Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late to get in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by serch View Post
    I have had a couple of figures from the motuc line, but I'm missing many others, you guys think it's too late to try to collect the line at this point?, thanks!
    While the prices of a few figures have soared from just a few years ago, many figures have come down in price. I'm not sure if that's from collectors bailing out after Mattel dropped the line or if it's from S7s ultimate line which could potentially reissue any sought after figure at any time. Expect for a handful of figures many are cheaper than a few years ago.

'WunDar' Bread Enthusiast Afterlife07's Avatar
    Wow, thank you guys for the kind remarks!

And Wandering Star is correcting, definitely look for Buy It Now. I've had snips happen before where I was paying the minimum because there were 0 bids, and then suddenly I was paying the full amount of my bid because of lurkers.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    I suspect that there will be a few collectors quitting the line if Super 7 starts focusing on Filmation. If that happens, some collectors may start flipping there collections, which will bring prices down and make more rarities available. I'm one of them.
    I sure hope so because I could do with some more snake men 2 packs! And maybe Ill be able to snag one of those factory aquired Battle armor fakers that are all over ebay. those things are costing nearly as much as a "legit" one still in package!

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    I'd say "go for it". As long as you've the time, the drive, the room and the money to spare, then why not? My only caveat: if using eBay, go for Buy It Now items over auctions. Nothing like having your max bid obliterated with two seconds to go by a sniper with a bid bot. Sure, you may be paying more in the long run, but the peace of mind is well worth the tradeoff, imo.
    With the Buy it now option you pay 3 times the price you pay on an auction. Most of those Buy it now prices are fake made with the only purpose of swindling people

I got into the line fairly late - the last year at Mattel as it turns out (I deny any responsibility that my starting to buy figures that year in any way influenced Mattel to drop the line ). I've managed to back track and get a lot of figures that I wanted - but some key figures are pretty pricey.

There are some collector's, like myself, that are pretty ticked off at the quality and offerings by Super 7. I, for one, have been debating selling off my collection. I'm sure I am not the only one. Be patient, there may be a lot of old figures hitting the market place.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Court Magician
    You wanna sell old good figures because new figures are bad? What's the logic behind this? OCD logic?

Quote Originally Posted by Gapudo View Post
    You wanna sell old good figures because new figures are bad? What's the logic behind this? OCD logic?
    I am bored with the hobby.
    I have bills to pay.
    They take up too much space.

And yes, I am a completist that would rather sell off a collection than have glaring holes in it.
    Last edited by Uncle Jake; February 20, 2018 at 07:43pm.
    TOP WANTS:

Heroic Warrior
    I have bills to pay.

And yes, I am a completist that would rather sell off a collection than have glaring holes in it that will never be complete.
    Curious about "glaring holes in collection". Mattel remade every vintage figure and beyond(i gues maybe NA) but whats missing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    Curious about "glaring holes in collection". Mattel remade every vintage figure and beyond(i gues maybe NA) but whats missing?
    Technically, we haven't finished any of the vintage lines, if you count the Meteorbs. We haven't seen all of the POP variants, and both New Adventures and 200X are old enough now to be declared vintage too. We're missing:

- Meteorbs
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratchin' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra
    - Clawdeen, and the rest of the POP Horses
    - the rest of vintage New Adventures
    - 200X Slime Pit Bone Warrior

Looking at his signature and going by others' wish lists there's a bunch of characters missing from various factions, some of which probably mean more to some people than others, and some who appeared a large number of times in their respective media (like Master Sebrian).
    Vintage New Adventures deserves to be finished!
    MOTUC Top Ten Super 7 wants: KAYO, Hoove, Drissi, Crystoll, Chef Allen, any Catra variant, Nocturna, Red Knight, Clawdeen (flocked), Spinwit
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon, Skystalker, Shecky

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordaiquiri View Post
    Technically, we haven't finished any of the vintage lines, if you count the Meteorbs. We haven't seen all of the POP variants, and both New Adventures and 200X are old enough now to be declared vintage too. We're missing:

- Meteorbs
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratchin' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra

Looking at his signature and going by others' wish lists there's a bunch of characters missing from various factions, some of which probably mean more to some people than others, and some who appeared a large number of times in their respective media (like Master Sebrian).
    So you're going to sell your collection because you dont have Scratching Sound Catra? An interesting perspective.

- Meteorbs
    - Starburst She-Ra
    - Scratchin' Sound Catra
    - Shower Power Catra

I get your train of thought here on having some holes and the 'completist' mentality, but I was reading over this and was genuinely curious on how you collect. Do you collect any other lines and have the same attitude? If so have you ever been able to complete a line with no holes? Most figure lines I've collected over the years always ends up having some holes somewhere. Masters classics seems to be one of the more complete lines. Is it only variants / major characters you'd need for it to feel complete? Any characters from other media? And on that note, when you started collecting did you always anticipate this many figures? I know when I started in 2009 with He-Man and Beastman, during those first few years I honestly never expected to get most everyone we've gotten in the last few years. If you would have told me we'd eventually get a Dylamug back in 2010, I would have likely not believed you. I guess I never thought we'd get this line as complete as it is.

