing-Family.jpg

I started by removing Shelly’s head & sanding off her toes.

Next I removed the mum doll’s head & attached it to the Shelly body. I then cut all the hair of the head using a sharp craft knife.

After that I sculpted her new hair & boots using a product called ‘Fixit Sculpt’. Once the sculpt had set I then painted her hair & outfit using enamel paints. I also painted her eyes larger to help make her look more like the character.

WOW! I am REALLY enjoying your updates, man. STARCHILD is amazing....the bubble customs are equally impressive. EXCELLENT!!!!

WOW! I am REALLY enjoying your updates, man. STARCHILD is amazing....the bubble customs are equally impressive. EXCELLENT!!!!
    Thank you so much Tyke, I am really pleased you are enjoying my updates, it means a lot.
    I think out of those last 3, Bubble Power She-Ra was the most difficult. It was mainly trying to find materisls that would help make her look as close to the original as possible.

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    lots of amazing works!
    two bad is excellent, and joya is quite amusing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    lots of amazing works!
    two bad is excellent, and joya is quite amusing too.
    Thanks, i'm glad you like them.

photo Catra lady bird.jpg

This is a custom figure I made of Catra as she appeared in some of the ‘Princess of Power’ story books by Ladybird.

You can see some images of her here…
    http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image...onlight_02.jpg

http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image...s_broom_01.jpg

http://www.bustatoons.com/blog_image..._threesome.jpg

She was quite a simple custom to make as there was no sculpting involved.
    I used a vintage Scratchin’ Sound Catra’ figure ( http://www.he-man.org/assets/images/...esize_full.jpg ) as a base & repainted her bodice & legs using silver & purple enamel paints.

I then replaced the red jewel on her chest with a purple one to match her new outfit.

photo She-Ra paper doll style.jpg

This is quite an interesting custom I was asked to make. It is a figure of She-Ra based on how she appeared in an 80’s Princess of Power paper doll book.

You can see the book here… http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...Vintage-Figure

& this is how She-Ra appeared in the book… https://img0.etsystatic.com/050/0/65...83402_6g4t.jpg

To make her I used the body from a vintage Peekablue figure & the head from a vintage She-Ra figure.

I started by sanding the details off Peekablue’s chest, arm guards & the tops of her boots.

Next I sculpted the new details on these areas using a product called ‘fixit sculpt’.

Before the sculpt had set I placed a little jewel in the center of the star shape on her chest.

I then painted her outfit using ‘Humbrol’ enamel paints.

Next I made her a little gold choker from gold elastic.

To finish her off I placed She-Ra’s head onto the new body & styled her hair using the boiling water method. I decided just to have curls at the front of her hairstyle instead of cutting it as I felt this would fit in better with the look of the other vintage She-Ra figures.

photo pink teela.jpg

This is a custom figure I created based on how Teela appeared in the 1984 mini comic titled 'The Temple of Darkness' were she wore a completely pink outfit.

THUMBS UP. These gals are BEAUTIFUL!

Oh, yes, these are great works. And wonderfully fotografed.

THUMBS UP. These gals are BEAUTIFUL!
    Thank you Tyke, I am really pleased you think so

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    Oh, yes, these are great works. And wonderfully fotografed.
    Thank you so much MAXX, I'm glad you like them

Great work, keep it up!!!