View Poll Results: What is most important to you when buying a new MOTUC figure?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Price.

3 4.00%
  • The plastic/materials used.

3 4.00%
  • Packaging.

1 1.33%
  • Paint applications.

9 12.00%
  • Articulation.

2 2.67%
  • Accuracy to the source material.

8 10.67%
  • Sculpt.

23 30.67%
  • The era/faction on which it is based.

14 18.67%
  • Accessories.

0 0%
  • Other (explain)...

12 16.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is most important to you when buying a new MOTUC figure?

What is most important to you when buying a new MOTUC figure?

There has been a lot of debate and discussion going on these boards for the past year or so. It got me thinking about my favorite MOTUC moments and the figures that I associate with the word "quality."

Now that we are on the verge of a new era in the long-running MOTUC line of figures, I am curious to see what is the most important factor, to those here on the .org, when buying a new figure - or wave of figures - in the He-Man pantheon of figures.

I know that it is truly a combination of multiple factors that go into creating a successful line of figures, but in this poll, you can choose only the one single factor you absolutely hold higher than all others. Then, tell us why you chose this one over the rest in the thread below!
    Last edited by Ornclown; February 1, 2018 at 11:00pm.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

As the first to vote, I feel it is my duty to give an articulated response.

I voted for "the era or faction on which it is based."

For me, I've come to love the concept that is Classics. The MOTUC line, as an amalgamation of factions and eras, has been a dream come true for me. I've so badly wanted to see someone put together the whole franchise into one cohesive story that I was doing it myself before Classics was even a thing. I truly enjoyed how the 200x iteration of the franchise was an attempt to do just that - not ignoring Filmation, but expanding on some of its ideas, as well as adding some of its own, and also keeping some of the roots of the franchise in mind.

What that adds up to is: What is most important to me when buying a new MOTUC figure is that it is a MOTUCLASSICS figure. The coming together of disparate stories over the course of a franchise in toy form? I've waited for that for most of my life. Here's where we're going to differ, Ornclown - but when I was a kid, playing with my MOTU toys, and seeing that there was a cartoon coming that was going to be about the stories that I loved - I was super-stoked. When I saw the result? Well . . .

Don't get me wrong. Filmation has a special place in my heart, but I just remember my friends and I being disappointed again and again by their depictions of what we were already playing. And the inability to render into 2D the marvelousness of what we held in our hands as toys was incredibly disheartening.

In that same vein, what the Classics line does in terms of updating and embellishing upon previous designs has had me over the moon. I was able to use my imagination as a kid, so what I held in hand, or saw on the screen, was peanuts compared to what was in my head. Granted, that had a lot to do with budgets and design innovation at the time, but when we got Classics . . . so many of those imagined updates and embellishments came to fruition.

So price, material, articulation, etc. etc. can all sit by the wayside. What I want is the new, wholly conceived and integrated line that is Classics. The realization of my childhood - untainted by the perception of a cartoon company whose goal was to produce things as cheaply as possible. The Classics line that includes POP, NA, SOH, 200x, and every other little pocket universe that brought us things like Strobo, Vikor, the Fighting Foe Men, Plasmar, Gwildor, and Goat Man - among others.

For me, what motivates my purchase is whether it is Classics Era or not. Does it represent the imagination of my childhood? Does it integrate with the franchise as a whole? That's the deciding factor for me.
    Orko: It's like the Sorceress said: sometimes, the ones who seem the worst, need our help the most.
    He-Man: You're learning.

This is Bogus. If you pick only one, even if the paint is perfect, and the skulpt is complete messed up, then the figure is still ruined.

So I guess as with houses and everything else if the foundation is messed up the rest really doesn't matter, so I guess Skulpt, but then again if they use the wrong plastic then the skulpt means nothing unless you have someone recast the parts.

They all play a factor (packaging excluded) even if everything is perfect, but the figure let's just say, I don't know, is bikini armor Spector, no one wants that either (well may be 10 people here would, but not the majority.)

So again, with a poll like this it can open up danger of a manufacture picking just what we think is most important and saying we gave you what you asked for "perfect paint", at 5 times the cost, on a no name character, with a bad skulpt, in a ziplock bag, from the "Super New Escapades of Mekenek", where he travels to the 18th dimension in search of his long lost stretchy neck pet snail.