Again I'm just genuniely curious. Not trying to insult or anything. Reading your post just made me want to know more on your mindset and how you collect.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

So you're going to sell your collection because you dont have Scratching Sound Catra? An interesting perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    I get your train of thought here on having some holes and the 'completist' mentality, but I was reading over this and was genuinely curious on how you collect. Do you collect any other lines and have the same attitude? If so have you ever been able to complete a line with no holes? Most figure lines I've collected over the years always ends up having some holes somewhere. Masters classics seems to be one of the more complete lines. Is it only variants / major characters you'd need for it to feel complete? Any characters from other media? And on that note, when you started collecting did you always anticipate this many figures? I know when I started in 2009 with He-Man and Beastman, during those first few years I honestly never expected to get most everyone we've gotten in the last few years. If you would have told me we'd eventually get a Dylamug back in 2010, I would have likely not believed you. I guess I never thought we'd get this line as complete as it is.

Again I'm just genuniely curious. Not trying to insult or anything. Reading your post just made me want to know more on your mindset and how you collect.
    Just playing devil's advocate guys, I'm not really saying "I'm through if they don't release so-and-so", and I definitely didn't want to speak for Uncle Jake.

Would I give everything up if I didn't get a particular character? No. But I have cut my collection down by 1/3 of what it was, and that was due to a combination of re-focusing on what I like the most about MOTUC and issues with display space.

The only other thing I collect on any level near MOTUC is Masterpiece Transformers, and I don't buy every single release. If there's any other lines, I tend to sample a few items (I have about 3-4 Hasbro Marvel Legends, for example).
    Vintage New Adventures deserves to be finished!
    MOTUC Top Ten Super 7 wants: KAYO, Hoove, Drissi, Crystoll, Chef Allen, any Catra variant, Nocturna, Red Knight, Clawdeen (flocked), Spinwit
    Great .org transactions: sdilks, Man-E-Toys, bigassbuzz x2, Climan, wolvie3579, air23cnhit, Jestermon, Skystalker, Shecky

New Adventures. This is why I collected in the first place.

- - - Updated - - -

Just playing devil's advocate guys, I'm not really saying "I'm through if they don't release so-and-so", and I definitely didn't want to speak for Uncle Jake.

Would I give everything up if I didn't get a particular character? No. But I have cut my collection down by 1/3 of what it was, and that was due to a combination of re-focusing on what I like the most about MOTUC and issues with display space.

The only other thing I collect on any level near MOTUC is Masterpiece Transformers, and I don't buy every single release. If there's any other lines, I tend to sample a few items (I have about 3-4 Hasbro Marvel Legends, for example).
    I focus strictly on the figures, so as cool as getting the Meteorbs would be, I feel we have the vintage figures completed. Same for POP. The variants are missing, but I have never been big on the variants. They are more like icing on the cake.

As for NA, one of the main reasons I started collecting MOTUC was when Toyguru announced that the plan was to reinterpret MOTU, POP and NA. Completing that faction is what has kept me buying and collecting all of these years. If Super 7 is going to ignore NA, then this toyline really doesn't interest me anymore.

Especially with the current ongoing QC issues.

I can't stand the Filmation look figures and although Axel's characters are great designs, I really don't want new characters. My focus has always been on getting characters from years past canon.

So to reiterate, if Wave 3 doesn't include a NA character, that's pretty much the nail in the coffin for me.
    TOP WANTS:

'WunDar' Bread Enthusiast Afterlife07's Avatar
    I would really love some more NA figures myself. Seeing Quakke in Super 7's first wave was really what encouraged me to catch up on the NA figures (Tuskador and Optikk were the hardest to track down), and I like the NA character designs in general, so I want to see more in MOTUC like Hoove, Lizorr and (hopefully if the Powers of Grayskull are kind) Sagitar.

When I was a kid I had a Too-Tall Hoove, but my brother and I had no idea who he was and what line he was from...because if I remember correctly Hoove's Too-Tall appearance didn't match his animation appearance or something, yet that figure was almost always a henchman in all our playtime adventures. I'd want a Hoove for the memories alone.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    I have bills to pay.

And yes, I am a completist that would rather sell off a collection than have glaring holes in it.
    THIS!!!!
    Happened to me during the GIJOE 25-30th anniversary. The Collectors Club picked up the line, prices skyrocketed. Quality plunged. Collection was sold.
    I can totally understand this feeling and mentality.

Court Magician
    You did it wrong. This line was made mainly for the original vintage line, from 1982 to around '87

I started collecting this line because the "goal" of MOTUC was to complete all of the vintage lines, including New Adventures. That's why I bought in. That was the main joy for me in collecting the line. Seeing the vintage figure lineups fill in as we got the new figures.

If Super 7 is turning away from New Adventures, then so is my interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dark 5cythe View Post
    THIS!!!!
    Happened to me during the GIJOE 25-30th anniversary. The Collectors Club picked up the line, prices skyrocketed. Quality plunged. Collection was sold.
    I can totally understand this feeling and mentality.
    I am not a collector that just buys random figures and throws them on a shelf. I have a ton of collections outside of "toys" and limited shelf space/room. I am particular about what I want.

