Thread: What is the largest toy line and how does MOTUC compare (size wize) m

What is the largest toy line and how does MOTUC compare (size wize) m

With 300 figures approaching in the MOTUC line i wondered how big it is compared to the biggest. Does GI Joe hold the record?... or Barbie? Anyone know the stats?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

If I remember right from The Toys That Made Us, GI Joe has the most figures. I don't know if that's counting every incarnation of GI Joe or what. Don't know how MOTUC compares

I'm sure Lego has us beat. They have tons of figures, and many years of making them. (DC, Marvel, Star Wars, Turtles, Disney, other movies/TV shows, and even their own incarnations.)

- - - Updated - - -

I just found the number of mini lego figure.... Brace yourself

Just Star Wars Mini Lego figures alone they made 964 of them.
    Just Super Heroes they made 477
    Ninjago has 331 mini figures

Total mini figures made by Lego (not counting other types of Lego figures, just the mini ones)....

That is crazy.

I was thinking GI Joe, for whatever reason, Lego didn't even occur to me. (Despite owning hundreds of the little buggers!) Even if you restrict it to figures sold alone, rather than as inclusions with sets, the number is still easily in the high hundreds, at least! Even the blind-bagged CMF series alone has MOTUC beat.

I personally would not included mixed media lines like Lego or Pop Vinyls. When someone says “toy line” I think of property specifics lines.

Heroic Warrior
    I would think Star Wars would hold that record. Second maybe Barbie...or Barbie first, SW second?

Eastern Asian has a number of toy lines that have gone on for decades.
    And like He-Bro pointed out, LEGO has a place on the mountain that will be hard to climb to. Same for Barbie and Hot Wheels. And like Bjjer said, Star Wars is up there for the 3.75" format.

So I think it's good to limit it to being a USA-released line, and action figure.
    Otherwise, there's a lot of competition for longest running toy.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

We could just limit it to line that have the words "Masters of the Universe" in title

But really it would be fairer to limit it to 5.5 or larger figures as smaller figures are easier to produce and sell.

I do not count lego. Or things like Playmobile. Action figure lines, and yeah, I know there is room for argument on what constitutes "action figure" but I do not care. Also as an U.S.American I am only considering toylines availible here.

At any rate even under those stipulations Star Wars, G.I. Joe, and Transformers have had so many toys, all the MOTU together are probably FAR smaller a toyline.

Heroic Warrior
    I think a better question might be 'How does MOTUC compare to other action figure lines that have had the same packaging design over the course of the series?'
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, POP Vintage Variants completed, NA Vintage completed, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Ice Armor He-Man, Skeleteen

Overall it's a good sized line for sure, but as many have pointed out some of the bigger lines (Star wars, Transformers, GIJoe, etc...) has it beat.

When you bring in 'that's had the same packaging' that can be a tough subject. Does that then exclude filmation figures then? What about lines like Transformers where the packaging has been basically the same for the that three lines, only with different titles. Would they be considered the same or not?
    Would every Star Wars 3 3/4 line then be counted as different lines since their packaging is different? What about older Marvel Legends vs. newer ones? They have different packaging but are all one line.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by jjhuehn View Post
    With 300 figures approaching in the MOTUC line i wondered how big it is compared to the biggest.
    I feel like it's a little premature to state that Classics is "approaching" 300 figures. My calculation puts us about 50-60ish figures away from attaining that number, including the latest Super7 preorders for the Dylamug Collector's Choice Wave and the Sorceress Filmation Grayskull wave. I certainly hope we can get to that 300 number, though, but it will mean that Super7 will need to make many more waves over several more years, which will be awesome if it happens!
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Heroic Warrior
    The interesting question would be which toyline has the most unique characters. Barbie has a high count, but it's mostly just Barbie over and over. Star Wars would be similar—lots of Lukes and Hans and Leias—though they also have a lot of unique ones as well.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

GI Joe or Star Wars, if we count all iterations.

Ive NEVER thought of Lego as action figures, they are building toys IMO
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Heroic Warrior
    all is right. all is wrong.

each one has it's own unique claim.

got to find your own angle. your own gimmick.

maybe you can compare line "x" to line "y". maybe you can't. maybe you shouldn't

this topic reminds of, and IN MY OPINION no different, what WWE refers to their Monday night show as....the longest running weekly episodical show. think I got that right. boasting more shows than the simpsons and gunsmoke.

