Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post your methods/tips for fixing Triklops's visor and other Wave 1 QC issues

Post your methods/tips for fixing Triklops's visor and other Wave 1 QC issues

So I've seen many posts of Org members fixing Triklops's visor; however, these fixes are mentioned in several threads across dozens of pages with varying methods and degrees of success. This will be a good thread to post tutorials for loosening the visor without damaging the head or neck peg. I have done a few customs but don't consider myself a modder or customizer, but many of you are pros. Please share your fixes with pics and maybe videos. also it would be helpful if anyone has ideas for fixing other QC issues with the Super 7 initial waves

The only post I am waiting for in this thread is this Gentleman's:

He seems to know something we don't. As he should. But We will probably need to wait to for the next Super7 Supercast to hear anything about how he would or would not remedy this situation.

I posted in another thread that I would give it one last try with a mug of boiling water. I dunked him in for about 20 secs then pried up on the sides of the visor while pushing down in the middle. I did this because the peg on mine was already tearing. I eventually got it off with a lot of work.

Here is the pic:

tri.jpg

This was 100% without a doubt make no mistake about it, GLUED at the factory. It's not the paint that didn't dry. ITS GLUED ON. I heated the head with a hair dryer for a minute to get it off the body, then heated it again for two more to it was really soft and pulled it apart. Then I scraped the glue off the edges, re-heated and then popped it back together. This factory is horrible. Also would love to know how this passed QC. Haven't heard from one person that theirs just rotated out of the package.

I reported my progress/efforts/success! yesterday. I started by boiling Tri-K's whole head in a pot of water on the stove, about 30 - 45 seconds at first. When he came out, I started prying with my thumb, upwards gently but firmly all around the edge of his visor. It was on there SNUG. I repeated this 3 -4 times, getting a little more movement with each pass. It was slow going. Eventually, everything was so warmed up that I removed his head altogether, and just tossed it in the pot to boil for about 2 minutes! After this, things were much more agreeable, and with a resounding "Pop!", I tore the top right off his head! It came off clean, no residue (glue? paint??) that I could determine, and since everything was still good and softened up, I popped it back into place without incident.

This whole endeavor brought with it a wave of nostalgia for the "Good Ol' Days" of reversing King Hiss' shoulders, making Stinkor's forearms "not Pop!", and the major surgery that New Adventures Skeletor required. But the results speak for themselves!:

Tri-Klopsx3.jpg

I said yesterday that if I could do this, then anyone could. But as it turns out, I may have gotten one of the "lesser stuck" (?) Tri-Klopses out there. I have heard many a tale of woe from fellow Collectors far more experienced than I at such things. Good Luck out there to all who dare! :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Quote Originally Posted by MEisterShake View Post
    This was 100% without a doubt make no mistake about it, GLUED at the factory. It's not the paint that didn't dry. ITS GLUED ON. I heated the head with a hair dryer for a minute to get it off the body, then heated it again for two more to it was really soft and pulled it apart. Then I scraped the glue off the edges, re-heated and then popped it back together. This factory is horrible. Also would love to know how this passed QC. Haven't heard from one person that theirs just rotated out of the package.
    Look at the picture posted dude. It’s a combo of two things 1.)as Brian stated how the plastic cooled and 2.)wet paint inside the visor. Clearly you can see green paint high up on the head sides that was from inside the visor and you can clearly see flesh colored paint on underside of the visor. No glue is showing at all.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    Clearly you can see green paint high up on the head sides that was from inside the visor and you can clearly see flesh colored paint on underside of the visor.
    Is that flesh colored paint on the visor? I thought it was exposed flesh colored plastic where the green paint had come off.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Heroic Warrior
    Mark me down as someone who has already ruined one Tri-Klops (lifts hat and bows) and has another on order from BBTS as a replacement. I really, really want that visor to spin, but I have no skill in this sort of thing. Not sure what to do...

mjw41, If i could post pictures on here I would, there's glue all up in the middle post of the head. It's clear and hard as a rock. Why on earth would I lie about it?

Quote Originally Posted by MEisterShake View Post
    mjw41, If i could post pictures on here I would, there's glue all up in the middle post of the head. It's clear and hard as a rock. Why on earth would I lie about it?
    I never said you were.

I was looking at Fandors picture and was pointing out I only see paint where it shouldn’t be, but no glue.
    Sorry if my response came off the wrong way it wasn’t Intended to be.

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I said yesterday that if I could do this, then anyone could. But as it turns out, I may have gotten one of the "lesser stuck" (?) Tri-Klopses out there. I have heard many a tale of woe from fellow Collectors far more experienced than I at such things. Good Luck out there to all who dare! :^)
    Let me echo this. I was able to fix my Tri-klops quite easily, but I may have one that isn't stuck so hard. I think using the hot water method should work for anyone, but maybe some of them are stuck more strongly than others.
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I never said you were.

I was looking at Fandors picture and was pointing out I only see paint where it shouldn’t be, but no glue.
    Sorry if my response came off the wrong way it wasn’t Intended to be.
    I can't be 100% sure but I do think there was glue. That crusty white/clear stuff towards the back of the peg and a little on the inside of the visor in that pic I do believe is glue. There is also transfer of paint as well. At any rate is acted like glue. I'm no stranger to loosening up stuck joints like all my Neca's but this was the worst I've had to deal with.

Heroic Warrior
    I love this thread it gave me the confidence to totally redeem myself . I stretched the neck peg in round one, heated him up grabbed the neck peg with a pair of needle nose pliers and popped his head off stuffed the neck peg back down in there while his head simmered for a couple minutes in the water took two rounds of two minutes and it came right off just a little extra paint was holding mine down took a razor blade and cleaned it up heated it back up for a minute then dried it and even a dab of oil on top of peg and went back on his head turns awesome and his head is completely fixed Thanks for your help

I sat Triklops upside down in a mug of boiling water (with a dash of cold water so is not actually boiling) for a minute, then popped his entire head off, holding the neck together from the front and back (as the Super7 figs don't seem to have as easy head swapping ability as Mattel's and I felt that the neck peg is at risk of popping off from inside the neck or snapping alltogether)

I dropped the head into the hot water again for a minute or two, then fished it out with a spoon. Holding the helmet with one hand and the face with the other, I bent them apart as to pry a gap between them, rotating to the front, bend, side, bend, etc. Looking into the gap you can see where the paint or glue is, I sliced carefully with an x-acto blade (just to score any paint/glue, not to cut the plastic).

As the plastic cools down, you will need to reheat every few minutes and continue this method.

Also combined with twisting the helmet back and forth (wrapped in my t-shirt for extra grip, like opening a jar.) Repeat the heating, bending and twisting over and over.

Don't get frustrated and force it, you will only break it. I gave up after a little while, put it away and tried again the next night. Eventually, the twisting set it free. The helmet didn't even pop off the head, just worked loose and rotates freely.

One final heat to get the head soft enough to get back on the neck peg and away you go.

Heroic Warrior
    Very helpful advice, guys. Thank you!

Thrillhouse, if you see this: when you say "holding the neck together from the back and front," what exactly do you mean? Holding it with needle nose pliers as above, or some other technique? Sorry to belabor the point, but I want to make sure I've got the system down!

My Triklops has paint missing from his head...do we know if Super 7 exchanges figures with damaged paint....and yes my visor doesn't spin...
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post

Thrillhouse, if you see this: when you say "holding the neck together from the back and front," what exactly do you mean? Holding it with needle nose pliers as above, or some other technique? Sorry to belabor the point, but I want to make sure I've got the system down!
    Well I already stretched out the neck peg on mine so I had a pretty big gap between the head and neck so mine was almost ruined ( the neck peg) so I knew I had to hold on or it was breaking

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post
    My Triklops has paint missing from his head...do we know if Super 7 exchanges figures with damaged paint....and yes my visor doesn't spin...
    They should replace it yes. The only thing they don't do is issue refunds unless the figures is unopened they refund unopened items but yeah contact CS and tell them you need him replaced he's missing paint from his head That's a Factory error

I've seen members post about using BlueTak to fix Hawke's low-sitting head. What's the exact method for going about this? Just a little wad inside the head, or stick a little to the bulb on the neck peg?

Quote Originally Posted by Pygmalion View Post

After heating Triklops in a mug of hot water, I was pulling the head off and saw the seams running along the sides of his neck (the joins of the front and back halves of his torso) start to spread a little. I think it was the "other end" of the neck peg trying to pop out through the neck hole. All I meant was to hold the neck together by hand (pinching the front and back of the neck) so it doesn't spread and the entire neck peg pops out.

Try to heat the plastic of the head only. Heating the neck will make the peg more pliable and may stretch it. I only removed the head first so I wouldn't be putting pressure on the neck peg when wrestling with the visor.
    When removing any MOTUC head, keep an eye on the neck peg that it's not getting stress marks etc.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTUmaster View Post
    I've seen members post about using BlueTak to fix Hawke's low-sitting head. What's the exact method for going about this? Just a little wad inside the head, or stick a little to the bulb on the neck peg?
    Pull the head off carefully (see heating instructions above) Whack a blob of Blu Tack under the head (not into the deep hole, just cover it) and stick it back on. Don't pop the head back on, it's simply sitting on the neck loosely to give it the extra height. The Blu Tack just stops it from falling off and allows you to pose the head.

Some MOTUC figures suffer from a too deep hole under the head and popping the heads off makes the neck appear longer. I've currently got Hawke, Blade and Goat Man with their heads unattached, balancing on their neck pegs without Blu Tack. They look great until I move them and their heads fall off and roll across the floor. *Note to self: Buy Blu Tack

Seriously, anyone with any of these 3 figures, try it right now!!!

EDIT: I'm now looking at which other figures could do with a longer neck. Both of Two-Bad's heads could do with a lift. Or, if you're a 200X fan, just pop off the blue head for the uneven heights!!!
    Last edited by Thrillhouse; March 6, 2018 at 06:02am.

We finally have the definitive way to "address" this problem. As we have been told, there is nothing to actually fix.

Voila.

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoon766 View Post
    We finally have the definitive way to "address" this problem. As we have been told, there is nothing to actually fix.

http://i65.tinypic.com/14cr5er.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/of6f05.jpg

Voila.
    I honestly cannot believe the audacity of this....

I suppose the entire collecting world is just a bunch of fools for not figuring this "method" out...

These guys didn't know what they were doing:
    trike1.jpgtrike2.jpgtrike3.jpg
    Last edited by Ornclown; March 10, 2018 at 01:53am.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the NEW ADVENTURES lineup !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I honestly cannot believe the audacity of this....

I suppose the entire collecting world is just a bunch of fools for not figuring this "method" out...

These guys didn't know what they were doing:
    trike1.jpgtrike2.jpgtrike3.jpg
    And some people wonder why there is so little communication.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkerBoh View Post
    And some people wonder why there is so little communication.
    Some people realize that some people don't like to communicate about realities of situations that they see as uncomfortable or that will not put them in a good light. Not much to wonder about.

Removed the head. Blew hairdryer into the peg hole for 1 minute. Visor rotated easily straight afterwards.