Thread: Concept and ideas from NA ca. 1987/88

Heroic Warrior

Concept and ideas from NA ca. 1987/88

I once saw pics.

They had ideas like a soldier he man and many more. Before they send him into space.

Any one have pics or infos?

Those are featured in Power & Honor foundation's catalog.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Heroic Warrior
    Thanks

Do you have pics?

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Thanks

Do you have pics?
    The user on this youtube channel basically shows the pages from the book.

NA stuff starts around 11:56 mark.

He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

btw, thank goodness they didn't go forward with that military pitch insanity.

The bear was cool thou

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    btw, thank goodness they didn't go forward with that military pitch insanity.

The bear was cool thou
    I'm the one person that would love a H.E/M.A.N. figure in the Classics line.

But what I *really* want is that weird eyeball creature on the first page of the actual NA stuff. Wild.
    MOTUC Wishlist: Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Andros, Monstroid, the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post

But what I *really* want is that weird eyeball creature on the first page of the actual NA stuff. Wild.
    Me too! Gotta revisit the book one of these days

Heroic Warrior
    i read that filmnation was going to do the series first.
    is there conceot art?

is there conceot art?
    Yes, here is some: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1305...3138399744259/

Heroic Warrior
    thanks thanks thanks

Heroic Warrior
    Just saw this from you- what a great look at some NA concept art!! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    The user on this youtube channel basically shows the pages from the book.

NA stuff starts around 11:56 mark.

https://youtu.be/IBRzw2lDY50?t=11m56s
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE

Heroic Warrior
    Lol the skeletrix looks great.

Skeletors sister

Master of New Adventures!
    Are you Madison Carter the television reporter/news anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post

is there conceot art?
    I REALLY wish Filmation had done the series. Don't get me wrong, I think Jetlag did a decent job. But to have had the producers of the first series make the new one would have sold a lot more kids on NA.

The transformations of the new looks of He-Man and Skeletor would have been more palatable to those who were so turned off by it. There would have been a stronger sense of continuity. They even could have used old, familiar Eternia designs for the first episode when He-Man and Skeletor leave Eternia for Primus.

Most notably, I think the backgrounds and music would have been far superior to what Jetlag produced. The animation would have been more limited, yes, but Filmation was improving in that area with each successive show. The animation in Bravestarr was much improved over He-Man.

I know this show was probably being pitched around the time that Filmation was being sold and, unbeknownst to Lou and the rest of the staff, were going to close their doors shortly after. Not sure if that is what caused, or forced, Mattel to look at other companies to animate it. Perhaps if they had gotten the ball rolling just a little bit sooner, Filmation could have made the 65 NA episodes, and stayed in business for a little bit longer. And also have hired on Jack as a staff writer for the series!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I REALLY wish Filmation had done the series. Don't get me wrong, I think Jetlag did a decent job. But to have had the producers of the first series make the new one would have sold a lot more kids on NA.

The transformations of the new looks of He-Man and Skeletor would have been more palatable to those who were so turned off by it. There would have been a stronger sense of continuity. They even could have used old, familiar Eternia designs for the first episode when He-Man and Skeletor leave Eternia for Primus.

Most notably, I think the backgrounds and music would have been far superior to what Jetlag produced. The animation would have been more limited, yes, but Filmation was improving in that area with each successive show. The animation in Bravestarr was much improved over He-Man.

I know this show was probably being pitched around the time that Filmation was being sold and, unbeknownst to Lou and the rest of the staff, were going to close their doors shortly after. Not sure if that is what caused, or forced, Mattel to look at other companies to animate it. Perhaps if they had gotten the ball rolling just a little bit sooner, Filmation could have made the 65 NA episodes, and stayed in business for a little bit longer. And also have hired on Jack as a staff writer for the series!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    I'm on much the same page: Writing is great (thanks Jack!), animation was a step in the right direction (even if filmation was improving), but the character designs, and also the loss of some key heroes and villains caused me to dismiss it as "not really He-man" when I was young. It also suffered from a really strange time-slot in my area, only showing early in the morning, and was up against some fierce competition from other cartoons on other channels (and we only had 9 channels...).
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Heroic Warrior
    Anyone know more about skeletrix,
    Skeletors sister?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamside View Post
    I'm on much the same page: Writing is great (thanks Jack!), animation was a step in the right direction (even if filmation was improving), but the character designs, and also the loss of some key heroes and villains caused me to dismiss it as "not really He-man" when I was young. It also suffered from a really strange time-slot in my area, only showing early in the morning, and was up against some fierce competition from other cartoons on other channels (and we only had 9 channels...).
    I think that if Filmation had done it we would have been spared some of the worst of the NA's mistakes (Scientists, poor characterization of Skeletor) and most importantly we would have John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer reprising their roles which would have gone a long way to making the show feel more connected.

Quote Originally Posted by themodrenman View Post
    I think that if Filmation had done it we would have been spared some of the worst of the NA's mistakes (Scientists, poor characterization of Skeletor) and most importantly we would have John Erwin and Alan Oppenheimer reprising their roles which would have gone a long way to making the show feel more connected.
    As a kid, that "connection" was really next to non existent, which i clearly remember how easily a dismissed NA.

Kinda cool to think if filmation able to do it, the possibilites seems pointing to more success than what it's able to reach imho.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    I dont see N.A. as a continuation from the 80s MOTU.
    It's a own story, a reboot lets say.

Totally Dyslexic
    I dont see N.A. as a continuation from the 80s MOTU.
    It's a own story, a reboot lets say.
    It is a continuation and Mr Olesker who wrote the NA cartoon bible and many scripts for the show intended for the series to return to Eternia for the next season... which never happened.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Quartzara(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

On the vintage French He-man NA card (the one with the Free cassette) I never understood why but it is written in french "He-man, l'heir to Musclor" (Musclor = French name of He-Man)
    When I saw it as a kid I thought from the begining that the hero was not the real He-Man but its heir.

When I seen figures surfaced on the market I was so disapointed by what Mattel did with the license (too much futuristic toys, the body of the figurines not muscular enough, the look of He-Man too metamorphosed etc etc) it's only when I became an adult that I learned to appreciate this toyline.

In my own storyline Motu stopped when He-man was ready to travel on Preternia.

Wasn’t there Filmation promo art for NA prior to Jetlag??
    Danielsan52

HELP! The Devil's in my Car!!
    The B-52's

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    Wasn’t there Filmation promo art for NA prior to Jetlag??
    From James Eatock's CEREAL:GEEK

"Masters of Space" [1989]

He-Man & She-Ra fan and contributor to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

awesome artwork !

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    From James Eatock's CEREAL:GEEK

"Masters of Space" [1989]

https://scontent-arn2-1.xx.fbcdn.net...32&oe=5CF42CD5
    Imho Filmation really makes it looks better

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!