Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to get in the game?

Widget

Is it too late to get in the game?

I have had a couple of figures from the motuc line, but I'm missing many others, you guys think it's too late to try to collect the line at this point?, thanks!

It really all depends on how much money you are willing to spend. Many of the 2014-2016 figures can still be purchased at-or-below their original price, but many figures released before that are going to cost more than their original price. Some, like Fisto and Shadow Weaver, are going to cost you over $100 loose, often $200+ MOC. If you are okay with that, then sure, it's never too late.
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Widget
    Wow thanks, didn't realize it was that much...

You'll need either a lot of money, or a lot of patience. Preferably both!
    But it's an incredible line and worth getting into for sure
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Widget
    Why are those so expensive? were they limited releases?

Court Magician
    Some of the items WERE limited release (Shadow Weaver, for instance, was a "Subscription Exclusive" figure, with none made for "Day of Sale" non-subscribers). Fisto had his own problems, with an unfortunate mix-up at the factory, limiting HIS availability, and upping his resale value. There are a few other such hiccups here and there, making this figure or that more costly than one would have expected. But all in all, the line itself is coming up on its ten-year anniversary!! The earliest figures have been "out-of-print" for years and years now, which will always affect their bottom line.

These things said, Masters of The Universe Classics remains THE High-water mark for Action Figure Collecting in my personal experience. Star Wars and Transformers have fallen by the wayside (for me), in the wake of this legendary line. As others have said, it may not be EASY, and it may not be CHEAP, but it is an awe-inducing collection of brilliant vintage figure updates and new character inclusion, folding in appearances from just about every incarnation and canon out there!
    Welcome to the fold, and Good Luck with Your Collection!
    Last edited by Lord_Slither; January 11, 2018 at 06:11pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Just do it one figure at a time. Haunt ebay, some great group lots come up from time to time. Join FB groups and you'll find some good deals there too.

It's an awesome line and well worth the effort!
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, POP Vintage Variants completed, NA Vintage completed, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Ice Armor He-Man, Skeleteen

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by serch View Post
    I have had a couple of figures from the motuc line, but I'm missing many others, you guys think it's too late to try to collect the line at this point?, thanks!
    Yeah, you are going to have a lot of ground to make up. I kind of caught the bug back in 2009 with(please don't laugh) with King Randor. Who was cool. Though I would have liked the 2003 MYP version of him. The thing was a lot of hard to get figures came back in stock with the reissues and special sales. Figures like Fisto and the Sorceress get ready to shell out some money.

It's never too late!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Widget
    If you want all the figures I'd say it's too late no matter what simply because you're coming in 10 years and hundreds of figures produced late. Even if all the figures were readily available that would be a monumental task.

This is a huge line. As such it's never too late. As others have stated you can still get most figures for a reasonable price. Hell, you can still get most figures sealed in package for a reasonable price. Just get the figures you like. That's what I do. I mainly buy the figures based on the vintage line (both MOTU and PoP) but have also branched out and purchased others simply because they were cool. I'm not trying to collect them all so I see no reason to buy a bunch of space mutants I don't care about. That would be a waste of money and shelf space for me personally. Just take it slow buying what you like. You'll have too many of them filling up your house before you know it...and you won't even have all of them, those will just be the ones you want/think are cool.

Keep in mind, Super 7 continues to produce the line and is now issuing Filmation versions of characters. The two expensive figures have already been brought up in Fisto and Shadow Weaver. I wouldn't pay $200 or $300 for a figure. I would bet that both of these characters will see a 2.0 release in the Filmation line Super 7 is currently producing. Everybody will most likely be able to own a figure of these characters in the future. It may not be a rare collectible figure from Mattel but you'll still get the figures. Also, don't pay the $100-$150 for the Sorceress with the jacked up wings. Super 7 has already done a Filmation figure of that character fixing Mattel's horrible wings. She is part of the pre-order available now at https://preorder.super7store.com/

Heroic Warrior
    If you're keen you should try, but do stay realistic about the task ahead. We're talking about 200+ figures. Even if you are happy to cut that down to a niche interest (e.g. just the figures that were MOTU figures in the 1980s), it'll still be tough.

Although some figures were reissued (single figure numbers here) and others popped up for sale more than once during the period Mattel sold them, the reality is most figures weren't available most of the time, including He-Man and Skeletor.

It's speculated that later figures were produced in slightly higher numbers, and that some factions of characters sold poorly. These factors are generally reflected now on Ebay. Bluntly, you'll be able to find a lot of the less-good figures but very few of the good ones.

I wouldn't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I'd be wary of replies that fall into the "Just go for it!" category. You do need to be aware of the odds - and cost - of success.

You can find a list of figures released during Mattel's management on my website, here at the Org and elsewhere online. All the best for your collecting.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Do you have any interest in the vintage line? Thats what i mainly collect. Ive managed to acquire most of the line apart from the crazy rare and expensive stuff. I only started a couple of years ago and managed to pick up a couple of great bulk lots. I ended up with a bunch of doubles which i sold off and got much of the expense back. I now pick up the odd classics figure when they go at a reasonable price. I only collect loose stuff too which helps. Good luck with it. Its a great hobby.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    the reality is most figures weren't available most of the time, including He-Man and Skeletor.
    But hey, there was tons of "pegwarming" Battleground Teelas, that nobody asked for.
    (the actual fan desire was redhead Teela who had been an early release and became very sought-after figure)
    He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    But hey, there was tons of "pegwarming" Battleground Teelas, that nobody asked for.
    You're right about that. I'd almost forgotten. Fortunately Super7's Ultimate Teela was a good move to address demand.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by serch View Post
    PM sent
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Is it too late to get in the game?

