Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to get in the game?

Nice read here, I learned a lot in just a couple of minutes reading.

Now is the best time to try, the price of figures have dropped a lot in the past few months.

People are leaving and flooding the market with their collections.

The other day I sold an awesome custom comic He-Man, far far way tooooo less. I spent more money on the parts I tracked down to make him than what he sold for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152846163018

I'm still crying inside, I should have just kept him at that price. (oh well, I really hope who ever ended up with him appreciates the work that went into him.)

I have some other great customs to sell, but with this market, no way, not now.

I even sold a 200x version that didn't fare well either:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/162783729099
    (I bought brand new 200x figures to use for parts to make this guy)

And lastly, another comic custom not as cool as the first one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/152813511898

(All the auctions listed are ended)

So, yes, Jump in and take advantage of the low 2nd market prices, many are lower than when they were first released.

Go to Walmart.com, and search Masters, and pick mattel as the seller, they have some great prices right now, so does eBay (Mattel shop), and even check out GameStop they had some figures for $5 each.

Sorry, don't maen to sound bitter, but that last figure I sold bugs me, he was perfect!!! (The first auction I listed)

Have fun collecting, if you average the price out, even with the expensive ones included, and factor in original shipping, it will actually cost you less than it did us who bought each figure as they came out.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    The other day I sold an awesome custom comic He-Man, far far way tooooo less. I spent more money on the parts I tracked down to make him than what he sold for:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152846163018
    That's a damn shame! It would have gone for more if I'd known about it. I couldn't afford to pay much more than it sold for, but I would've at least driven the price up a bit with my bids! I've done plenty of customs myself over the years so this one is within my skills to do, but as you say, the price of parts can make for a very pricey figure by the time you're done. That alone puts MOTUC customs out of my price range, as I'd much rather spend the same amount of money for a few figures I want but don't have rather than buy figures for custom fodder. Any well-done custom is a steal at that price! I'm having a hell of a time just finding an extra Oo-Larr head for a decent price right now. I miss the days of cheap fodder figures from the 2002 line, heh. I never had any trouble finding extras of those for under $10 each!

I suspect that there will be a few collectors quitting the line if Super 7 starts focusing on Filmation. If that happens, some collectors may start flipping there collections, which will bring prices down and make more rarities available. I'm one of them.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    I suspect that there will be a few collectors quitting the line if Super 7 starts focusing on Filmation. If that happens, some collectors may start flipping there collections, which will bring prices down and make more rarities available. I'm one of them.
    Why flip the collection just enjoy what you built

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    I think some folks like being completists.

Others may also be running out of space. I've sold many other collections in the past to make room for my MOTUC, as well as some of my MOTUC doubles. Never thought we'd get such an extensive line.

But you make a good point. It's nice to enjoy what you collected/built.

Widget
    I'm just starting too. the cheap prices got me to buy a few. and now I see them in person...I ordered super 7 pre orders series 2. and went back through Big Bad toy store and ordered the 1st wave from super 7. hopefully one of these days I can get a he man and skelator figure.

I started collecting classics on October of 2017. As of now, I’m only missing about 14 figures, which I’m sure most of the users here could guess (Shadow Weaver, Fisto, Kobra Khan, etc), so it can be done. You can still get a bunch of them from the Mattel website, and eBay always has lots for sale, usually at a fair price. It’s obviously cheaper if you’re a loose collector, but surprisingly moc isn’t much more expensive in a lot of cases. Like others said though, it is costly and patience is a must. If I could do it this late, you can too. I wish you luck!
    Last edited by The Big Bad; January 18, 2018 at 09:11pm.

After 100+ figures??? Yeah, it might be a little late....

But, if you've got deep pockets.....
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big Bad View Post
    I started collecting classics on October of 2017. As of now, I’m only missing about 14 figures, which I’m sure most of the users here could guess (Shadow Weaver, Fisto, Kobra Khan, etc), so it can be done. You can still get a bunch of them from the Mattel website, and eBay always has lots for sale, usually at a fair price. It’s obviously cheaper if you’re a loose collector, but surprisingly moc isn’t much more expensive in a lot of cases. Like others said though, it is costly and patience is a must. If I could do it this late, you can too. I wish you luck!
    If you are talking about a complete line of all of Classics and you are only missing 14 figures..... WOW IM IMPRESSED!!

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    If you aren’t obsessed with being a completist I’d say it’s never too late. With this particular line I’ve been picking up the figures since year 1 so I am a completist now but if I wasn’t and if I was coming in late to the game I’d still be happier having a small collection than no collection at all. So just get the figures/characters you feel the strongest about and start there. If you end up only 5, or 10, deep before you find it getting too expensive then you will still have a cool small MOTU shelf to display. And if you get those top figures and then manage to keep going then, who knows, someday you might have a complete set—but if it’s a matter of cost I see no reason to let the figures you can’t afford be a reason not to enjoy the figures you could afford if you want to.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer

Heroic Warrior
    Fisto and the Sorceress you might have to pay a pretty penny for or wait for the Filmation Sorceress due out in May but Fisto goes for a lot on the secondary market.

Master of New Adventures!
    It's the things we don't do that we regret...not the things that we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    I think some people like collecting the new and exciting thing, so when they lose interest, they cash out to fund whatever new thing they're into. Not uncommon in collecting circles, people don't have unlimited space/money.

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorZartan View Post
    If you arenít obsessed with being a completist Iíd say itís never too late. With this particular line Iíve been picking up the figures since year 1 so I am a completist now but if I wasnít and if I was coming in late to the game Iíd still be happier having a small collection than no collection at all. So just get the figures/characters you feel the strongest about and start there. If you end up only 5, or 10, deep before you find it getting too expensive then you will still have a cool small MOTU shelf to display. And if you get those top figures and then manage to keep going then, who knows, someday you might have a complete setóbut if itís a matter of cost I see no reason to let the figures you canít afford be a reason not to enjoy the figures you could afford if you want to.
    Very well stated sir.... very enlightening

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cryanmchsi View Post
    Fisto and the Sorceress you might have to pay a pretty penny for or wait for the Filmation Sorceress due out in May but Fisto goes for a lot on the secondary market.
    The 3 on the 2012 line up, Fisto, Sorceress and Shadow Weaver, are really expensive. If you want those in your collection you really have to cough up some dough( I'm just glad that, Fisto for me is not like an itch that need to be scratched, I thank the toy gods for that). I'm kindly late in the game too, but I end up with 27 figures before I was able to say the collection is "satisfyingly, minimally complete", if that made sense. Of course I won't mind getting some horde trooper, and the Castle is always a dream but like I said if the collection stay as is, I'm still happy.

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    Luckily it's not a hobby like collecting coins, watches, art etc. where some pieces are so rare they rarely or never end up on the market. I'm pretty sure every figure made is available right now for purchase at some price. So If money's no object then you're in luck.

...... Of course if you want the ice blue Spirit of Grayskull or commemorative silver She-ra, then ignore the above.

'WunDar' Bread Enthusiast Afterlife07's Avatar
    Never too late.

I've said this a few times in previous posts, but I once owned every figure from the SDCC Grayskull until the last figure of 2011. Had to sell them because of my situation at the time in 2012, and I only kept 8 figures (He-Man/ Skeletor/ Hordak/ She-Ra + variants and the steads).
    And I'm talking Every. Single. Figure. Convention exclusives, sub figures, non-sub, club exclusives. All of had to go. My friends still talk about me sitting in class that first year, hitting refresh like a mad-man at noon to grab the figures.

Flash forward to late-2015. My situation is much, much better. Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claw Skeletor are about to come out, and by chance I decide to buy them. Having them in hand reminds me of why I loved this line and why I regretted selling the collection.

I have rebuilt almost everything I owned, plus dozens more. As of yesterday I completed my Classics NA collection. I have the entire vintage lineup in Classics form. I have SDCC exclusives, traveling exclusives, sub exclusives (Shadow Weaver was costly, but I found a good deal under 180). My Snake-Men are complete, my Horde collection is almost complete (missing Fighting Foe Men), my vehicles are complete. And I have my grail, Castle Grayskull. Next up is completing POP. I only have 50 or so figures left out of the 200+.

So it's not too late. Check comic shops, conventions, and even right here on the forums, there are some great sellers. You'll find some great deals, and buying in lots is much better, and don't be afraid to buy used, I prefer it since I know the condition of the item, and most sellers are collectors themselves.

Sometimes you'll have to pay a premium (like Shadow Weaver), sometimes you'll find a steal of a deal (I got Oo-lar for $15 at a convention MIB), and sometimes you'll get SUPER lucky...like my Castle Grayskull, the center piece of my entire toy collection, the most expensive item in the line, and my favorite thing I own...was free, brand new, because of a fluke.

Time and patience, and good luck! I hope you can build an entire universe!
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Well... you have to think of space you have in your house first. And then... think of the cost of the figures you want to purchase. I kinda regret collecting this late since 2015.
    On the bright side... i am grateful super 7 gave us the Ultimates. I finally have a Skeletor, Ram Man "Despite being a color variant" and Teela. He-man and Faker are considered variants to me, since i own the original Classic He-man and Faker.
    I hope Super 7 considers doing another run of all the classic in the future.
    I really really want Fisto and the rest of the OG's without paying $200 plus or more which i have no intentions of doing

Quote Originally Posted by Afterlife07 View Post
    Never too late.

I've said this a few times in previous posts, but I once owned every figure from the SDCC Grayskull until the last figure of 2011. Had to sell them because of my situation at the time in 2012, and I only kept 8 figures (He-Man/ Skeletor/ Hordak/ She-Ra + variants and the steads).
    And I'm talking Every. Single. Figure. Convention exclusives, sub figures, non-sub, club exclusives. All of had to go. My friends still talk about me sitting in class that first year, hitting refresh like a mad-man at noon to grab the figures.

Flash forward to late-2015. My situation is much, much better. Flying Fists He-Man and Terror Claw Skeletor are about to come out, and by chance I decide to buy them. Having them in hand reminds me of why I loved this line and why I regretted selling the collection.

I have rebuilt almost everything I owned, plus dozens more. As of yesterday I completed my Classics NA collection. I have the entire vintage lineup in Classics form. I have SDCC exclusives, traveling exclusives, sub exclusives (Shadow Weaver was costly, but I found a good deal under 180). My Snake-Men are complete, my Horde collection is almost complete (missing Fighting Foe Men), my vehicles are complete. And I have my grail, Castle Grayskull. Next up is completing POP. I only have 50 or so figures left out of the 200+.

So it's not too late. Check comic shops, conventions, and even right here on the forums, there are some great sellers. You'll find some great deals, and buying in lots is much better, and don't be afraid to buy used, I prefer it since I know the condition of the item, and most sellers are collectors themselves.

Sometimes you'll have to pay a premium (like Shadow Weaver), sometimes you'll find a steal of a deal (I got Oo-lar for $15 at a convention MIB), and sometimes you'll get SUPER lucky...like my Castle Grayskull, the center piece of my entire toy collection, the most expensive item in the line, and my favorite thing I own...was free, brand new, because of a fluke.

Time and patience, and good luck! I hope you can build an entire universe!
    Nice story, the best part is either you getting your situation better and restart collecting again and having the castle grayskull for free.

'WunDar' Bread Enthusiast Afterlife07's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Nice story, the best part is either you getting your situation better and restart collecting again and having the castle grayskull for free.

Thanks! Yeah there were a few tough years in there, but everything's good now. And I couldn't be happier after restarting the collection, it's why I love this hobby, it makes me feel great to see all these guys on display...now if only I had the space for all of them, haha.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Heroic Warrior
    Afterlife, that really is a great story. Thank you for the inspiration - and glad to hear things are better!

Quote Originally Posted by Afterlife07 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah there were a few tough years in there, but everything's good now. And I couldn't be happier after restarting the collection, it's why I love this hobby, it makes me feel great to see all these guys on display...now if only I had the space for all of them, haha.
    Like you I really like always seeing them, but I have no means to display them, hopefully I can so something about that, soon.

Awesome story, AFTERLIFE. That's just amazing.

I've always been a Cherry Picker out of financial necessity, but a friend on here recommended looking for loose lots, so who knows what I may be able to get down the road.

I've never been afraid of buying loose figures, plus I'm not a Completist, so the odds are good!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 4, 2018 at 10:56pm.
    Odd Man Out

Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    I'd say "go for it". As long as you've the time, the drive, the room and the money to spare, then why not? My only caveat: if using eBay, go for Buy It Now items over auctions. Nothing like having your max bid obliterated with two seconds to go by a sniper with a bid bot. Sure, you may be paying more in the long run, but the peace of mind is well worth the tradeoff, imo.
    <--- CRAZY OLD TROLLAN LADY
    Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.