Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zodiac Signs ala POP/MOTU/NA etc by Niki

Totally Dyslexic

Zodiac Signs ala POP/MOTU/NA etc by Niki

Hey,

i wanted to do something different and i donīt know why but i decided on those beautiful vintage style zodiac signs where every sign is represented with a different person.

POP/MOTU has so many creative characters it was easy to choose from most of the time but than i challenged myself to think a little bit out of the box and i wanted to include as many different areas from all the medias.

Iīm starting with

Pisces

Since Pisces is plural i had to include another fish and so i decided on baby Seaharp. She is also one of my favorite POP beasts.

Mermista represents POP of course in her FILMATION look with that rather weird fish tail which is so unusual and simply unique looking.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:43pm.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Wahhhoouuuu great idea! I love it! Awesome drawing by the way. I also like the inclusion of baby SeaHarp!
    10 Most needed items for MOTUC...

Heroic: King Miro / Prince Dakon
    Evil: Skeleteen
    POP: King Micah / Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Hunga the Harpy
    POG: Oracle
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Sebrian / Sagitar

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Wahhhoouuuu great idea! I love it! Awesome drawing by the way. I also like the inclusion of baby SeaHarp!
    Thank you. Itīs a fun project and iīm right in the middle of it.

I almost finished the next one which is Aries of course. I had a lot of fun recreating him.

Mermista is always one of my favorites to draw so i had to use her for Pisces there was no doubt about that. Baby Seaharb is just so adorable and Seaharb is very under represented anyway.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Totally Dyslexic

Aries by Niki

Like Mermista before him i knew whom i wanted for Aries the second i was brainstorming what character will be representing which zodiac sign.

I wasnīt sure what version i wanted to use and than it hit me, i want the version that actually has horns:

ARIES

I decided to use his standard blue skin to make it more MOTU like in general but the rest is very much the movie god version. I even gave him the fangs movie Skeletor had.

I always like the gold armor variants
    Hurricane Hordak is my favorite as well since it is such a decadent choice to use gold for armor if you ask me.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:44pm.

Totally Dyslexic

Taurus by Niki

Taurus has been a little more tricky for me. I knew there is someone with bulls horns as a helmet but at first i couldīt remember whom it was...

Well i eventually found what i was looking for:

TAURUS

At first i had him walking towards the beholder like his original drawing but than i realized:
    Poor, guy is stuck in that movement forever anyway.
    Vikor as a character needs some new material and so i came up with that "preparing for a fight" pose.

His color palette is very much MOTUC but i decided to give him more brown/auburn colored hair than pitch black to differentiate him more from Conan.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:44pm.

Great art. What is your medium? Digital or paper?
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Very nice idea Niki! Keep up the great work!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Great art. What is your medium? Digital or paper?
    Thank you. Itīs a fun project for me and i hope that shows

Iīm drawing the characters on paper with a pencil but than i scan them and digital ink and color them.

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Very nice idea Niki! Keep up the great work!
    Thank you very much.

Well, i started and now i have to make all twelve of them anyway.

Which brings me to my next...well in this case couple and who are the most famous twins in the universe?????

GEMINI

I kept them as FILMATION as possible. I changed a little bit but not much. I wanted to use Adora and Adam of course but i really wanted to draw them as iconic as possible and who doesīt love the moment right before the transformation starts

I wanted to give them a connection and i think i managed to do so.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post

GEMINI

http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/niki/im...iAdoraAdam.jpg

I kept them as FILMATION as possible. I changed a little bit but not much. I wanted to use Adora and Adam of course but i really wanted to draw them as iconic as possible and who doesīt love the moment right before the transformation starts

I wanted to give them a connection and i think i managed to do so.
    You really managed to show the connection between the two. A very good idea to display them just before transforming.

Totally Dyslexic
    You really managed to show the connection between the two. A very good idea to display them just before transforming.
    I really wanted to show them as Adora and Adam and not the alter egos. I donīt know why but i think they are more real. She-Ra and He-Man are great but i always loved the stories when we see them not transformed.

But as a child the transformation scenes were always amazing to watch of course.

Next up is :
    Cancer

Who else than Clawful.

At first i thought iīd go with his FILMATION look but than i realized thatīs not his most iconic look and i decided on his vintage MOTU figure look minus those weird eyebrows.
    I simply ignore them.

The rest is very much vintage and i thought maybe i choose the MOTUC figure with itīs 200X influences but no Vintage is simply the best for him if you ask me.

Great idea, very fun!
    I like the armor you chose for Skeletor

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollphane View Post
    Great idea, very fun!
    I like the armor you chose for Skeletor
    Thank you, it is something different for me and i like to be challenged a little.

Yes, the golden god armor is the best thing from the movie if you ask me and i wanted to include almost any media representation for tho this project.

Next up:
    LEO

I had to include 200X and Chief Carnivus is just perfect for the leo spot.

Since he has only the MYP cartoon look and that was translated very closely for his action figure i only had those quite similar looks to choose from.
    I kept it very much cartoon like except for his...well... loincloth piece. At the cartoon he is wearing a golden metal trunk/speedo thing...?
    I mean iīm european so i donīt mind speedos at all but for a leader as his armor...i donīt know. So i went with his action figure standard loincloth but i recolored it purple to match his outfit.

Oh and trivia fact: I always try to find poses for the characters which feel as natural as possible and this time i chose my own arms folded like that, that was fun

Awesome Chief Carnivus drawing! Nice to see more MOTU Zodiac signs!!!

Totally Dyslexic
    Awesome Chief Carnivus drawing! Nice to see more MOTU Zodiac signs!!!
    I never drew him before and he was fun. His armor was quite difficult with his weird shaped shin and shoulder pads

They are fun to do and Iīm on a roll right now and so here is the next one:

VIRGO

I like the character and even discussed her heritage with Mr. Olesker and how her powers could evolve.

Her look here is identical with how she looked like in the cartoon. Which is pretty much screaming sheep keeper barbie doll if you ask me but her looks and her age makes her the perfect candidate for this zodiac sign.

I designed a complete redesign for her some time ago which had her in more of a body armor but for this series i decided iīll go with very well known outfits. Maybe iīll do a variant version later on
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:46pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    To keep some balance:

LIBRA

Zodac is the perfect match for representing libra. He is suppose ti be neutral but if the balance is tipping like every scale it can change fast and dramatic

Zodac has never been used in any mini comics his first appearance had been in the DC comics which also featured his flying chair. So i decided i draw him a little bit like the early comic. A little stockier and the belt more square and bigger.
    And of course good old Kirby energy patterns
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:46pm.

Totally Dyslexic
    Time for a little sting:

SCORPIO

Who else?

My MOTUC Scorpia figure is positioned almost exactly like i have drawn her here and i simply love that pose so iīm reusing it.

At first i wanted to give her a more aggressive pose but the wider the stand the less her legs were seen on that picture frame so i had to rethink my idea and go back to the pose i simply like best for her. Voila!
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:47pm.

Nice job Nikki, it's nice to see you drawing different characters and Zodac, Scorpia, and Drissi (aka sheep keeper Barbie lol) all came out great!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Nice job Nikki, it's nice to see you drawing different characters and Zodac, Scorpia, and Drissi (aka sheep keeper Barbie lol) all came out great!
    Thank you and iīm sorry it took me so long to reply but i had no time for anything...

Yes, iīm the person who decided on the characters and iīm trying to challenge myself.

And here is the next one whom i never have drawn before in my life:

SAGITTARIUS

The Snakemen needed representation and Tung Lashor with his dragonfly and the tongue absolutely fits the profile.

I very much went the MOTU Classics design route with him. Which is the best representation if you ask me. I really love the colors and he has a lot of them
    The only think i really re-colored had been the arrow for his cross bow to make it more visible and i gave his loincloth a more ragged look.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:47pm.

Nice to see you back at your Zodiac Signs Niki. I didn't expect Tung Lashor at all (thought you'd do Sagitar instead), but it's great drawing and Tung Lashor just looks menacing as hell!

@Niki,, great work, you should be proud, hoping the complete line up.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Totally Dyslexic
    Nice to see you back at your Zodiac Signs Niki. I didn't expect Tung Lashor at all (thought you'd do Sagitar instead), but it's great drawing and Tung Lashor just looks menacing as hell!
    Thank you and yes, itīs way overdue that i finish the series.

Since i chose a high but slender format for these pictures it never occurred to me to use Sagitar as he wouldīt fit into the frame. I wanted to choose Bow but i already had Mermista and Adora and i needed a Snakeman to have all the fraction represented.

Tung Lashor is one of my favorite Snakeman but i have to say i like the fraction as a whole very much.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    @Niki,, great work, you should be proud, hoping the complete line up.

Thank you, i really enjoy working on that series and i already have outlined the last two characters, working on the details but i hope in the next two weeks i can finish up the series
    Iīm glad you like it as much as i do.

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    Thank you and yes, itīs way overdue that i finish the series.

Since i chose a high but slender format for these pictures it never occurred to me to use Sagitar as he wouldīt fit into the frame. I wanted to choose Bow but i already had Mermista and Adora and i needed a Snakeman to have all the fraction represented.

Tung Lashor is one of my favorite Snakeman but i have to say i like the fraction as a whole very much.

Thank you, i really enjoy working on that series and i already have outlined the last two characters, working on the details but i hope in the next two weeks i can finish up the series
    Iīm glad you like it as much as i do.
    There are for sure lot of people enjoying this project of yours. Take your time, art like this need enough time, we are just here waiting.

By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    There are for sure lot of people enjoying this project of yours. Take your time, art like this need enough time, we are just here waiting.
    Thank you, i can be impatient myself sometimes, thatīs why i want to finish it for myself as well. But donīt worry iīm not rushing, i want them all to look equally good.

And here is the second to last entry:

CAPRICORN

Ibexī are known to be headstrong and use their horns for battles. When two male Ibex fight each other the run towards each other and when their horns hit the noise can be heard for miles up in the mountains. They are really strong. So there was no doubt whom i have to chose for that zodiac sign.

I took my favorite representation for him which is his early mini comics version. Where he was shown as a young headstrong warrior who was even taller than He-Man and as equally handsome. That color scheme just works for me and i always admired the way his armor was drawn and colored. The early mini comics had amazing artists.
    Last edited by Niki; July 30, 2018 at 03:48pm.

Oh my goodness, I just love them! Gemini is my favorite. Of course Scorpio would have to be Scorpia - LOL!

Totally Dyslexic
    Quote Originally Posted by IceyCat View Post
    Oh my goodness, I just love them! Gemini is my favorite. Of course Scorpio would have to be Scorpia - LOL!
    Thank you and i have to say drawing the twins in this iconic poses was fun but tricky. Adora is not shown all the way so i had to match her stand with Adams and to be honest i gave her even higher heels just because

And yes, Scorpia was the only choice for that zodiac sign. As was Drissi for Virgo, the twins for Gemini or Clawful for Cancer. While others were a bit more difficult but in the end fitting representations if you ask me.
    Last edited by Niki; June 12, 2018 at 01:29pm.