Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2565737475
Results 1,851 to 1,863 of 1863

Thread: Dreamworks Animated She-Ra officially coming to Netflix in 2018

Grammer Flunky
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    UGH. I said it a few pages back, deja vu!
    I do like this reply though. I guess his (her?) opinion doesn't count

>>
    @Blancomorgan: @straczynski: my issue with the new #SheRa is that I was an LGBT kid who risked being ridiculed for loving it. Now I am risking it for saying the new series doesn't show signs of being good. When is it okay to say that bad art is just bad art?>>>

at least some people arn't afraid to speak up

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    https://twitter.com/notstevely/statu...74971449020416

--------------------

TWITTER COMMENTS FROM THE CREW

@gullshriek: I want to say thank you again to everybody drawing fanart. My comments started devolving into like, banging rocks together & grunting ART GOOD so I mostly stopped, but if I faved it I saw it and I love it and I love you and I hope you all love the show !!
    @gullshriek: If I DIDNT fav it I probably didn't see it so please send it to me!

@CozyJamble: I'm at #SDCC18: direct me to all the #SheRa cosplayers, internet!

@Gingerhazing: Looking to get your She-Ra fix while you wait for the new series to come out? Might I recommend Flowers for Hordak, my absolute favorite episode from the OG series:
    @gullshriek: this ep and My Friend, My Enemy are my favorites

@tiffchiuart (from Instagram): All the fan art we found and printed on the work wall from social media just after a week of releasing the look She-Ra and the Princesses of Power. So proud to see this after working on this show for the past 2 years. Show doesn't even release until November 16th! #shera #sheraandtheprincessesofpower #netflix #runningoutofwall

@chezlajo (from Instagram): Revealed She-Ra's design less than a week ago and the Internet is EXPLODING with amazing fan art. Keep it coming, we LOVE IT! #shera #fanart #princessofpower

@mickequ: i can't believe... all this lovely support... I really didn't expect this. you guys are amazing
    @actor_morla: SO RAD!!!! Huge congrats!
    @mickequ: thank you morla!!! congrats to you too, we couldn't make the show without you!!

@jessblatter: I see a lot of idiots filling their diapers about She-Ra not being sexy enough and I gotta hand it to you, you've done some great work here!! Congrats and I am so proud of and for you
    @CozyJamble: Haha, thanks lady! Honestly, the sheer amount of positive response to her has drowned out the few negative voices for me - can't wait 'til everyone sees our gal in action, she's going to blow people's minds.

@LauraSreebny: I can already tell I'm going to go broke buying prints of everyone's #SheRa fan-art someday.

@RianSygh: Mannnn the hardest thing so far about animation is that I just coloured a really cool thing that I'm super proud of and no one will see it for like three years!! Just, take my word for it! I think it's cool!
    @hamishsteele: Dang yeah doing animation and comics makes you realise how fast comic turn around is. Even waiting a year for a book to come out goes by in a flash.
    @RianSygh: Especially once you're doing both because I have no memory of doing anything because I'm always working and exhausted ha ha ha

TWITTER COMMENTS FROM THE CAST

@aimeecarrero: Real talk, I truly do not care one bit if you don't think the new #SheRa is "sexy" enough. She-Ra isn't here to please you. She-Ra is here to topple the machine and has zero time for your misogyny. NEXT!
    @aimeecarrero: Oh, and I play #SheRa, btw.
    @gingerhazing: (9 heart emojis)
    @gullshriek: that's our adora
    @Dihuh: Aimee and the rest of the voice talent bring so much life into all the characters. I'm excited for you all to hear them when the episodes drop!
    @MsShaneLynch: She-Ra speaks for herself (inserted strong flex arm emoji)

@JessicaChobot: Updated She-ra for a new generation! Looking forward to seeing the revamp of Crystal Castle & Crystal Falls in Etheria! @netflix @Mattel #SheRa
    @actor_morla: You're probably the #1 person I've been dyyyying to tell about this since we started recording. So glad! Can't wait for you to see it!
    @JessicaChobot: MORLA! ARE YOU VOICING A CHARACTER IN THIS!? ****!!!!! I AM SO JEALOUS! YOU'RE AWESOME!!!
    @actor_morla: YOU'RE awesome! PS - I feel a viewing party brewing.
    @Jessica Chobot: Totally down!

@KarenFukuhara: SHE-RA sneak peak! #SheRa
    @MaryEMcGlynn: Yeeeeeessss!!

J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI TWEETS

@kawaiiberpunk: There are grown ass men in my mentions saying **** like "She-Ra is supposed to be the ideal woman" and like ignoring how creepy that is, does that mean He-Man is the ideal man. Y'all dudes gotta get bowl cuts and start dressing in fur lined boots ASAP I guess
    @straczynski: 1/ As the guy who co-created the character of She-Ra and her universe alongside Larry DiTillio (though Mattel named her), a few thoughts. (Note: I am in no way connected with the current show, so I'm speaking both as an outsider to what is and an insider to what was intended).
    @stracynski: 2/ We never considered or wrote for She-Ra as "the ideal woman." I don't think that phrase appeared anywhere in the bible we wrote, and certainly never in our discussions. We spoke, and wrote of, and considered her a warrior, first and foremost.
    @stracynski: 3/ So I think anyone who is looking back at She-Ra (or Adora) as the "ideal woman" is doing so through the lens of prepubescent (since it was aimed at kids) interest and kind of, understandably, imprinted on her like baby ducks. I get it. But that wasn't the creative *intent*.
    @stracynski: 4/ To the whole "idealized person" discussion, I would add that there is a significant distinction to be made in terms of how a character like She-Ra is discussed or seen versus how male characters are seen both in shows like this and in super-hero books in general.
    @stracynski: 5/ Yes, male characters tend to be idealized in form and proportion; but female characters tend to be objectified. There is a profound difference between those two, and failing to perceive that distinction is pernicious. That's why you'll rarely see a male superhero without pants
    @stracynski: 6/ By that I don't mean naked, I mean without leggings of some kind. But that's absolutely the rule for female characters (I say this as the guy who put Wonder Woman in pants during his run because seriously it's hard to fight otherwise) No leg hair for guy heroes.
    @stracynski: 7/ Anyway, just wanted to add some possible clarity to the discussion. If you're looking for writers to create your "ideal woman" that wasn't the intent, this ain't it, and we don't know you well enough to guess, and be aware that idealization does not equal objectification.
    @stracynski: 8/ That perspective is something I've always tried to bring to bear in my work, from co-creating She-Ra's personality to Delenn, Ivanova, Lyta and others on Babylon 5, all the way to Riley, Sun, Kala, Nomi and Amanita on Sense8. It's all about strength, smarts and wit.

@Blancomorgan: @straczynski: my issue with the new #SheRa is that I was an LGBT kid who risked being ridiculed for loving it. Now I am risking it for saying the new series doesn't show signs of being good. When is it okay to say that bad art is just bad art?
    @straczynski: The problem is defining bad art. Because if it's *truly* bad art then no one can like it. If some or many do, then it's not bad art. It may not be to your taste (nor does it have to be), but it's not a black-and-white situation. (Unless the art is in black and white.)

@marvelzombiek: are you exhausted talking with the outrage crowd yet?
    @straczynski: I've been chatting online since the late 1980s...there's not much that bothers me or much I haven't seen before.
    This sounds like a bunch of PR. I'm not going to buy into it one bit. The quality of the show is what's to be judged not the comments of the developers because market wise of coarse there going to be as positive with the show as they can be about it.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    With me, it always comes down to preserving the core concept of the character, In She-Ra's case, that core was that she was a strong, powerful, heroic woman. When the character design overly masuclinizes her, it undermines that core. I'll be honest, I'm not crazy about the style in general; I don't think it fits the character well. Now, I don't know the tone of the show, so maybe I'm off there, but I think something with a little more edge might have been better so it doesn't look like a bunch of other magic girl type shows. Then again, after a bunch of incredibly written shows in the DC Timmiverse, I'm still bugged by the fact the designs never gave anyone a lower lip. Seriously, one lousy little line under the mouth,how much does that take? Doesn't keep me from calling Justice League one of the best TV shows of the last several decades, though, so we'll see what happens here.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
    This sounds like a bunch of PR. I'm not going to buy into it one bit. The quality of the show is what's to be judged not the comments of the developers because market wise of coarse there going to be as positive with the show as they can be about it.
    It sounds like a bunch of BAD PR, horrendously bad PR in fact. So bad in fact even people who like the designs will be turned off by snide anti-fan replies.

The real issue is people don't like change. If a character that has been around for a while is changed then a lot of fans are going to resist that change. Resistance is natural and people will come to terms with it on their own time and their own way. The WORST thing the PR people can do is try to force people to like the changes and then go on the offensive bash the fans as over sexualizing the characters.

Here a funny thing happened. Just Yesterday Disney announced a live action reboot of Kim Possible and people went through the same nonsensical back and forth we just had with She-Ra. Long time fans didn't like they took away her crop top and others immediately lashed out with accusations that people sexualizing the character. Here we have the opportunity to look at it from a neutral standpoint because none of us should have a dog in the race. We are outsiders.

This is what we look like to outsiders when we argue over She-Ra. It is literally the same back and forth argument we just had over She-Ra but they are talking about Kim Possible.

Link to the tweets between fans who don't like the changes and others who defend it in the worst way instead of just letting people have an opinion.
    https://twitter.com/rhodeytvny/statu...25024336068608
    Last edited by InThe80s; Yesterday at 11:43pm.

Heroic Warrior
    ^Hmm well there is one difference from the She-Ra debate, in that it doesn't look like anyone can argue the updated Kim looks too boyish. Seems more a contention over her outfit and "sexualization" or lack thereof?

I'm more sympathetic to the arguments that She-Ra looks too boyish, though I'm not fully convinced, since there's the lingering age question, and her level of boyishness varies between images. I understand the criticisms, but I'm not fully convinced yet.

I'm concerned, but not really worried yet, if that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG I just had a thought. What if Adora's transformation actually involves her changing from a girl into a MALE She-Ra. Aren't the Adora images all fairly girlish so far, while the She-Ra images are the "boyish" ones? Umm....

Widget
    Hi everybody,

Longtime fan/first time poster here. A couple of you might have heard of a podcast I cohost, She-Ra: Progressive of Power, which I know automatically puts me on shaky ground in some folks' eyes but hey, that's okay! I wanted to jump in to try to add a little to this discussion, which I've enjoyed lurking on for the past few weeks.

In particular I want to address an idea I've seen raised a handful of times that "She-Ra better not add some agenda to it." I feel like this is kind of misreading the original cartoon? Like, if you watch the features on the BCI DVDs, you'll see that, at least for many of the creators, She-Ra was an explicitly feminist show -- at a time when that idea wasn't spoken about as openly. It certainly had its shortcomings as far as messaging went, and I'm sure not every creator was on the feminism train, but you can't really deny that some kind of social progressiveness was intentionally baked into the core of the series. It's just that kids aren't super attuned to media critique so we don't notice those things, and also it just wasn't as easy to crowdsource and discuss ideas like this in media we loved without the internet. (I was thinking the other day about how crazily lefty Captain Planet was, and I never thought about it as a kid, but I'm starting to realize why my parents didn't want me to watch it...)

My suspicion is that, if the original cartoon were released verbatim today, its existence would be seen as political even with zero changes (this seems to happen a lot with media starring women; how about that Ant-Man and the Wasp poster thing?).

But anyway, to me (and I think to others), this reboot will do the most honor (lol) to its roots by pushing harder on certain social issues the original either didn't think to, didn't want to, or couldn't address in its day. Certainly society has progressed since 1987 and I'm excited to see a She-Ra that's internalized that progression, and some of the strife that comes with it too.

If that's now how you feel, there's always room for respectful disagreement, of course, but that's totally where I'm coming from.

That said, I will admit the designs aren't really to my personal taste (except Catra, who seems to be the most embraced). But I'm really excited for the story possibilities and everything I've read about that so far sounds good to me. I guess we'll see in November!

NOW AWAY FROM THE SOCIAL STUFF FOR A SECOND...

Lots of questions in this thread about what Horde characters will appear outside the ones already listed. I can say that Tim Seeley did our podcast a few months ago and we talked to him about being hired by Dreamworks to write the brand bible for the show. He stated that at first he was told the only Masters of the Universe characters he could use in the bible were He-Man and Hordak, but that then later Dreamworks said he could add in the rest of the Horde. I took "Masters of the Universe characters" to mean any character that was produced as an MOTU toy, though I don't know for sure that's what Tim meant. However, looking at who we know's around so far, cast lists seem to bear out the initial scenario since the only MOTU figure we have for sure is Hordak. But it seems like Leech, Mantenna, and Grizzlor aren't totally off the table. I imagine there'll be some kind of generic Horde Trooper as well, but maybe it won't look like what we know. Could Dragstor be far behind...???

Finally, want to add some huge thanks to Tallstar for doing an incredible job keeping us all posted on this. Such great info here.

Okay sorry that was so much text! I'll try to keep it more brief from now on.
    My podcast (note: very political, very bad jokes): http://www.nerdologues.com/podcasts/...gressive-power

longlistofcharacters.jpg

@PinkieToons: BTW! I just read your updated bio! I do character design too!!! Can you share who you designed/contributed to?? (don't worry if you cant I really can't talk about my work yet either)
    @gullshriek: Nobody who's been released yet! A very long list of characters who haven't been released yet. I think they might want me to say quiet about it, but I'll definitely be talking about it when they come out"

https://twitter.com/gullshriek/statu...95429881061378

Quote Originally Posted by EricButRebooted View Post

Finally, want to add some huge thanks to Tallstar for doing an incredible job keeping us all posted on this. Such great info here.
    <3

Welcome to the forums!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I think one big difference might be between this and the original show is that this will show might likely be more directed towards girls than the original which I felt was a more unisex show. Yes, the original show's ultimate goal was to sell POP merchandise which was very much meant for girls, but its secondary goal was to sell boys MOTU toys. With no new episodes of He-Man being made, you had Hordak and the main Horde in almost every episode as the main villains. Also, guest appearances from He-Man, Skeletor, Beastman, Orko, and other MOTU characters in a third of episodes. It was used to show off new MOTU toys such as Rokkon, Stondar, Comet Cat, Snout Spout, Rattlor, Dinosorbs, and others. A huge majority of the episodes in the original were also written by males where as all or almost all of these new show's episodes will be written by females I believe.

