Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is it too late to get in the game?

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    The main thing is I just don't have the passion for MOTUC like I did back in the days of the Matty Subber Thermometers. Yeah, we are still getting some great new characters, but the quality is atrocious IMO. I mean, we are just now finding out that the female figures are shrunken down compared to past Mattel releases. And Super 7's response to these issues has been less than desirable.

I am ecstatic that I will finally get a Lodar figure.

But my other top wants will probably never happen: Songster, Evil Robot and any more New Adventures.

I will say this if anyone from Super 7 is reading. This all comes down to the quality of the product they are offering. If the quality remained at Mattel standards, I would probably still be "all-in subbing" without question.

But the product they are charging $35+ is substandard and not worth it.
    Reminds me of how people now miss TG. He did drive the energy for the brand back in the Matty days. We saw how worse things got once he left. S7 is lacking that energy and first impressions are lacking. Which sucks. They have some mighty shoes to fill, lofty expecations.

And so far theyre just not doing as great as many of us hope. Its not all doom and gloom but damn, thats a lot of characters that just havent turned out well for alot of people.

I so badly want an Attack Track but what would s7 charge for it? $200 under the excuse that its made to order and a large item and who knows of the quality? Say what you will about matty, but the vehicles were all well constructed!

Well, lots of people have trimmed out unwanted figures from this line. And even the owner of He-man.org had a sell off. So no one should feel weird or irregular if they are considering selling part or all of their collection.

I would say the larger problem is that people still feel the need to be completists. Lines get way too big now a days. I'm not a completist with Aliens, Black Series, Marvel Legends... way too many figures. I just buy the ones that really pump me up. The others get left hanging on the pegs. Can't afford all of them and don't have space for all of them.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Court Magician
    The owner of this site spent a lot of money for the MOTU franchise. It's a bit different.

I mean, you're a grown adult collecting toys - are you not?? Just checking..... Plenty of people in the broader society don't understand why we are collecting toys in the first place. They view us as a curiousity at best, and pathetic at worst. This hobby has long had a stigma attached to it.

You should also realize that collectors tend to be somewhat eccentric people. Like the guy who paid one hundred thousand dollars for a Barry Bonds home run baseball. Or the guys who spend huge money on paintings by famous artists. You can get a baseball anywhere and you can get a nice painting from a no-name artist for far less. But that's just the nature of collectors. It's an atypical bunch...
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; February 23, 2018 at 09:50am.

Court Magician
    Buying a single 10 million dollar painting is completely different from hoarding plastic toys.

By the way, buying stuff is not a hobby. Building and painting GunPla is a hobby

I don't know. I look at toy collecting as a hobby. I share hunting items with my wife and son. I display it in cases. Dust it and re arange it. Anyone who sees it looks at my rooms like they are museums.

And they are. A history of toys and pop culture. A toy stats as an artists drawing. It is then sculpted by an artist. Then we can buy "prints" of them. Yes a Chinese factory made the plastic figure. But an artist created that. And each has a story to tell. Toys are not just toys. They are memories. Of childhood,of stores that are no more,friends and family who were with us when we bought them or bought them for us. I look at my collection as a hobby,as memories and art.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

It's a hobby according to the definition. "Collecting themed items and objects." Putting together a pet rock collection would count as a hobby.

Some people spend more time than others. I actively hunt for toys. I mess around with them when bored. Chat with other collectors. Do some basic customization work on occasion. Watch reviews. Check on-line for info, pics, deals. Et. Cetera.

You can certainly "buy stuff," but you can also spend a heck of a lot more time on it than that.

Iíve been thinking about this thread for a while now. I think at this point it is a fair argument that it is too late to start if the goal is to have the core central characters a reasonable price. I started collecting in Feb of 16 and I have seen figures that Iíve picked up for 25 to 30 go for 100 plus on eBay. Even at the toy shows, the prices are still climbing. Yes, there will always be those lucky moments where the seller is just not sure what they have or the occasional whole collection for sale, but those are going to get increasingly fewer and fewer. Iíve had to resort to customizing several figures to get some of the earlier releases.

Iím not trying to be a naysayer, goes into it right now from zero, needs to do so with eyes open.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancy Tun View Post
    I’ve been thinking about this thread for a while now. I think at this point it is a fair argument that it is too late to start if the goal is to have the core central characters a reasonable price. I started collecting in Feb of 16 and I have seen figures that I’ve picked up for 25 to 30 go for 100 plus on eBay. Even at the toy shows, the prices are still climbing. Yes, there will always be those lucky moments where the seller is just not sure what they have or the occasional whole collection for sale, but those are going to get increasingly fewer and fewer. I’ve had to resort to customizing several figures to get some of the earlier releases.

I’m not trying to be a naysayer, goes into it right now from zero, needs to do so with eyes open.
    I restarted late last year after selling my collection a few years ago. I bought most of the core characters at a reasonable price I just looked for lots where the figs were less per unit. The only major character Im missing are the Rokkon/Stondar two pack(and the PoP figures I chose not to buy). I even found a guy that sold me a Filmation Wave 1 set, he had all except Evil Lyn MISB for $170 shipped. It's doable you just need the extra cash and patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    I restarted late last year after selling my collection a few years ago. I bought most of the core characters at a reasonable price I just looked for lots where the figs were less per unit. The only major character Im missing are the Rokkon/Stondar two pack(and the PoP figures I chose not to buy). I even found a guy that sold me a Filmation Wave 1 set, he had all except Evil Lyn MISB for $170 shipped. It's doable you just need the extra cash and patience.
    ANY line of figures is doable if you have deep pockets and time on your side...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Serving the Universe DennyCrane's Avatar
    You can always (should you have the pockets to do so) pick up extras in a pre-order or hunt to trade for the ones you actually DO want. Trading has long been a staple of collecting.

What has become increasingly difficult is finding the figures you want not only complete, but also either unopened or mint with all packaging. I've always held the packaging as part of the art. I applaud designers that obviously care about the packaging. It saddens me when I see uninspired blah cardbacks or boxes.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    I came to the line a little late - in 2012. I got caught up then and have a complete collection. Some things that I think will help would be focusing on loose figures. And deciding what your focus is. Do you want the original MOTU figures? Do you want the Snake Men? POP? Or cherry pick what you like? I think it's never too late to start, but having realistic expectations helps. As the others have said, some figures are very expensive. If you decide that you don't want the whole collection or certain factions, then it's easier to focus on the ones that you do like and enjoy.

Honestly, I wish that was the approach I'd taken from the beginning. I have too many figures to display, and there are really only a subset that really make me smile.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    I don't know. I look at toy collecting as a hobby. I share hunting items with my wife and son. I display it in cases. Dust it and re arange it. Anyone who sees it looks at my rooms like they are museums.

And they are. A history of toys and pop culture. A toy stats as an artists drawing. It is then sculpted by an artist. Then we can buy "prints" of them. Yes a Chinese factory made the plastic figure. But an artist created that. And each has a story to tell. Toys are not just toys. They are memories. Of childhood,of stores that are no more,friends and family who were with us when we bought them or bought them for us. I look at my collection as a hobby,as memories and art.
    Very well said. I'm in the same boat, though it's with my wife and daughter.
    I've always collected Transformers and GI Joe, but it was the Masters of the Universe Classics from Mattel that really got the rest of my family into the whole collecting mindset. My wife realized the joy behind the "thrill of the hunt" when you find that piece you were looking for. The Masters were also the first toys that my daughter really got into, mainly because of the POP girls. Now we both have complete sets and a few spare opened for her to play with.
    To us, it is an "art" collection. Nothing displays better than a complete collection in the same style on glass shelves with the right lighting.

I started my collection again in January. Luckily I got most of my figures before the price spike (probably due to people getting their tax refunds). I have purchased large collections from people here, eBay, Mattel from Walmart etc. It has cost me quite a bit but I am down to my last 30 figures. If you are patient deals can be found. So anytime is a good time to start IMO.
    Help me finish my MOTU Classics collection:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...gure-Want-List

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    ANY line of figures is doable if you have deep pockets and time on your side...
    I just noticed the price spike with MOTUC. When I went on my spending spree for example Battle Cat was $55, I bought Panthor for $75(both MISB). Now Im seeing $200+ Panthor. A loose Shadow Weaver was sub $200(I bought mine for $100 shipped). The prices went up since I stopped actively hunting. I dont know what caused the price hike, maybe people were expecting S7 to reissue stuff but with the problems they are having it probably wont happen. Im just glad I went on my buying binge before this recent price spike as my collection is pretty much complete (just missing Randor, Marlena and Rokkon/Stondar) not counting the 30th anniversary stuff, various beasts, most PoP and Castle Grayskull.

I myself was surprise by how expensive classics are going especially now. I am just glad to complete my collection of classics based on the personaI choices I've set plus a couple of figures more,for me it is complete by all intent.Now I am starting Club Grayskull line again late in the game due to classics being the priority, and once again was surprised that even the lesser detailed filmation variants selling prices are starting to go up on some of the mattty wave. Now with the Super7 quality issues for their own wave 1, I am hoping that wave will be more accessible for me, but the pricing of Hordak is making me worried. I may not go to the CG completist bunch and might do again the "preference only" collection like what I did to classics.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

How to start

Hi there!

I'm new to the forum, so I hope this is the correct board to post this thread.

I have loved MOTU for years now, since I played with the original figures when I was a kid. I have been interested in starting a collection for some time, and recently I decided the moment had arrived. For nostalgic reasons, I have bought some commemorative and vintage figures. But I'm starting to think about starting a MOTUC collection. Given the high number of figures released, I don't think I will make the whole collection, I would just choose my favourites, as I can find them. However, my other approach would be to start with the Ultimates and continue buying them as they are released.

Do you think there are more ultimates coming in the future? Are the most popular characters expected to get the Ultimate treatment? Otherwise, perhaps it makes more sense start by picking my favourites from previous years and future releases.

Any idea or comment will be welcome! Thanks in advance

Heroic Warrior
    I heard no more Ultimates are planned and most of the core classics are really expensive(about $70-$100+ per fig). I would say start with Filmation but He Man and Skeletor is going to cost you up to $400. Those seem to be the only two options unless you stick with Commerative which is probably cheaper

I would sometimes with some people over the Classic Revamp.
    MOTUC is a tough one. It's not that I am impartial to vintage. It's that they can be very expensive.
    Last edited by Jaspercoyle; April 10, 2018 at 12:10am.

MOTUC, expensive when you play catch up. Reasonably priced when you started as it goes, there are major characters that are insanely priced now such Shadow Weaver, Sorceress, Fisto, if you can find them.

Widget
    I recommend starting with Filmation if that aesthetic appeals to you. You can still get the prominent characters for a reasonable price. Super 7's first wave is still in stock at BBTS and you can preorder the second wave there as well. That would mean that you would only be missing Mattel's only wave of the line. Filmation He-man and skeletor are about $200 a piece but I bet some version of them will be released in the next year or so if Super 7 wants to keep the line going. so I would hold off on those two for a bit. To tide you over, you could always get a cheaper classics body for these two and a custom cast of the Filmation heads off ebay. For many collectors, the idea of putting a higher detailed classics figure in a Filmation collection would be sacrilege, but if we can get past the OCD tendencies many of us MOTU collectors have, it really isn't a big deal.

If you want to go with classics, that is trickier as most of the more prominent characters were released years ago and have really risen in value. Focusing on classics He-man and Skeletor, there is a Chinese seller on eBay that sells He-man loose for $40. That is probably the best price you will find. For Skeletor, the best price you will find is either on a Skeletor / Mo-larr two pack (Skeletor has missing tooth in this pack) or on a keldor figure (no Skeletor head). With both of those you would probably want to find a parted out Skeletor head or a custom head.
    Last edited by zeiss; April 8, 2018 at 11:44pm.

It's true, you can find them and get lucky. Me myself, I have become obsessed with giving vintage versions a Filmation look.

That said, Classics-wise, if you look around here in the forums you'll find some people who do great 3d work on the classics series. So if you miss the 200 dollars Skeletor the great thing is you never miss the boat. There will always be a place for figures where you can pop the head off and replace.

(You anti-vintage hipsters...rabble...)
    Last edited by Jaspercoyle; April 10, 2018 at 12:11am.

Heroic Warrior Wonderbread He-Man's Avatar
    All of the figures can still be bought, if you are willing to pay the high prices they are selling for. Buying in lots is cheaper than individually, so try to look for figure lots on eBay. We don't know if he-man/skeletor will be reissued but if you wait a while maybe they will be, and I if not, I don't think their eBay prices will go much higher than they are now, if you decide to buy them later.

Thank you all for your suggestion.

For me, it's sad that there are not more ultimates planned. Perhaps, I will stick to my vintages by now, except for Ultimate He-Man and Skeletor, which I really like, in spite of their prices. Actually, the new vintage S7 line looks amazing from my POV.

Whatever you decide sir the community will support you... in terms of motu, no decision is final though.