Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe movie gets December 18, 2019 release date

Court Magician
    it think it be best if we had another animated series instead of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I used to be of that opinion. I sort of still am. However, if we get a film that is both a critical and, more importantly, a commercial failure then we can all kiss MOTU goodbye. I really donít think Goyer is capable of delivering a commercial or critical hit.
    Just curious...who would be capable of delivering a commercial and critical hit for this subject? I'm not saying Goyer is the guy at all, I'm really just curious as to who would be able to take this source material and create a hit film. It's not easy.

Is there a writer and/or director that the fans could get behind that would be able to satisfy us and the masses?

Heroic Warrior
    Sony Should Skip 'He-Man' And Make A 'She-Ra' Movie First

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...th-she-ra/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post
    Just curious...who would be capable of delivering a commercial and critical hit for this subject? I'm not saying Goyer is the guy at all, I'm really just curious as to who would be able to take this source material and create a hit film. It's not easy.

Is there a writer and/or director that the fans could get behind that would be able to satisfy us and the masses?
    James Gunn?

Quote Originally Posted by WDWFreak53 View Post

I could name many, many people who could make a better film than Goyer. His writing is okay if a competent director gets hold of his script(s). As for directing, though, he hasn't really done much and what he has done is under whelming or just generic.

Just from the top of my head, I think Jordan Vogt-Roberts (Kong: Skull Island) could make a fun, cool and genuinely unapologetic MOTU film. My dream director is and always has been Neill Blomkamp (if you've seen Chappie its clear he has a love for MOTU).
    Last edited by Krueger; December 4, 2017 at 08:40pm.

Obviously Goyer was not the first option, Sony searched for other directors, we already knew a lot of names like Rian Johnson, Lord and Miller, Andy Muschietti, Joe Cordish and more and for some reason or other these directors did not accept.

Then the options are reduced and the quality too.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; December 4, 2017 at 09:46pm.

Court Magician
    maybe Goyer will turn them down.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post

You know, I really like this idea. The time is ripe for She-Ra movie, as we need more female-led movies. TV has been successful with Buffy, Xena, Alias, and Supergirl, at least critically. Wonder Woman was the best superhero movie of 2017 and one of the best ever, IMHO. Adora's story is even more engaging than Adam's, in that she was stolen from her home to server under a despot. She realized the error of her ways and her true destiny, and fights in a war to atone for her mistakes and free the captives. That sounds like a perfect recipe for good storytelling. I really hope someone considers this.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Adora's story is even more engaging than Adam's, in that she was stolen from her home to server under a despot. She realized the error of her ways and her true destiny, and fights in a war to atone for her mistakes and free the captives. That sounds like a perfect recipe for good storytelling. I really hope someone considers this.
    It could be but He-Man shold be the first to be re-introduced back into the mainstream and then let establish the She-Ra mythology on her own . Sure, its 2 separate IPs but very close at the same time (they're twins after all!). I think that's what made so difficult do a She-ra series for Classic Media in the past and now for Dreamworks.
    He-Man must be part of her world one way or another because how possibly do you explain SOTS? Unless the rumored idea of she-ra & friends as a rockn roll band dancin & singing all day is really what has been planned by TV executives so far, could it be real?

Well, maybe just a small cameo of Adora in the so-hoped He-Man Sony movie would be enough and then let her doing her own film in the wake of WW' success? Even if I'm afraid Hollywood has more heavy female characters to let make their debut entry on the silver screen before the Princess of Power herself, like waiting commercial results for Captain Marvel with academy winner Brie Larson, a so-hyped Black Widow and possibly an A-force flick with Valkyrie & She-Hulk. For DC, other than WW 2, there are planned Gotham City Sirens, Harley Quinn and Whedon's Batgirl.
    Its sad but I totally find Sony more interested in developing now a Venomverse rather than MOTU so probably expect instead a She-Venom movie made first

Sure, her story has certainly been engainging for so long and had its momentum BUT not so until Marvel, in recent years, decided to (copy basically) create a female Thor (Jane Foster) or think to Star Wars's Rey for some capacity lol.

Anyway, David Goyer it's still in talks so its not a sure thing for now; what worries me the most is that December 19th slot is not good strategy date anymore, yeah probably movie rights will pass to Universal in 2020. And Mattel losing toy rights in 2023? Please I need a time machine!
    Last edited by Triklops 1; December 9, 2017 at 05:39pm.
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Kesmai View Post

I strongly agree! It would be awesome to see She-Ra and the Great Rebellion battling the Evil Horde on the big screen.

Once She-Ra has freed Brightmoon from the Horde at the end of the film (to provide a "win" for TGR, but leaving room for a sequel), she can receive a mysterious message through her magical sword about someone close to her who needs She-Ra's help on another world.

Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    I strongly agree! It would be awesome to see She-Ra and the Great Rebellion battling the Evil Horde on the big screen.

Once She-Ra has freed Brightmoon from the Horde at the end of the film (to provide a "win" for TGR, but leaving room for a sequel), she can receive a mysterious message through her magical sword about someone close to her who needs She-Ra's help on another world.
    How would she get the magical sword w/o Adam/ He-Man?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick.Jeep View Post
    How would she get the magical sword w/o Adam/ He-Man?

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post

Terrible just a terrible idea, She-Ra can NOT come before He-Man. Being completely realistic here She-Ra was never even that popular to begin with. I know people like to put He-Man and She-Ra on an equal pedestal but that is not accurate to the history of the franchise. Let's not forget that the Princesses of power toy line nearly bankrupted Mattel back in the day. I am not so eager to see the same mistakes repeated all over again.

What are the 5 most popular characters in the shared Masters universe. If you could only save 5 toys and the rest were destroyed in wildfire most people would say:
    - He-Man
    - Skeletor
    - She-Ra
    - Teela
    - Man-at-arms

No character from any franchise had a bigger impact on my childhood than He-Man. He was way bigger than Luke Sky-walker from what I remember. He-Man was almost a 24/7 phenomenon for me. I planned my whole day around watching the cartoon which came on at 3:30pm every afternoon. Homework or whatever can wait, He-Man is on. I had He-Man bed sheets, He-Man lunch box, He-Man themed birthday parties, I dressed up as He-Man every Halloween. I totally related to those kids in Ghostbusters II chanting "We want He-Man, He-Man where is He-Man." It wasn't the birth of Jesus I was celebrating on Christmas, it was the birth of He-Man. Who is the master of the universe? It's He-Man. Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Transformers, GI Joe, Go-Bots, Voltron, ninja turtles was just a bunch of background noise to my otherwise He-Man themed life. Marvel / DC properties were basically dead in the 80s and had no impact at all.

To this very day I ask myself: what happened? Where did it all go? Masters was on top of the world and then poof, gone, disappeared. The culture shifted so much I feel like I am walking around in the twilight zone. The stuff I really cared about no longer exists and the stuff that is popular now I have literally zero interest in at this point. I am like that old lady who used to say "Where's the beef" only I am saying where's the He-Man. Come on Hollywood where is the He-Man? Why you got to be such a disappointment.

To answer the question of what happened. The Masters franchise started to falter as far back as 1985 when Mattel canceled the MOTU cartoon at the height of its' popularity. Mattel had this bright idea to move all the toys into the girl's section and market the new stuff under the Princess of Power branding. I love She-Ra but the way Mattel marketed those toys was nothing short of a disaster. Mattel wanted to market MOTU to girls but they forgot the whole reason they created Masters in the first place was to market to boys because they already had Barbie. He-Man was supposed to be Barbie for boys and it worked for awhile until Mattel's logic looped back in on itself and they ended up eating their own tail. They were going to resell the "Barbie for boys" back to girls? That is some grade A idiocy right there.

In short, what happened? She-Ra happened. When She-Ra shows up that's the end of the road and the story is over. Same thing happened in the Eternity war comic books. When She-Ra showed up that was the end and we stopped getting new comics for the on-going series. She-Ra represents the death of He-Man sacrificed on the altar of stupidity. I am not so desperate to ruin the franchise all over again before it even gets off the ground just to get a She-Ra movie. That is crazy.
    Last edited by InThe80s; December 7, 2017 at 11:32pm.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    She-Ra absolutely can debut before He-Man, and she is going to do precisely that in the upcoming DreamWorks Animation Princess of Power animated series.

Moreover, it was the Intellivision that nearly bankrupted Mattel, not Princess of Power. While it did not match the 2-billion dollars generated by Masters of the Universe at its peak, Princess of Power managed to generate just over 453-million dollars.

Furthermore, Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power aired back-to-back in most markets as the He-Man and She-Ra Power Hour. As such, most casual viewers—to this day—do not know they are separate programs. The two characters most commonly associated with He-Man are She-Ra and Skeletor.

Mattel did not cancel the Masters of the Universe animated series to shift its efforts towards Princess of Power. The animated series was cancelled, because so many episodes had been produced, that even with them airing five days a week in syndication, viewers would only see each episode repeated once within a year.

