Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Toys R Us Store Closure list......AND there's A LOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mer-Man's Minion View Post
    I'm still waiting to hear why superhero movies are called "tentpole themes"?

And it's very surprising to hear superhero movies are now underperforming? What about Wonder Woman? Black Panther?
    I think he meant that toy licenses based on "tent pole" movies haven't been as dominant a force in the past few years as it was maybe 15 years or more ago.

And it's very surprising to hear superhero movies are now underperforming? What about Wonder Woman? Black Panther?
    I think he's just referring to the toy sales for those movies. You know like how back in the day a cartoon would come out and we'd rush to the stores hoping to find the toys. Not so much the case anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    I think he meant that toy licenses based on "tent pole" movies haven't been as dominant a force in the past few years as it was maybe 15 years or more ago.
    Haha I responded without having seen your response. My bad. I got distracted by some of the ridiculousness on the previous page.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    https://gideonsway.wordpress.com/201...entpole-movie/

The tentpole movie is as close to a sure fire hit that can reasonably be predicted by various parameters such as similar films, talent, release date, theme and audience.

Tentpole is a studio term that relates to risk allocation. Studios try to spread their financial risk across their entire slate since roughly one in ten films actually returns a profit. The designated tentpole movie is designed to carry less financial risk than the rest of the film slate to return an overall profit to the studio.

Given that successful tentpole films must generate around $1 billion in global box office receipts off production and P&A budgets of $200 to $300 million, they must be exhibited in theaters all year long (wide theatrical window), they must appeal to a four quadrant audience (men, women, boys and girls) and contain universal and culturally relevant themes.

Not all superhero movies are "tentpole" films, only certain ones.

I'm not sure where you got this information from but the only superhero movies that are underperforming are the bad ones...
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Toys R Us is-sadly-a relic in 2018. I honestly don't know if there was ever a way to save it.

No, there wasn't. As you said, kids have other forms of entertainment in this day and age besides physical toys that they can hold in their hands. I didn't have that. I spent all my time as a kid playing with my figures because there wasn't much else.

And their business model was no longer workable. You can't have stores that size that are so reliant on holiday sales in this day and age. The operational costs are too high to keep such a large store open. You have to carry things people buy frequently, toilet paper, razor blades, aspirin, bottled water, socks, garbage bags, etc. Even dollar stores do that -- just in micro quantities compared to places like Kmart, Target, Walmart, Etc.

Now, Babies 'R Us I'm not familiar with. I don't think I've ever gone into one and I don't know a whole lot about babies. I'm wondering what impact that was having on their sales.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Heroic Warrior
    Great memories, everyone. And, I agree that the viability of TRU is long past.

IMHO the heyday of TRU was the '80's. I remember going into the store & seeing a plethora of SW, MOTU, and G.I. Joe: ARAH toys as far as the eye could see (or at least that's what it seemed like - LOL). Kids like me who grew up during that time didn't have access to multiple TV/streaming channels, the Internet, multiple video game platforms, etc. - so it stood to reason that they would be more into playing with toys.

What's interesting is that back in the day, I don't remember TRU having a big section devoted to clothes/diapers for babies/toddlers, though it was there. IIRC they did have a limited video game selection as well, but it wasn't that big.

So, at that time I suspect they made most of their $ on toy sales.
    Last edited by man-e-faces; March 13, 2018 at 04:46pm.

Hang in there, Bow! Mer-Man's Minion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I think he's just referring to the toy sales for those movies. You know like how back in the day a cartoon would come out and we'd rush to the stores hoping to find the toys. Not so much the case anymore.

Haha I responded without having seen your response. My bad. I got distracted by some of the ridiculousness on the previous page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    https://gideonsway.wordpress.com/201...entpole-movie/

The tentpole movie is as close to a sure fire hit that can reasonably be predicted by various parameters such as similar films, talent, release date, theme and audience.

Tentpole is a studio term that relates to risk allocation. Studios try to spread their financial risk across their entire slate since roughly one in ten films actually returns a profit. The designated tentpole movie is designed to carry less financial risk than the rest of the film slate to return an overall profit to the studio.

Given that successful tentpole films must generate around $1 billion in global box office receipts off production and P&A budgets of $200 to $300 million, they must be exhibited in theaters all year long (wide theatrical window), they must appeal to a four quadrant audience (men, women, boys and girls) and contain universal and culturally relevant themes.

Not all superhero movies are "tentpole" films, only certain ones.
    Ahaaa, thank you BJH...I had never before heard of a "tentpole" movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I'm not sure where you got this information from but the only superhero movies that are underperforming are the bad ones...
    It was Prince Adam's Dad's statement "Then you add that the "tentpole" themes (movies like Avengers, Spider-Man, Cars, Justice League, Star Wars, etc) have under performed in recent years". Perhaps I misunderstood him though and he meant the toylines for those movies, not the movies themselves.
    Welcome to The She-Ra Photo Museum! Thousands of screencaps from Filmation's classic 1980's toon! For the Honor of Grayskull!

Muppet fans, if you like Janice of The Electric Mayhem, check out: Janice: "Fer sure!"

Quote Originally Posted by man-e-faces View Post
    What's interesting is that back in the day, I don't remember TRU having a big section devoted to clothes/diapers for babies/toddlers, though it was there. IIRC they did have a limited video game selection as well, but it wasn't that big.

So, at that time I suspect they made most of their $ on toy sales.
    Oh man, let me tell you, the electronics section at mine was almost my favorite spot in the entire store! The layout for our had you walk in and go past a lot of candy, cheaper brand toys, and pool stuff. But when you got around the corner it was Lego's. Turn left to head up towards the toys and you went past a aisle length long glass display with all type of electronics. I remember this well because for the longest time, at the beginning of the isle, was the Omnibot 2000 which I obsessed over for years

There were all types of electronic games and mid 80's Nintendo was huge at my store. The baby section was towards the front right side of the store and was pretty big even when I was a kid.

There was never a Toys 'R Us in my area, so I won't miss it. I just remember the commercials. With Amazon the way it is, I'm surprised how many places can stay in business, especially small downtown stores.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    • IF HARMONY IS THE KEY, THEN WHAT THE FRICK IS THE LOCK?
    • Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated; occasionally funny.
    When you're done laughing, visit the store!

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    This sucks

Quote Originally Posted by KidTDragon View Post

I just saw that splashed on the yahoo main page. Sad to see it go. The end of another (use to be) giant of the toy industry.
    Video games don't affect kids. If they did we all would be running around repetitively in darkened rooms munching magic pills.

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Wow---end of an era....

Toys R Us Store Closure list......AND there's A LOT!!!

That really sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Despara; June 4, 2018 at 10:53pm.

Another report....

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...222452515.html

All of the signs were there:

-Kids growing up much faster these days...
    -New electronic gadgets to fill their interests...
    -Online ease and accessibility...
    -Prices much higher than when we were children...
    -Etc, etc..

Still, it doesn't make it any easier to see such an icon go by the wayside... sure, there are things that all of today's kids will reflect on with joyful memories, but nothing like the first time we got to walk down the aisles of a store that ONLY SOLD TOYS!!

Even if you left the TRU without the "perfect" toy, or any toy at all, it's just the experience that hits the sweet spot... I remember being taken there with mom and grandma and thinking I was the luckiest kid in the world. (Starting to tear up again...)

Anyway, we all should remember how fortunate we are to have been living during a time that was, in essence, the action-figure renaissance. I will miss Toys R' Us immensely.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    My brain keeps singing a "revised" version of the song that it made up: "I don't want to grow up because if I Did, there wouldn't be a Toys R US (kid)!" Sadly I guess whether we wanted to or not, we all grew up

This is depressing as this is it, the end of the great American toystore. There are no more toy chains nationwide. Sure there are independent stores but still

I (and most of us in general) have seen them all go: Child World/ Children's Palace, Lionel PlayWorld, F-A-O Schwarz (which is back in NY but only sells in house toylines), Kaybee, and so many others. Not to mention the non toy specific stores Phar-Mor, Service Merchandise, COMP USA, Borders, WaldenBooks, Woolworth, and so many more. They are all missed and now TRU will be as well. So sad.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/

I'm Bacccck!

I hate this.... All those poor folks losing their jobs. Just terrible...
    GIMME TOYS!-

Tiny bit of hope:

A group of toymakers led by Isaac Larian, chief executive of MGA Entertainment, the giant behind brands such as L.O.L. Surprise!, Little Tikes and Bratz, on Wednesday submitted a bid to buy Toys R Us’s Canadian arm, which includes 82 stores, according to Larian. He added that he is also looking into buying as many as 400 U.S. stores, which he would seek to operate under the Toys R Us name.

“There is no toy business without Toys R Us,” Larian said, noting that he sold his first product to the chain in 1979. “It’s a big deal and I’m going to try to salvage as much of it as possible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4170ff8b585

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Tiny bit of hope:

A group of toymakers led by Isaac Larian, chief executive of MGA Entertainment, the giant behind brands such as L.O.L. Surprise!, Little Tikes and Bratz, on Wednesday submitted a bid to buy Toys R Us’s Canadian arm, which includes 82 stores, according to Larian. He added that he is also looking into buying as many as 400 U.S. stores, which he would seek to operate under the Toys R Us name.

“There is no toy business without Toys R Us,” Larian said, noting that he sold his first product to the chain in 1979. “It’s a big deal and I’m going to try to salvage as much of it as possible.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.e4170ff8b585
    All the fingers and toes are crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    All the fingers and toes are crossed!
    Me too!!

Someone else mentioned lack of interactivity and other ideas that would increase business sales. I hope a new owner might make that happen.

"I like Santa!" Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm not going to hold my breath, but it would be awesome if this pans out.

Like many, I feel bad for the jobs that will be lost. Unlike many here, I never spent a lot of time there. Still, I suppose for many it's like hearing an old friend has passed away.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Always looking around, but never looking up, I'm so double-minded. A plank-eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided."
    -Casting Crowns, "Jesus Friend of Sinners"

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, the worst part about this is all of the people losing their jobs. However, that last article posted here gives us some hope. I wonder if the brand can be salvaged?! If so, a complete revamping will need to be done. I don't know a whole lot about what it takes to run a successful business, but this may help:

1) If the store is to survive, they will obviously need to have a heavy online presence. I know they do already, but it will need to be revamped & revitalized to compete with Amazon, Target, etc. As it stands, I've never ordered anything from TRU online. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't if they offered competitive prices, free shipping for orders over a certain amount (like Amazon), etc.

2) I don't see the brick & mortar stores surviving as they stand right now. For one thing, they're too big. They will probably need to close down some stores & open up smaller stores, and offer more specialized product(s) - at least when it comes to toys.

3) Going along with the above, we all know that many people who collect toys these days are adults (like many of us on this site), not kids. So, to survive I believe that they would need to offer more niche/collectible toys than they have been up to this point. I.e., the types of specialized toys that you may see in Comic specialty shops, Barnes & Noble, etc. Sure, you see some of that in TRU stores already, but the selection/product will need to be increased to get people to shop there (either online or in the store).

4) Offer more than just toys in the stores & online. They're already doing that to a great extent (Babies R' Us, etc.), but they will need to ramp it up - big time.

In any case, time will tell what will happen here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    All of the signs were there:

-Kids growing up much faster these days...
    -New electronic gadgets to fill their interests...
    -Online ease and accessibility...
    -Prices much higher than when we were children...
    -Etc, etc..

Still, it doesn't make it any easier to see such an icon go by the wayside... sure, there are things that all of today's kids will reflect on with joyful memories, but nothing like the first time we got to walk down the aisles of a store that ONLY SOLD TOYS!!

Even if you left the TRU without the "perfect" toy, or any toy at all, it's just the experience that hits the sweet spot... I remember being taken there with mom and grandma and thinking I was the luckiest kid in the world. (Starting to tear up again...)

Anyway, we all should remember how fortunate we are to have been living during a time that was, in essence, the action-figure renaissance. I will miss Toys R' Us immensely.
    Well put, well said! It was more than just online stores like Amazon that put TRU out of business. A huge part of this was also that kids just don't play/collect toys these days - like we did years ago.

Like a lot of folks on here, I grew up during the greatest era of toys - i.e., the '80's. MOTU, Star Wars, G.I. Joe: ARAH, Transformers, Thundercats, etc. were all great. As a kid during that time, I was never able to collect everything I wanted (due to limited funds - LOL), but it was a real treat to go to the store & look around - and see all of the things I WANTED to get Also, I typically would get at least several toys during my visits there, which weren't that often. And, as you said, the toys were relatively inexpensive those days so they were a lot more affordable.

The lack of TRU is going to have a huge ripple effect on the toy industry. I think that a lot of people are under the impression that it's just them and O well I didn't go there any more any way, but it will also cause companies to scale back production on so many SKUUS as well as possibly going under themselves.

Companies NEEDED a place like to TRU to showcase their product especially when launching a new brand. Without that, how many people are just gonna stubble across stuff on-line and decide to buy it? The hardcore guy that follows this stuff sure, he's always in the loop, but the casual buyer? Big trouble. I even see juggernauts like Amazon taking a hit as TRU was their showroom.

Just think about it, where else can you for the most part get this stuff any more these days? Walmart, Target and they carry what? 10-20% if you're lucky of what TRU had. TRU had so many obscure and a larger variety of even the biggest brands that Walmart and Target just don't have.

Lego for instance is gonna take a massive hit. As great as the web may be for buying, it's also a cluster of you know what at the same time. It can really be a pain to shop for a multitude of reasons when you don't know what you're looking for and just want to browse.

The lack of physical store exposure for so much of this stuff will certainly be the nail in the coffin.