Page 6 of 79 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: New Movie News and Rumors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I wouldn't be sure. This is Warner Bros.' DCEU we are talking about here. They haven't been really able to hit anything out of the park yet. I would wait until after the movie is out before I make any sort of declarations...
    (Sticks fingers in ears) LAH LAH LAH LAH!!! I can't hear you!!! Stop using facts and logic! You're ruining my fantasy!!

Seriously though, I guess that's what I want for HE-MAN, too. A lot of people see it as just a cheezy, pointless 80s property, but I would love for the movie to be a success. I don't expect it to be the next breakout hit, but it would be great if it at least did pretty well.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    What I do find curious, though, is a lot of people round here seem to have no trouble in continuously undermining MOTU, almost belittling it. I know those people would just say they’re being “realistic” and practical. I just can’t help but have the feeling that some have a weird sense of ownership. As though they want MOTU to remain “theirs”, almost fearful of the idea of it entering the mainstream once again.

What, because the Transformers films have apparently destroyed the TF brand, and a bad MOTU film would do the same? Despite the fact that that opinion is pretty much 100% wrong, a lot of people, and yes, even Transformers fans, actually like those films. And yes, I’m going to say it; they have only helped the brand thrive and endure.

MOTU is still out there, and a lot of people, lo and behold, know what it is. A lot of UK viewers have certainly had a taste of MOTU recently in the form of that advert about insurance that’s been playing all over the place, in primetime slots no less. Pop culture is a powerful thing. You only had to see how much excitement on social media and the like was generated when news of the release date broke.

I think some fans should give MOTU a break.
    I agree. I do hope they stick with this 2019 date and don't get any further delays, because the generation that grew up on MOTU and their kids aren't getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Agreed please stop using the phrase "in vogue." The whole idea of what is popular is a catch-22 anyway. Often times something is only unpopular because there is no media being made and studios won't produce new media because it is unpopular. That is a catch-22. It won't become popular as long as there is no new media; however, they won't make new media because it is unpopular. Meanwhile stuff that is already popular stays popular because it is the ONLY show in town. Markets then become over saturated with a single genre of media, for example: Westerns in the 70s and comicbook superheroes now. Things kind of get stuck in a rut after awhile. Things don't change until a breakout movie appears and upsets the ballance of what is popular but when things do change it is like a dam bursting.
    This is a very important thing to remember.

One thing that was stressed to me is how important it is to not chase a trend. If Sony tries too hard to emulate something specific, like "Guardians of the Galaxy", then by the time Christmas of 2019 rolls around, the bubble of that sort of film might've burst.

MOTU is great because it's so off-the-wall and has so many big, crazy ideas. It borrows from stuff, but it's its own beast and there's nothing like it. I hope Goyer and everyone focus on what makes He-Man unique. That's the best chance they have of getting a hit.

Heroic Warrior
    The new King Arthur: Legend Of The Sword movie reminds Jeremy Jahns of He-Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNNW...utu.be&t=3m45s

Heroic Warrior
    as much as I enjoyed the GotG movies, the last thing I want is to see MotU be a GotG 2.5/lite.
    I don't want to be in the theater and see Prince Adam, Orko, or even a widget spend "10 minutes" dancing to some 70's tune during the opening credits or Ram-Man be made into another Drax clone, loud and laughing AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

It needs to find its own voice, one found from within its many media iterations and genre history.

for all we know, once the 20's hit the Marvel template might be wringed dry.
    only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    as much as I enjoyed the GotG movies, the last thing I want is to see MotU be a GotG 2.5/lite.
    I don't want to be in the theater and see Prince Adam, Orko, or even a widget spend "10 minutes" dancing to some 70's tune during the opening credits or Ram-Man be made into another Drax clone, loud and laughing AHHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

It needs to find its own voice, one found from within its many media iterations and genre history.

for all we know, once the 20's hit the Marvel template might be wringed dry.
    only time will tell.
    I agree 100%. Personally I would love for it to have a filmed in the 80s feel to it. Use as little CGI as possible. Nothing like GOTG. No popular music hits or artists. Just a really good score using an all instramental orchestra. Give it the same look/feel as the original Conan the Barbarian or Beastmaster movies. Use as little CGI as possible. No big name actors. Hand made costumes/props/landscapes. Use the same techniques that would have been used in the 80s. Hell even make the film have a grainy look to it.

Show the world that great movies can still be made with little to no CGI.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

They should look to Mario Bava's Hercules In The Haunted World for some inspiration in the visuals and costumes department. Another example of what they were able to pull off decades ago without relying on CGI. Bava's backgrounds and lighting... I would love to see some of this influence when it comes to representing Snake Mountain on the silver screen!

Master of New Adventures!
    This, this!

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCBaer View Post
    This is a very important thing to remember.

One thing that was stressed to me is how important it is to not chase a trend. If Sony tries too hard to emulate something specific, like "Guardians of the Galaxy", then by the time Christmas of 2019 rolls around, the bubble of that sort of film might've burst.

MOTU is great because it's so off-the-wall and has so many big, crazy ideas. It borrows from stuff, but it's its own beast and there's nothing like it. I hope Goyer and everyone focus on what makes He-Man unique. That's the best chance they have of getting a hit.

Heroic Warrior
    Count me as cynical, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not another live-action MOTU film will be any good, especially now that it's coming on the heels of a plethora of sci-fi/superhero/fantasy films. Obviously, the special effects will be first rate at this point - the concern I have is with the story/casting/etc.

I am a big fan of super-hero/sci-fi films in general, but I have been extremely disappointed with many of the ones that have come out in the past five-ten years. I did like the first Superman re-booted film (2013), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014), X-men: Apocalypse (2016), and the Suicide Squad (2016). But, for the most part I've been disappointed with most of the other X-men films, most of the Spider-man films, the first Avengers film, Dr. Strange (2016), Superman & Batman (2016), and most other genre movies.

I actually did like the 1987 MOTU film - but I only began to appreciate this years after it was originally released. I re-watched that again this year and really dug the film.

It will be ironic if I end up enjoying the '87 MOTU film more than the forthcoming 2019 film - LOL.

I'm in the same boat as you.

Personally, the only "comic" movies I've enjoyed since the dawning of the "Summer Movies = Superhero Movies" trend are....
    Batman Begins
    Dark Knight
    Spider-Man 1 & 2
    Iron-Man 1
    Man of Steel
    Batman V Superman (Take out the awful "Martha" bit and the annoying Lex Luthor I highly enjoyed it.)
    Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
    Ant-Man
    The Avengers
    Captain America: Winter Soldier
    X-Men
    X-2
    X-Men First Class
    Suicide Squad
    Logan

That list seems pretty long but if you think of how many comic movies have come out, more often than not, I walk away just shrugging my shoulders because they're so repetitive.
    I do, however, like the Marvel Netflix series (Luke Cage could've been a lot better though). I'm not excited for Infinity War...I'm not excited about Thor:Ragnarok. I am looking forward to Wonder Woman because it feels "different."

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    Count me as cynical, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not another live-action MOTU film will be any good, especially now that it's coming on the heels of a plethora of sci-fi/superhero/fantasy films. Obviously, the special effects will be first rate at this point - the concern I have is with the story/casting/etc.

I am a big fan of super-hero/sci-fi films in general, but I have been extremely disappointed with many of the ones that have come out in the past five-ten years. I did like the first Superman re-booted film (2013), Guardians of the Galaxy 1 (2014), X-men: Apocalypse (2016), and the Suicide Squad (2016). But, for the most part I've been disappointed with most of the other X-men films, most of the Spider-man films, the first Avengers film, Dr. Strange (2016), Superman & Batman (2016), and most other genre movies.

I actually did like the 1987 MOTU film - but I only began to appreciate this years after it was originally released. I re-watched that again this year and really dug the film.

It will be ironic if I end up enjoying the '87 MOTU film more than the forthcoming 2019 film - LOL.

Trying not to get too excited about this. There is still a really big chance it's cancelled, BUT if it's not cancelled that probably means new movie action figures in stores everywhere! It's hard for me not to get excited about that. Would Super7 be the ones making these toys? Would it use the same buck as the classics, just modified to look like the actors?

I'm guessing they would be all new sculpts made by someone other than Super7.

Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Trying not to get too excited about this. There is still a really big chance it's cancelled, BUT if it's not cancelled that probably means new movie action figures in stores everywhere! It's hard for me not to get excited about that. Would Super7 be the ones making these toys? Would it use the same buck as the classics, just modified to look like the actors?

I'm guessing they would be all new sculpts made by someone other than Super7.
    I would have thought they would be made by Mattel?

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I would have thought they would be made by Mattel?
    Pretty sure Mattel sold the rights to Super7.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OK, I'll play Devil's Advocate.

We all know that MATTEL sold the rights to MOTU to SUPER 7. Pretend that the movie is a hit, and toys are in demand. Can SUPER 7 handle the demand? I'm not criticizing them, but they are a much smaller company than MATTEL.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Master of Music baileyrecords's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    OK, I'll play Devil's Advocate.

We all know that MATTEL sold the rights to MOTU to SUPER 7. Pretend that the movie is a hit, and toys are in demand. Can SUPER 7 handle the demand? I'm not criticizing them, but they are a much smaller company than MATTEL.
    Good point. Mattel couldn't even handle the demands.

Did Mattel actual sell the rights? Or just license them to Super 7?
    I am Stratos, Heroic Master of Music! and proud member of the Ohio Masters

Creator of Kaiju Kaos.

Quote Originally Posted by baileyrecords View Post
    Did Mattel actual sell the rights? Or just license them to Super 7?
    I certainly don't have any info, but I'm assuming MATTEL are just licensing MOTU to S7. Yes, I did say "sold the rights" earlier, but realistically, I don't think MATTEL would just sell off HE-MAN. They completely created HE-MAN....it's not like it was already a cartoon or a comic book. It totally came from MATTEL drawing boards.
    Odd Man Out

I would be shocked if Mattel gave up any toy rights to future movies to Super7.

Probably mattel licensing to super7 or other brands as sideshow or loyal to make products on the film for the adult collector market .

But undoubtedly Mattel will not miss a big event as a movie and will make all kinds of products.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't believe this rumor, but this guy is talking about how Sony wants other villain than Skeletor to be the main bad guy in the first Masters of the Univese movie.

Interesting view point and I suppose it would work if there was a guaranteed trilogy. But I still think Skeletor should be the main villain.

Don't believe it. I would argue and say Skeletor is actually more iconic than He-Man. Don't see this at all.

What is this guy talking about seriously? Good luck removing a massive marketing icon such as Skeletor and hope to make money.
    You make your first MOTU movie without him and you are doomed to fail. Skeletor is a true icon and I too world argue that he's even more iconic than He-Man.

This sin't rocket Science and you can make 5 amazing movies cover it all.

MOTU 1 - The rise of Skeletor and Adam becoming He-Man...hinting at a more powerful villain at the end.
    MOTU 2 - Hordak arrives and we get introduced to Adora
    MOTU 3 - Snake Men rise and take over, heroes go to ground
    MOTU 4 - He-Man/She-Ra go to space and fight massive war with Horde Empire.
    MOTU 5 - The King He-Man/Dare story.

It's all there waiting for a smart clever writer and a director to expand upon and it can be really nice start - middle- end bunch of movies.

But again, to suggest no Skeletor is just daft I think.

Yes....awesome Eamon!!!
    PRO CLASSIC POP TOY DESIGN ELEMENTS BEING USED IN MOTUC TO COMPLEMENT THE FILMATION DESIGNS!!!!

I FULLY SUPPORT THE INCLUSION OF ILLUMINA IN MOTUC!!!!!

IF YOUR SICK OF WAITING FOR A LIGHT TO APPEAR AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL, STRIDE DOWN THERE AND LIGHT THE BLOODY THING YOURSELF!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Angel-T View Post
    Yes....awesome Eamon!!!

Thanks. You could then have two separate She-Ra movies in between all that. Like between MOTU 2 and 3.

I totally see the guy's point about saving SKELETOR for the end, but I don't think MOTU would work that way. Let's be honest....there's a damm good chance that even if it does happen, a MOTU movie is going to be a one-off.

As far as SKELLY being more iconic than HE-MAN, I tend to agree. I recently saw a LAW & ORDER: SVU episode where a guy called Detective Munch SKELETOR. STAR LORD made a SKELETOR reference in GUARDIANS 2. A stage magician called MR. BURNS 'SKELETOR' in an episode of THE SIMPSONS. Even in that recent grocery store commercial, SKELETOR is featured as the main character while HE-MAN only shows up at the end.

We are all huge fans, but realistically, a MOTU movie is tricky. They have to put something out there to interest kids and adults who have never heard of the property. They have to grab the attention of folks who haven't obsessed about this for the past 3 decades.
    Odd Man Out