Page 2 of 74 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1839

Thread: Super7 MOTUC 2017 figures NOW SHIPPING

  1. #26
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    35,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Maradona View Post
    Are the MOTUC molds from the past decade being stored or are they lost?
    Please check out the "Answers to Fan Q&A 3.2!" thread stuck at the top of this forum where we talk about that.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Please check out the "Answers to Fan Q&A 3.2!" thread stuck at the top of this forum where we talk about that.
    Thanks! That thread was helpful. I suppose I should have been more specific in my question (or careful in my reading), but are the molds used by Mattel during the decade of the MOTUC line lost/discarded (not necessarily that they be available for S7 to use, per se, but whether they exist at all)? Would that information even be available for us to know? I ask because part of me always thought the tooling that us subscribers helped pay for over the years were going to someday be used for mass market releases to coincide with any new movie or television entertainment. It would be a true shame if the tools for Castle Grayskull, for example, were lost, but I can see where the storage of so many molds would be extremely difficult and/or expensive.

  3. #28
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    8,501
    If they’re having to retool everything, I wonder if that means that fully tooled figures are closer to reality since they don’t have to worry about using the tooling library.... or does it make it less likely because now they want to consider building up said library. Hmm.

  4. #29
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    If they’re having to retool everything, I wonder if that means that fully tooled figures are closer to reality since they don’t have to worry about using the tooling library.... or does it make it less likely because now they want to consider building up said library. Hmm.
    Look at the current wave Dylamug, Granita, Karg, and Wrap,Trap I think you have your answer.

  5. #30
    Master of fear Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Petal, Mississippi
    Posts
    5,830
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    And here's a look at the steel molds it takes to make action figures!

    From Brian:
    "So, when we talk about tooling (the molds toys are made in) this gives you a sense of size and scale of a single tool. Solid steel. These things are lifted into the injection machines with a chain pulley, similar to what happens at the auto shop when they raise up the car engine, except these might be heavier."

    This gives you some idea of the space it takes to store these, and why they rarely store old molds unless someone pays for the storage space.
    Just in case anyone thinks the estimation of a mold's weight is an exaggeration: During my years working in an injection molding factory, I saw many accidents due to people just not exercising the proper caution in moving the molds. One such incident involved a technician picking one up with one of the forklifts to transport it to one of the machines to be installed for use. He wasn't paying attention and didn't put the forks far enough into the mold (there are areas that stick out on the sides for this purpose) to bring it into the proper position relative to the cab of the forklift, so when he started lifting it, he got it up a few feet and started backing up before the forklift began to tilt forward. The mold slid off the ends of the forks and hit the ground, cracking the concrete floor. Even with earplugs in, and all the other noise that is a constant in a plastics factory, it was a deafening sound. I had seen that the mold wasn't positioned properly when he started to lift it and was running over yelling at him to stop, but he couldn't hear me over all the noise in the factory.

  6. #31
    Royal Guard chuc98's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    7,963
    And just saw the email update from Super7 as well. It's nice seeing that Brian is there making sure things are happening. I don't think we've ever gotten any insight into the process like this before. They're keeping the communication lines open. I like that!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior mjw41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5,351
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

    Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.


    Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

    Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

  8. #33
    Heroic Warrior AdultCollector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    3,345
    This is an exciting look into the production of our favorite toy line! I'm curious. Is Super7's factory capable of producing the figures with the same plastic, articulation and overall quality as the Mattel factory? Or is there some process or technology the factory might be missing that would require a change in the toys' aesthetic? And how can Super7 reproduce a part without it looking like a copy of a copy with softer details than the original part?
    Last edited by AdultCollector; December 5, 2017 at 08:49pm.

  9. #34

  10. #35
    Broncos lovin' admin! dorrmann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    13,961
    I love the factory photos. So cool to finally see.

    As much as I want these, I'm content with waiting in order to get the best possible figures!

  11. #36
    Heroic Warrior darkmoon766's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,422
    Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    This is an exciting look into the production of our favorite toy line! I'm curious. Is Super7's factory capable of producing the figures with the same plastic, articulation and overall quality as the Mattel factory? Or is there some process or technology the factory might be missing that would require a change in the toys' aesthetic? And how can Super7 reproduce a part without it looking like a copy of a copy with softer details than the original part?
    I'm assuming they are starting from master prototype casts made from the Horsemen. Those are what originally were used for the Mattel molds, so it's not like a copy of a copy, it's just starting the process anew. Just don't Re-Mold Trapjaw legs please!

    Yay to Brian and Super-7 for proving they give a damn!

  12. #37
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    8,501
    I sit down to my typewriter, steaming mug of coffee set beside, cutting at the gem of speculative fiction. In the tale, I look to a future slightly longer than or a bit fewer than but certainly approximately three months from this day. A figure - nay, two! are discovered with their shoes on their opposite feet. Quality control, they cry, torches in hand. For he was there! The bearded man! Personally eyed and individually inspected each part, he did. As villain he is recast, as bearded effigies are prepared.

  13. #38
    Royal Guard Blade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,652
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    And just saw the email update from Super7 as well. It's nice seeing that Brian is there making sure things are happening. I don't think we've ever gotten any insight into the process like this before. They're keeping the communication lines open. I like that!
    I know. Super 7 has been continuously impressing me over the past so many months. I mean, we have seen evidence that they do listen to us and try to make corrections as needed. Plus, they do give us updates such as this one. Even more interesting is the fact that we are actually seeing some of the processes that go into making MOTUC figures. It's just amazing.
    I have finally returned from Despondos.


    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...psa697c4d9.png

  14. #39
    Hexcellent Horror Hostess
    Penny Dreadful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Massachusetts, US
    Posts
    4,063
    It's really cool seeing the behind-the-scenes stuff at the factory! After nearly 10 years, we finally get a peek behind the factory curtain. That was pretty awesome. Major props to Brian and Josh for the inside look!

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    I'm assuming they are starting from master prototype casts made from the Horsemen. Those are what originally were used for the Mattel molds, so it's not like a copy of a copy, it's just starting the process anew.
    Exactly. The Four Horsemen still have the original sculpts/prototypes.

    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I sit down to my typewriter, steaming mug of coffee set beside, cutting at the gem of speculative fiction. In the tale, I look to a future slightly longer than or a bit fewer than but certainly approximately three months from this day. A figure - nay, two! are discovered with their shoes on their opposite feet. Quality control, they cry, torches in hand. For he was there! The bearded man! Personally eyed and individually inspected each part, he did. As villain he is recast, as bearded effigies are prepared.
    PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
    Weekly hosted horror, sci-fi, suspense, and fantasy films!
    On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England


    OFFICIAL WEBSITE
    http://www.shillingshockers.com

  15. #40
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Hellbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I sit down to my typewriter, steaming mug of coffee set beside, cutting at the gem of speculative fiction. In the tale, I look to a future slightly longer than or a bit fewer than but certainly approximately three months from this day. A figure - nay, two! are discovered with their shoes on their opposite feet. Quality control, they cry, torches in hand. For he was there! The bearded man! Personally eyed and individually inspected each part, he did. As villain he is recast, as bearded effigies are prepared.
    Wanted in MOTUC:

    Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, Hoove, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Colonel Blast, Vypor, Skeleteen, Sagitar

  16. #41
    Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    480
    Really appreciate this kind of communication from the factory .

    No problem for waiting if this give us perfect figures !

  17. #42
    son of Xemnoss Xetheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lots of different places
    Posts
    1,066
    Hi, Could anyone give me an estimate on when these figures will approximately ship? As I understand it, these figures will ship by the end of December 2017 by boat and will hopefully arrive sometime in January at Super 7 after US customs and then prepared for shipment to the people who ordered by the end of January, beginning of February 2018. Then they have to arrive at the doorstep of fans to review and then the deadline for ordering wave 1 2018 is closing. Is that about correct? I'd like to have an update on that, too, since I still have to order wave 1 2018 and want to make sure I'll be home for wave 1 2017.
    Re-release Dino-Riders sculpted by the Four Horsemen!!!

  18. #43
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Fairview Heights, IL
    Posts
    3,545
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    Hi, Could anyone give me an estimate on when these figures will approximately ship? As I understand it, these figures will ship by the end of December 2017 by boat and will hopefully arrive sometime in January at Super 7 after US customs and then prepared for shipment to the people who ordered by the end of January, beginning of February 2018. Then they have to arrive at the doorstep of fans to review and then the deadline for ordering wave 1 2018 is closing. Is that about correct? I'd like to have an update on that, too, since I still have to order wave 1 2018 and want to make sure I'll be home for wave 1 2017.
    I don’t see the question here sounds like you said exactly everything we have been told.

  19. #44
    son of Xemnoss Xetheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lots of different places
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by bribri4u View Post
    I don’t see the question here sounds like you said exactly everything we have been told.
    I thought so. Have not read anywhere about these estimates (January/February 2018). Just by logic this is how it should go.

    I just want a confirmation that this is what is right, since I am afraid to have them in hand around x-mas and have to order wave 1 2018 by then...x-mas was so super expensive that I would like to save up before I give the money away for another large order on the wave 1 2018 figures + custom charges and VAT on order wave 1 2017. February would suit me much more for ordering wave 1 2018 then right now, just before x-mas.
    Re-release Dino-Riders sculpted by the Four Horsemen!!!

  20. #45
    Snake Men Enthusiast QueenQuetzale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    136
    So so glad to be getting an update on these figures.
    WARNING: FANGIRL AHEAD

    Filmation Most Loved: Hordak, Catra, Sorceress
    NA Most Loved: Crita, Hoove
    MYP Most Loved: Skeletor, Orko, Snake Men
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Filmation Hordak, MYP Skeletor

  21. #46
    Heroic Warrior Greenskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Atlantic Canada
    Posts
    1,046
    Glad S7 is working so hard to get us great figures. Can’t wait to see pictures of the finished product.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

  22. #47
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    35,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Xetheus View Post
    I thought so. Have not read anywhere about these estimates (January/February 2018). Just by logic this is how it should go.
    I think you broke down the estimates pretty well. Nicely done, sir!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  23. #48
    Heroic Warrior
    Thatman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    8,823
    That is pretty neat to see some of the behind-the-scenes stuff. I'm sure a lot of things are confidential, but I'd love to watch a whole making-of kind of thing with these guys.

    It's a bummer that the figures won't be here prior to Christmas, but I really would rather have the best possible product if it means waiting a bit longer - as long as going forward the turnaround times are much less, now that they've got things worked out. (I.e., I'd like to have Wave 2 well before *next* Christmas)

    I just re-arranged my display to make room for the eight new CC figures coming, so I'm looking forward to the arrival of the first four!
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

  24. #49
    Heroic Warrior Arek Brimstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    74
    That was a pretty cool update from Brian. Cool little behind-the-scenes photos, kinda fascinating! (I also really appreciate the status update!)

  25. #50
    Heroic Warrior SSj3 Derek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    279
    So do we have idea when the date they will actually ship will be? Even a rough one? I'm not upset, stuff happens and I'm glad the line is continuing at all, but I am curious.
    Good Trades with: MOTU_Maniac, bmoore, Riddle of Steel, sandrockgundam04, Brian Ozone, and blue monkey.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •