Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle Angel Alita Movie 2018

This popped up as an ad today. I think it looks really good and am actually excited to see it.

White knights of the internet only see flowers or dragons. Nothing in between.

Heroic Warrior
    I was just going to post this myself, glad someone else did it first. I can't wait for this movie, hope this is the one that changes the way Hollywood does anime based movies for the better.

US release date is February 14th, UK is February 6th, don't know any other release dates yet.

Heroic Warrior
    I know nothing about the original material... but this movie looks pretty awesome!

Only anime fans know Alita
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I know nothing about the original material... but this movie looks pretty awesome!
    I knew it was an anime but have never seen it. But this trailer caught my eye and now I'm pretty much sold on seeing it in theaters.

Heroic Warrior

Court Magician
    Used to read the Viz reprints back in the day but, not really feeling this. Also, it seems like a really odd choice to enhance the actress' facial features when she kinda looks anime-ish to begin with.

Heroic Warrior
    I really like her design, it has grown on me a lot since the first trailer came out.

Saw this today and loved it. One of my favorite movies ever!
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Master of New Adventures!
    Film's getting great buzz. Just emailed congrats to my good friend Casper Van Dien on his role as Amok.

The visuals are amazing and the characters are realized in such a way that gives me renewed hope for seeing the likes of Trap-Jaw and Extendar in a Masters motion picture and have them not look cheap or corny.

I didn't like the storytelling itself though. This is the first movie I've seen in a theatre where there's so many stops and starts in the overall ride that my first reaction was "Was this supposed to be a Netflix series or something?", because it had that "I'm binge-watching a bunch of episodes all at once!" kind of vibe.

I love how fleshed out the world was though in terms of the effects, costume design and sets and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    The visuals are amazing and the characters are realized in such a way that gives me renewed hope for seeing the likes of Trap-Jaw and Extendar in a Masters motion picture and have them not look cheap or corny.

I didn't like the storytelling itself though. This is the first movie I've seen in a theatre where there's so many stops and starts in the overall ride that my first reaction was "Was this supposed to be a Netflix series or something?", because it had that "I'm binge-watching a bunch of episodes all at once!" kind of vibe.

I love how fleshed out the world was though in terms of the effects, costume design and sets and everything.
    It's impossible to take such a masterful work like the original GUNNM series and squish it into a 2-hour movie.

I have to be honest, I have not seen this film - and I don't plan to - but, from I've read, the movie's narrative is far removed from Yukito Kishiro's original intent. I LOVE the books, and those who see the movie, I'm afraid, will never know/understand why Alita is such an incredible work of art...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Yeah, I'm not at all familiar with the source material. So, like I said, going in blind I was amazed by what was shown on screen, just let down by the story, if that makes sense.

I've just seen a few commercials for it. I don't think they needed to waste money on making the main character look anime-ish. I don't think I'll see it in theaters, but may check it out down the road. One article I read says it has to make $500 to $550 million worldwide to breakeven. It had an ok opening weekend at the box office, but I don't think it will reach that.

Master of New Adventures!
    Not anymore.

https://comicbook.com/anime/2019/02/...ening-weekend/

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Only anime fans know Alita

Saw the anime years ago and thought it was pretty good.

Want to watch this film but cannot ditch family.

So will just wait for it to come out on disc....

I watched this yesterday and really enjoyed it. I've never seen the source material so no pre-concieved notions of what should or shouldn't happen.

The plot is thin. The story jumps and feels somewhat rushed. But....

If you're a fan of sci-fi and action movies you'll love it.
    It's got enough going for it that you'll look past the weaker parts of the film and enjoy the rest.

My biggest complaint?

The ending was anti-climatic. Final battle wasn't really even a battle and then boyfriend dies. Time for revenge? Nope, end of movie. But not end of story. I'm getting tired of seeing half movies!!!

It's a fun movie and absolutely worth seeing in theaters.

Heroic Warrior
    I have seen it twice, will be seeing it a third time sometime this week. I really enjoyed it, they did a great job on Alita, the world, the special effects, and the action sequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    I have seen it twice, will be seeing it a third time sometime this week. I really enjoyed it, they did a great job on Alita, the world, the special effects, and the action sequences.
    That's one thing I forgot to mention: they did a good job of making Alita a likeable character in a very short time with limited story telling.

Regarding her look, I don't think the intent was to make her look anime-ish but instead it helped illustrate her emotions. They did a good job where I, as a viewer, was quickly rooting for her and liked her character.

Having read the original series when Viz was releasing it back in the 1990s, I knew they'd not adapt the whole thing and I adjusted my perspective accordingly.

It's a good film marred by a conclusion that really doesn't pull the story and character arcs super well.

Saw this over the weekend in IMAX and as a long time fan of the Battle Angel anime & manga, I have to say this movie exceeded expectations & was absolutely excellent! Loved it SOOOOO much!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Heroic Warrior
    Glad you liked it JafariStew.

Amentep, how would you have liked the movie to have ended?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    My wife and I loved the movie, and we hope they can make the sequel.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    My wife and I loved the movie, and we hope they can make the sequel.
    It will eat me up if they don't!

I need closure!

I saw it today, and enjoyed it. The characters were not well developed and sometimes felt very soap-opera-ish (or more-so, Mexican-equivalent of a "novela"), but that was made up by the action and Blade Runner-esque visuals. Overall, I feel it could have been really well-rounded if more time was spent on developing the human characteristic of the characters; lots of people with cybernetic limbs, and those who are introduced to it for the first time aren't phased by it at all (compare this to RoboCop). I also agree that Alita didn't need to be anime-esque, even though I understand that they were try to do something advanced with special effects; the character could have done just as well without the CGI. Everything else was cool.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX