Thread: He-Man: I Have The Power! - 2017 Power-Con program guide cover artwork by SiMo Sol

He-Man: I Have The Power! - 2017 Power-Con program guide cover artwork by SiMo Sol

Hi there.

Now that it's finished I want to share my latest artwork with you.
    Some of you may have seen it before in the Power Con Thread, as "He-Man: I Have The Power!" will be the 2017 Power-Con program guide cover. I am really proud of this, because now I am actually part of a great line-up of incredible MOTU artists, who did former Power Con cover artworks.

It was really a challenge to paint this. The famous transformation. And you can easily ******* it up. Since this is a key moment of every MOTU story, I did not want to fail at all, but I really had respect to this scene.
    This sequence was always stunning for me as a child, when I watched the Filmation cartoon. These powers, the dynamics... incredible. A lot of artworks showing up Adam's transformation into He-Man include a lot of... well... light and shine and tinsel... but it's weird - they still they seem to appear with a kind of statics instead of magic. Anyway. I wanted it to be loud and powerful and just a big bad bang. As far as possible without any sound. *giggle

Visualizing the power itself was an important aspect for me. So I had to find out how to make the sword (as a key object) kind of a conductor for the power of Grayskull. Early sketches showed up "just" a bright glowing sword, but honestly it just looked like a bigger lightsaber from Star Wars EP. LXVII, that's not what I wanted it to appear. So I decided to surround it with a kind of magical aura and to let only the touched parts glow up - brightly! I choose blue (as complementary colour to orange) for the shine to show a kind of power that is different than anything else and it visually flows through He-Man's veins, which are glowing up in this moment, too.

Enough of words.
    Oil on canvas, 70 x 100 cm.

And here is a video of the full 4-months-painting process.
    Enjoy!

Everybody said: it is not possible.
    Then someday someone did it.

__________________________________________________ ________

Join me on facebook: SiMo Sol's Atelier
    __________________________________________________ ________

Really cool artwork and thanks for posting the video as well.

Thank you very much for sharing your art. It's awesome.