Thread: Guide on Swapping Parts on New Super7 figures (Power Con Exclusives)

Guide on Swapping Parts on New Super7 figures (Power Con Exclusives)

Hey all!

I had the fortune to be able to attend Power Con this year, and get a set of the exclusives!
    This is the first batch of Super7 produced figures with a new factory, and I'll be honest, there are differences. This isn't a negative post on the new figures, there are pros and cons to them, I'll just be addressing the swapping parts in this thread. The heads, weapons for Trap-Jaw and Terroar, etc.

One of the most notable differences is the hardness of the PVC plastics used on the heads, arms, legs and such. It's much, MUCH harder, and less yielding than the previous MotU Classics we've been collecting over the last "near decade". This can and will cause problems if you're trying to swap heads and weapons and such.

This is being addressed by Super7. They have sent samples of the upcoming figures to Fourhorsemen studios, in an effort to bring them back to what we remember collecting with Classics.

So again, this is not a doom and gloom post, it's more of a... This is how to take care of your figures post, so that you can fully enjoy the features on these Power Con exclusives.

Focusing even more so on Terroar... You wanna add that neck piece to make him taller? You're going to want to heat up his head really well with a hair dryer. Boiling water also works? But me personally, I prefer the hair dryer method here...

Terroar!

(note this method works for heating up the hands, so you can put their weapons in hand without too much trouble)

1. Heat up the head for at least 30-40 seconds, you'll feel it getting softer, more pliable.
    2. Pop it off carefully.

3. heat up the "holes" that the pegs will go into... Don't fuss about heating up the ball pegs too much. Again do this for at least 30-40 seconds, even up to a minute if needed. The parts should pop into each other easily. Be careful not to burn your own fingers!!! (I had to watch it while heating the head... You can use tongs or something to hold the head if you'd rather do that.)

4. Simply pop them together as you would've with the older Classics figures.

You'll notice I did the same with his weapon switching feature on his robotic arm.

This is just a safer way to swap the parts around, without stressing out the plastic too much.
    Just take a look at that ball peg on his neck, if you just try to pull it off with brute force on cool or room temperature plastic, you absolutely risk breaking those joints because the hardness on this new plastic is just too hard.

Enjoy your figures! Play with them! And swap them out responsibly!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw
    Nate Baertsch Illustration Blog

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Thanks for the advice and nice thread Baena
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> Heroic warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil Warriors 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> Evil horde 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Thank you Baena. I wonder if we could get this thread "stickyed" into the forum??
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Thanks, I was wondering this myself (while I wait for mine to arrive, I'm a non-attendee orderer). Is this similar for MC Prince Adam's head and boots?

Guess I'll be using the water method though, as a single guy, who's been bald for a number of years, I don't own a hairdryer!
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nianotreve View Post
    Guess I'll be using the water method though, as a single guy, who's been bald for a number of years, I don't own a hairdryer!
    You really should get a hair dryer. It works way better than the hot water method. And just think of all the fun conversations it will spark when people ask you why you have a hair dryer.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

So we need a thread to tell people how to use their figures. Has Super7 commented on this at all?

Thanks, I was wondering this myself (while I wait for mine to arrive, I'm a non-attendee orderer). Is this similar for MC Prince Adam's head and boots?

Yep, same would apply on Adam.

Really, I keep a hair dryer in my studio specifically for figures, and for paints, but I use it largely on the figures. It's a handy tool to have, and I feel it works better overall than the boiling method. You can boil, but it's just longer, messier, can be more painful, etc.

And it's not just these figures. Seriously, I use the hairdryer trick on almost all figures, especially as most are built with a PVC plastic that responds well to the heat.

You can straighten out weapons doing it, if you collect NECA figures, you know how brittle they can be out of the package, so if you just heat up the whole figure before test driving all the little joints, it helps avoid any unnecessary breakages. It helps any joints that can be frozen up with paints, etc. It's just a good thing to have on hand if you have an action figure collection.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. -George Bernard Shaw

Thanks for posting this Baena! It's much appreciated.

While I do hope going forward Super 7 can make the figures so this isn't necessary, this is no big deal. But hopefully they can get the figures back closer to the original MOTU Classics so the parts pop on and off without needing to heat them with a dryer every time.

Thanks for the info!

I was not able to attend Power Con this year. However, I did order some exclusives and I am waiting for them to come in!!!

Heroic Warrior
    You should also be able to use a heating pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringer82 View Post
    Thanks for posting this Baena! It's much appreciated.

While I do hope going forward Super 7 can make the figures so this isn't necessary, this is no big deal. But hopefully they can get the figures back closer to the original MOTU Classics so the parts pop on and off without needing to heat them with a dryer every time.
    They're working on it.

Terroar looks so cool but I must admit, I think it would have been better if the mouth had been open like he was "roaring."

That's called a pack-in opportunity for the future!
    Or, 2nd Creepy Head Pack
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Or, 2nd Creepy Head Pack
    That would be exciting.

Is the entire trap jaw arm on horroar removable like on trap jaw? It would be awesome if I could replace it with my extra trap jaw arm.

Like Baena, I use my wife's hairdryer (which, let's face it, I've essentially claimed as my own by now) for tons of toy-related stuff. I used to boil and pop, but ever since I started using the hairdryer, I've never gone back. As an added note, I don't use an actual heat gun, as I know some people do, because I fear that the temps can get too high and damage the figure. The hairdryer method just feels safer to me. It might take a half-minute longer, but I can wait
    -KTC

My FREE MOTU stories:

MOTU: The Bloodline Trilogy

Or, 2nd Creepy Head Pack
    Speaking of Head Pack......... 200x Teela head, 200x Rattlor head, 200X Snake Men army builder heads, Filmation Horde Trooper head, new Palace Guard heads. Yeah, I think a new Head Pack is in order.

I'm bald, I got one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I'm bald, I got one

I use a desk lamp with a bending neck and a 60 watt bulb... been doing it since 2008 and no issues..
    Just when you thought it was safe to take a pee.....- Hard Ticket To Hawaii -

online with my office computer in Liverpool
    Quote Originally Posted by Baena View Post
    Yep, same would apply on Adam.

Really, I keep a hair dryer in my studio specifically for figures, and for paints, but I use it largely on the figures. It's a handy tool to have, and I feel it works better overall than the boiling method. You can boil, but it's just longer, messier, can be more painful, etc.

And it's not just these figures. Seriously, I use the hairdryer trick on almost all figures, especially as most are built with a PVC plastic that responds well to the heat.

You can straighten out weapons doing it, if you collect NECA figures, you know how brittle they can be out of the package, so if you just heat up the whole figure before test driving all the little joints, it helps avoid any unnecessary breakages. It helps any joints that can be frozen up with paints, etc. It's just a good thing to have on hand if you have an action figure collection.

Thanks, I'm still quite new to customising, started just swapping boots and heads (and cutting the odd loincloth) only recently started swapping out legs and arms and found the joints usually only need a little teasing with a small flat screwdriver to pop out, but always willing to try new ways.

Quote Originally Posted by rankinman View Post
    I'm bald, I got one

Seems a popular method

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    I use a desk lamp with a bending neck and a 60 watt bulb... been doing it since 2008 and no issues..
    hmm, I have both of those already!
    If there's something strange in the neighbourhood, who you gonna' call? HE-MAN!!!!

Baena: since you’ve got these figures in hand, I was wondering how close of a match colour-wise is Plasmar’s crossbow to the colour of the Spirit of Hordak figure?

Also, any suggestions on how to keep Plasmar’s blasters in those slots on his wrists? Reading the review on the Fwoosh, it says they keep popping out.

Awesome! Thank you, He-bro!
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2017!

Or, 2nd Creepy Head Pack
    Lol I hope we can make that it's official name.
    We need to let our new friends at Super 7 know that many of us are ALL IN COLLECTORS. We don't want products that are impossible for the average collector to have access to! If there is a He-man product, I want to buy it. Please no chases or con-only exclusives.

Make your voice heard! We DO want Snake Mountain!

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Nice job, He-bro!
    PS4 contact: Petruk1976
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087