Sorry, I'm not going to vote, and please everyone don't vote, we don't want to send the wrong message.

We want good figures which includes, great skulpt, quality material, accurate paint, well thought out accessories, tight articulation at the right locations, and at a fair price.

Sorry to derail this, but I've had this discussion with large teams at multiple companies. Then try to find out what is most important and focus on that.

(Example I use in the meeting) Peanut butter sandwich, which is most important:
    Quality peanut butter and bread
    Clean spreader
    Clean work station
    Recipe
    Qualified worker

(5 parts to every process: Materials, Equipment, Environment, Method, People) If any one of those 5 fail the product fails

Sometimes I use Chocolate cookies as an example to and tell them that the cookies are fine except one cookie in the bunch instead of a chocolate chip, a chip size piece of dog poo fell in the mix, but don't worry it's just one cookie at random out of the 24 I brough, and just one chip in that cookie. For some reason no one will take a cookie.

So again please don't vote, there is not just one thing that makes a good figure.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    As a nostalgic fan (just like preety much everyone collecting toys!),
    the era is a predominant factor.

The faction related to the character is also another major point, my priorities leaning
    most of the times on the most monstruous ones ... Which of course, implies a great design!
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

Interesting. To me its very simple - the figure should look like its source material. But then again - I may be biased because I'm a Filmation fan. When I began collecting MOTUC I only collected characters who resembled their Filmation counterparts, not the vintage toy counterparts. So I never bought the original Teela, He-man or Skeletor purely because I don't associate them with what I remembered from the cartoon (probably also because I only had Syklone as a toy as a kid). So yeah, I love CG and of course had to get the figs that resembled what I saw in the cartoon. But even if there are slight changes (like Triklops colour) I'm ok with it if the overall look closely resembles it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    This is Bogus.
    Whoa! He-Bro, I've never seen you so passionate about a poll before...

Of course it takes more than one thing to produce a great product, as I stated in the OP, but some people invest more interest in one over the others. If you are worried that a company will take this poll to heart and focus simply on one aspect, then that company has a lot more to worry about than just making toys.

Coming here and telling people not to vote out of that fear is like telling them not to toss a coin in a wishing-well because their wish will not come true. This is supposed to be for fun - and to create a good conversation on these boards. If you don't want to vote, you obviously don't have to... but don't sway others away from sharing their thoughts on this matter.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post

For me, I've come to love the concept that is Classics. The MOTUC line, as an amalgamation of factions and eras, has been a dream come true for me. I've so badly wanted to see someone put together the whole franchise into one cohesive story that I was doing it myself before Classics was even a thing. I truly enjoyed how the 200x iteration of the franchise was an attempt to do just that - not ignoring Filmation, but expanding on some of its ideas, as well as adding some of its own, and also keeping some of the roots of the franchise in mind.

What that adds up to is: What is most important to me when buying a new MOTUC figure is that it is a MOTUCLASSICS figure. The coming together of disparate stories over the course of a franchise in toy form? I've waited for that for most of my life. Here's where we're going to differ, Ornclown - but when I was a kid, playing with my MOTU toys, and seeing that there was a cartoon coming that was going to be about the stories that I loved - I was super-stoked. When I saw the result? Well . . .

Don't get me wrong. Filmation has a special place in my heart, but I just remember my friends and I being disappointed again and again by their depictions of what we were already playing. And the inability to render into 2D the marvelousness of what we held in our hands as toys was incredibly disheartening.

In that same vein, what the Classics line does in terms of updating and embellishing upon previous designs has had me over the moon. I was able to use my imagination as a kid, so what I held in hand, or saw on the screen, was peanuts compared to what was in my head. Granted, that had a lot to do with budgets and design innovation at the time, but when we got Classics . . . so many of those imagined updates and embellishments came to fruition.

So price, material, articulation, etc. etc. can all sit by the wayside. What I want is the new, wholly conceived and integrated line that is Classics. The realization of my childhood - untainted by the perception of a cartoon company whose goal was to produce things as cheaply as possible. The Classics line that includes POP, NA, SOH, 200x, and every other little pocket universe that brought us things like Strobo, Vikor, the Fighting Foe Men, Plasmar, Gwildor, and Goat Man - among others.

For me, what motivates my purchase is whether it is Classics Era or not. Does it represent the imagination of my childhood? Does it integrate with the franchise as a whole? That's the deciding factor for me.
    This is exactly how I feel and voted.

Sculpt, as I'm only able to pick one. Paint apps would be a close 2nd, neck and neck with plastic quality. Articulation from there.

Sculpt is king to me. This is why I collect MOTUC, as in Classics proper, not ever CG/cartoony (intentionally less detailed) figures.

As a thematic combination of that, I refer to my preference as strongly valuing "Aesthetic Execution" or simply the "cool, quality factor"

I couldn't care less about which era/faction/etc a figure comes from. If the figure looks cool, and I mean in the detailed "Classics" style, then I'm a buying customer. For instance, I care nothing for the NA fiction/cartoon, and yet there are some figures like Quakke and Mara that look cool, so I'm all in for them.

Packaging means nothing to me. Packaging is just that -- the figure is what counts. Packaging winds up promptly in the trash.

Accuracy means essentially zero to me. If the sculpt/paint is a cool representation of the character, regardless of "accuracy" to whatever original design, I'm all in. As someone who primarily collects Transformers, for instance, I'm rather accustomed to (and quite enjoy) all the re-interpretations, cool new designs for existing characters over the years. So, I welcome that in MOTUC.

Accessories? Not important. They can certainly "plus" up a figure, but are not significant in and of themselves in my purchasing and/or display preferences.

Price? This is a very variable factor, based on the personal value I ascribe to any given figure (for whatever reason, be it nostalgic or simply "cool factor" independent of nostalgia). For instance, many figures I wouldn't pay more then $35 for. Whereas for others, I've dropped over $350 on the secondary market, without a moment of hesitation.

Applied to the current era of things -- and as I've said elsewhere before -- something that I'm paying close attention to, and a make-or-break aspect for me going forward, is if the CC waves start getting less detailed, more cartoony and CG-looking. If that continues, I'm out. More money for Transformers, I guess, heh. Moreover, I find myself really irked how CG and CC are being willingly conflated/admixed. They are not the same. Stop blurring what is a very clear line between them, please!

But that aside, bring on the cool new CC/Classics-proper figures!

Last edited by The Timeless One; February 2, 2018 at 04:25pm.
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    Sculpt, as I'm only able to pick one. Paint apps would be a close 2nd, neck and neck with plastic quality. Articulation from there.

Sculpt is king to me. This is why I collect MOTUC, as in Classics proper, not ever CG/cartoony (intentionally less detailed) figures.

As a thematic combination of that, I refer to my preference as strongly valuing "Aesthetic Execution" or simply the "cool, quality factor"

I couldn't care less about which era/faction/etc a figure comes from. If the figure looks cool, and I mean in the detailed "Classics" style, then I'm a buying customer. For instance, I care nothing for the NA fiction/cartoon, and yet there are some figures like Quakke and Mara that look cool, so I'm all in for them.

Packaging means nothing to me. Packaging is just that -- the figure is what counts. Packaging winds up promptly in the trash.

Accuracy means essentially zero to me. If the sculpt/paint is a cool representation of the character, regardless of "accuracy" to whatever original design, I'm all in. As someone who primarily collects Transformers, for instance, I'm rather accustomed to (and quite enjoy) all the re-interpretations, cool new designs for existing characters over the years. So, I welcome that in MOTUC.

Accessories? Not important. They can certainly "plus" up a figure, but are not significant in and of themselves in my purchasing and/or display preferences.

Price? This is a very variable factor, based on the personal value I ascribe to any given figure (for whatever reason, be it nostalgic or simply "cool factor" independent of nostalgia). For instance, many figures I wouldn't pay more then $35 for. Whereas for others, I've dropped over $350 on the secondary market, without a moment of hesitation.

Applied to the current era of things -- and as I've said elsewhere before -- something that I'm paying close attention to, and a make-or-break aspect for me going forward, is if the CC waves start getting less detailed, more cartoony and CG-looking. If that continues, I'm out. More money for Transformers, I guess, heh. Moreover, I find myself really irked how CG and CC are being willingly conflated/admixed. They are not the same. Stop blurring what is a very clear line between them, please!

Well said!

I like your thinking on these matters and the explanations for each!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Well said!

I like your thinking on these matters and the explanations for each!
    Heh. Thanks.

I happened to see your sig, indicating your affinity for Filmation and NA? That reminds me of another category significantly at work in my head:

Concept: as what dominates rather than era/faction in my mind... By concept I mean, just that -- the concept of the character, and how that is executed in their look.

Using NA as an example, a fiction/cartoon I'd just as soon ignore otherwise, I see figures like Quakke or Crita, and I think "hey, that's a cool concept/look for the character". And so, I buy.

Similar examples have cropped up from the Filmation source. For instance, Shokoti. Awesome concept and aesthetic execution (all things considered), imo.

See also: setting aside production foibles with the Power-Con 3-pack (of the "concept" characters), I really dig the ideas at work, and the resulting look of those characters (for the most part).

So, yeah. Concept and "execution on Concept" (including chiefly Sculpt, the paint and plastic, then articulation) is what's really at work for me as a collector/buyer of MOTU Classics.

One of the things that really caused me to dive into MOTUC collecting (whereas, again, I'm chiefly a TF collector otherwise) is the deep and vast well of awesome concepts across the various MOTU canons/sources, as-is, was, could be or otherwise.

So, bring 'em on in figure form!

Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

For me, it comes down to character. If it’s an interesting new character or a version of an existing character that brings something new to the ongoing story, I’m all for it. That’s why I’m jonesing for new additions like the Great Black Wizard, Skeleteen, Lady Skither, or New takes on Classics like Odiphus, Tuvar & Baddra, and Cursed Marzo or Catra’s Panther Form.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I picked "Other". My deciding factor is character choice. You could have the most awesome paint, sculpt, prices, etc. but if I don't care about the character, then I'm not buying.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I also picked other as for me its character driven first. Era is second. I have only kept three NA figures in my collection and will not keep any more (Crita makes a good generic 80's witch, Mara looks like she belongs on a pirate ship with Huntara, and Skeletor made a great ultimate Faker) I also passed on a few PoP figures (Sweet Bee, Spinnerella, Netossa, and Double Trouble just didnt do it for me).

Professor SkeleTorbeck Streamside's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    For me, it comes down to character.
    Same. Who are we representing?

Then sculpt, then paint, materials, etc.

Then price.

...but everything should balance.

If I'm not into the character then I'm not into the figure, but -- if you give me a great character and botch the sculpt (which includes likeness), I'm out. Sloppy deco isn't desirable, but I'll tolerate it. Botch the face deco, though, and I'm out. The lower we go on the quality scale, the less I'm willing to pay.
    "We must always value life, even the life of one who opposes us." - He-man, The Power of the Evil Horde (Mattel 1985).
    "...I believe in the sanctity of all life." - He-man, "The Arena" (Filmation 1984)

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Whoa! He-Bro, I've never seen you so passionate about a poll before...

Of course it takes more than one thing to produce a great product, as I stated in the OP, but some people invest more interest in one over the others. If you are worried that a company will take this poll to heart and focus simply on one aspect, then that company has a lot more to worry about than just making toys.

Coming here and telling people not to vote out of that fear is like telling them not to toss a coin in a wishing-well because their wish will not come true. This is supposed to be for fun - and to create a good conversation on these boards. If you don't want to vote, you obviously don't have to... but don't sway others away from sharing their thoughts on this matter.
    Sorry man, the Teela thing has me really upset. Everything else going on with the rest of the batch I can either fix or live with. I know it's just toys, but I got my hopes up tooooo high for a perfect Teela this time, especially after the PD Teela (I eventually just put the original classics head on her. and customized her armor to not look tooo fat.) She was the only figure I really wanted out of the bunch, but to make it worthwhile I bought both sets, and some extras.

It's like when your car get scratched in valet parking:

Yes, I'm going to keep the figure.

Heroic Warrior
    I picked other as well. Iím all in on anything MOTUC Classics. I want to see new characters though and no variants. The Filmation line isnít my thing. I buy them, but I donít look forward to them like I do the Classics figures. Give me anything new and Iím good.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    Sorry man, the Teela thing has me really upset. Everything else going on with the rest of the batch I can either fix or live with. I know it's just toys, but I got my hopes up tooooo high for a perfect Teela this time, especially after the PD Teela (I eventually just put the original classics head on her. and customized her armor to not look tooo fat.) She was the only figure I really wanted out of the bunch, but to make it worthwhile I bought both sets, and some extras.

It's like when your car get scratched in valet parking:

Yes, I'm going to keep the figure.
    Yeah, I totally see where you're coming from.

I am upset about the whole Teela situation too. As a matter of fact, it is partly because of Teela that I started this poll.

Personally, I feel that Teela is the most important character that Super7 will have a chance to make in this line. To see where she's ended up is very disheartening. I will keep my fingers crossed for a miracle, but in all likelihood, this is probably our last chance to get a Filmation-accurate Teela figure in this scale.

And, just like you, I will keep my Teela figures... but sometimes it's hard to have something when you can't stop thinking about what could have been.

What's most important? Let's use the new Teela and Hawke as an example. Do not do that to a figure! Do not release that! Delay it, start over, don't bother, whatever you have to do, don't do that to a character.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Sculpt. If the basic first thing about a figure, which is it's sculpt, is poor, well there you have it.

Even paint apps I can add too (and have) but a sculpt I'm not in the position to change. It is the figure if anything is.

So sculpt, then paint apps. Then articulation in as much as it should have standard MOTUC articulation, which is a fair assumption. But like with Ramman I wanted those articulated legs, with King Hiss the swappable torso was better than the vintage one. And so on.

Then price I suppose, then accessories. Bad or no accessories or a great accessory can sell me on a figure (though technically I try to buy all MOTUC figs)

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Difficult to only choose one so I choose Others ...
    A lot of parameters merge together to have a want-to-buy figure.

If I have to order :

Scult and paint applications are the major things
    Accuracy to the source material is the next to have Something you want to buy (but it doesn't matter for "new" figures)
    Then Articulations and plastic quality are a need
    Accessories helps to buy but are not a major thing
    Price doesn't matter if the figure is perfect and if it stay in reasonable ways (especially for Snake Mountain )
    I prefer staying with the same packaging but it finally is not a important point
    Concerning the era/faction, it depend if the figure is nice or not

Quote Originally Posted by Poweron View Post

I agree with this 100%!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post

Very good post. I agree with everything here.

- - - Updated - - -

For me it is the sculpt. I love the original intent of MOTUC and therefore am mostly a Collector's Choice collector. I am excited to just keep getting more MOTUC figures from all eras and factions. What I am not interested in, is getting less detailed toon accurate figures in the CC line. The sculpt has to fit in with the figures that we already have.
    Coming straight out of Preternia, tribal chieftess and the original WARRIOR GODDESS, SHARELLA!!!

Sharella needs her day in Classics. She is the only remaining vintage POG character that needs a figure.
    Support Sharella for Collectors Choice!

My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Southern California. Toy Capital of the World!
    Gotta say theyre all important. But I chose based on what the source material is. I dont care for vintage "comic or minicomic" versions of characters. But Ill take a NEW character, regardless of source.

Heroic Warrior
    I voted accuracy.

My number two is era faction.

To me with the figures the source material is the vintage figures. and I expect/demand/want/assume/whatever the word is the figures to look like that. because that is what I grew up with.

That may not be fair or right but that's what I do.

If everything else is mediocre, the one thing I would want to be outstanding is the paint apps. They can make or break a figure. A figure can have an excellent sculpt, articulation, accuracy, faction, etc but if it has wonky eyes, flat paint, etc it completely ruins the figure, send it back. The quality and number of paint apps can take a figure from mediocre to excellent. It really adds the most feel of quality to a figure. Really good paint apps can make a figure worth a higher price, in my eyes. Once a line starts cutting paint apps, the perceived quality drops exponentially in my eyes. There can be some inaccuracies from the source material, engineering issues, a sculpt that's slightly off, etc but if the paint apps are good, that makes up for any smaller flaws.

I want more 200X stuff so much that I had to pick "era" as my answer
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto