Thread: "The Power of Grayskull," the third e-book in my MOTU trilogy is available now.

"The Power of Grayskull," the third e-book in my MOTU trilogy is available now.

Hey, everyone!

I just wanted to let you all know that the third story in my MOTU "Bloodline Trilogy" is now available for FREE download.

It is the follow up to 2013's "The Keldor Chronicles" and 2014's "Legacies."

Please feel free to check it out

Here's a quick summary:

18360848_1201261293330367_1483756793_n.jpg

"The Bloodline Trilogy" concludes in "The Power of Grayskull." The reappearance of the fabled Three Towers heralds the end of an age! Adam and Adora must join forces to save the future of their universe, but can only do so by traveling to its distant past. While on a secret mission for the goddess Zoar that even they do not fully understand, the twins meet their ancestor D'Vann Grayskull face-to-face, but how different is the man himself from the future King of Eternia spoken of in myth and legend? Meanwhile, back in the twins' present, their home planet is invaded by the Horde army as Hordak prepares for his ultimate victory. With Adam and Adora missing, will Keldor and the Masters be able to survive the onslaught long enough for their heroes to return? "The Power of Grayskull" brings the trilogy to a close in dramatic fashion with the most action--and the highest stakes--of the entire series.

(443 pages, PG-13)

Cover art: Mattias Fahlberg

Story: Matthew C. Kayser

www.motubt.weebly.com
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; June 17, 2017 at 08:31am. Reason: Additional info.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

Cool, will be checking these out! Thanks!
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Court Magician
    Just downloaded Book 1 and am excited! Excellent art, web design, testimonials, and transparency!

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Cool, will be checking these out! Thanks!
    Thank YOU for being interested in them. I appreciate it.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    Just downloaded Book 1 and am excited! Excellent art, web design, testimonials, and transparency!
    Thanks!

FWIW, I've updated the formatting of "The Keldor Chronicles" to match the other two books and (primarily) to make it a little easier on the eyes. I'd recommend a re-download if you're reading on a small screen.

It's something I've been meaning to do for years, but just never got around to it.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Yay, Matt! SO excited! The girls and I have been waiting for this one! (And it's a LONG one this time!)
    (You might remember that Keldor Chronicles was the very first non-picture book I read through to my girls at bedtime [and to this day some of your canon is the way they see things!], and we then did Legacies and they loved it as well!)
    I'm very much looking forward to diving in to this one with them (if I can manage to sneak-print that many pages at work!)
    I know I've asked before, but just HAVE to again... is there ANY way you might be able to get (all 3 now) bound as actual paperback books, and "sell" them for donations or however else you may have to do it? I would LOVE to happily pay you for all three of them!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Yay, Matt! SO excited! The girls and I have been waiting for this one! (And it's a LONG one this time!)
    (You might remember that Keldor Chronicles was the very first non-picture book I read through to my girls at bedtime [and to this day some of your canon is the way they see things!], and we then did Legacies and they loved it as well!)
    I'm very much looking forward to diving in to this one with them (if I can manage to sneak-print that many pages at work!)
    I know I've asked before, but just HAVE to again... is there ANY way you might be able to get (all 3 now) bound as actual paperback books, and "sell" them for donations or however else you may have to do it? I would LOVE to happily pay you for all three of them!
    I remember!

I hope you all enjoy the new one.

As far as print books, I talk about that on the "Intent" page of the site, but the short answer is still "no."

The slightly-longer answer is that I think if I did anything of the sort, Mattel would come down on me like a ton of bricks.

For now, it's just what it is. If Mattel, or anyone else involved in the property, wants to make it happen, I'm not hard to find

Trust me, I'd love to see it happen, too.

Thanks for coming back for more!
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

Court Magician
    I am around 65% through with Book 1 and will be reading 2 and 3 after.
    I like your book so far.

+ Characterizations
    + Weaving the continuity and backstory of the major players and events
    + No X-rated stuff
    + Character descriptions
    + No cheese
    + You have found your own voice and vision- you are not aping previous MOTU comics or cartoons
    + Entertainment
    + Being upfront that you cannot accept money and Mattel is not involved

- There are some fanfiction tropes which fanfiction readers love, so I guess you gave your demographics what they wanted (lots of backstory, origins, and world history), but as I only have read one other fanfic novel* before this, I see it as jarring. There are a lot of flashbacks/past-present-future time jumps and rewinds, it feels gimmicky to have Randor read the journal to get into the history instead of experiencing it 'live", and the world-building history via exposition goes against the "show, don't tell" writing wisdom. It is also odd for a first book to have Keldor as the anti-hero instead of He-Man (who am I supposed to be rooting for?) Again, all that said I really am enjoying the first book!

Interesting takes:

+New/modified reasons explaining the two Power Swords, Evil Lynn's relationship with Sorceress, and a ying yang angle to good and evil.
    ? Kinda shocking that we get into King He-Man + Queen Teela so quickly (not sure how I feel).
    +A lot of your backstory feels like it is canon from DC or MOTUC bios but it is actually original.

I highly recommend people to give your trilogy a try if they already have not!

Not sure why Mattel never got into licensing novels for MOTU. I wonder what would happen if you applied for a license to publish.

The other MOTU fanfic I read got pulled down from Amazon. Not only was the author charging for it but he had sex and out of character presentations (Adam being selfish, Duncan hating He-Man for lusting after Teela, the Masters having zero respect for Adam, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Yin Chan Vo View Post
    I am around 65% through with Book 1 and will be reading 2 and 3 after.
    I like your book so far.

+ Characterizations
    + Weaving the continuity and backstory of the major players and events
    + No X-rated stuff
    + Character descriptions
    + No cheese
    + You have found your own voice and vision- you are not aping previous MOTU comics or cartoons
    + Entertainment
    + Being upfront that you cannot accept money and Mattel is not involved

- There are some fanfiction tropes which fanfiction readers love, so I guess you gave your demographics what they wanted (lots of backstory, origins, and world history), but as I only have read one other fanfic novel* before this, I see it as jarring. There are a lot of flashbacks/past-present-future time jumps and rewinds, it feels gimmicky to have Randor read the journal to get into the history instead of experiencing it 'live", and the world-building history via exposition goes against the "show, don't tell" writing wisdom. It is also odd for a first book to have Keldor as the anti-hero instead of He-Man (who am I supposed to be rooting for?) Again, all that said I really am enjoying the first book!

Interesting takes:

+New/modified reasons explaining the two Power Swords, Evil Lynn's relationship with Sorceress, and a ying yang angle to good and evil.
    ? Kinda shocking that we get into King He-Man + Queen Teela so quickly (not sure how I feel).
    +A lot of your backstory feels like it is canon from DC or MOTUC bios but it is actually original.

I highly recommend people to give your trilogy a try if they already have not!

Not sure why Mattel never got into licensing novels for MOTU. I wonder what would happen if you applied for a license to publish.

The other MOTU fanfic I read got pulled down from Amazon. Not only was the author charging for it but he had sex and out of character presentations (Adam being selfish, Duncan hating He-Man for lusting after Teela, the Masters having zero respect for Adam, etc.)
    Thanks and I'm glad that you're enjoying it so far. I explain the first book's origins a bit more in the afterword, but it is a little disjointed because it was originally five separate short stories that were somewhat linear, but otherwise not really connected. I made the decision to weave them together into one story MUCH later, and that's why it has a lot of flashbacks, etc. IMO, that's the story's main shortcoming, but some people really like that about it, so what do I know? lol

Keldor is definitely the main character of the first story. That was always the intention with that one, however it largely shifts to Adam/Adora with the other two.

The King Adam stuff was because originally it was just going to be one story, and it was kind of intended to like Marvel's "The End" stories... but then it snowballed, for reasons I think I explain in the next afterword. It was never intended to be a trilogy. It just kind of happened (though I think it works well as one, now that all is said and done).

IMO, the first one is a bit of a mixed bag (just being honest here). I still love the story and the original touches and spins that I put on it, but the presentation (flashbacks, the journal trope etc.) are kind of a necessary evil with that one because of the way it was originally constructed. I think the best part of the first book is the latter third, as much of it was written after the decision to make it one story, so it flows better. Anyway, I do think they improve as they go on (I would hope so) and I can tell you that the second two stories are much more linear, so I think they'll be more to your taste. They are more to mine

I mean, I still like the first story, don't get me wrong, but as the guy who wrote them, I think the second two are much better.

And thanks for your observations regarding characterization. Other than a conscious choice made here and there, I was very much concerned with presenting the characters properly. It was very important to me that they not do anything they wouldn't "really" do.

I always looked at the "rating" as kind of a "Lord of the Rings" level PG-13. Some occasional death and dismemberment, but nothing too graphic, and nothing too "adult" themed that it can't be enjoyed by younger fans.

Licensing is something I've put a small amount of thought into, but not really. Can't afford it, and I don't mind giving them away, really. The main thing for me was to grow as a writer and learn. I did. So, I'm good. I got what I needed ;-)

I found your observations interesting and I've enjoyed replying. Thanks for posting. I hope you enjoy the other two as well. Judging from your post, I think you will.
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; Today at 05:25am.
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories: