Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Answers to Fan Q&A 3.1!

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.1!

Super7 has once again provided answers to your questions.
    Thanks again to them for taking the time to answer these!
    Check out their answers to your Round 1 questions!

This round of questions were selected by mjw41.
    Thanks to that fan for their help!

1. backsun442: In the Power-Con panel video, you mention things we never saw before from the vintage MOTU line. Will you be sharing images of these things online with fans?

Hopefully we will be turning a lot of those ideas into products. One of the things is the evolution of Eldor from concept to final, etc. that we want to package with the final Eldor figure. We want to bring this all into the public, but are trying to package it all together into cohesive ideas rather than a bulk dump of information with no clear hierarchy or historical parallels.

2. Shecky: For future pre-orders, would it be possible to start relaying MOTUC information in-full either in advance or at least at the start of the pre-order, including what accessories will come with each figure offered?

That would be our ideal plan as well. We are still not operating everything exactly as we had hoped for launch. Ideally in 2018, we will have one wave of four figures every three months (as opposed to two waves at once) with final figures in a much more final stage before we need to open up the pre-orders.

3. King Tamusk: With 2018 being the 10th anniversary of MOTUC, are there any plans to do something special to celebrate this milestone?

That is a really good idea. I have to be honest, I had not considered it before now, so if something happens, it will become the unofficial "King Tamusk version."

4. mjw41: Would Super7 please reissue CG Filmation He-Man and Skeletor as a possible two-pack, and give both characters the new styled ankles as well as a new, more Filmation style sword for He-Man that fits completely into his sword sheath?

Right now we have no plans to go back to the earlier Filmation figures, and we would have to gain access to the Mattel tooling bank, so that makes it more complicated. I wish I had a better answer for you, but at this time, we do not.

5. jjhuehn: Would you tell us your plans for the future of the vintage MOTU inspired 5.75 inch line, including if we could expect more figures that never existed previously in the 80s as toys, as well as your production time frame for the first wave?

Ideally we are making an on-going wave of 5.75" size figures, but we are working with Mattel currently to see if this line goes to retail in a bigger way. So, when it actually begins is still a bit up in the air. But, ideally, it is going on for a long time.

--------------------

Click here to ask questions in Round 2!
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Super7.
    Click here for a master list of all previous Q&A sessions with Mattycollector.
    And, have fun discussing Super7's answers to your Round 1 questions!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

These are really well answered questions. They seem to understand the question, and give answers that are likely to answer what the originator of the question was looking for. I am happy to say I am impressed.

The answer that alludes to them not having access to the Mattel tooling troubles me. Do they not have any access to any of the Mattel MOTUC tools? Only partial access to some tools? Did they at one time and now have to retool everything? I am fairly surprised at this. I would like some clarification on this at some point. It seems to be a rather big deal.

Great questions and answers for this round! Thanks to everyone who made it possible, including the folks that run the .ORG!
    Last edited by darkmoon766; November 2, 2017 at 12:46am.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    They seem to understand the question, and give anwsers that are likely to answer what the originator of the question was looking for.
    Oh man, I remember that from the old Q&A's. Reading the answer and thinking "That's not what was asked!" Thankfully, Super7 really does seem to get it.
    "Peanut nostrils, happy clams."
    -Michael J. Nelson

These are really well answered questions. They seem to understand the question, and give anwsers that are likely to answer what the originator of the question was looking for. I am happy to say I am impressed.

The answer that alludes to them not having access to the Mattel tooling troubles me. Do they not have any access to any of the Mattel MOTUC tools? Only partial access to some tools? Did they at one time and now have to retool everything? I am fairly surprised at this. I would like some clarification on this at some point. It seems to be a rather big deal.

Great questions and answers for this round! Thanks to everyone who made it possible, including the folks that run the .ORG!
    I think what was meant was that the Mattel factory has the tooling stored there and Super7 changed over to their own factory so it would be difficult to try to use any of those molds from the prior filmation figures.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

The lack of access to any Mattel tools would explain a lot.

This also adds more context to Brian's answer on the Podcast about why they won't redo CG He-Man and CG Skeletor. It makes me worry about the future of Classics if there's no entry point for either the CG line or the CC line that involves He-Man and Skeletor. I'm just praying Sorceress comes out and then I guess I won't care as much, but I really wanted this line to continue much longer.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Heroic Warrior
    Some good hints about early vintage stuff and acknowledgements that some things aren't quite as far forward as originally hoped. I believe there are some good intentions here, and hopefully early niggles will be solved next year. I said early on that I thought the line was in safe hands - I think that's still the case.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Good answers! I love how Super7 interacts with us.

The question about going back to re-releasing Filmation He-Man & Skeletor seems like a wasted opportunity… Those of us who are curious about figures/characters who have not yet been made were discouraged from asking questions about them, yet this one passed under the radar?

Because Super7 IS so receptive, the chance to ask about production or details regarding potential further releases isn't a wasted question in general… As long as the question is creative.
    Last edited by bcrduke; November 4, 2017 at 01:35am.
    A Want List: Starburst She-Ra, Slamurai, Mini Comic Tri-Klops, Mini-Comic/Vintage Toy costume Catra, The Enchantress, Kayo, Joya, Lt. Andra, Storm, The Twiggets, Melaktha, Sagitar, Spirit, Kothos, Master Sebrian, Scrollos, Weapons Paks, Fuerza T figures, 200X Sorceress, King Miro.

Filmation Variants: Prince Adam, Adora, Count Marzo, Leech, Entrapta, Modulok, Glimmer, Bow, Catra w/ Cat Form

A very nice Q&A!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior

Answers to Fan Q&A 3.1!

Ok looking through these Iím pretty confident this line will last a few more years. Very happy with these responses

Functioning Addict TattooedRobot's Avatar
    The filmation He-Man Skeletor rerelease makes no sense. There are literally 4 or 5 ways they can reissue the figures. They donít need the Mattel tooling. They are doing new sculpts anyways, surely the horseman have **** loads of filmation He-Man and Skeletor tests and tools.
    IDK....
    How about an Ultimate Filmation release with alternate heads for both of them?
    Smiling, laughing, angry, frightened....
    How about an episode specific release, He-Man from the Problem with Power?
    How about Faker with a normal He-Man head included?
    Ambassador Therin with regular Skeletor head included.
    I mean really it takes about 3 secs of thought to rerelease these....

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    Good answers! I love how Super7 interacts with us.

The question about going back to re-releasing Filmation He-Man & Skeletor seems like a wasted opportunity… Those of us who are curious about figures/characters who have not yet been made were discouraged from asking questions about them, yet this one passed under the radar?

Because Super7 IS so receptive, the chance to ask about production or details regarding potential further releases isn't a wasted question in general… As long as the question is creative.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by TattooedRobot View Post
    The filmation He-Man Skeletor rerelease makes no sense. There are literally 4 or 5 ways they can reissue the figures. They don’t need the Mattel tooling. They are doing new sculpts anyways, surely the horseman have **** loads of filmation He-Man and Skeletor tests and tools.
    IDK....
    How about an Ultimate Filmation release with alternate heads for both of them?
    Smiling, laughing, angry, frightened....
    How about an episode specific release, He-Man from the Problem with Power?
    How about Faker with a normal He-Man head included?
    Ambassador Therin with regular Skeletor head included.
    I mean really it takes about 3 secs of thought to rerelease these....
    I'd be happy with any of the options listed above. I already have the original 2.0 He-Man (via pure luck - opening all these at Xmas :P ), but would happily accept a new version (with different / new accessories) or the Faker with He-Man head idea...both options offering a face with different expression. Definitely need a re:release of Skeletor...surely ambassador Therin would be a great way of doing it (with the extra head as an accessory)...if it's a different expression on Skele's face then fine. For those of us coming in a little later for CG and starting with the Super7 continuation, it seems a little silly that we can't get hold of the main hero or villian...I mean paying $25O+ AUD for a 2.0 Skeletor is something I'm not prepared to do even if it means having the character absent from my CG collection entirely...
    Last edited by GoatmanSays; November 4, 2017 at 02:21am.