Grammer Flunky
    the original show had a supporting cast of characters that hardly did anything...and where basically glorified barbies.
    very hard for boys to get into, and one reason why I never checked it out until much later in adult hood.

if characters named 'mermista' and 'perfuma' where not targeted toward girls, i don't know what would be ;o)

It also doesn't really matter who writes this show. the original series WAS majorly girly.

I don't know about any other guys, but I was as invested in She-Ra as I was He-Man. The shows were identical to me as a kid. I didn't see it as a "girls" show, because it really wasn't "girly" in the way that shows like My Little Pony, Jem, or Strawberry Shortcake was.

She-Ra mirrored He-Man in almost every way, except she had more powers (telepathy, polymorphic sword, animal communication)

Bow = Teela (red haired love interest)
    Glimmer = Man At Arms (right hand person)
    Madame Razz = Orko magical character
    Swift Wind = Battle Cat/Steed
    Hordak = Skeletor main villain
    Shadow Weaver = Evil Lyn/Witch
    Leech = Merman slimy creature
    Mantenna = Tri Klops (eye related powers)
    Grizzlor = Beastman mangy henchman
    Light Hope = Sorceress spiritual wizard sorcery guide
    Crystal Castle = Grayskull sister castle with magical secrets

^So you see, it wasn't some "Barbie" show to many guys. I even had the dolls (granted I shaved all the hair off and made clay hair), but I considered them on par with my He-Man stuff. So I laugh when people try to shame "grown men" or branding us "incels" or "whiny adult men" for having feelings about the property. 32 - 50 year old males were the main audience for the Masters properties...that is who has been keeping them alive for over 30 years. The reason there is even any press or interest in She-Ra. This project would be a non-starter if the property wasn't still being kept alive by Gen X

My brother and I both watched She-Ra and He-Man. I didn't think He-Man was for boys and I am sure he didn't think She-Ra was for girls. It was an extension of the universe for both of us. I have been re-watching the series with my kids and I have not seen anything yet that is over the top in terms of social themes or political ideas. Maybe I am not paying enough attention or I haven't gotten that far. Women can be strong without having to have it beaten over your head or without tearing men down. It seems like third wave feminism hasn't figured that out yet or doesn't care.

I think a lot of people are getting the design mixed up with the style of art. The actual design, as far as I'm aware, doesn't really seem to be a problem with most poeple, as evidenced by the fact that a lot of people here seem to like other people's interpretations of this design. It’s the style that a lot have a problem with. We've only really seen that one still of She-Ra herself. The other two are of Adora and, to me at least, Adora, umm, looks very feminine indeed. Also, seeing it in motion will also be a big test. I think a trailer may well bring some sort of closure to this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I don't know about any other guys, but I was as invested in She-Ra as I was He-Man. The shows were identical to me as a kid. I didn't see it as a "girls" show, because it really wasn't "girly" in the way that shows like My Little Pony, Jem, or Strawberry Shortcake was.

She-Ra mirrored He-Man in almost every way, except she had more powers (telepathy, polymorphic sword, animal communication)

Bow = Teela (red haired love interest)
    Glimmer = Man At Arms (right hand person)
    Madame Razz = Orko magical character
    Swift Wind = Battle Cat/Steed
    Hordak = Skeletor main villain
    Shadow Weaver = Evil Lyn/Witch
    Leech = Merman slimy creature
    Mantenna = Tri Klops (eye related powers)
    Grizzlor = Beastman mangy henchman
    Light Hope = Sorceress spiritual wizard sorcery guide
    Crystal Castle = Grayskull sister castle with magical secrets

^So you see, it wasn't some "Barbie" show to many guys. I even had the dolls (granted I shaved all the hair off and made clay hair), but I considered them on par with my He-Man stuff. So I laugh when people try to shame "grown men" or branding us "incels" or "whiny adult men" for having feelings about the property. 32 - 50 year old males were the main audience for the Masters properties...that is who has been keeping them alive for over 30 years. The reason there is even any press or interest in She-Ra. This project would be a non-starter if the property wasn't still being kept alive by Gen X
    I think the real problem is that most of the heroic warriors and members of the great rebellion (the likes of Stratos, Frosta ect), were treated like a bunch irrelevant jobbers, even the comedy sidekicks got more play than them.