Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pixel Dan's 2018 Toy Fair walk-through with Super7

Pixel Dan's 2018 Toy Fair walk-through with Super7

Join Pixel Dan for a walk-through with Super7's Brian Flynn MOTU product line at Toy Fair 2018.
    They talk MOTU Classics, vintage 5", ReAction and Keshi!

**Note: there is some adult language in the video

Click on this link to check it out
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

It all sounds good to me.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

Heroic Warrior
    I can live with those answers. Wasn't that excited about the keshi stuff until I heard Brian talk about it now I'm down with it. Also 20 bucks for vintage figures not to bad

Court Magician AntiEternia He-Man's Avatar
    I can live with those answers as well. They seem to understand now the need for ongoing communication.

I’ll order the next wave now based on those answers.

Can someone please explain. So the TriClops colour was changed because it was too similar to the one people already had on thier selves, and he wondered why people would buy the same. That’s a great point if the line wasn’t preorder only and all the purchases were done by people buying the similar figure for their shelves.

So the order window was closed and they sold x amount. Somewhere during production the colour changed to not be so similar because the want more people to purchase it. When are we going to be able to purchase it knowing it won’t be similar?

He seems like a stand up guy. Hope he does well with all these endeavors. But I'm a little disappointed with that price. I could understand twenty bucks not at retail, but that price is super high for 5 pts of articulation figures. Hasbro does not even charge twenty for their 12-inch figures. They are only $10. I just got Yoda off of Amazon like 2 weeks ago and he is fantastic.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    He seems like a stand up guy. Hope he does well with all these endeavors. But I'm a little disappointed with that price. I could understand twenty bucks not at retail, but that price is super high for 5 pts of articulation figures. Hasbro does not even charge twenty for their 12-inch figures. They are only $10. I just got Yoda off of Amazon like 2 weeks ago and he is fantastic.
    I'd chalk that up to supply and demand, as well as company clout.

Bigger companies like Hasbro and Funko can take it on the chin for production costs, and spread that cost out across their entire fiscal budget. Smaller companies like Super7 have to micro manage that budget more, and keep production costs more localized within the sales price of the individual product lines.

And then a line like Star Wars has way more customers than a line like MOTU. So that allows them a smaller profit margin per figure because of the over-all sales.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

I hope Brian doesnít take the feedback too much to heart. I definitely picked up a feeling of slight defeat or frustration on his part. Super7 picked up Mattelís banner and is carrying it (and I think theyíre doing a very good job), and the intense criticism heís faced online, almost non-stop, seems to be defeating. Constructive criticism and feedback is every fanís/consumerís right, but I know Iíve seen some unreasonable and unfair criticism here and elsewhere. I think most people are pretty happy with what theyíre doing. I hope theyíre hearing that, too. I hope that isnít drowned out.

I do think the strategy theyíve adopted of not trying to show off too much too early is a smart one. It may avoid the feeling of disappointment amongst fans that theyíre getting something different as an end product or that the next figures will be terrible because the first example shown has problems.

I also appreciate not racing ahead to show the next waves. Iíve seen toy companies announce too much too fast and get bogged down. I like that Super7ís approach seems to be getting a wave out the door and having a wave of preorders close and enter production before showing off the next thing. Itís a measured approach and I think itís better for the sustainability of the line than just rushing stuff out.

Overall, Iím pretty happy with what I see. Classics and Club Grayskull are looking very good and I *love* the 5.5-inch line. Getting all of those.

Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Nice! I am happy with these answers. And honestly, I think Teela looks pretty darn good in this video.

I am looking forward to future waves, and feel like Super 7 will continue to gather feedback and make improvements.
    VBulletin Total Ignore provides improved ignore functionality and removes quoted messages and any post made by an ignored user in a thread.

Information on how to download: https://greasyfork.org/en

The user script itself: https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/91...n-total-ignore

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Can someone please explain. So the TriClops colour was changed because it was too similar to the one people already had on thier selves, and he wondered why people would buy the same. Thatís a great point if the line wasnít preorder only and all the purchases were done by people buying the similar figure for their shelves.

So the order window was closed and they sold x amount. Somewhere during production the colour changed to not be so similar because the want more people to purchase it. When are we going to be able to purchase it knowing it wonít be similar?
    Dont ask logical questions here...you wont get any straight answers!!!
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Great interview. Lots of good info here. I really enjoy watching these walk through. I am really excited about all the different MOTU products that Super7 are putting out.
    It would be nice to know if there is going to be a clear distinction between CC and CG going forward or if they are going to continue to offer less detailed figures like Hawke in CC?
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

Here's hoping that the majority of the Teela and Hawke figures have the correct leg pins and that by the second wave, neither Granita or the Sorceress will be affected by such an error.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, Lodar, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Granita, Teela, Hordak head, Dylamug, Twiggets, Trollans, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Thanks for the video folks! Everything’s looking great and I cannot wait for the new figs to arrive.

I hope Val gives the all clear to show off the PC figs next month!

Btw, I had the pleasure of meeting Brian at Power-Con last year. He was an awesome guy and a lot of fun to talk to. Thanks for everything you do, Brian!
    Hey Super 7, Snake Mountain rocks! Let's Kickstart it!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenskull View Post
    Great interview. Lots of good info here. I really enjoy watching these walk through. I am really excited about all the different MOTU products that Super7 are putting out.
    It would be nice to know if there is going to be a clear distinction between CC and CG going forward or if they are going to continue to offer less detailed figures like Hawke in CC?
    I asked this very question in the thread Val posted and passed to Pixel Dan but as we see no answer or the question wasn’t even asked.

Hmmm, I'm still not buyin' the Tri-Klops excuse... but, at least Brian acknowledged the problem.

Also, $20.00 for the vintage figures!! Why so much?! Maybe $15, but $20 is double the price of the Savage World figures... and, if it has already been this long before Brian has been given the "okay" to release them, why not forget the partnership and sell them straight from his own store/web store??

I hope that the partnership turns out to be a lucrative one, because it sounds like Super7 is being strung along...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsexy_j View Post
    Can someone please explain. So the TriClops colour was changed because it was too similar to the one people already had on thier selves, and he wondered why people would buy the same. That’s a great point if the line wasn’t preorder only and all the purchases were done by people buying the similar figure for their shelves.

So the order window was closed and they sold x amount. Somewhere during production the colour changed to not be so similar because the want more people to purchase it. When are we going to be able to purchase it knowing it won’t be similar?
    I think you nailed it. The reasoning just doesn't make logical sense. Preorders were locked in so why make the change at all? And who is putting this Tri-Klops next to the old one on a shelf? That figure came out years ago and it's not even the same audience as the Filmation line. I'd be willing to bet it's something more like they were able to purchase the lime green plastic at half the price and save some money. I don't like that but at least it would make sense from a business point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I'd chalk that up to supply and demand, as well as company clout.

Clout may have something to do with it. I'm not really all that knowledgable (sp?) about toy manufacturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Hmmm, I'm still not buyin' the Tri-Klops excuse... but, at least Brian acknowledged the problem.

Also, $20.00 for the vintage figures!! Why so much?! Maybe $15, but $20 is double the price of the Savage World figures... and, if it has already been this long before Brian has been given the "okay" to release them, why not forget the partnership and sell them straight from his own store/web store??

I hope that the partnership turns out to be a lucrative one, because it sounds like Super7 is being strung along...
    I hope it doesn't work. Because paying over $20 after tax for these kind of defeats the purpose of having them at retail in the first place. Parents don't buy a lot twenty dollar figures for their kids, which is why Hasbro makes the 12 inch figures at the ten dollar price point. And those often don't sell at that price either. They frequently show up at Ross, TJ Maxx, Etc. My Five Below is loaded up with Andor and Erso. Those aint goin' anywhere anytime soon.

If they are going to cost a lot, I would rather just buy them directly from Super7. No point in having them at any store and having to fight for them with other collectors and the occasional scalper. I'm only planning on buying Skeletor for now, but that MAA looks pretty sweet. These don't need to be at retail as far as I can tell.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Here is a summary through minute 11 (the end of the Classics and Vintage discussion).

1. They retooled all the vintage figures, particularly waist and hip joints. The hips weren't working correctly. This also had to do with straight feet v. sideways feet.

2. The retail partner has been stringing them along. They might release them themselves at some point.

3. The vintage figures will be 19.99.

4. He-Ro will have vac metal armor.

5. He reiterates that they didn't show new classics because they haven't finished Wave 1. He also doesn't want to show first pass figures. This makes little sense, but whatever.

6. He wants to ship preorders closer to reveals.

7. Pixel Dan said everything looks fantastic and Hawke in the same sentence.

8. Tri-Klops was too similar to Classics, so they differentiated by going to a lighter green. As others have said, this makes no sense. They looked different enough being CG v. classics. They might fix this later.

9. They will do better about talking about running changes.

10. Pixel Dan says Tri-Klops was part of an ongoing discussion with fans. I wasn't aware they ever discussed the Tri-Klops change. In fact, Brian admits they didn't discuss it.

11. Wave 2 is being tooled. These are the same samples.

12. Sales for Wave 2 are "alright". They are hoping the last week is strong. The preorder will close March 15.

13. Powercon exclusives soon. Probably after March 15.

More info for Classics later.

I'm not interested in the rest.

These weren't great explanations. But I do think they are trying. I just don't understand why if they are trying so hard, things keep kind of going off the rails. There's such a mismatch between results and effort. It's strange.
    Favorite MOTUC
    1. Shadow Weaver
    2. Evil-Lyn, BG
    3. Skeletor, Filmation
    4. Mer-Man
    5. Orko

Most Wanted: New Version of Sorceress, Filmation She-Ra

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    These weren't great explanations. But I do think they are trying. I just don't understand why if they are trying so hard, things keep kind of going off the rails. There's such a mismatch between results and effort. It's strange.
    Also, Brian mentioned that he doesn't want to show samples until they are later in development... at which point, none of our suggestions/feedback will matter.

The whole point point of showing early test shots is to get feedback and generate a lot of excitement... that won't happen if they show us an almost finished figure that stinks!

20 bucks for the 5.5 figures kind of sucks, but I'm not too surprised. Again, it's a line of figures from an 80s cartoon with no new media to support it. MOTU just isn't as popular as STAR WARS, MARVEL, TMNT, or numerous other things.

But at the same time, here we are in 2018, and we are being offered more types of MOTU product than ever existed in it's hey-day. That's kind of weird.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 19, 2018 at 12:00am.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    20 bucks for the 5.5 figures kind of sucks, but I'm not too surprised. Again, it's a line of figures from an 80s cartoon with no new media to support it. MOTU just isn't as popular as a lot of other, newer things that are out there.
    This begs the question of why Funko can sell their retro line at, what I'm assuming (based on their Zorn and MK figures), will be $10 - $15 while still maintaining quality and continuing to be a "small" company...

This begs the question of why Funko can sell their retro line at, what I'm assuming (based on their Zorn and MK figures), will be $10 - $15 while still maintaining quality and continuing to be a "small" company...
    That is one hell of a good question, ORNCLOWN.

I also meant to say I love that they retooled the hips on the 5.5s. I always hated on some of my older figures how the feet would point outwards awkwardly.
    Odd Man Out

Heroic Warrior
    Funko is calling this style "savage world" and they are 9.99 MSRP. They are cheaper for several reasons. They have tooling that is shared between multiple licenses, so Thundercats, Horror, Conan, and more properties to be announced spread out those costs across more products making them cheaper per piece.

Funko also has a HUGE retail footprint and produces (over produces honestly) huge quantities of everything. If you have Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, and specialty retailers all stocking your stuff and you have tons of licenses, it's just much cheaper per figure than one niche license that will have either a single retail partner or be specialty only.

Also, Super 7 is a small privately held company who has to be very disciplined. Funko is publicly traded and they lost 10 million dollars last year. It's just apples and oranges. Super 7 could never take a financial hit on something like this with the plan of it being profitable over time by building the tooling bank and applying it to more licenses. Funko can, and does.
    Last edited by snake_mole_hill; February 19, 2018 at 12:20am.

Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    Funko is calling this style "savage world" and they are 9.99 MSRP. They are cheaper for several reasons. They have tooling that is shared between multiple licenses, so Thundercats, Horror, Conan, and more properties to be announced spread out those costs across more products making them cheaper per piece.

Funko also has a HUGE retail footprint and produces (over produces honestly) huge quantities of everything. If you have Target, Walmart, Toys R Us, and specialty retailers all stocking your stuff and you have tons of licenses, it's just much cheaper per figure than one niche license that will have either a single retail partner or be specialty only.

Also, Super 7 is a small privately held company who has to be very disciplined. Funko is publicly traded and they lost 10 million dollars last year. It's just apples and oranges. Super 7 could never take a financial hit on something like this with the plan of it being profitable over time by building the tooling bank and applying it to more licenses. Funko can, and does.
    Very well explained, thank you sir

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Join Pixel Dan for a walk-through with Super7's Brian Flynn MOTU product line at Toy Fair 2018.
    They talk MOTU Classics, vintage 5", ReAction and Keshi!

**Note: there is some adult language in the video

Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki4kN_ovnpk
    Thank you JVS3. Thank you Dan nice job. Thank you Brian and Super7 for the awesome MOTU stuff.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!