Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any chance that the MOTU license can go back to Mattel

I'm sure that I'll be hated for saying this, but I think MOTU Classics and MOTU in general has seen it's HayDay come and go. That doesn't mean all merchandise will dry up and die soon....I just don't see a huge rise in popularity ever happening again.

I've been a fan since day one, and always will be. But most of today's kids aren't into simple toys. They are much more entertained by cell phones, social media, and hand held electronics.

As always, opinions may vary.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; March 4, 2018 at 04:32pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm sure that I'll be hated for saying this, but I think MOTU Classics and MOTU in general has seen it's HayDay come and go. It doesn't mean all merchandise will dry up and die soon....I just don't see a huge rise in popularity ever happening again.

As always, I could be wrong, but that's just my opinion.
    It's definitely going to take one heck of a movie and/or cartoon to refresh things. But, I do agree the heyday is probably gone. MOTU's time in the 80s as a billion dollar engine will probably never be repeated.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2019!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's definitely going to take one heck of a movie and/or cartoon to refresh things. But, I do agree the heyday is probably gone. MOTU's time in the 80s as a billion dollar engine will probably never be repeated.
    No this is true But we who Grew up with the original toys and the Filmation Cartoon have kept it alive from 2008 to the present and hopefully as Super 7 dials thing in better, maybe a few more years. But seriously Super7 needs to use better paints and have the factory use more than just one very thin coat because were seeing plastic bleedthrough and the thin paint peeling off

I mean look at hawke... Black plastic showing though the Torso (Black Plastic Really?) and look how thin the paint is thats peeling off.

These pics are from org members who got their figures in this condition.

Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

Just a thought: Apart from the movie (which as far as I'm concerned, isn't a thing until it actually is), perhaps MOTU could get the Voltron: Legendary Defender treatment. By that I mean: Voltron's gotten a pretty decent spike up in general popularity, and a fresh new audience, new toys, etc, without (imo) sacrificing the essence of what made the original great, or alienating (all but the most close-minded of) the original fanbase? Perhaps MOTU could revive through Netflix, as such? (Makes me pine for what could have been if, say, the MVP show had been a Netflix thing, rather than a traditional broadcast show, as in: free of all usual network broadcast pressures and whatnot).
    Top 10 MOTUC: Shokoti > Shadow Weaver > Faker > Fang-or > Vykor > Blade > Scareglow > Huntara > Scorpia > Skeletor

The ironic thing is that if a movie is ever made, there's a good chance that the characters looks will be 'Hollywood-ized' like SuperHero Movie costumes, so they wont look like the classic figures.

My point being that even if this happens and MATTEL makes movie figures, I probably won't want them.
    Odd Man Out

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Timeless One View Post
    Perhaps MOTU could revive through Netflix?
    I'm hoping that the She-Ra reboot might lay the groundwork there for an eventual return to the Eternian side of things (and in my wildest dreams, spinning off the Trollans into their own series vs. Lady Slither and her forces, etc., hahaha, yeah right, going back to sleep now).
    • IF HARMONY IS THE KEY, THEN WHAT THE FRICK IS THE LOCK?
    • Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Star View Post
    I'm hoping that the She-Ra reboot might lay the groundwork there for an eventual return to the Eternian side of things (and in my wildest dreams, spinning off the Trollans into their own series vs. Lady Slither and her forces, etc., hahaha, yeah right, going back to sleep now).
    From what I've heard so far about She-Ra, it reminds me more of Steven Universe than Voltron. I'm sure She-Ra will get new merchandise, but I'd be surprised if it was a huge success in the girls' toy isles.
    I get the feeling that the new She-Ra show might get some new fans into She-Ra, but will be more popular with teens and adults than it will be with children.

Hopefully, a new MOTU movie, if it comes out soon, will get MOTU figures back in the toy isles in a big way, but figures from movie lines tend not to be great figures and more movie lines fail than succeed.

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    From what I've heard so far about She-Ra, it reminds me more of Steven Universe than Voltron. I'm sure She-Ra will get new merchandise, but I'd be surprised if it was a huge success in the girls' toy isles.
    I get the feeling that the new She-Ra show might get some new fans into She-Ra, but will be more popular with teens and adults than it will be with children.

Hopefully, a new MOTU movie, if it comes out soon, will get MOTU figures back in the toy isles in a big way, but figures from movie lines tend not to be great figures and more movie lines fail than succeed.
    I'd love to see some MOTU movie toys. I would like to see some She-Ra toys along the lines of the Super Hero Girls. Those seem to sell well, and they're at a good price point. The other thing I like about the Super Hero Girls is that they are durable! One of the things that I remember in dealing with adult collector toys is how fragile they are and how I have to be careful with them. Seeing little girls drag around the Super Hero Girls reminds me of when I was little with MOTU - those were darn near indestructible. Nobody ever has a broken neck peg with the SHG or the original line!

But. For my money, that's where I think the She-Ra merchandise will go - in a format similar to that. I wouldn't be surprised if Mattel wouldn't be able to convince the folks behind the 12" She-Ra figure to come work on those. I think that would be the best situation all around - folks who have the passion to work on the project meeting a popular format that will be affordable for the kids.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    From what I've heard so far about She-Ra, it reminds me more of Steven Universe.
    Funny, that; She-Ra reminds me of Steven Universe too, in certain ways.

• Steven is a half-human, half-Gem who is coming to terms with powers he didn't know he had, or fully understand. Adora is a half-human, half-Eternian who is coming to terms with powers she didn't know she had, or fully understand.
    • Steven was raised by Gems, and came to believe that they were benevolent, and not bent on Earth's destruction. He quickly learned otherwise once he started coming into his powers. Adora was raised by the Horde, and came to believe that they were benevolent, and not bent on Etheria's destruction. She quickly learned otherwise once she started coming into her powers.
    • Both fight against the invaders of their respective worlds with the eventual help of close family and friends.

It checks out! Needless to say, I'm kinda looking forward to it!
    I'm sure that there are other similarities to be drawn, but I'm too tired to dig for them right now...
    Last edited by Wandering Star; March 4, 2018 at 09:46pm. Reason: A word.
    • IF HARMONY IS THE KEY, THEN WHAT THE FRICK IS THE LOCK?
    • Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

Heroic Warrior
    IMO If Mattel had released the next two waves of Filmation figs before S7 took over I probably wouldn't have bothered with S7 and just ended collecting Classics. I just don't like the "feel" of these figs compared to how Mattel manufactured them. The Ultimates were pretty good but from what I understand were made at a Mattel factory. I would prefer Mattel continue making Classics but will still support S7 for at least the next wave of Filmation figs, ill have to see for later waves.

This.

The sad reality is that once we are all dead (fans from the 80's), there will be very little gas left in the MOTU tank. Sure, there will be small groups of fans here and there... it may even reach cult status with some gen X and Yers, but the heyday has come and gone.

Even with a big-budget movie, or cartoon series... MOTU faces an uphill battle what with competition in the form of Apple, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo... just look at how hard G.I. Joe has to fight to remain relevant, and they have an almost constant presence in the toy aisles plus two movies. ThunderCats, JEM, and Ghostbusters all tried a big comeback, and we know how that went...

Quote Originally Posted by Bjjer View Post
    IMO If Mattel had released the next two waves of Filmation figs before S7 took over I probably wouldn't have bothered with S7 and just ended collecting Classics. I just don't like the "feel" of these figs compared to how Mattel manufactured them. The Ultimates were pretty good but from what I understand were made at a Mattel factory. I would prefer Mattel continue making Classics but will still support S7 for at least the next wave of Filmation figs, ill have to see for later waves.
    Mattel should have gone straight to retail with the Club Grayskull line.

They were cheaper than CC, they were recognizable characters, they had extreme nostalgia factor, and they just plain look good! (Although, they would have probably had to move to blister cards...)

This could have rekindled a bit of MOTU relevancy, and brought in more fans to the property and more money to Mattel. They could have partnered with BCI/Mill Creek and DC Comics too in order to have product available on multiple websites and specialty / comicbook stores.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    I mean look at hawke... Black plastic showing though the Torso (Black Plastic Really?) and look how thin the paint is thats peeling off.

These pics are from org members who got their figures in this condition.

https://i.imgur.com/P5e9Swf.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xmQfQaE.jpg
    Yikes.

The toy companies need to be careful. They are going too far in the other direction. They think that any character who appeared in major media will sell. That is not the nature of figures. Hasbro is having trouble.
    Nobody wants Erso, Andor, Finn, Et. Cetera. It doesn't matter that they appeared in movies. It does not even matter if people enjoyed the characters. They don't make cool figures. They are boring. The action figure aisle has always been a flamboyant, extravagent place. Monsters, Wookies, Transformers, robots, Warriors, Mutagen Man, Green tigers, Et. Cetera. Take a figure like Finn and stick him in the same aisle with that crowd and it just looks pathetic and makes Hasbro's execs look clueless.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'm sure that I'll be hated for saying this, but I think MOTU Classics and MOTU in general has seen it's HayDay come and go. That doesn't mean all merchandise will dry up and die soon....I just don't see a huge rise in popularity ever happening again.

I've been a fan since day one, and always will be. But most of today's kids aren't into simple toys. They are much more entertained by cell phones, social media, and hand held electronics.

As always, opinions may vary.

Popularity isn't static. Transformers seems to have lost a lot of steam as of late. Nobody liked the last 2 movies I don't think. It the popularity of transformers can go down, the popularity of MOTU can go up... Not sure how high, but I definitely feel like the property can become more popular with the younger crowd.

Does anyone remember those garbage MOTU Hot Wheels that were in the store like 5 years? I hate to pick on those, but those show how Mattel was with the property as a potential retail commodity. Seriously, they couldn't sneak in a Road Ripper or something in with them?? And those were pretty much the only thing MOTU that you could find at a retail store at the time.

Come to think of it, I could go for some diecast mini MOTU vehicles. Make it happen Super7/Funko/Loyal Subjects!
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    The toy companies need to be careful. They are going too far in the other direction. They think that any character who appeared in major media will sell. That is not the nature of figures. Hasbro is having trouble.
    Nobody wants Erso, Andor, Finn, Et. Cetera. It doesn't matter that they appeared in movies. It does not even matter if people enjoyed the characters. They don't make cool figures. They are boring. The action figure aisle has always been a flamboyant, extravagent place. Monsters, Wookies, Transformers, robots, Warriors, Mutagen Man, Green tigers, Et. Cetera. Take a figure like Finn and stick him in the same aisle with that crowd and it just looks pathetic and makes Hasbro's execs look clueless.
    I dunno. Someone could have made the same case back in the 80s about figures of Luke, Obi Wan, Han and Leia.

Some adult collectors may not be keen on the new characters, but a lot of adults (in general) like them. But moreso, the kids like them in the way we liked the characters we grew up with in the 80s.

Brian Posehn made a good case about things like that in one of his latest comedy routines. He was one of those people who hated the prequels and railed against them. But then the new movies came out and he had fun with the nostalgia. But he also now has a little boy. And his son loved them, and didn't see things through the nostalgic, unwavering eyes some adults have about change or new characters. And Brian ended up having a better appreciation of the films, to the point he even ended up arguing with a friend (pretty sure it was comic book writer Rick Remender) because Rick hated the newest films for reasons similar to why they didn't like the prequels. And now Brian found himself defending Star Wars for the first time in a long time.

Then, his son asked if he could watch the prequels. And Brian talked about how he wouldn't even have those movies in his house prior to that. But when his son asked, he gave in. And he said watching them with his son was fun, as was seeing how much his son enjoyed them, for reasons similar to why Brian loved Star Wars when he was young. And that's when he realized those movies weren't for the older, less flexible Star Wars fan, but for a new generation.

And I think he's right about a lot of that. If we stay in a mode where everything in MOTU and POP has to reflect exactly what we enjoyed 35 years ago, we're going to get stuck in a rut. We're not going to be able to enjoy a new take, or new characters, or new takes on the old designs, etc; a new take that will be more about creating something for a new generation of fans. We can't and shouldn't expect a repeat of what they did 35 years ago.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

I dunno. Someone could have made the same case back in the 80s about figures of Luke, Obi Wan, Han and Leia.

Nope, you couldn't. Because those figures you mentioned were cutting edge. We didn't have figures in our collections that were that nice. Previously, people were collecting crappy Mego's. Those things were pretty horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    Nope, you couldn't. Because those figures you mentioned were cutting edge. We didn't have figures in our collections that were that nice. Previously, people were collecting crappy Mego's. Those things were pretty horrible.
    A lot of people grew up with Mego and love them. And, IMO, they definitely have their charm, and are not crappy or "pretty horrible."

It's all about individual perspective. You like what you like, and others like what they like.

A lot of people grew up with Mego and love them. And, IMO, they definitely have their charm, and are not crappy or "pretty horrible."

It's all about individual perspective. You like what you like, and others like what they like.

Right, but as far as sculpting and paintwork goes, totally inferior to the SW figures that came later.

I don't hate Mego's. But they were blown away by SW and then, later, looked even more dated against MOTU, Thundercats, Etc. Some Mego stuff was actually well done. I believe the Black Hole figures were made by Mego and I loved all of those. But those were later Mego's and did not precede Star Wars.

- - - Updated - - -

Mego started making better figures after SW, but the humans were still terrible. I mean, look at this guy.

draco0630.jpg

His face is all glossy. His eyes don't look good. He has ugly metal pins or something in his shoulders and arms. Highly visible articulation cuts.... It's just not a nice looking action figure.

I can't really agree with you there. The first wave SW figures from Kenner were a huge disappointment to me as a kid who'd been playing with the Micronauts. IMO the only reason they sold was the license. They have nearly no articulation (hip, shoulder, neck) and the paint tended towards the basic and the sculpts themselves were very basic (I remember Luke's hair looking like a bright yellow painted lump in particular with a visible seam on the sides of the head). They also had - again IMO - a huge design flaw in how the lightsabers (molded into the arms!) worked combined with the easy breaking point on the tip of the lighsaber piece. Sure the later figures improved (as near as I can tell they ditched the molded light sabers at least), but that original wave...?

I'd generally take Mego's somewhat Micronauts influence 3 3/4" figures (Buck Rogers, Black Hole) over the Kenner figures - even with the visible bolt joints. But then I'm a fan of the Micronauts as I said, and these figures owe more than a passing debt to that line.

I'd also take them over Mego's own more Kenner SW influenced Star Trek The Motion Picture line as well. That said, I'll agree with you that the faces weren't that great on the Mego 3 3/4" figures of the late 70s - I'd just argue they're not really that much different from the Kenner SW stuff. In fact the only figures in the 3 3/4" scale I remember as a kid having halfway decent face paints was in lines that post-dated that original SW line by a whole lot (like Mattel's Flash Gordon line in 1979).

I never liked the Mego Humans, including the Black Hole human characters, I should add. Although I loved those robots.

I just thought they felt and looked cheap compared to similar figures. Some of the early Star Wars figures were pretty terrible. The first Han was kind of awful, heh. But they quickly got better and Bespin Han was a nice-looking figure (even if it didn't look like the actor.). And R2 had the fun clicking mechanism, but his controls were just a sticker. The plastic capes were laughable, of course. The lightsabers did not bother me too much. I removed them from the figures arms and that was that.

I remember being disappointed when I got Buck Rogers. I just thought he looked kind of terrible and felt kind of flimsy. And I wished Kenner had made him instead of Mego.

SW figures did certainly improve after the first wave. But even in removing the light saber you still had a gaping hole in the right arm. The subsequent waves offering a hand gun and a stand alone light saber made more sense.

I think the rubber joint on the buck rogers figures had issues (I know there's some weirdness with late 70's rubber and I'm not sure if that was the problem or if it was a general construction issue). I know the ones we had were a lot looser than the micronauts had been (and I seem to recall my Black Hole figures being slightly better in that respect). I will give it to Kenner that not relying on rubber connectors let the SW figures live through a lot more and rougher play than the Mego ones.

lets get the thread back on track. This isn't about Mego or Hasbro, it's about Mattel
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

My feeling is that if Mattel does make more He-Man figures it won't be in the "Classics" style. Whether that's for a movie in a few years or a decade from now when they decide to revisit the brand in someway to keep the IP alive (if nothing else) I don't know.

But if Super 7 ends Classics, I don't see Mattel or anyone else picking it up to run with.

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post
    My feeling is that if Mattel does make more He-Man figures it won't be in the "Classics" style. Whether that's for a movie in a few years or a decade from now when they decide to revisit the brand in someway to keep the IP alive (if nothing else) I don't know.

But if Super 7 ends Classics, I don't see Mattel or anyone else picking it up to run with.
    And therein lies the problem... there is nothing left to pick up.

Sure, there is the rest of vintage New Adventures and a whole slew of other characters that hardcore fans want, but the reality of it is that Mattel delivered more product than anyone ever dreamed. All of the major characters were addressed - some multiple times - and almost every other major and minor character was made before Mattel bowed out.

Here is where it gets tough for Super7. Without the Club Grayskull line, their lineup would not include big-hitters like Teela, Duncan, Hordak, and Trike... they are definitely going to have an uphill battle selling some of the characters who are not easily recognizable to potential buyers...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    And therein lies the problem... there is nothing left to pick up.

Sure, there is the rest of vintage New Adventures and a whole slew of other characters that hardcore fans want, but the reality of it is that Mattel delivered more product than anyone ever dreamed. All of the major characters were addressed - some multiple times - and almost every other major and minor character was made before Mattel bowed out.

Here is where it gets tough for Super7. Without the Club Grayskull line, their lineup would not include big-hitters like Teela, Duncan, Hordak, and Trike... they are definitely going to have an uphill battle selling some of the characters who are not easily recognizable to potential buyers...
    QFT.

Very well said, ORNCLOWN.
    Odd Man Out

I do agree that we are basically at the point where the major characters are released. Despite the fact that I personally think the NA characters are unsung gems in the line and would love to see more, the characters that 'everyone' knows are long gone unless they get "Ultimate" re-releases or some alternate version (like the movie version) is released.

I think there's room for a niche product - Super 7 seems to agree or we wouldn't be here - for a few more years, but whether Super 7 can overcome the odds and deliver that nice product to that nice market is another thing entirely.

Heroic Warrior

Some adult collectors may not be keen on the new characters, but a lot of adults (in general) like them. But moreso, the kids like them in the way we liked the characters we grew up with in the 80s.

Brian Posehn made a good case about things like that in one of his latest comedy routines. He was one of those people who hated the prequels and railed against them. But then the new movies came out and he had fun with the nostalgia. But he also now has a little boy. And his son loved them, and didn't see things through the nostalgic, unwavering eyes some adults have about change or new characters. And Brian ended up having a better appreciation of the films, to the point he even ended up arguing with a friend (pretty sure it was comic book writer Rick Remender) because Rick hated the newest films for reasons similar to why they didn't like the prequels. And now Brian found himself defending Star Wars for the first time in a long time.

Then, his son asked if he could watch the prequels. And Brian talked about how he wouldn't even have those movies in his house prior to that. But when his son asked, he gave in. And he said watching them with his son was fun, as was seeing how much his son enjoyed them, for reasons similar to why Brian loved Star Wars when he was young. And that's when he realized those movies weren't for the older, less flexible Star Wars fan, but for a new generation.

And I think he's right about a lot of that. If we stay in a mode where everything in MOTU and POP has to reflect exactly what we enjoyed 35 years ago, we're going to get stuck in a rut. We're not going to be able to enjoy a new take, or new characters, or new takes on the old designs, etc; a new take that will be more about creating something for a new generation of fans. We can't and shouldn't expect a repeat of what they did 35 years ago.
    Everything you said pretty much "hits the nail on the head". We wouldn't have this awesome collection if it was just the G1 versions of the Masters. Branching out on the stories and characters are not only necessary, but fun.
    And maybe this is wrong, but I think it would be kind of fun to see Disney/Hasbro acquire the property and do a proper "MCU" to the Masters.