Quote Originally Posted by GoatmanSays View Post
    I'd be happy with any of the options listed above. I already have the original 2.0 He-Man (via pure luck - opening all these at Xmas :P ), but would happily accept a new version (with different / new accessories) or the Faker with He-Man head idea...both options offering a face with different expression. Definitely need a re:release of Skeletor...surely ambassador Therin would be a great way of doing it (with the extra head as an accessory)...if it's a different expression on Skele's face then fine. For those of us coming in a little later for CG and starting with the Super7 continuation, it seems a little silly that we can't get hold of the main hero or villian...I mean paying $25O+ AUD for a 2.0 Skeletor is something I'm not prepared to do even if it means having the character absent from my CG collection entirely...
    Right I am saying this as someone who has 2 of each filmation characters already. Please let people who missed out get in the line itís crazy not to. Plus I mean I would buy all those variants too.... I hate scarcity itís a turn off for collectors.

Right I am saying this as someone who has 2 of each filmation characters already. Please let people who missed out get in the line it’s crazy not to. Plus I mean I would buy all those variants too.... I hate scarcity it’s a turn off for collectors.
    Totally agree with this. Scarcity seriously undermines collecting and is a big negative for customers.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

I really had taken for granted that CG He Man and Skeletor would be re released at some point. And I sure don’t like the news that there’s no access to old tooling?? What!? That’s insane.

Feeling decidedly uneasy about the future of classics. And I get the feeling we’re headed for a 5.75” future. Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Despotron View Post
    I really had taken for granted that CG He Man and Skeletor would be re released at some point. And I sure donít like the news that thereís no access to old tooling?? What!? Thatís insane.

Feeling decidedly uneasy about the future of classics. And I get the feeling weíre headed for a 5.75Ē future. Meh.
    That's a lot of doom and gloom taken from a decision not to rerelease figures from 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe777 View Post
    That's a lot of doom and gloom taken from a decision not to rerelease figures from 2016.
    Not having access to Mattel's tooling rules out a lot of things, or at least makes them harder.

The 1 hour podcast with Brian wasn't all that reassuring about the future of Classics.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

The filmation He-Man Skeletor rerelease makes no sense. There are literally 4 or 5 ways they can reissue the figures. They don’t need the Mattel tooling. They are doing new sculpts anyways, surely the horseman have **** loads of filmation He-Man and Skeletor tests and tools.
    New tooling is a HUGE expense. The 4H do not have the tooled molds lying around. Those are only at the factory Mattel used, and it's not easy to get a factory to turn over their molds.

The 4H also do not have a lot of test-shots lying around. In fact, they barely have any. Those went to Mattel, not to the 4H. But it doesn't even matter as those test-shots aren't going to do you any good when it comes to the need for newly tooled steel molds.

The tooling is what makes Super7 re-releasing those early CG figures cost preventative. We've talked about this at length in many other threads here. We even did a couple Roast Gooble Dinners where Brian talked about it, and Eric from the 4H laid out in detail the cost involved.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    The tooling is what makes Super7 re-releasing those early CG figures cost preventative. We've talked about this at length in many other threads here. We even did a couple Roast Gooble Dinners where Brian talked about it, and Eric from the 4H laid out in detail the cost involved.
    You'd think at some point you might have to bite the bullet on it, though, if you want to continue the CG line for much longer. Brian even hints at this during the Fans of Power podcast -- you need to be able to let people get back on the train. In the podcast, he ties this into the Vintage line bringing a lot more people into MOTU collecting, and that maybe driving the demand for Classics and other MOTU products. Maybe that's going to happen (I'd think the Vintage line will simply drive people to collect Vintage figures).

Either the 5.75 inch line will reinvigorate MOTU as a whole, or it will become MOTU collecting (the same way Classics did for a long time). I think it's the latter, but hope it's the former. I just don't see how, though, the line can continue for too long if new people are not a part of the plan (and new people need access to He-Man and Skeletor).
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    You'd think at some point you might have to bite the bullet on it, though, if you want to continue the CG line for much longer. Brian even hints at this during the Fans of Power podcast -- you need to be able to let people get back on the train. In the podcast, he ties this into the Vintage line bringing a lot more people into MOTU collecting, and that maybe driving the demand for Classics and other MOTU products. Maybe that's going to happen (I'd think the Vintage line will simply drive people to collect Vintage figures).

Either the 5.75 inch line will reinvigorate MOTU as a whole, or it will become MOTU collecting (the same way Classics did for a long time). I think it's the latter, but hope it's the former. I just don't see how, though, the line can continue for too long if new people are not a part of the plan (and new people need access to He-Man and Skeletor).
    I agree. To me, it feels like the 6" lines are slowly being phased out to make room for the 5" line. I really hope I'm wrong about that.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, POP Vintage Variants completed, NA Vintage completed, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Ice Armor He-Man, Skeleteen

You'd think at some point you might have to bite the bullet on it, though, if you want to continue the CG line for much longer. Brian even hints at this during the Fans of Power podcast -- you need to be able to let people get back on the train.
    True, as far as some of the parts go. But they wouldn't need to do all the tooling needed for each of those figures unless they want to re-release those specifically.
    But it could happen.

True, as far as some of the parts go. But they wouldn't need to do all the tooling needed for each of those figures unless they want to re-release those specifically.
    But it could happen.
    This is True. If Super7 did choose to Reissue He-Man & Skeletor they would only need some New tooling. The Man At Arms boots are basicly Skeletors boot design They have the legs and Arms for He-man as Tri-Klops shares those. Basicly the Horsemen would need to rescultpt a MOTUC He-Man Torso that Skeletor would also share, The Iron Cross harness with Sword Sheath and a new sword. New Boots for He-Man, Skeletors forarms and hands, Loincloth, Chest Harness and Hooded head and a shorter Havok staff.

If Super7 chose to reissue Both Filmation He-Man & Skeletor it could be offered as a preorder Holiday Two pack for say maybe Christmas 2018

Super7 is going to need to do Filmation Prince Adam at some point they already have the vest with sword holder from the powercon three pack so they just need a Filmation He-man buck and Prince Adam and He-Man share the same exact Boot design so to reissue Filmation He-Man sometime in the near future seems like a No brainer.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

I thought reissuing CG He-man and Skeletor was a no-brainer too, but we've had two denials in a very short amount of time.

At this point, I just hope I get Sorceress.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

New tooling is a HUGE expense. The 4H do not have the tooled molds lying around. Those are only at the factory Mattel used, and it's not easy to get a factory to turn over their molds.

The 4H also do not have a lot of test-shots lying around. In fact, they barely have any. Those went to Mattel, not to the 4H. But it doesn't even matter as those test-shots aren't going to do you any good when it comes to the need for newly tooled steel molds.

Okay but that still doesn't make sense. The cost for a new tool isn't anymore expensive for He-Man and Skeletor than any of the other characters they plan on releasing. What other characters do they plan on releasing that will even approach the sales of a He-Man / Skeletor re-release? Probably zero. So let's spend the money on tooling for these two so new fans and old fans can get on board. 'Cause not having them available will be a barrier to sales and potentially detrimental this line succeeding.

Heroic Warrior
    I thought reissuing CG He-man and Skeletor was a no-brainer too, but we've had two denials in a very short amount of time.

At this point, I just hope I get Sorceress.

Letís be realistic about a re-release of He-Man and Skeletor. There are maybe 20 people on the org (being generous) asking for a re-release. Then say that the org represents about 5% of the total fandom (I think this is what was being thrown around when we used to count how many subs had been purchased in the Matty days).

So if 5% = 20, then 100% = 400 requested figures. Even if you double it, I still don't think that enough for a single run.

Then say they do a run, I don't know the figures, but what's been said in the past on the org, to be conservative and say 3000. S7 would then have to sit on those figures and eat the costs.

Also consider that Classics He-Man and Skeletor sat on the Matty site for years before they sold out. I know because I purchased both He Man and Skeletor from the Matty site in 2013.