Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The MOTUC Variant Line: The place that isn't Collector's Choice or Club Grayskull

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The MOTUC Variant Line: The place that isn't Collector's Choice or Club Grayskull

We need a dedicated place for the MOTU variants. For all of the various non-Filmation variants that are still out there.

It wouldn't be Collector's Choice. That's for fresh characters who haven't appeared yet.
    It wouldn't be Club Grayskull. That's for Filmation variants of characters who have already appeared in Classics/Collector's Choice.

(The Ultimate Line is a variant line, but could it feature characters from other eras of MOTU besides the Vintage era? Would it be strange for fans to see MYP General Rattlor on the exploding red rock card? Or original POP toyline She-Ra?)

The Variant Line serves a purpose even with MOTU fans who don't like variants: the Variant Line keeps variants isolated to that particular line and prevents them from potentially taking up a slot in Collector's Choice--which is the LAST thing most fans would want. Of course, the fans who aren't into variants could always skip the line--this line wouldn't be their cup of tea.

The Variant Line would feature things such as POP variants (Starburst She-Ra or original Catra), 200X/MYP variants (200X Hawke or Ice Armor He-Man), Mini-comics variants (Tri-Klops or elderly King Randor), NA variants (Disks of Doom Skeletor/Battle Blade Skeletor), 1987 movie variants IF they become available (Movie Karg and God Skeletor), as well as extra stuff like Leo Faker and the non-translucent Green Goddess 2.0.

Discuss.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

I'd be way more interested in variants of a, b, c list characters than brand new x, y, z list characters. Some really core a - c list characters didn't turn out too well the first time so it would be nice to get a good version of the figure. Now bring on Leo Faker and a bunch of 200X variants.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

I'd be great with a variant line of 3 or 4 variants a year.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I'd be way more interested in variants of a, b, c list characters than brand new x, y, z list characters. Some really core a - c list characters didn't turn out too well the first time so it would be nice to get a good version of the figure. Now bring on Leo Faker and a bunch of 200X variants.
    I'm the opposite, for the most part I'd always rather have a brand new character than a variant.
    We already have about 20 He-Man and Skeletors. That said, I don't mind seeing an occasional variant in the line if it's worthy/different enough (like a 200X Roboto).
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Heroic Warrior
    This is a great idea. I would love to see a line for variants.

I support this idea. It would give is the variants without taking away slots for new characters.
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

I would love to have most of the variants you mention, so if this helps them happen, I'm all for it.

Speaking of variants, I would love variant heads with facial expression (angry, scared, smiling) of major characters. This could fit into this line either as a separate head pack, or on the figure themselves (eg. ice Armor He-Man could come with a special facial expression He-Man head, and then you can use it on whichever He-Man you want).

Sorry to hijack your idea , but yeah, variant line would be cool. I think there are certain variants that people would really love

I would think that a variant line would sell poorly. Personally I'd like to see them stay as exclusives like SDCC, NYTF, Powercon, ect.

Heroic Warrior
    There's certainly room for this. It would save having to rely on the once-a-year Power-Con selection, and it could end up being quite a diverse mix because it would cross several factions / eras / publications etc.

Minicomic Tri-Klops, I suspect, could be on the way next year, but The Clash of Arms Whiplash and Slime Pit He-Man come to mind from that era.

I know very little about the 200X variants, but the Hiss and He-Man set turned out well. (Glossing over the snake-form debacle.)
    Last edited by VaultsofGrayskull; October 31, 2017 at 12:17pm.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

I would hate to see variants in CC. That would be a deal breaker that would make me stop collecting the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I would hate to see variants in CC. That would be a deal breaker that would make me stop collecting the line.
    I think the point the original poster was making is that we should have a dedicated variant sub. There are collectors who want variants and there are still new collectors coming in who could use a chance at getting a list characters. And if you hate variants you can just skip it. I've been collecting since the begining and I still would prefer variants at this point, especially 200X variants.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    This is where I'm at right now, save for the ABC Giants, Captain Miro, Kittrina and the rest of NA. There are few unique characters that I want, probably less than 20.

Some fans already have THEIR favorite version of a character--the original toy version. But what if you're a fan who likes another version of that character? That is where the disconnect comes from; you already have your favorite version of the character, so you see no reason for any other version. "Why do we need mini-comic Tri-Klops taking up a slot? We have a perfectly good original Vintage era Tri-Klops already, the version I grew up with!" Some people can't see past their own situation or desires. Imagine if we had gotten the 200X versions of all of the characters first? I think ALOT more people who would be clamoring for Vintage or Filmation versions of those characters would understand where I'm coming from had that scenario happened.

The variant line could be another opportunity to correct some mistakes from the original Classics line. Like a Vintage Roboto that didn't crack or a new version of the Goddess. I don't know if people would want a King Hsss with corrected shoulders (maybe if he came with new features or items).

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I would love to have most of the variants you mention, so if this helps them happen, I'm all for it.

Speaking of variants, I would love variant heads with facial expression (angry, scared, smiling) of major characters. This could fit into this line either as a separate head pack, or on the figure themselves (eg. ice Armor He-Man could come with a special facial expression He-Man head, and then you can use it on whichever He-Man you want).

Sorry to hijack your idea , but yeah, variant line would be cool. I think there are certain variants that people would really love
    It's okay. The point of this thread is to discuss the idea and see if there's any support. But good ideas though. A wonderful feature of this line is the endless easy customization options from head-swapping.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I would think that a variant line would sell poorly. Personally I'd like to see them stay as exclusives like SDCC, NYTF, Powercon, ect.
    The Variant line could keep those exclusives as new characters, rather than repaints. But why do you think a Variant line would sell poorly?

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    There's certainly room for this. It would save having to rely on the once-a-year Power-Con selection, and it could end up being quite a diverse mix because it would cross several factions / eras / publications etc.
    Indeed! The problem with exclusives is that they have to pick an era or have multiple multi-packs from different eras of MOTU. This year's exclusives featured Pre-Filmation and the unreleased McCarthy figures from 1988. The Variant line would be a mix of eras. We could have a Wave with WMD Roboto, Starburst She-Ra, Mini-Comic Tri-Klops and Leo Faker. This would be an advantage over the exclusives, which would have to stick with one era, unless they were sold as individual figures.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    I fully support this. This is what I want most.

Ideally, figure pre-orders would rotate quarterly.

I think it would sell poorly just based on the waning sales of the line with some of the most wanted figures from over the years in it. Karg, Horde Mummy, Dylamug...if they can't sell subs how would a third King Randor or another He-man variant?! Unfortunately I Just don't see that being a thing. That being said I'd love a new 52 Masters line but I don't see that happening either.

The pre-Filmation era has always been the "real" MOTU to me, so I imagine I'd find far more to interest me in a line that included variants based on that era than I do in the current offerings. We've still never gotten true Alcala versions of Skeletor and He-Man, for example. (You can get pretty damn close mixing parts from existing figures, but there are still some missing bits. I've wanted a He-Man with a damn boot knife for 35 years now!) This would also open things up for more 2002-era variants, something I don't see happening with the current setup. I would dearly love a Skeletor and Tri-Klops using the 2002 designs, in particular. Some figures took a few design cues from the 2002 era, but those two drew virtually nothing from those awesome designs. And honestly, that's perfectly fine, but those of us who love those 2002 designs have waited a very long time to get the versions we want.

Look at Star Wars toys. They've made just about every character that had at least .25 seconds of screen time. But they still crank out new Lukes, Hans. Leias, Darth Vaders, Boba Fetts, etc. The line would tank if they flat out stopped releasing the core characters every once in a while. At some point, figures like the 3rd droid from the left in that one frame that lasted .5 seconds isn't going to keep the line going.

I think MegaGearMax's idea of having variants in a dedicated variant sub line is a good idea. If certain collectors would rather have characters like Horde Mummy over MYP King Randor, then they can pass on the variant sub and just stick with CC. But I think there are enough collectors who want variants along with enough newcomers who need core characters to sustain a variant sub. They can keep it small like 1 sub of 4 figures a year.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    I think it would sell poorly just based on the waning sales of the line with some of the most wanted figures from over the years in it. Karg, Horde Mummy, Dylamug...if they can't sell subs how would a third King Randor or another He-man variant?! Unfortunately I Just don't see that being a thing. That being said I'd love a new 52 Masters line but I don't see that happening either.
    In the very least, we might see Battle Armor Teela or Green Goddess from that comic line.

Thanks for continuing the discussion, He-Dad!

As for variants versus unique characters, another way to see it is this: we have a character that most fans know of who has an awesome redesign or new costume versus an obscure character that only the most hardcore fans want. Would Ice Armor He-Man or WMD Roboto outsell Dylamug or Horde Mummy? The problem with selling new characters nowadays is that they are so lesser known that they only have a visual, maybe an obscure cartoon or comic book appearance to fall back on. At least all MOTU fans know who Randor is. Heck, some might prefer his 200X/MYP look to the Vintage look that we have already and would replace that Vintage figure with the 200X/MYP version.

The Blonde Teela Thread

Heroic Warrior
    I’d be in for it. For me the Filmation and vintage toy looks are the most iconic. And for those arguing new characters would be better sellers than toy accurate variants of he man, jitsu, merman, Rio blast etc you’re WRONG. That’s why toy companies are always looking for ways to release the big names. I’d argue more people would be excited about vintage toy variants than New unique Z level characters

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, entrapta , adora, moss man, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    In the very least, we might see Battle Armor Teela or Green Goddess from that comic line.

Thanks for continuing the discussion, He-Dad!

As for variants versus unique characters, another way to see it is this: we have a character that most fans know of who has an awesome redesign or new costume versus an obscure character that only the most hardcore fans want. Would Ice Armor He-Man or WMD Roboto outsell Dylamug or Horde Mummy? The problem with selling new characters nowadays is that they are so lesser known that they only have a visual, maybe an obscure cartoon or comic book appearance to fall back on. At least all MOTU fans know who Randor is. Heck, some might prefer his 200X/MYP look to the Vintage look that we have already and would replace that Vintage figure with the 200X/MYP version.
    No problem. I'm not opposed to variants....im just saying I would think a third line dedicated to them wouldn't fly. To be honest I don't know what would at this point. We have a massive collection that went from reasonably priced to high end expensive with a pay up front and hope for the best business model. It seems like a lot of people are tapping out and while it makes me sad I get it. Like I said I would love Green Goddesses Teela and other DC variants. I'd also like an MYP Randor. (They should have saved BK Randor for CG but hindsite). But I'd like Miro more

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    I’d be in for it. For me the Filmation and vintage toy looks are the most iconic. And for those arguing new characters would be better sellers than toy accurate variants of he man, jitsu, merman, Rio blast etc you’re WRONG. That’s why toy companies are always looking for ways to release the big names. I’d argue more people would be excited about vintage toy variants than New unique Z level characters
    We have pretty close to toy accurate all of those at this point. I doubt they would bother. That's what the ultimate were for and it sounds like they are done.

I'd like to see certain variants for sure (mostly 200x inspired), though there are many remaining new characters who are pretty cool looking regardless and well worth getting. Minox and Shezar would be awesome to get from Super7. I'm surprised they haven't already worked in at least one variant in the two waves of CC, although with all of CG being just variants along with the Ultimates, maybe they didn't feel it was the right time.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

Heroic Warrior Lazer Force Zodac's Avatar
    i never liked variants, but this might be necessary to save the line, besides i still want vintage toy She-ra, glimmer & angella in motuc style
    PoP Figures have to be based on the Vintage toys! This is NOT Filmation's Masters Of The Universe Classics MySpace Custom Blog

I like the idea but isn't it a little bit late for that?? I mean, we've already had variants of He-Man and Skelly in Classics that were not separated by CC or CG although they would be in the same ballpark as CC.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

Here's a chart illustrating in green how many variants are left among those top 50 2017 Character Poll winners we haven't seen as figures in Classics yet. It also breaks down remaining original characters.

Not a fan of the idea of separating out the variants in their own line. Why? MOTUC has been around for almost a decade and it's safe to say a lot of us have paid for quite a few figures we didn't want ourselves. It keeps the line going. What would happen if we had a separate line offered for each category of figures? Would there be some categories that wouldn't be approved due to lack of interest? Would enough people pre-order an NA only line to get the green light from Super7? I doubt it. With Collector's Choice and Club Grayskull (and the exclusives), Super7 is continuing the very smart trend of peppering less demanded figures in with higher demanded figures. This helps ensure a longer life span for the line.

Btw, anyone else find it hilarious that Karg now counts as a variant? Same thing happened to poor old Mer-Man.

Last edited by AdultCollector; November 1, 2017 at 12:09am.

Including variants in CC is a potential way to keep it alive, IMO, particularly now most of the really fan-demanded characters are done. Maybe one per wave. Imagine a wave like Hunga, Lizzor, King Miro and Ice Armor He-Man...or General Tataran, King Ahgo, Master Sebrian and 200X Sorceress...or Melaktha, Admiral Scurvy, Hoove and Starburst She-Ra...

...one per wave adds some variety, but doesn't depart from the original feel of Classics. If anything, it harks back to its heyday.

I'd totally support one variant per wave if the demand was there and it meant the line getting more figures...
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Dylamug - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets - King Ahgo - Filmation Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok and Multi-Bot

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpia View Post
    Including variants in CC is a potential way to keep it alive, IMO, particularly now most of the really fan-demanded characters are done. Maybe one per wave. Imagine a wave like Hunga, Lizzor, King Miro and Ice Armor He-Man...or General Tataran, King Ahgo, Master Sebrian and 200X Sorceress...or Melaktha, Admiral Scurvy, Hoove and Starburst She-Ra...

...one per wave adds some variety, but doesn't depart from the original feel of Classics. If anything, it harks back to its heyday.

I'd totally support one variant per wave if the demand was there and it meant the line getting more figures...
    I don’t really agree with this. It reminds of the waves of the 200x line and we all know how that ended.
    I can see variants as con-exclusives and additional 2-paks outside the waves.

I don’t think I would buy a wave of four variants.
    Last edited by Grayskull's Heir; November 1, 2017 at 02:07pm.
    Awesome sticker included!