Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some of my vintage style custom figures

Wow, your customs are amazing!

customizer of greyskull nightwing.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DiElEl View Post
    Great work, keep it up!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Wow, your customs are amazing!
    Thanks guys, I am so pleased you like my work, I will be posting more soon.

photo huntara.jpg

To Make My vintage style Huntara I used a vintage Angella figure as a base. I started off by removing all Angellas hair then cut a hole in the top of her head were i then placed the end of an Action Man (GI Joe) gun. This is where her hair would come out from.
    I then filled in all the tiny holes were her original hair came out from & smoothed off her head using 'fixit sculpt'.
    I then sculpted the lines of her outfit & arm bands with the same product.
    Her left hand was replaced with one from a 2004 She-Ra figure so she can now hold both of her swords.
    Her swords were made from little plastic cocktail sticks. They originally had little cactus on the ends of them but I cut those off & painted the remaining end part gold which could be used as the handle of her swords.
    I painted the entire figure using Humbrol enamel paints.
    The clear crystal which was on Angella’s chest was painted using orange glass paints.
    The top part of her outfit was made from a layer of fake leather which was covered in a layer of gold self adhesive foil. Ithen added blue holographic tape to give her a more vintage figure feel.
    I then added black elastic which goes under the figures arms to keep the top part of her outfit in place.
    I finished it off by punching 2 small holes on the back were her swords fit.
    The belt part of her skirt was made the same way as the top part of her outfit but I stitched blue ribbon to it to make a skirt, the belt/skirt fastens at the back with 2 popper buttons taken from an old She-Ra skirt.
    The mohawk section of her hair was made using fake fur.
    I then used white doll hair for her ponytail but I decided to just give her 2 little twists at each side of the ponytail so as it was a nod to her original cartoon hairstyle but still made her fit in better with the vintage figures.

photo horde horse.jpg

photo horde trooper on horse.jpg

I wanted to create a steed for the vintage Horde Troopers from the 80's He-Man & She-Ra toy lines so this is what i came up with.

I started off by using a vintage Stridor figure as a base & painted him in the same colours as a Horde Trooper.
    I then attached a Horde logo to his chest. I got the logo from a vintage Grizzlor's harness.
    To finish him off i gave him a slightly more robotic looking tail which i made from electrical wire.

This is really cool!! I love the tail

Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    Love your work, nightwing. Have you ever made a custom Enchantress?
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Filmation Hordak, MYP Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    This is really cool!! I love the tail
    Thank you. Yea I wanted to do something a little more robotic looking for the Horde Horses tail so I thought that electrical wire might be the right way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenQuetzale View Post
    Love your work, nightwing. Have you ever made a custom Enchantress?
    Thank you so much, I am so pleased you like my figures. I have to admit I have never been to make Enchantress but she would definitely be a cool one to work on.

photo king Micah.jpg

This is a figure I made of King Micah. I was asked to make him in the style of the vintage Princess of Power figures from the 1980’s, so I felt Bow would be the perfect base figure to achieve this look.

I started off by making King Micha’s crown from a gold plastic aerosol lid. Once I had the correct shape cut out I then attached 3 small blue craft gem’s.
    Next I cut off most of Bow’s hair using a sharp craft knife. I then sculpted him new hair & a beard using a product called ‘Fixit Sculpt’. Before the sculpt had set I pressed his crown into place to make sure it was a perfect fit to his new hair. I also sculpted the lower sections of his sleeves & the little circle covering the heart on his chest using the same product. Before the sculpt had set on his chest I pressed a larger blue craft gem into place.
    I then removed the paint on his left hand using nail polish remover & painted his upper body, hair, beard & boots using Humbrol enamel paints.
    At this point I started making the rest of his costume. So to make him fit in with the other POP figures I made the main section of his costume from faux leather which I covered with pink reflective film & then stuck a small section of gold film over that where his belt should be. Next I got some gold holographic tape which I used to make his belt buckle & decorative sections on his upper body & around his neck & back.
    I then took some fabric from an old ‘Veils of Mystery’ fashion & cut out his skirt section which I then stitched to his gold belt.
    Next I got some glittery gold fabric & made a cape which I stitched to the back of his main outfit. At this stage I attached 2 small popper buttons to the back of his belt. So when the outfit is not on the figure it looks like this

photo IMG_0624.jpg

To finish him off & gave him a vintage Masters of the Universe staff.
    Last edited by nightwing.; April 22, 2017 at 12:54pm.

That is a absolutely fantastic work! great job man ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SDMB View Post
    That is a absolutely fantastic work! great job man ;-)
    Thank you, I am so pleased you like him

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    ALLLLLLLL your stuff looooooooooks grrrrrrrreat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much He-bro, that really means a lot

photo madam razz.jpg

To Make my Vintage style Madam Razz figure was quite easy to do seeing as the MOTUC figure already fits in quite well with the vintage style. Originally I was going to make her a bit shorter but when you compare her to Kowl & Loo-Kee her height is fine.
    So the only changes I made to her was replace her plastic hair with fake fur hair & I also gave her a fabric cape. It was made using layers of blue glittery net. The top layer was see through black fabric. this way she still has the blue on the inside of her cape & the black on the outside but her cape has a similar feel to that of Frosta's were is is made up of layers instead of one piece of fabric.
    To give her a final POP feel I added a little orange gem stone for her belt buckle.

photo melog.jpg

I think the Melog has been my most challenging figure to make next to Dylamug.
    My main problem was making her so as she fitted in with the style of the official Princess of Power figures from the 80’s but still be recognizable as the cartoon character. Due to her character being made from mud I could not give her rooted hair, gem stones, holographic elements or flowing clothes which were all key factors in the design of the vintage figures.

To make her I started off with a vintage Castaspella figure as a base.

I started off by cutting off all Castaspellas hair & sanding off all the main details on her body, arms & legs.

After she was completely sanded & smoothed off I then started sculpting all the mud details onto her body & face using a product called ‘Fixit sculpt’.

I decided to give her a separate skirt piece just to help her fit with the look of the vintage figures so I decided to make one using fake leather & cut it in the shape of dripping mud so as it still looked like it was part of her body.

I then painted her body & face using Humbrol enamel paints. The most difficult part of painting her was matching the top part of her outfit with the colour of leather skirt.

Once she was painted I then went on to making her hair. Seeing as I could not give her rooted hair I decided just to sculpt it to really give the feeling of her being made entirely from mud. So to help try to make her fit in better with the style of the other vintage figures I decided to make her hair longer & have fuller body than that of the cartoon character. I then painted her hair brown.

Though I was pretty happy with how she looked I still felt there was something missing, so instead of giving her a gem stone & hologram details (which would look really out of place) I decided to add little tear drop jewels to her chest & on her skirt & painted them with copper paint that was dulled down a little with some black. This way they looked like little drops of mud but stood out just enough without being too out of place. I felt this could be a nod to the details of the vintage figures but still look like they belonged to the Melogs overall look.

Her articulation points are her arms, waist & legs.

photo octavia.jpg

To make my vintage style Octavia figure I used the head, upper torso & arms from the MOTUC octavia & attach them to the lower body & legs of a vintage Teela figure. I then cut off a section of her lower arms to shorten them a little so as they were in better proportion to the rest of her body. I also removed her horrible plastic hair & replaced it with rooted hair from a vintage Castaspella figure who I had to scalp.

photo princess adora 3.jpg

This is a custom figure I made of Princess Adora to fit in with the style of the official vintage Princess of Power figures from the 80's.
    She was made using a variety of spare POP figure parts i had lying in my parts drawer.
    her head is from a She-Ra
    Her arms are from Double Trouble
    Her upper body is from Angella
    & her lower body & legs are from Peekablue.
    I sculpted her boots using a product called fixit sculpt & then repainted her costume using humbrol enamel paints.
    I then used the belt from an old She-Ra skirt & hand stitched a new skirt onto it.
    To complete her outfit I made a red shoulder attachment which attaches under her arms & around her back using gold elastic.

photo queen marlena.jpg

To make this vintage style Queen Marlena figure I got a Teela figure & replaced her head with a MOTUC Marlena head. I repainted her body using Humbrol enamel paints & made her skirt from green t-shirt fabric. Her staff also came from the MOTUC Marlena figure.

I love that Queen Marlena figure.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    I love that Queen Marlena figure.
    Thanks j-bird, I'm glad you like her

photo princess adora 4.jpg

This custom is based on an idea a She-Ra fan named Mike Stone had on how he imagined Adora should have looked if she were to be released as a vintage Princess of Power figure back in the 80’s
    The overall look of her design is based more on her appearance from the vintage cartoon Adora. However she is also designed to tie in with the vintage Masters of the Universe Prince Adam figure.

In the cartoons Prince Adam wore a pink vest but his action figure wore a deep red vest. So I used the same idea for this Adora custom. In the cartoon she wore a red outfit but now her outfit has been swapped in the opposite way to Adams & she now wears a pink outfit.
    To make her I used the head from a Star burst She-Ra figure, the upper body from a Peekablue figure & the lower body, legs & arms from an Angella figure.
    Once I assembled the correct figure parts I then sculpted Adora’s boot tops using a product called ‘Fixit Sculpt’. When the sculpt had set I then painted her new outfit using Humbrol enamel paints.
    Next I got an old jacket belonging to a Western Fun Barbie doll seen here
    https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4070/4...30f39a6f_b.jpg

I chose this jacket as it is made from the exact same velvet style fabric the Prince Adam vest is made from which means Adora’s vest would tie in really well with Adams vest.
    The shade of pink was a little too deep for Adora so I bleached the jacket first to make it a little paler.
    I then looked at the design of Adam’s vest & made a pattern for Adora’s vest on some paper. Next i cut out the pattern shapes & stuck them onto the pink Barbie fabric. After cutting out the pattern shapes I hand stitched them together.
    Next I made her a belt from black elastic (again to match Prince Adams belt)
    To finish off her outfit I hand stitched some gold holographic tape to her belt for a buckle & also for her shoulder details as I felt this would help her fit in better with the look of the vintage Princess of Power figures.
    Her hair was kept the full length as this would also help give her that vintage POP look. I styled it in a similar fashion to Bubble Power She-Ra’s hair but just left out the 2 twisted sections.

If you would like to add her to your collection please check out the vintage marketplace forum as I have listed her there.

Heroic Warrior
    I love how this adora came out!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelStone1984 View Post
    I love how this adora came out!!!!!
    Thanks Michael, I couldnt have done it without your original idea for her design

Master of Mix & Match Charlie Brown's Avatar
    awesome works as always, adora looks really nice in that outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    awesome works as always, adora looks really nice in that outfit.
    Thank you so much Charlie Brown, I am really pleased you like her

you can see my latest Scorpia POP style Custom figure at this link. I hope you like her https://www.facebook.com/GaryAnderso...type=3&theater

Oh man. I absolutely love that version of Scorpia. She fits in perfectly with the line.
    Check out me and my friend's blog: Geek Culture

Quote Originally Posted by radrcks View Post
    Oh man. I absolutely love that version of Scorpia. She fits in perfectly with the line.
    Thank you so much, I am really pleased you like her