I think it's a big enough field that everyone can have claim or bragging rights to it.

Personally I give it to Lego for best/most use out of their brick molds.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    Overall it's a good sized line for sure, but as many have pointed out some of the bigger lines (Star wars, Transformers, GIJoe, etc...) has it beat.

When you bring in 'that's had the same packaging' that can be a tough subject. Does that then exclude filmation figures then? What about lines like Transformers where the packaging has been basically the same for the that three lines, only with different titles. Would they be considered the same or not?
    Would every Star Wars 3 3/4 line then be counted as different lines since their packaging is different? What about older Marvel Legends vs. newer ones? They have different packaging but are all one line.
    The Transformers and Star Wars sub series' should be counted as different lines, IMHO. I'd be comparing MOTUC with Transformers Masterpiece or Star Wars Black lines. But that's just me.
    Wanted in MOTUC: Masks of Power Demons, Prince Dakon, Vintage Attack Trak, POP Vintage Variants completed, NA Vintage completed, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Ice Armor He-Man, Skeleteen

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    What about older Marvel Legends vs. newer ones? They have different packaging but are all one line.
    See I don't personally count those as the same line. The Hasbro ML is different to the Toybiz line to me... Different packaging, different styling, different articulation, and they're re-doing most of the figures that ToyBiz released.
    If Super7 had taken the MOTUC license and started releasing entirely new sculpts of the core characters on new packaging, would we have considered it a continuation of the line? I wouldn't have.

Anyway, yes, MOTUC is wonderfully huge. Outsiders are amazed how deep the line runs.
    Aren't we closer to 200 figures than 300 though?
    I am an illustrator, please check out my work:

www.lukespicer.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fright Zone View Post
    See I don't personally count those as the same line. The Hasbro ML is different to the Toybiz line to me... Different packaging, different styling, different articulation, and they're re-doing most of the figures that ToyBiz released.
    If Super7 had taken the MOTUC license and started releasing entirely new sculpts of the core characters on new packaging, would we have considered it a continuation of the line? I wouldn't have.

Anyway, yes, MOTUC is wonderfully huge. Outsiders are amazed how deep the line runs.
    Aren't we closer to 200 figures than 300 though?
    I actually have no idea what the official count for MOTUC is. I thought i heard somewhere that 300 was the next big milestone. That could totally be wrong though. Does anyone know the official number?

Quote Originally Posted by jjhuehn View Post
    I actually have no idea what the official count for MOTUC is. I thought i heard somewhere that 300 was the next big milestone. That could totally be wrong though. Does anyone know the official number?

It gets complicated depending on how you decide to count things. If you count every release as 1 (meaning Star Sisters, Fighting Foe Men, Comet Warriors, Power Con Packs, etc each count as 1), then you get roughly around 230-ish. If you count every single item, meaning the Star Sisters pack counts as 3 figures, the Horde Trooper 2 pack counts as 2, etc, you probably get closer to 250. And then there is the question, do you count the Ultimates re-release of He-Man, Skeletor, etc, as seperate from the original releases? And to go further, does the first release of He-Man count as 1, and then the re-release with the "The Original" burst count as one, and then the Ultimates version aslo count as 1? If you are doing that kind of math, then you probably are getting pretty close to 300 at that point. Do you count vehicles, playsets, weapons paks as figures?

I would say that we can pretty confidently say we are over 200 at this point, but how close or far from 300 we are gets fuzzy. In my personal view, though, we are still a decent amount away from 300.
    Most wanted: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) Masks of Power Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha, 21) Stridor, 22) Uncle Montork & Dree-Elle, 23) ABC Giants

Hollywood Warrior InspectorZartan's Avatar
    All of what I am about to say is just educated guess work but here are my guesses (I'm sure someone could look this up or put in the effort to actually count all these--but where is the fun in that )

As far as action figure lines I would think it has to be GI Joe--both in terms of number of figures and having a largest number of vehicles and playsets. If you consider each restart or repackaging for a brand as a separate line I still can't imagine anything coming close to the 1982-1994 run of GI Joe. If you add all the different iterations of lines together (i.e. count all the action figure rebrandings of Star Wars from vintage Kenner to Power of the Force to Clone Wars to 3-3/4" Black Series, etc.) then maybe Star Wars would start to narrow the gap but my guess would be it would still be GI Joe. I mean right now GI Joe is considered "on hiatus" and yet even during hiatus via official club and convention releases we're still getting like 40 or 50 new figures each year + a handful of vehicles (which would be impressive even if it were a non-hiatus year for most toy properties). As far as the 3-3/4" lines go that is as much or more as we're getting for any 3-3/4" line of Star Wars and that's a brand in the middle of a hot streak (granted 6" Star Wars is the hot line for Star Wars right now, but it's too new to be in the running for any records at the moment). If you wanted to count which toy-line has the most unique characters then I think it would still be GI Joe since really in that original 1982-1994 run there were relatively few variants on average. New media is starting to expand the number of Star Wars characters a little bit but that's still a very distant 2nd.

So I think when it comes to action figure toy-lines GI Joe probably holds most of the "size" records. (at least for U.S. toylines--but as Val said there could be international lines I personally don't know about that blows all this out of the park).

It would be interesting to see how Barbie stacks up in all this. Obviously there wouldn't be a ton of characters since 90% of the dolls released in the Barbie line are in fact Barbie herself but there has been so many Barbie variants over the decades I could certainly see that being potentially in the running with GI Joe and Star Wars. If you count every Dreamhouse repackage and redesign released as a new playset it would surely take the playset record hands down.

So I'd say GI Joe, Barbie, and Star Wars would probably be the ones to look at to see who really comes out on top. Transformers obviously has a lot too but I'm guessing runs way, way behind those 3. So at most I would place Transformers as a distant 4th in terms of "size".

Going back to looking at MOTU and Classics and where it fits in:

As far as modern era action figure lines Classics is the most impressive in my eyes having 10 years under it's a single umbrella (while in this same era Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformers have all rebranded every couple of years), but in terms of "size" it probably gets beat by a couple of other modern era toy lines like 6" Marvel Legends, and WWE figures--I'm pretty confident the number of releases of those lines probably beats out Classics (but do any of them have a Castle Grayskull--no). I also don't know enough about the specifics of how many My Little Pony figures were getting released each year to know where it fits in but I'm guessing it's probably in a similar ball park as WWE and Marvel Legends.

For modern era stuff without doing any actual counting but just eyeballing the size of these collections I would guess both the modern era Ninja Turtles and the 3-3/4" Marvel Universe lines are in the ballpark of MOTU Classics--can't call it on exactly what order each of those 3 would rank but they're probably pretty close together in the rankings but falling behind all the other ones mentioned above. Of those 3 modern era toylines (MOTU Classics, MU, and TMNT) I'm going to guess MU and MOTU Classics beats modern line TMNT in terms of number of figures but TMNT beats the other 2 on vehicles and playsets (although all 3 have at least one giant playset to brag about).

Any brands/lines I'm forgetting? I know Power Rangers has obviously had a long run, and Monster High and Bratz had a huge impact but not being a fan/collector of those I can't speak to the actual scale of any of it's toy-lines. My instinct however is while those are bigger than Classics in terms of modern era sales they are probably smaller in terms of size of the line. DC Classics might be worth a modern era honorable mention but in terms of size would be behind everybody else in every category.

As far as Lego goes--Lego is an extremely impressive company and cool toy style but as others have said not sure if that counts as a toy line as much as a style of toys produced by a specific company. Counting all lego figures as one toy line would kind of be the same as counting all action figures (regardless of brand) or all dolls (regardless of brand) as one toy line. Ditto for POPs. But if you count just Lego Star Wars then that could certainly be up there by itself. I'd guess it would still fall behind the top 3 I mentioned above but maybe that would be a smarter guess for 4th place over Transformers--not sure.
    Last edited by InspectorZartan; January 26, 2018 at 09:57pm.
    TOP WANTS
    TROLLA:DreeElle/Montork/Oracle/Gorpo
    FILMATION:Kittrina/Malektha/Twiggets/RedKnight
    200X:Miro/Hawke/Illumina/BoneWarrior/ABCGiants
    NA:Nocturna/Sagitar/Kayo/Lizzor/Hoove/Vizar/
    Butthead/Artilla/Spinwit/Staghorn
    JETLAG:Sebrian/Andros/Drissi/Gleep/UR
    MISC:Delora/MOPDemons/LtAndre/EvilRobot/Damon
    BEASTS:Clawdeen/Storm/Bionotops/Mantisaur/
    TyrantisaurousRex/Moonbeam/Sundancer