Regarding action figures, I always start a collection with an end game in mind. Certain characters that I want. Lineups. If I can't complete those lineups, than I lose interest in the collection as a whole because it will always be missing this or that.

As far as Classics is concerned, I really want NA to continue and I do not have interest in the new mini comic characters or Filmation-style. So the current direction isn't very enticing for me.

Plus, if I sell off my collection, I'll gain a ton of room and make some $$ back.

Decisions, decisions.

And I know what you mean with the GI Joe 25th line. Thankfully the Club got me the last 2 Ninja Force characters I wanted.

- - - Updated - - -

You did it wrong. This line was made mainly for the original vintage line, from 1982 to around '87
    I was there in SDCC when Toyguru first explained the line and the roadmap. Completing New Adventures was always the goal, until the new "roadmap" happened.
    Last edited by Uncle Jake; February 21, 2018 at 03:57pm.
    TOP WANTS:

As far as Classics is concerned, I really want NA to continue and I do not have interest in the new mini comic characters or Filmation-style. So the current direction isn't very enticing for me.

Plus, if I sell off my collection, I'll gain a ton of room and make some $$ back.

Decisions, decisions.

Well, I would recommend just taking a break from it for a little while. You don't want to sell your collection on a whim and then regret it later. Maybe take down your display for a month or two and then you can decide if you want to put it back up or just move them out.

I'm trying to take a little bit of a break from toys, myself. Instead, I've been spending my extra money on different types of phones and tablets. I'm becoming quite addicted to touch screens. Can't stand using a mouse now, heh. Also, fewer ads on mobile. Starting to hate my desktop machine....
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Well, I would recommend just taking a break from it for a little while. You don't want to sell your collection on a whim and then regret it later. Maybe take down your display for a month or two and then you can decide if you want to put it back up or just move them out.

I'm trying to take a little bit of a break from toys, myself. Instead, I've been spending my extra money on different types of phones and tablets. I'm becoming quite addicted to touch screens. Can't stand using a mouse now, heh. Also, fewer ads on mobile. Starting to hate my desktop machine....
    Islay Single Malts and Autographed NFL cards are taking most of my fun money these days.

I have the entire MOTUC collection on display, so to take it all down just to put it back up later would be a nightmare. Nahh, if they come down, they are being sold at this point. Plus they are in my office that I've been considering subletting to a roommate, so that may play into my decision too.

The main thing is I just don't have the passion for MOTUC like I did back in the days of the Matty Subber Thermometers. Yeah, we are still getting some great new characters, but the quality is atrocious IMO. I mean, we are just now finding out that the female figures are shrunken down compared to past Mattel releases. And Super 7's response to these issues has been less than desirable.

I am ecstatic that I will finally get a Lodar figure.

But my other top wants will probably never happen: Songster, Evil Robot and any more New Adventures.

I will say this if anyone from Super 7 is reading. This all comes down to the quality of the product they are offering. If the quality remained at Mattel standards, I would probably still be "all-in subbing" without question.

But the product they are charging $35+ is substandard and not worth it.

Ironically, they will still get $$ from me if they keep producing 80's property Reaction figures that I am interested in. I'm talking about you: Ozone, Turbo and Special K!
    Last edited by Uncle Jake; February 22, 2018 at 05:36pm.
    TOP WANTS:

Court Magician
    If you didn't have this hobby, you would have a ton of money to spend! LOL. What's the point in buying 3 hundred figures and then saying "if I sell them I get money"? That means it was just impulse buying.

I was there in SDCC when Toyguru first explained the line and the roadmap. Completing New Adventures was always the goal, until the new "roadmap" happened.
    Didn't remember this, sorry. Anyway, New Adventures was a commercial failure. Wasn't too hard to imagine they wouldn't complete the series.

That's actually not true. The Classics line from the very beginning was pitched as an all encompassing property unifying everything under one common MotU banner. The STYLE was heavily influenced by the vintage line.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Court Magician
    I said "mainly". My English is not good, but I understand what it means. It's undeniable it was mainly focused on the original line. Otherwise we would have seen more New Adventures characters, don't you think?

If you didn't have this hobby, you would have a ton of money to spend! LOL. What's the point in buying 3 hundred figures and then saying "if I sell them I get money"? That means it was just impulse buying.
    The definition of "impulse" is strong spur of the moment action.

There was nothing impulsive about buying any of these figures. I knew full well what I was buying and what kind of collection I was getting into.

That was 10 years ago. Forgive me, but the priorities in my life have changed just a tad since 2008 and having a complete collection of Masters plastic is just not as important to me anymore.

You act like one is tied for life to the purchases they make. As if people must drive the same cars, wear the same clothes, live in the same homes for the rest of their lives. And more importantly, you act like people aren't allowed to change their minds.
    TOP WANTS:

That's a great point! People can change a lot in 10 years. I was mostly only collecting Nintendo and Sega 10 years ago. Wasn't really collecting any toys at all other than some Chap Mei stuff. Now, I don't collect or play any video games. Just not interested in it anymore.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai