Thread: Face Printing

Face Printing

Hey folks,

I've noticed a few companies using the new inkjet like face printing technology. With the issues we've had with some MOTUC figures, especially the ladies...going all the way back to early Mattel days...would people be interested in seeing Super7 switch to face printing?

After revealing the new Star Wars Rey figure using the technology late last year, a Hasbro rep said it is no more expensive than normal paint apps, though that likely depends if your factory is set up for it (I would imagine).

What do we think of face printing & do you think it would help the MOTUC line?

Would switching to this method make the figures too different to their predecessors?

Hasbro Star Wars Rey - regular paint apps v face printing

Mattel WWE Edge

Mattel WWE Carmella

Heroic Warrior
    Rey looks amazing I bet Teela would of been beautiful I think it's worth looking into I'm sure Super7 would not be opposed to it

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Looks very interesting! I've never had a figure with this technology used...I'll have to look for them. It looks as if it does add the opportunity for more shading and subtlety, which would be great. The symmetry also looks much better. If it improves the error rate of wandering eyebrows, I'd be all for it!

I love it. I can't see Hasbro releasing head-packs to update their existing 6" black series, but it would be wonderful if they did!

Maybe we could have it for the rest of the '87 movie figures? May not be worth it depending on the costs of course since the human characters are few, but if it's feasible, why not let Dolph be Dolph?!

I believe Hasbro uses this process on its movie-based Marvel Legends figures. The Black Panther figures look incredible. I'd be up for them giving it a try. I do wonder if it's even possible cost-wise.
    PRAISE HESTIA!!!

"Yep! And now I'm gonna blast ya!" - Orko to Skeletor in "Lessons"

WANT: Twiggets, Hunga, Josh, Joya/Bubblerina, King Ahgo, Wise Old Wizardess,
    Crimson Fury, Melog, Kowla, Red Eye, Staghorn, ALL New Adventures, Sharella,
    Gray, Kittrina, Melaktha, Miranda, Lt. Andra, Illumina, Lady Slither, MYP Evil-Lyn,
    MYP Sorceress, King Miro, Songster, Scrollos, Kayla, Skeleteen

While it certainly helps with realism for real people like the images I posted above, the ability to use finer lines can really help any figure. Once again, particularly the females.

As Bill said to Pixel Dan in regards to Teela, there is things you cannot do with standard paint application processes - which I believe is mostly masks & stamps.

With face printing they can makes lines however thick they want. No more drag queen eyebrows on the ladies!

Derpy eyes would be a thing of the past.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Didn't Queen Angella fall victim to this face printing method?
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    Didn't Queen Angella fall victim to this face printing method?
    No, Queen Angella, and all subsequent female figures fell victim to an improperly aligned head inside the apparatus. Take a look at this process. I am not sure if this is how they still do it, but it gives you an idea of what might be involved. Some parts can be sprayed, but other things like eyes probably have to be stamped on, which could be messy unless the worker is careful.

Has anyone ever saw a Barbie doll with derpy eyes or thick eyebrows?? Somehow Mattel was able to accomplish that way before printing process but sadly not on MOTUC..
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robaczek View Post
    Has anyone ever saw a Barbie doll with derpy eyes or thick eyebrows?? Somehow Mattel was able to accomplish that way before printing process but sadly not on MOTUC..
    That's a very good point. I think that more care was clearly taken with Barbie because that's their flagship product. And little girls will reject outright a doll that looks funny. I wonder if it might have something to do with the softer plastic on the Barbie heads...if that takes the process of paint and the stamps better because it's a flexible material?

Quote Originally Posted by Salamandra View Post
    That's a very good point. I think that more care was clearly taken with Barbie because that's their flagship product. And little girls will reject outright a doll that looks funny. I wonder if it might have something to do with the softer plastic on the Barbie heads...if that takes the process of paint and the stamps better because it's a flexible material?
    If as someone suggested it boils down toplacing the heads incorrectly inside the painting template machine as per video above, this would be of no significance at all..
    Creative web design studio from London - Handcrafted pixels since 2004

This is really awesome!

Hasbro - “This process is inkjet printing where the color is sprayed onto the face. Much like you would print a picture from a copier. They’re able to capture a lot more subtlety, a lot more color, and it’s not just one color at a time"

“It’s taking high-resolution images of Daisy Ridley and Temuera Morrison—which we’re using on Rex—straight-on photography, and we’re using a new process where it’s kind of printed straight on to the actual plastic sculpt for the head. It’s very lifelike, and there’s less likelihood of slipping. It’s all one print in one go [as opposed to multiple paint applications].”

It could have made the Teela face more like the re-paint by @cyguypopart

Last edited by Artistix; March 15, 2018 at 03:32am.