Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any chance that the MOTU license can go back to Mattel

Heroic Warrior

Is there any chance that the MOTU license can go back to Mattel

With the new movie coming, and hopefully becoming a vehicle for more toys, will Mattel be able to take back the license for the line?
    Most Wanted:

Snake Mountain and Eternia Playsets!

Maybe for cheap 3 3/4 inch movie toys. They wanted no more to do with classics.

Please don't even start that train of thought. I still won't buy any Mattel currently because I don't trust them to follow through. I'm very happy with Super7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    Maybe for cheap 3 3/4 inch movie toys. They wanted no more to do with classics.

And I want no more to do with them. Good riddance.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Heroic Warrior
    So Mattel can't come out with any motu stuff? That kind of stinks cause I really like the motu hot wheels stuff it's neat when they do stuff like that . I also really like the 12 inch She- Ra figure they made for Sdcc even though technically it's not Barbie it kind of has the feel of that brand as well. I just kind of thought that they were out of classics.

I think Mattel is still the main holder and they just license certain production rights to other companies. I don't see why Mattel couldn't produce toys tied to a movie. It does have to right to tell other companies to cease use.

I htought I had read that Mattel maintains the ability to manufacture MOTU product should any new entertainment come along. (I can't see Super 7 churning out the inevitable toys for the Netflix She-Ra cartoon coming soon, nor a mass-retail line of merchandise from the possible MOTU film.)
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

Depends on the exact terms of the licensing agreement. They probably haven't relinquished all rights to Super 7. Like how, Marvel Legends makes six inch figures, and Marvel Select (which I believe is owned by Marvel) makes similar figures, except in seven inches, and usually with less articulation. I would imagine Mattel is free to make toys that aren't specifically MOTU Classics style, or any of the other stuff Super 7 makes (3 3/4 inch figures based on the classic line, motuscles, etc). MOTU Hot Wheels and 12 inch She-Ras are probably not off the table for Mattel.

I always assumed that MATTEL simply loaned S7 the rights, and that if a movie was successful, MATTEL would probably jump right back in. Nothing against S7, but I can't see them being able to supply all the WALMARTS in America.

Granted, I don't see the movie ever happening, nor it being a smash hit if it does, so it's all moot.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    With the new movie coming, and hopefully becoming a vehicle for more toys, will Mattel be able to take back the license for the line?
    Well, if the next wave of Super7 figures is as plagued with problems as this current one... it may not even be a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I htought I had read that Mattel maintains the ability to manufacture MOTU product should any new entertainment come along. (I can't see Super 7 churning out the inevitable toys for the Netflix She-Ra cartoon coming soon, nor a mass-retail line of merchandise from the possible MOTU film.)
    I agree. I don't think Super7 has the resources to keep up with MOTUC and the Netflix She-Ra...

Who knows... maybe the Netflix show will prompt Mattel to revisit MOTU and start to trickle new and old product into brick and mortar stores. If the She-Ra show does well, Mattel may want to take the helm again and get this train back on track.
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    This is silly. Super7 can focus much more on motu. Than Mattel can. Mattel doesn’t care about MOTU They canned the line because of all the whining and complaining.

S7 saved the line by taking up the torch. And the issues are no worse than stuff Matty gave us. How soon people forget. Be grateful S7 saved the line. This is it for vintage stuff and filmation or 87 film If there is a movie it will be for the new movie. Mattel won’t be resurrecting the classic stuff.

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

They still have the license. If they want to do toys for a new movie or cartoon, they can, and probably will.
    Like people said above, they were done with Classics. If Super7 hadn't gotten a license to continue the line, it would be over.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2018!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Brian Flynn from Super7 stated lately that the MotU license they have from Mattel is not for mass retail products, only for online and comic book store stuff. So if Mattel wants to do some MotU toys for retail for whatever reason, they just can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by melkor23 View Post
    Brian Flynn from Super7 stated lately that the MotU license they have from Mattel is not for mass retail products, only for online and comic book store stuff. So if Mattel wants to do some MotU toys for retail for whatever reason, they just can do it.
    And before someone replies to melkor23 and asks something like "Then what about the retail partner Brian talked about for the 5" line?", that potential retail partner was something they are/were working with Mattel on. Super7 isn't out there just doing whatever the heck they want.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Anticipated and answered, nice one Val.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

If the Mega Bloks figures continue to be good sellers, it may give Mattel a little more confidence in the brand. Hopefully, the Trek figures won't kill the line. Because the MOTU characters do seem to sell.

I think the best we can hope for is a line of dollar store type of 5 inch figures similar to what Hasbro does with Star Wars. That would be a great avenue for parents to introduce their kids to the franchise without having to buy expensive figures aimed at collectors. But it sure does seem unlikely...

As far as them making classics again, they probably cannot do that without some type of breech of contract. And they probably aren't interested in doing it either. It would only be worth it if they could figure out a way to get a lot of new people to jump in and start collecting. They clearly showed they have no clue how to make that happen and weren't able to do it after all the years classics has been running.

I for one am alarmed by how lazy their approach was.

"What do people want?"
    "Let's go to the Org and find out!!"

The org is not the only site on the Internet and it's not even the only site on the internet where toy collectors hang out.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It would only be worth it if they could figure out a way to get a lot of new people to jump in and start collecting. They clearly showed they have no clue how to make that happen and weren't able to do it after all the years classics has been running.

I for one am alarmed by how lazy their approach was.

"What do people want?"
    "Let's go to the Org and find out!!"

The org is not the only site on the Internet and it's not even the only site on the internet where toy collectors hang out.
    Do what with the what now?

What does He-Man.Org have to do with Mattel trying to bring in new fans to an adult collector line centered around nostalgia?

And what exactly do you think Mattel should have done to bring in new fans? Because we've talked about this numerous times over the years. They weren't going to throw money into expensive advertising in the hopes there was some untapped market out there who would flood in to buy a toy line that had no new TV or film entertainment driver.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    What does He-Man.Org have to do with Mattel trying to bring in new fans to an adult collector line centered around nostalgia?

Nothing. Which is why it didn't work and few new collectors came in.

This is not my personal gripe, by the way. This is a complaint I have often heard on other collector forums. And, for the most part, I think the criticism is valid. Many do not consider this site representative of the overall population of people who do or would like to collect Masters of the Universe toys. And they have complained that Mattel spent too much time on here listening to the wrong people.

And Mattel only hears what they want to hear. Plenty of people on here have complained that there aren't less expensive He-man toys they could buy for their kids. Mattel did not even make those crappy mini's affordable. And we've seen recently with the Mega Bloks and Loyal Subjects that He-man toys can still sell.

And what exactly do you think Mattel should have done to bring in new fans?

I think they should have relinquished the property to others, who would show a little more faith in the property. Which is exactly what they did. They did the right thing.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; March 4, 2018 at 10:28am.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor68 View Post
    So Mattel can't come out with any motu stuff? That kind of stinks cause I really like the motu hot wheels stuff it's neat when they do stuff like that . I also really like the 12 inch She- Ra figure they made for Sdcc even though technically it's not Barbie it kind of has the feel of that brand as well. I just kind of thought that they were out of classics.
    Yeah, I really liked the 12-inch She-Ra, too. I hope that Mattel does more with that line, and I hope it does some toys to tie into the Netflix She-Ra cartoon, too.

This is not my personal gripe, by the way. This is a complaint I have often heard on other collector forums. And, for the most part, I think the criticism is valid.
    But how? What info do you think Mattel was getting here that they didn't get elsewhere? And how exactly was that data applied?

Because I'm not aware of any time that Mattel came specifically to these forums, listened to a complaint that was unique to only here and no where else, and applied it to the line.

And even if they had done this, how exactly would that have affected new fans coming on board?

I think they should have relinquished the property to others, who would show a little more faith in the property. Which is exactly what they did. They did the right thing.
    So, are you saying Super7 is bringing in new fans?

I'm not trying to be difficult, so my apologies if I sound like that. It's just that if what you are saying is accurate, then it's good to explore. But are there actual examples of what you're saying, or is it just hearsay that's been spread around over time?

But how? What info do you think Mattel was getting here that they didn't get elsewhere? And how exactly was that data applied?
    Because I'm not aware of any time that Mattel came specifically to these forums, listened to a complaint that was unique to only here and no where else, and applied it to the line.

And even if they had done this, how exactly would that have affected new fans coming on board?

Well, my point is that this is not really the place to reach new fans. People see that Toyguru was frequently on here, various character polls that were done, etc. Untapped he-fans would not be regulars on he-man.org I would say. I will ask you where was Mattel going to reach new fans? Here? Cons? Maybe browsing some other collector sites? It's all the same people (even if the names are different..)

And I would argue that we are all outliers on these collector sites. The untapped public is now well over 30 and probably want to buy them for their kids more than for themselves.

So, are you saying Super7 is bringing in new fans?

Super7 is not in the position of using classics to bring in new fans from out of nowhere. That was not the intended purpose of the line, as you said it was a nostalgic line aimed at collectors. And they can't rerelease figures that have already been made (E.g., Buzz-off) because the majority of people collecting the line already have Buzz Off. I do appreciate the way they have done pre-orders so that I can get them from BBTS without paying a huge markup. I never would have got any of the Ultimates from Mattel. Those guys wouldn't take PayPal and there was no way I was giving Digital River my financial info....

But Super7 is in a position to release different stuff that may bring in a bunch of new people. That is why many of us were hoping the retro figures would be priced similarly to the Mortal Kombat figures. If they are priced around $10, anyone could buy them for any reason; for themselves, for their kids, as gifts for other people, Et Cetera. Some of us keep arguing that MOTU needs to be expensive figures due to lack of demand. Others of us keep arguing that the high prices are the source of the lack of demand.

Well, my point is that this is not really the place to reach new fans. People see that Toyguru was frequently on here, various character polls that were done, etc. Untapped he-fans would not be regulars on he-man.org I would say. I will ask you where was Mattel going to reach new fans? Here? Cons? Maybe browsing some other collector sites? It's all the same people (even if the names are different..)
    All the major toy collector sites covered MOTUC at length. The big ones still do.
    And the bigger MOTU & POP Facebook groups are comprised in part by people who already know about this line as well, and talk about it regularly.

In regards to the He-Man.Org online polls that Mattel looked at, they were open to the public (except for one time while a security improvement was being made), and those polls were talked about on other toy sites and on FB groups, so they weren't a secret or only accessible to a select audience.

As far as conventions go, Mattel has had a major presence at SDCC since 2001, and was also at NYCC for a few years. While MOTUC has been in existence, it was promoted at those shows.

So where could they have reached new fans? I really want to know because if there's MOTU & POP fans out there you know of that aren't aware of this toy line, who are at a huge site or in a huge concentration somewhere, then that is very important info. I'm dead serious!

So where could they have reached new fans? I really want to know because if there's MOTU & POP fans out there you know of that aren't aware of this toy line, who are at a huge site or in a huge concentration somewhere, then that is very important info. I'm dead serious!

IMO, they are at the stores -- which is the last place Mattel thought to look for them.

It's the people buying Ninja Turtles, WWE, Dragon Ballz, Et. Cetera. t's just a question of whether you can find a way to get them to buy some MOTU figures.

Clearly, pricing is critical. If you have $25 to spend on your kids, are you going to buy one He-man figure for them to "share" , or 3 ninja turtles from Playmates??

If anyone is wondering, I don't have kids. But I now have a bunch of nieces and nephews I am buying for and it's been pretty discouraging not being able to get them some MOTU figures. But it seems like we are moving in the right direction with these other companies.

Honestly the best thing I think they could have done to bring in new fans would be to expand the line. A bulk of MOTU characters have been done. Are there a lot more? Yes! Are there a lot more than new fans would even recognize? No. I think what Mattel did with making Thundercats Classics totally compatible with MOTUC was a great move that in the long run would have brought new people to MOTUC. Expanding to Bravestar, Warlord, DC Superheroes, all would have been great. But would those new fans want anything more than the iconic characters? Maybe.
    What Hasbro has done right with their lines is that they've maintained compatibility, even across properties.
    Ultimately the answer isn't going to be found with people that are collecting this line, the answer is with people that are on the fence or don't collect it. Ask them what has kept them from diving in or what would get them to dive in?
    I was tempted by Star Wars for the last decade but stayed away, too big of a pool to dive into and just didn't want to do it. The new Jabba Skiff that's on HasbroLab pulled me in.
    Even MOTUC, I started when the line started, but then I stopped after about 10 figures. The inclusion of POP and the Giants pulled me back in. That we weren't just getting He-man stuff but an entire universe in one style and scale sucked me in.
    One obvious hurdle is wanting to dive into a line but not being able to get the main characters. Go back in time 3 years and I'm sure anyone tempted to collect the line that logged onto Ebay to fine He-Man, Teela, Fisto, Shadow Weaver, Beast Man, etc all going for mad money was turned off instantly. It was a line that you had to collect as it came out or you were out. And none of that secondary market money went into the line. I know Mattycollector was broke but once they realized they had a hit on their hands, they should have budgeted for Evergreen characters to be on the site and available.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Well, we are seeing what is happening to collector's lines. They are tanking.

Bandai just decided to pack it in on Power Rangers. And anyone who thinks Hasbro will do any better is fooling themselves. They have their own problems. My Walmart has Black Series figures in various sizes that they literally can't give away (Finn ). Collectors don't want them. Kids don't want them. They are marked down to $5 and just sitting there. Marvel Legends are 95% parts reuse garbage and the majority of them get picked up a Ross or TJ Maxx solely for the Build-A-Figure piece. Marvel Universe is dead, I mean resting....

Toys are going back to being for kids. Collector's lines are either going to mail away or will go away entirely.

IMO, they are at the stores -- which is the last place Mattel thought to look for them.

Clearly, pricing is critical. If you have $25 to spend on your kids, are you going to buy one He-man figure for them to "share" , or 3 ninja turtles from Playmates??
    I feel what you're saying about the stores but, unfortunately, it's not realistic.

For starters, a toy company just can't make a toy line and put it into stores. The retailers have to want to buy into a line. And the toy lines they feel most confident with are the ones that have entertainment drivers; something that brings people in to buy related merchandise.

The one time we did have a retail presence with Classics was the TRU 2-packs with MOTUC vs DCU. And those didn't do so great. And as much as we all love MOTU, simply putting it on a shelf doesn't translate into sales. We see products all the time that fail at retail and are clearanced out.

As far as price, I think we'd all love to pay less. But Classics is priced for the size of the audience. The fewer sold, the more expensive they are to cover the production, mostly the tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Ultimately the answer isn't going to be found with people that are collecting this line, the answer is with people that are on the fence or don't collect it. Ask them what has kept them from diving in or what would get them to dive in?
    You figure out the formula on that one and you are going to be a wealthy man!

One obvious hurdle is wanting to dive into a line but not being able to get the main characters. ...I know Mattycollector was broke but once they realized they had a hit on their hands, they should have budgeted for Evergreen characters to be on the site and available.
    They tried the Evergreen items and they just sat there, sad to say. There simply wasn't any significant number of people coming late into the line.

If the line started booming more and more each year, I'm sure we would have seen more and more re-issues to satisfy an increased interest in the line so all those new customers could fill in holes in their collection and hopefully stay invested in the line and future product. But MOTUC never had that type of interest. Its peak was 2011, going in 2012. And even its peak wasn't huge compared to when the line started.

But we've been a pretty dedicated and steady customer base for MOTUC. We decline year to year, but it's a slow decline. My own personal hope is it will plateau soon and the line will keep going because we're a fixed audience. Guess we'll find out as time progresses. Because it would be amazing if this was the little line that couldn't be stopped!

Toys are going back to being for kids. Collector's lines are either going to mail away or will go away entirely.
    I agree with that. We're an aging base (us adult collectors). The generation that followed us isn't into collecting toys, at least not nearly at the level we are.
    It really bums me out because I'd love for all of us to be here when we're 60, just as numerous as now, discussing MOTU and POP toys, with a bunch of 50, 40, 30 and 20 year-olds here with us doing the same.