Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad Duck Posters MOTU print/poster discussion - Subscription plans

Mad Duck Posters MOTU print/poster discussion - Subscription plans

Hey everyone. My name is Brad Crites, and I am the owner of Mad Duck Posters. I am also a huge MOTU fan, and longtime member of the Org community as user KingHiss! I subscribed to the MOTU Classics line for it’s entire run. I am very passionate about the property!

Why mention all of this? Because I am an avid fan that is excited to offer a MOTU product to other fans, and I am coming from a perspective of deep knowledge of the MOTU mythos, and looking to create products that will appeal to a wide range of MOTU fans!

My company has recently obtained the MOTU license, and in partnership with DreamWorks and Mattel, we plan to release many MOTU products in the years to come.

Mad Duck Posters sells fine art licensed alternative movie posters and art prints as well as t-shirts and other merchandise. Our product focus is with the world of pop culture and thus far we have released licensed posters for Vertigo, The Third Man, and Re-Animator among many others. We have many DreamWorks animation releases planned for late Spring/Early Summer.

I would like to take a moment to clarify what our product actually is. Often when you hear “poster” you may think about a $5.99 product on cheap paper available at many retail chains . This is not what we produce.

We create limited edition, hand numbered, “fine art” prints and posters. “Posters” in this case are screen printed, hand pulled, on heavy 100# stock paper. They are hand numbered, limited editions meaning the poster will never be reprinted again! Runs can range anywhere from 50 prints and beyond, depending on the interest level.

For the purpose of this conversation, the terms “posters and prints” can be used interchangeably. They mean the same thing for all intents and purposes regarding the sub concept. Mad Duck Posters produces art as both screen prints and high quality giclee prints, only the finest quality is offered.

Collecting art prints is not so different from action figures/toys. There is no limit to what can be created. Much like toys, there is also a secondary market for art prints due to their extremely limited nature. I would not say to buy in as an investment, because nothing is ever guaranteed. However, I can honestly say that some posters with original retail prices of $65, now go for over $2000 in just a few years time. There are countless examples. This is not however “the norm” nor should it be the expectation. I can comfortably say that art prints rarely decrease in value.

With the introduction, out of the way, I want to take a moment to talk about Mad Duck’s plans for the MOTU license. We are going to produce a sub or subs, of product that you want to see! Working with Val Staples and He-man.org, we will be posting a very detailed questionnaire over the next two weeks. We want to hear what you think! Your feedback here will be crucial in shaping the direction of the sub! This will include everything from content to price points!

Much like the Classics line, we will need to hit a minimum number to make this all work. While I cannot share that number at this time, I will say that the number is far less than the rumored number Mattel needed for the Classics sub and is achievable with your support!

To kick things off properly, I will be selling a brand new 36X24 Fine Art Giclee of an epic Masters vs Evil Warriors battle in front of Castle Grayskull! These prints are not part of the sub, but a first offering from mad Duck Posters that will be made available to everyone, beginning Thursday at noon Eastern time!

With beautiful art by Carlos Valenzuela, we are proud to print our first licensed MOTU project, the “The Battle For Grayskull”! The art was designed to be reminiscent of the spectacular art from the vintage toys.

This print will be available in two additions, a timed edition and a variant.

The timed edition will give everyone who wants a copy the chance to buy a copy. The window will be open beginning Wednesday at 12pm eastern time and the window will close Monday at 12pm Eastern time! With this being a holiday weekend, I wanted to expand the release window to give everyone a chance! After this window closes, the print edition size will be set, and never reprinted to sell again as a print. This applies to all of our releases. We do not reprint any prints.

The variant edition will have a much smaller run size than the regular. The variant features both He-man and Skeletor in their Battle Armor!

Both prints will go on sale next week and I will be sharing the release details early in the week.

As conversation around the sub and questionnaire begins in earnest, I will be sharing more finished art and in work projects by Axel Giménez, as well as other artists. Feel free to discuss today in the forum, but be prepared for many more details next week!

In the meantime, head on over to madduckposters.com to check out the site! Feel free to follow us on social media and to sign up for our newsletter. We will of course, continue to update all MOTU projects here on the Org!

Release Details for “The Battle For Grayskull” Fine Art Giclee print.

Both prints are Fine Art Giclees limited edition, hand numbered prints with thousands of color gradients! They measure a whopping 36X24 in size!

Timed Edition Print – On sale at 12PM Eastern time this Wednesday, April 12th. Sale ends at 12PM Eastern time Monday, April 17th at 12pm eastern.
    • Cost $100. Edition Size: TBD as this will be determined by the quantity sold within the window!
    Variant Edition - On sale at 12PM Eastern time this Wednesday, April 12th. Sale ends as soon as quantity is sold out!
    • Cost $125. Edition Size: Run of 100.

*One note for all MOTU fans. This print is a special, over-sized Fine Art Giclee. The price point for a regular monthly print release as part of the sub, is targeted at half of this cost or less. TBD, with much more to be discussed with all MOTU fans!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Thank you for all the information Brad!

Heard about this some time ago on twitter and very excited for more MOTU related items in the horisont! Especially with artists like Carlos Valenzuela and Axel Giménez!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

These are gorgeous, just bad timing for me. After Power Con tickets and Exclusives and Comic Con Parking coming up. I sadly will have to pass on this. But hope to get the next round. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

I can't wait for people to see the posters I worked on, and I really hope to do more pieces with different factions at different worlds and ages, from Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power.

Widget
    Oh man these are nice! Sadly after spending a grand on Power Con I may have to pass on these?!! I'll keep a look out for future products!!!

Ok, so first off I love that this is a thing. thank you so much. I agree, beautiful artwork of my favourite property is almost as good as action figures and in some ways superior.

I look forward to what is to be produced, especially by the amazing talent of Alex Gimenez. His art is Impeccable.

That being said I love what you did for this first image...it's not good enough, but it's promising. No, I cannot support this particular piece but I love the idea and the passion you seem to show. If you can produce the proper art, I am certainl happy to pay a premium price. The direction you are going and the obvious love and knowledge you have for the work is understood and obvious.

Here is to additonal, later, and further works actually being of the quality and type that I personally can support. Again, not to harp on one subject but I am VERY excited to see what you can produce from Alex.

Hope this works out, fellow fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AXOR View Post
    I can't wait for people to see the posters I worked on, and I really hope to do more pieces with different factions at different worlds and ages, from Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power.
    I feel bad for the artist that they showcased above because unlike what I see there, I have a real high expectation that whatever you do is going to be worlds away better and directly a "Must Have"

I hope you get the chance to explore many vistas populated by the diverse roster of the MOTU brand. You have proven over the course of quite some time that you "get it" and also have the ability in spades to make "it" realized on print.

I hope they know you are worth the investment to lead the artwork to come.

Heroic Warrior
    Love the art, so many things I love about it.. but I can't afford a 100 dollar poster.

I see they will be hand numbered. Will they be signed as well?
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdude

I love the fact that we are getting another company making MOTU merchandise. However at $100, I think the art should be far far superior. No offense to the artist, I like the print, but it is so not worth $100.
    I have seen fan art far far superior to this piece and licensed artist equal to or better and paid around $10-$20 a print. Again love the idea of these, but price is a super issue.

Next week, the sub discussion will begin fully. I really want to see fan input as part of this process, to see if the sub will be feasible. Fan support will be needed! One subject we will discuss is price point. $100 for a limited edition, 36X24 Fine Art giclee is actually a great price, although $100 is still $100.

Cringer_luvr...not sure how much you know about fine art, but the kind of dollar amount that you mentioned would not even pay for the printing of half of a print. So, we are really talking about a different level of quality, and a very high end product.

This price point for this release is not the target for the sub. This is a large release, and really the equivalent of a vehicle or large beast in the MOTU Classic model. It's important to me that people realize this, as a sub would not be sustainable at that amount monthly. All of this will be discussed soon!

- - - Updated - - -

The new MOTU posters are now available for purchase! Grab yours while you still can!

https://www.madduckposters.com/collections/posters

Heroic Warrior
    I love the artwork on this. I would love to see images like this used for jigsaw puzzles, though that is just s selfish desire for me. Jigsaw puzzles are one of my FAVORITE past-times, but all MOTU puzzles are usually around 100-pieces (some vintage 300 pieces). This is a property that now has a main demographic of adults in their 30's and 40's. I would love to have a 1000-2000 piece puzzle, with nice artwork, that I could glue.

Anyway, all that being said, and back to the topic at hand, beautiful work. I look forward to seeing what other posters are created.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    I dig the idea of new art prints/posters!

This first one is so cool. I love that it has Filmation Heroic and Evil Warriors in it as well as Goat Man! Icer using the icicle spear looks so cool. (pun intended)
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

Would you like a chance to win a FREE MOTU print from Mad Duck Posters? All you need to do is give your answers to what you'd like to see in a print/poster subscription.

Mad Duck Posters has a series of questions about what you'd like to see in limited edition posters and prints. Every person who enters and provides their e-mail address at the end of the poll will be entered into a drawing for one free Masters of the Universe print!
    Click here to vote in the poll today. The poll closes on Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 at 11:59 PM Eastern time.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

I love this so much.... but man having She-Ra on swift wind getting ready to join the battle would have made this even more epic. A real missed opportunity to have the Princess of Eternia in such an epic battle scene.
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    I love this so much.... but man having She-Ra on swift wind getting ready to join the battle would have made this even more epic. A real missed opportunity to have the Princess of Eternia in such an epic battle scene.
    Or he could just have the license for MOTU.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Would you like a chance to win a FREE MOTU print from Mad Duck Posters? All you need to do is give your answers to what you'd like to see in a print/poster subscription.

Mad Duck Posters has a series of questions about what you'd like to see in limited edition posters and prints. Every person who enters and provides their e-mail address at the end of the poll will be entered into a drawing for one free Masters of the Universe print!
    Click here to vote in the poll today. The poll closes on Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 at 11:59 PM Eastern time.
    Voted!

Would love more poster artworks and looking forward to the Axel Giménez posters!

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Something is needling me about that print...

Do the proportions and perspectives seem off on some of the characters? Specifically evil-lyn & fang-or...

Fang-or's hand looks to be in what should be a fairly narrow space between evil-lyn's leg and staff

Also, does it seem odd that almost everyone, with few exceptions, is raising their weapon in a similar manner at the same time, as if the fight were choreographed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey everyone. I just wanted to take a moment to check in. I imagine all of you have seen the new poll on the Org homepage by now. Just in case you have not, Val posted it above, but here it is again...

http://www.he-man.org/polls/mad-duck-posters/

Your input here is very important to shaping the sub and product offered. You will find a range of price points and other incentives that your feedback will be critical for! Thanks to all of you that are interested in this project and potential with it!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    I take it this is one of the Art Posters by Axel Giménez (colors by Jeremy Roberts).

Looks VERY AWESOME!!

Can't wait for more information!!

18739091_1935590263389341_2679893822084838671_o.jpg
    Last edited by Jukka; June 1, 2017 at 06:11am.

Very cool!

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Final version -- dropping next week at madduckposters.com

The Poster is based on He-Man's transformation, and Skeletor head over Grayskull from Filmation intro.

But He-Man and Skeletor are fashioned in Alcala style, and Grayskull is based on the playset prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Crites
    Pricing info has not been finalized just yet, but will be communicated soon. This is a "prerelease" reveal!

18891455_1939170123031355_9028519951528595542_o.jpg

Very cool. I'll be checking it out.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Final version -- dropping next week at madduckposters.com

The Poster is based on He-Man's transformation, and Skeletor head over Grayskull from Filmation intro.

But He-Man and Skeletor are fashioned in Alcala style, and Grayskull is based on the playset prototype.

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...9&d=1496994084

18891455_1939170123031355_9028519951528595542_o.jpg
    When Axel Gimenez and Alfredo Alcala meet, this becomes automatically a must have!

In this case it's not just a must have, it's obbligation! Superb artwork Axel! The Alcala Skeletor in the background especially is awesome! All these masterpieces by Axel based on the first mini comics are amazing (i loved also the Power Con artwork with the long haired mini comic barbarian Prince Adam)! Alfredo Alcala would be proud for his great successor! I hope that Axel will have more mini comic based MOTU artwork to deliver soon.

When these will be availiable to order? Are more mini comic inspired MOTU posters coming out?
    Last edited by granamyr80; June 9, 2017 at 09:58am.

Heroic Warrior
    Love it, first didn't want to buy, but the implementation of skeletor is a brilliant idea. Looks beautiful, probably have to get it. Any news about the sub or is this individually released?

Heroic Warrior
    Any other teaser about the future posters and MOTU artwork?