Moreover, retailers had the discretion to display Princess of Power figures along with Masters of the Universe, Barbie, or both. Growing up in the greater Chicago area, smaller retailers such as drug and hardware stores often displayed them together, and larger retailers such as Circus World and Toys 'R' Us displayed them both with Masters of the Universe and Barbie. But I have never heard of any instance of Masters of the Universe toys being displayed "in the girl aisle."

Furthermore, only the six issues that comprise He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume 1 do not include She-Ra in some way. She is introduced in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume 2, which continues for 19 issues, and is included in Eternity War, which continues for another 15 issues. Not including appearances in one-shots or cross-overs, She-Ra is featured in the latter 34 of 40 issues of the run. I do not know how you can make the argument that her introduction is the harbinger of the end of the comic with a straight face.

Sorry, but your information—across the board—is just factually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    She-Ra absolutely can debut before He-Man, and she is going to do precisely that in the upcoming DreamWorks Animation Princess of Power animated series.
    Is that even still happening? What is the release date? The top hits on Google just point back to discussions on He-Man.org and other articles have been speculating on this since 2013. I am sure the network bean counters have done the same research I have.

Moreover, it was the Intellivision that nearly bankrupted Mattel, not Princess of Power. While it did not match the 2-billion dollars generated by Masters of the Universe at its peak, Princess of Power managed to generate just over 453-million dollars.
    Every lost penny went towards the near bankruptcy of Mattel, Intellivision and PoP included and there can be no doubt PoP was losing money at the end of its run. Is that a math fail on your part? He-Man (2B) is 4.4 times bigger than She-Ra (453m). When the bean counters see this they are going say let's do He-Man because he is worth 4 times as much as She-Ra. If they can't get He-Man to work then then their next conclusion will be let's not to do anything.

Furthermore, Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power aired back-to-back in most markets as the He-Man and She-Ra Power Hour. As such, most casual viewers—to this day—do not know they are separate programs. The two characters most commonly associated with He-Man are She-Ra and Skeletor.

Mattel did not cancel the Masters of the Universe animated series to shift its efforts towards Princess of Power. The animated series was cancelled, because so many episodes had been produced, that even with them airing five days a week in syndication, viewers would only see each episode repeated once within a year.
    Another math fail? There are more than 130 days in a year. Most networks aired five episode of MOTU per week which works out to going through the entire library in 26 weeks or exactly half a year. I remember the "He-Man and She-Ra power hour" where they would play one episode of MOTU followed by one episode of PoP. Casual viewers would come for He-Man and stay for She-Ra. There was always a rhythm with the way the power hour aired. First He-Man then She-Ra and then the show was over. Maybe this is why it sticks out in my mind so much with She-Ra being seen as the harbinger of the end because it was reinforced everyday hundreds of time throughout my childhood. When She-Ra came on the power hour was almost over.

Also what kind of argument is that anyway. Who cares if all the episodes can't be seen in a single year? It never stopped the Simpsons from making 700 episodes. Canceling MOTU was just a brain fart that they never owned up to and all we heard was excuses for 30 years. That is the problem with Mattel, they never admit their mistakes. The truth is they killed the golden goose and won't admit it.

Moreover, retailers had the discretion to display Princess of Power figures along with Masters of the Universe, Barbie, or both. Growing up in the greater Chicago area, smaller retailers such as drug and hardware stores often displayed them together, and larger retailers such as Circus World and Toys 'R' Us displayed them both with Masters of the Universe and Barbie. But I have never heard of any instance of Masters of the Universe toys being displayed "in the girl aisle."
    Toy-R-Us which was the biggest toy retailer at the time, always without exception put PoP toys in the girl aisle. I believe KB-Toys also did the same. This is literally the reason why I never owned the vintage She-Ra. My parents said: "No we're not buying you a girl's toy." I owned Hordak but never had a She-Ra action figure. Strangely the PoP villains were sold in the boy's section

Furthermore, only the six issues that comprise He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume 1 do not include She-Ra in some way. She is introduced in He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: Volume 2, which continues for 19 issues, and is included in Eternity War, which continues for another 15 issues. Not including appearances in one-shots or cross-overs, She-Ra is featured in the latter 34 of 40 issues of the run. I do not know how you can make the argument that her introduction is the harbinger of the end of the comic with a straight face.
    Ok I will give you this last one. Though I still feel like the on-going series followed the same pattern. When She-Ra shows up it means the story is almost over. I remember even complaining about this in the comic reviews that the story felt rushed because when they introduced She-Ra it felt like the story was coming to an end. And it did end. If you notice they are not making anymore comics.
    Last edited by InThe80s; December 8, 2017 at 07:12am.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Terrible just a terrible idea, She-Ra can NOT come before He-Man. Being completely realistic here She-Ra was never even that popular to begin with. I know people like to put He-Man and She-Ra on an equal pedestal but that is not accurate to the history of the franchise.
    From May, 2017.

Agreed please stop using the phrase "in vogue." The whole idea of what is popular is a catch-22 anyway. Often times something is only unpopular because there is no media being made and studios won't produce new media because it is unpopular. That is a catch-22. It won't become popular as long as there is no new media; however, they won't make new media because it is unpopular. Meanwhile stuff that is already popular stays popular because it is the ONLY show in town. Markets then become over saturated with a single genre of media, for example: Westerns in the 70s and comicbook superheroes now. Things kind of get stuck in a rut after awhile. Things don't change until a breakout movie appears and upsets the ballance of what is popular but when things do change it is like a dam bursting.

Looking back the public was already souring on Westerns in the 70s but Hollywwod kept chunging them out one after another because they didn't know what else to make. Market saturation opens the door for breakaway hit movies to emerge in different genres that were underserved. This is why we had Steven Speilberg and George Lucus energe as powerhouse directors in the late 70s and early 80s. They looked back to older media such as sci-fi B-movies of the 50s for inspiration. They both produced movies in a quote "unpopular" genre but were so successful they turned Hollywood upside down. The dam had burst and they were the ones who popped the bubble.

History repeats itself and what is old is new again. The comicbook superhero movie is the Western of the 21st century. Comicbook movies had a good long run but the market is oversaturated with them now. It is a bubble and stagnation is setting in. The signs are there. If you look at Hollywood overall, ticket sales are declining. Less people are going to the movies because there is nothing new to watch. Just reboots and sequals of sequals telling the same old story we already saw a thousand times before. It is a sign the public is looking for something new but just isn't finding it. The stage is set for a new type of movie to shake things up and breakout by going after underserved and media starved genres such as sword and sorcery. MOTU could be that movie that shakes up Hollywood if it is done correctly. All we need is a visionary and the proper will to get it done.

While I don't agree with that assessment of She-Ra's popularity level, imo I think a lot of what you said in the May post can apply to a leading She-Ra movie.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Being completely realistic here She-Ra was never even that popular to begin with.
    Being completely realistic, He-Man isn't popular right now either.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Has it been confirmed that that's what it's going to be called? Can’t wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Has it been confirmed that that's what it's going to be called? Can’t wait.
    I'm not sure its even confirmed that its happening...

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Is that even still happening? What is the release date? The top hits on Google just point back to discussions on He-Man.org and other articles have been speculating on this since 2013. I am sure the network bean counters have done the same research I have.
    The voice actors are being cast. The theme has been composed, and is being recorded. That is just from information that is available publicly. I think it is safe to say that it is going forward.

Every lost penny went towards the near bankruptcy of Mattel, Intellivision and PoP included and there can be no doubt PoP was losing money at the end of its run. Is that a math fail on your part? He-Man (2B) is 4.4 times bigger than She-Ra (453m). When the bean counters see this they are going say let's do He-Man because he is worth 4 times as much as She-Ra. If they can't get He-Man to work then then their next conclusion will be let's not to do anything.
    Of course Masters of the Universe made more money than Princess of Power, its run was twice as long. If Princess of Power had run as long as Masters of the Universe, it would have made over 1-billion dollars too.

Another math fail? There are more than 130 days in a year. Most networks aired five episode of MOTU per week which works out to going through the entire library in 26 weeks or exactly half a year. I remember the "He-Man and She-Ra power hour" where they would play one episode of MOTU followed by one episode of PoP. Casual viewers would come for He-Man and stay for She-Ra. There was always a rhythm with the way the power hour aired. First He-Man then She-Ra and then the show was over. Maybe this is why it sticks out in my mind so much with She-Ra being seen as the harbinger of the end because it was reinforced everyday hundreds of time throughout my childhood. When She-Ra came on the power hour was almost over.
    Try a reading comprehension fail:

The animated series was cancelled, because so many episodes had been produced, that even with them airing five days a week in syndication, viewers would only see each episode repeated once within a year.
    There are 260 workdays in a year. There are 130 episodes of Masters of the Universe. Ergo, even with episodes airing five days a week, viewers would only see each episode repeated once within a calendar year.