I didn't start collecting until 2016. I donít think itís too late for you to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Despara; June 4, 2018 at 08:15am.

Not to late at all. Get what you like,watch for deals. You will have more fun than us right now. The down time between super7 releases is long because of them being released in waves. You could get new figures every week if you wanted.

I collect Star Wars and am missing about 20 figures or so. I make a goal, I buy one figure every 2 months or so sometimes longer. The ones I need are pricey. But setting goals and limits makes it structured but still fun. But,try to keep some extra money handy at all times. When deals come up,you have to jump quick.

Another thing to do is monitor this site a few times a day. When deals happen I find the info posted here first.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

As long as you have the money, and have the space to display it all, it's never too late. None of the figures are in such short supply that you'd actually have trouble finding them, they are all pretty much readily available as long as you're willing to pay. Your best bet is to start with a core of characters you definitely want in your collection and expand from there. Look for good deals whenever you can and don't be afraid to buy loose, in my experience there have been plenty of figures who have had problems out of the package, but they also tend to be rather sturdy and robust toys and hold up well over time. Unless they are played with heavily, and adult collectibles rarely are, loose figures are good as new most of the time. That being said, don't be afraid to splurge from time to time to get something you really want. The expensive figures in the line tend to be expensive for a reason, and it's much better to have a display with all the characters you really love rather than a bunch of bargain bin rejects.

Do it, it's never too late. I've more or less just started picking up figures in the classics line and have used patience and cheeky offers to get what few figures I possess. It becomes a game in itself.
    The releases of the Ultimate Edition figures by Super 7 has made prices drop for figures such as Ram Man and the like.
    Yes a few items are silly prices but with patience and luck you can drop on bargains, the marketplace here is good start, For example I've just picked a loose Tri klops up for £25 which I consider a bargain. Now I've set my evil eyes to getting a Panthor as cheaply as I can.
    they also look awesome on display, no other Figure line gives me quite as much of the feels as MotUc, go for it.
    Super 7 please kickstart Snake Mountain

I think now is the PERFECT time to get in the game. There is a lot of older product out there that you can get for a reasonable price now thanks to the line being somewhat "dormant" now under Super7, it's not as frenzied anymore. People are looking to unload figures they have extra of.

Thanks to Super7 re-releasing main characters, a lot of other collectors are more willing to part with older duplicate figures at a better price than a few years ago.

We're in a lull right now, but if Super7 starts ramping up the figure releases, it could be tough again.

It's never too late! Like some pointed out, earlier figures will cost you. But you can get a huge chunk of MOTUC for a fair price. Especially if you just want them loose.

Plus there's the thrill of the hunt! I used to love it when I could afford to collect. I know others don't like it, but I think it's a fun part of collecting.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Heroic Warrior
    Nah its doable. I collected Classics at the beginning but sold my collection in 2014 when I got into Hot Toys. I bought a Battle Ram off Walmart.com for $40 and had preordered the Ultimates then I started hunting down the main characters. I bought Sorceress for $67 shipped, got Fisto in a lot that broke him down to $50 and Shadow Weaver has been the most expensive at $130 shipped (these were all loose). The only remaining higher priced figures are Ram Man, Tri Klops, Trap Jaw, Beast Man and Mekaneck. If you can get past those the rest come around retail (about +/- $40) the issue is there is so many and $40-$50 a fig adds up quickly but if its the only thing you're collection it shouldnt be too bad. My main advice is try to buy lots, the figures break down cheaper.

I would say that itís probably too late to build a complete collection. I make customs and Iím kinda priced out on getting even the cheapest fodder figures. Stratos used to be a ten dollar figure, now heís thirty. Itís a tough game to play.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    It's never too late!
    What he ^^^ said!

Nah, it's definitely not too late. I was all-in with the line from the moment King Grayskull was released, but had to bow out in 2010 due to losing my job. Money remained tight enough for the next few years that I couldn't really collect anything. It's still tight, but I started adding to my collection again last summer, and it really hasn't been too difficult. I'm generally able to get one figure per week on average, and I've gotten some good deals here and on Ebay. Mattel also has a store on both Walmart's website and on Ebay, and they have a couple of dozen figures for sale pretty cheap. They're mostly figures from the last 2-3 years of the line, but there are some very cool ones available!

Some of the figures are very expensive now though, as others have said. (I've basically resigned myself to never owning Fisto, one of my favorite MOTU characters, unless someone suffers a brain injury and offers him to me at a price I can actually afford.) Most are reasonably priced, though. You can also save money if you don't have to have a specific version of a character who has multiple figures. For example, the all-white Temple of Darkness Sorceress is much cheaper than the standard version, so that worked out well for me since I prefer that version of the character anyway. Several of the big-name characters have multiple figures you can choose from if the "main" version is out of your price range.