Thread: Batman TAS 25 anniversary

Heroic Warrior

Batman TAS 25 anniversary

Hard to believe this masterpiece of an animated show is 25! i remembered when i was 10 26 years ago when Batman Returns and Batman TAS were announced in comicscene and Starlog magazine coming 1992, i couldn't wait and dreamed of a sequel and an animated show since i was 8 in 89 when i saw the Batman movie in theaters.

I was 11 when the show first aired and taped every episode even on sunday night prime time episodes! it became a blockbuster afternoon show and enjoyed by all ages even my big brother. It was my fave animated show since then! how old were you when you first saw it and your first impressions?
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    It's still one of my favorite shows of all time. I also used to tape every episode. I was 19 when it first aired (yeah, I'm old), and was already a Batman fan prior to that, so I was really excited for the show to premiere when I first read about it in a magazine. It might have been Starlog, actually. When the first episode aired, it blew my mind and exceeded all of my expectations. I remember it was the "Cat & the Claw" Part 1, followed the next day by "On Leather Wings." To me, the show was the perfect distillation of the best elements of Batman. I truly loved the feel of BTAS. Not every episode was "Heart of Ice" or "Two-Face," but the performances, writing, character designs, characterization, retro noir feel, and music were consistently spot-on. The dark deco feel and animation done on black paper made the show feel moody and cool. I love that its style was inspired by the awesome Fleischer Superman cartoons. I miss BTAS/TNBA a lot and wish it had never ended.

I own all of the episodes on DVD (both BTAS and its sequel series TNBA), and also Superman: TAS, which I really enjoyed too.

Happy anniversary BTAS!
    Last edited by Penny Dreadful; September 12, 2017 at 07:58pm.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England

OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

I often tell Civilians that, if they are interested, BTAS is a far better version of BATMAN than any live action BATMAN movie that's ever been made.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    What's everyone's favorite episodes?

My top 25 favorite episodes.
    My favorite episodes top 25:
    1. Almost Got Im.
    2. Feat of Clay.
    3. Two-Face.
    4. Heart of Ice.
    5. Bane.
    6. Joker's Favor.
    7. Make Em Laugh.
    8. Old Wounds.
    9. On Leather Wings.
    10. Blind as a Bat.
    11. Beware of Grey Ghost.
    12. Perchance to Dream.
    13. Trial.
    14. Heart of Steel.
    15. His Silicon Soul.
    16. Legends of the Dark Knight.
    17. Mad Love.
    18. Batgirl Returns.
    19. Catwalk.
    20. If your so Smart why aren't you Rich.
    21. Over The Edge.
    22. Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne.
    23. Tyger Tyger.
    24. Growing Pains.
    25. Joker's Millions.

Wow, has it been that long? I remember Christmas 94 I believe when the only thing on my list was anything from BTAS. I got the Batmobile that year and still have it to this day. It is and will always be my go to for anyone interested in Batman. I usually start watching it again right after thanksgiving to get me in the Christmas mood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm very thankful to this day that, growing up a big Marvel comic fan, BTAS was my first real introduction into the character. Before then I knew of him only from Superfriends and my favorite Scooby-Doo/Batman crossovers.

I'd seen the Batman and Batman Returns movies but they were very "artsy" for my taste.

BTAS was perfect. I especially liked seeing how Bruce trained in many different disciplines growing up to become the Batman. The show was mostly positive without being overly silly or kiddie. The darker episodes were even better.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm very thankful to this day that, growing up a big Marvel comic fan, BTAS was my first real introduction into the character. Before then I knew of him only from Superfriends and my favorite Scooby-Doo/Batman crossovers.

I'd seen the Batman and Batman Returns movies but they were very "artsy" for my taste.

BTAS was perfect. I especially liked seeing how Bruce trained in many different disciplines growing up to become the Batman. The show was mostly positive without being overly silly or kiddie. The darker episodes were even better.
    Indeed! a brilliant show and spawned things like Gargoyles to Spawn TAS with it's success.

And what are your fave episodes?

Happy 25th anniversary to my favorite comic book animated series ever
    (sorry spider man tas lmao)

I'm more attached to the first 3 seasons because for me TNBA changed too much drastically in style and tone and I only save few episodes from that era such as "Old wounds", "Mad love", "Over the edge" to name a few.
    I have so many classics favorites from season 1-3 instead, I can better name the few ones are still meh to me, I'm thinkin' bout of "The Terrible Trio", "I've got Batman in my basement", "Tyger, Tyger" and others I dont recall exactly.

I absoultely need more DC batman animated figures, I have purchased almost everything now cant wait to see TAS Scarecrow, TAS Two Face and TAS Jonah Hex & much more. Even if I really hope the GCPD 5-pack released weeks ago its not bad sign for the line.
    Last edited by Triklops 1; September 13, 2017 at 05:23pm.
    "The most powerful man in the universe..."
    "Where hope seems lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    What's everyone's favorite episodes?
    I don't remember the names nearly as well as you do, but ANY episode with RIDDLER was great. I loved how RIDDLER wasn't zany and manic. He was just a brilliant, arrogant man who always knew he was the smartest person in the room.

I remember that I loved 'Almost Got 'Im'. 'Robin's Reckoning' was cool, and I loved the one with the Ninja. I think I liked any episode with the Scarecrow, too.
    Odd Man Out

The animation was good, the writers had more free reign, and the music was done with a full orchestra. It showed what a lot of 80s cartoons could have been like with more money, no network interference over violence, and no restrictions of being toy commercials. Someone with a synthesizer just doesn't hold up to Shirley Walker's orchestrated score. I really wish I could find isolated music for "A Bullet For Bullock" but it's not on Youtube and may not have been on the soundtrack CDs.

The irony was that, at one point, WB tried this "Be The Man: Batman" ad campaign encouraging kids to buy toys and merchandise while the show openly had Batman lament that he'd become a marketable icon for Gotham toy stores. It's like the staff were sending WB a subtle middle finger over it.

TNBA was an okay follow-up but the animation really took a hit from WB budget cuts. At least they admitted they'd messed up and follow-up shows got better budgets again. But JLU and such had moments I didn't care for, I still consider "Terry is Bruce's son because of science add plots" to be the dumbest idea they DCAU ever had, it was a totally pointless bit of plot to explain a hair color because no one on staff understands recessive genes or something, let alone added nothing at all to the actual character.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    The animation was good, the writers had more free reign, and the music was done with a full orchestra. It showed what a lot of 80s cartoons could have been like with more money, no network interference over violence, and no restrictions of being toy commercials. Someone with a synthesizer just doesn't hold up to Shirley Walker's orchestrated score. I really wish I could find isolated music for "A Bullet For Bullock" but it's not on Youtube and may not have been on the soundtrack CDs.

The irony was that, at one point, WB tried this "Be The Man: Batman" ad campaign encouraging kids to buy toys and merchandise while the show openly had Batman lament that he'd become a marketable icon for Gotham toy stores. It's like the staff were sending WB a subtle middle finger over it.

TNBA was an okay follow-up but the animation really took a hit from WB budget cuts. At least they admitted they'd messed up and follow-up shows got better budgets again. But JLU and such had moments I didn't care for, I still consider "Terry is Bruce's son because of science add plots" to be the dumbest idea they DCAU ever had, it was a totally pointless bit of plot to explain a hair color because no one on staff understands recessive genes or something, let alone added nothing at all to the actual character.
    Well the late 80s did had some writer or creator driven shows like Dinosaucers (gained a cult following for it's humor and all that), Ducktales, Ghostbusters, Mighty Mouse the All New Adventures, Chip N Dale Rescue Rangers, Gummi Bears etc. and the 90s became a golden age when it started with Tiny Toon Adventures.

I was at San Diego Comic-Con that summer and was sitting next to Peter David in the front row of the premiere of "On Leather Wings".

I can still remember how dead quiet and locked in the entire crowd was during the entire episode and then a huge roar when it ended.

When it ended Peter looked at me and said "cartoons will never be the same again."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    I was at San Diego Comic-Con that summer and was sitting next to Peter David in the front row of the premiere of "On Leather Wings".

I can still remember how dead quiet and locked in the entire crowd was during the entire episode and then a huge roar when it ended.

When it ended Peter looked at me and said "cartoons will never be the same again."
    Must had been one hell of an experience

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post

But Justice League was great