Also what kind of argument is that anyway. Who cares if all the episodes can't be seen in a single year? It never stopped the Simpsons from making 700 episodes. Canceling MOTU was just a brain fart that they never owned up to and all we heard was excuses for 30 years. That is the problem with Mattel, they never admit their mistakes. The truth is they killed the golden goose and won't admit it.
    It is a cost/benefit argument. Businesses care if they are spending money wisely. Unlike The Simpsons, the animated series of Masters of the Universe is not means unto itself. At the time, Mattel weighed the cost of producing new episodes against the expected return in merchandise sales, and did not think the benefit outweighed the costóespecially when they already had a massive library of over 130 episodes that were airing five days a week. Now, one could argue they made the wrong calculation, and I might be inclined to agree, but I can see how, on paper, it looks like the right decision. It did not single-handedly bring down Masters of the Universe, and did not have anything to do with Princess of Power.

The voice actors are being cast. The theme has been composed, and is being recorded. That is just from information that is available publicly. I think it is safe to say that it is going forward.
    Well I got some really bad news for you then if think that because it appears the project has been canceled. Every link in this thread is now dead.
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...She-Ra-Coming-!

Kari Kimmel deleted She-Ra from her resume.

Of course Masters of the Universe made more money than Princess of Power, its run was twice as long. If Princess of Power had run as long as Masters of the Universe, it would have made over 1-billion dollars too.

Try a reading comprehension fail:

There are 260 workdays in a year. There are 130 episodes of Masters of the Universe. Ergo, even with episodes airing five days a week, viewers would only see each episode repeated once within a calendar year.

It is a cost/benefit argument. Businesses care if they are spending money wisely. Unlike The Simpsons, the animated series of Masters of the Universe is not means unto itself. At the time, Mattel weighed the cost of producing new episodes against the expected return in merchandise sales, and did not think the benefit outweighed the cost—especially when they already had a massive library of over 130 episodes that were airing five days a week. Now, one could argue they made the wrong calculation, and I might be inclined to agree, but I can see how, on paper, it looks like the right decision. It did not single-handedly bring down Masters of the Universe, and did not have anything to do with Princess of Power.
    You can continue to believe in whatever fantasy you want to believe in. There is never... ever going to be a serious revival of either She-Ra or He-Man as long Mattel won't admit its' mistakes. How can they expect to revive Masters if they don't understand why it died in the first place? Canceling MOTU and shifting resources to PoP killed the golden goose. It is often cited as one of the reasons the 1987 movie failed was because the cartoon was no longer on the air when the movie released. Compared to making the movie continuing the cartoon would have been relatively cheap. So tell me about that cost/benefit argument again, it doesn't seem to hold water. Mattel as a company is too stupid to exist. It seems Mattel didn't create Masters out of any kind of stroke of genius on their part. They just kind of stumbled upon it by accident, didn't understand the gold mine they had and then lost it. They haven't been able to bring it back because they never really understood what they were doing in the first place. They just got lucky.

This is why I was cheering when it looked like Hasbro might buy Mattel. Hasbro might not be any better but at least they don't have the same baggage as Mattel. Trying to do She-Ra first is just another one of their brain farts in a long list of screw ups. The She-Ra cartoon they were planning failed before it even got out the door. If that isn't enough of a warning to ditch the She-Ra first concept then I don't know what else to say.
    Last edited by InThe80s; December 9, 2017 at 02:39am.

Some other explanations: Maybe Kari Kimmel wasn't supposed to say anything, or DreamWorks caught wind of her statements and asked her to delete them so they could do the big reveal via a press release in 2018. I'm guessing they are probably still working on the series, and that it's too early for an official press release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Some other explanations: Maybe Kari Kimmel wasn't supposed to say anything, or DreamWorks caught wind of her statements and asked her to delete them so they could do the big reveal via a press release in 2018. I'm guessing they are probably still working on the series, and that it's too early for an official press release.
    IMDB also deleted its' reference to She-Ra and they never delete anything unless it is factually incorrect because it is their job to break stories before the official press release.

The Facebook link from your thread is also dead.

Along with Kari Kimmel deleting She-Ra from her resume that is three strikes against this show actually being real. Your initial thread is even phrased as a question. Dreamworks Animated She-Ra Coming?! Is this real life? Well the answer is NO. Your thread had too much speculation and wishful thinking to begin with. Now we know for sure that it is not happening. If you have any other evidence of it being real I would like to see it.

The Facebook post from Commercial Talent Agency about Merit was deleted by them soon after I posted the link. People were asking them questions ect.

The next day they posted a new one about Merit, but removed all the references to DreamWorks and She-Ra.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...bstory_index=0

That's why I don't think Kari Kimmel removing the references too necessarily means that DreamWorks cancelled the series.