Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is there any chance that the MOTU license can go back to Mattel

The problem with Mattel working on this is they are too big. They need a dedicated engineer, designer and marketing person, and finding people to do this in there spare time is not easy. Plus all MOTU rights go back to Universal in 2021 and Mattel works 3 years ahead which means 2021 is already underway. This movie really needed to come out in 2013 for a trilogy to work under Mattel.

So try to go easy on Super 7. With such a limited audience they are doing all they can. MOTUC is not an easy line to manage! We have very high expectations and very low numbers of actual buyers. It is not a formula that works for production or retail. I urge people to be grateful for what we get!
    Last edited by Toyguru; March 11, 2018 at 12:58pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    The problem with Mattel working on this is they are too big. They need a dedicated engineer, designer and marketing person, and finding people to do this in there spare time is not easy. Plus all MOTU rights go back to Universal in 2021 and Mattel works 3 years ahead which means 2021 is already underway. This movie really needed to come out in 2013 for a trilogy to work under Mattel.

So try to go easy on Super 7. With such a limited audience they are doing all they can. MOTUC is not an easy line to manage! We have very high expectations and very low numbers of actual buyers. It is not a formula that works for production or retail. I urge people to be grateful for what we get!
    This.

As I've said a few times, while concerns with QC are valid, people seem to think a company that's as small as S7 should have had perfection right out of the gate.

While desirable, even larger companies have issues.

I can't count how many times I found Slave Leia's from Hasbro with derp eye, both on the SW Black figures and the 3.75" ones. It doesn't excuse obvious QC screw ups, but if Hasbro can't make perfect figures and they've been doing it HOW long, crucifying S7 for their first "official" Classics and CG lines is unwarranted.

I think people are too quick to bring out the torch and pitchforks, but I don't think criticisms regarding things like Tri-Klop's head shouldn't be made because that is a legitimate screw up of something that shouldn't have happened.

Personally, I look forward to wave 2.

KARG! Dylamug!

I'm confident the issues present in the first wave will be addressed and rectified so they do not occur in the second.

If they persist, then I think people would be justified in polishing their pitchforks.
    Good Traders:
    fbiagentcooper, The_Donster, Captain Miro, Satonic, grimghost, robb

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyguru View Post
    I urge people to be grateful for what we get!
    I see this response a lot and it never goes over well with me. At $140+ a set, they're not giving these things away. Add in waiting 10 months, it's like putting salt in an open wound. If the price was lower or someone was giving it to me, I could accept that. Ive seen better figs in this line and because of that, I refuse to accept "be grateful for what we get".

Hey Scott, awesome! that's great return, always a pleasure hear from you insight infos

please someone explain, what does losing rights mean?!! I guess Universal will be involved in partnership with Dreamworks but solely for some animated-side project, honestly I want to believe Sony will get made a proper movie before rights will expire in 2019 ouch!
    and BTW I suspect motuc Snake Mountain would have been done by the time of a third movie being released (2017?!), but then Marvel entered the game with Thor and they did their trilogy instead lol
    you can't do an hell of a prototype like that and then nothing sigh, that's a pity for the amazing work done by the 4H

and CG being made "only in a movie year"?!!!! thankfully not! ....
    yeah sometimes still can't believe we got playset, vehicles, oversized items, sdcc exclusives and even... gorpo, well maybe the last one not really haaa
    Last edited by Triklops 1; March 11, 2018 at 05:36pm.
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."

2021 gives Super7 three more years and at 16 figures a year that's a possible 64 more figures we can get
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    2021 gives Super7 three more years and at 16 figures a year that's a possible 64 more figures we can get
    Super7 have a license from Universal in order to do the Filmation stuff so it doesn't necessarily mean Super7 could not continue beyond 2021. It just means they would only deal with Universal rather than both Mattel and Universal which they do right now.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Ghost In The Machine Staff Of Ka's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMaynor View Post
    I see this response a lot and it never goes over well with me. At $140+ a set, they're not giving these things away. Add in waiting 10 months, it's like putting salt in an open wound. If the price was lower or someone was giving it to me, I could accept that. Ive seen better figs in this line and because of that, I refuse to accept "be grateful for what we get".
    100% this! I dont get the reviewers and so many fans whitewashing the issues with these waves, Yes Fangor ,Quake are great, Lodar is really good.....but issues with unasked for swapped colors,terrible tooling, bad assembly (Tri klops Visor,reversed abdomens etc) and ..well...Hawke! And seeing so many people coming up with 'Hacks' to make the figures better....Really?

I dont get the attitude that this is ok and to suck it up when we are talking about $40+ Figures (add in postage and conversion for us international buyers) as well as the almost years wait to 'get the best figures to the collectors'...No sorry. Every collector here deserves better. (dont even start me on the latest pouty 'We wont show prototypes or works in progress as collectors get unrealistic expectations' thing.....Sorry but I think the Expectation that we get EXACTLY what the 4h sculpt and you've sold the figures on as 100% realistic.)

Im hoping like hell they take all of these issues and fix them, I hope we see wave two exactly as the prototypes and NO hips,necks or color issues. But can we stop pretending like this wave is fine....and can S7 please address it without smirking as though so many of their market are dribbling idiots.
    Drowning in a Sea of Plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    100% this! I dont get the reviewers and so many fans whitewashing the issues with these waves, Yes Fangor ,Quake are great, Lodar is really good.....but issues with unasked for swapped colors,terrible tooling, bad assembly (Tri klops Visor,reversed abdomens etc) and ..well...Hawke! And seeing so many people coming up with 'Hacks' to make the figures better....Really?

I dont get the attitude that this is ok and to suck it up when we are talking about $40+ Figures (add in postage and conversion for us international buyers) as well as the almost years wait to 'get the best figures to the collectors'...No sorry. Every collector here deserves better. (dont even start me on the latest pouty 'We wont show prototypes or works in progress as collectors get unrealistic expectations' thing.....Sorry but I think the Expectation that we get EXACTLY what the 4h sculpt and you've sold the figures on as 100% realistic.)
    If Mattel had released figures of this quality (where 1/3 of what's shipped has some type of error) back in 2008/09, I guarantee MOTUC would not have lasted as long as it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Staff Of Ka View Post
    Im hoping like hell they take all of these issues and fix them, I hope we see wave two exactly as the prototypes and NO hips,necks or color issues. But can we stop pretending like this wave is fine....and can S7 please address it without smirking as though so many of their market are dribbling idiots.
    Cutting Super7 some slack is one thing, but pretending that these figures only have minor nits to pick is doing a huge disservice to the fans and the manufacturer.

I have to laugh at the "just be glad we're even getting anything!" lines. These aren't hand-outs... we have paid read: A LOT of money for these figures and in today's internet-driven, social media world, fans have an avenue and a right to voice their concerns. It only helps the product get better. (That is, when the manufacturer decides to listen...)
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Well, we have to be careful that this thread doesn't turn into just another super7 rant thread, as there's probably enough of those...

I just want to know why Mattel has not and apparently will not put out some diecast MOTU vehicles under Hot Wheels. I see Star Trek ships and Batman related vehicles when I am at the store. They are a bit bigger than a basic Hot Wheels car and I find them to be overpriced at around eight dollars. But it would be hard to resist some MOTU vehicles at that size.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    If Mattel had released figures of this quality (where 1/3 of what's shipped has some type of error) back in 2008/09, I guarantee MOTUC would not have lasted as long as it did.
    1/3?!

More like 3/3 or 100%!!!
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    1/3?!

More like 3/3 or 100%!!!
    Sorry but I have to disagree here. The figures I received are good. Not perfect but good nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Soothe777 View Post
    Sorry but I have to disagree here. The figures I received are good. Not perfect but good nonetheless.
    Mine are good too and I'll probably state for the 20th time that the only thing that really bothers me is the female hip pegs and allowing one small and one medium to be used is disgraceful as it really does make the figure look odd. One of my Teela's definitely has this problem, while my Hawke doesn't. I think my other 2 Teela figures are ok, but it's real hard to tell with her in package.

Overall they really aren't as bad as people are making them out to be.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Heroic Warrior
    Mine were good too thank you S7

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Mine were good too thank you S7
    Mine were great
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

I love these figures. Way more than I expected to. I had two defective figures, but that happens. There was a year where Mattel sent me something like 8 defective figures between MOTU and Ghostbusters. **** happens.

Quote Originally Posted by powerofGS View Post
    With the new movie coming, and hopefully becoming a vehicle for more toys, will Mattel be able to take back the license for the line?
    That is not the right question.

It will revert back to Mattel eventually anyway.

The question should be "Does Mattel want to produce new product" and the answer is "No".

That is why they liscensed it out to Super 7". Had they wanted to continue, they would have. They did not, so they passed it on temporarily.

Should they wish to make movie toys, if a movie actually happens (you have heard of "development hell" right?) they can. Of this I am absolutely certain. Since I do not believe there will be a movie anytime soon, and I'm speaking of years understand, this does not matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DMaynor View Post
    to echo you, I see your type of response to this response and it never goes over well with me. If the question is what we get, or nothing, I vote what we get. That is the intention of responses like that and must be looked at that way. Obviously if the question is would I want everyone 100 percent happy, or many people not happy, of course we all would want everyone happy.

But that is not what it is about. I and many like me (most I would wager) that are still with the line are either non-plussed about so called flaws, or do not even see them as the dire flaws some vocal few see, or even see them as flaws at all. Happy people are less vocal anyway.

So yeah, I am grateful that the line is continuing and continuing to improve. I look back over what Mattel did and realistically they made the best toyline ever for me. Any individual problem pales absolutely in the face of the whole and I could not be more happy it is going. What we have gotten so far is a continuation, though admittedly that "starting over" with a new company has set the line back a bit and they need to (and are) continue to improve.

I know how this works and it works. What we have gotten so far is great and continues what has gone before.

I am grateful for the opportunity to continue the line I love, rather than see it die. That is what these comments mean, and it is why it never goes over well with me when people either fail to realize that or do understand and would rather have nothing over flaws.

If you look at it with perspective you see that we are pretty lucky to be where we are as fans of this property. Let's all hope it gets better and better. I think we can be allowed, if not directly encouraged, to be grateful that fans, that FANS who are in the business fight to produce it under almost overwhelming lack of support or interest compared to other properties.

We are a vocal and passionate fandom. We are also a small niche fandom. What we have gotten is frankly literally amazing and fantastic considering, with full perspective, and only happened because fans with amazing passion were in the position to make it so.

yeah, I'm grateful for that. I support my fellow fans who found a way to make official products that we would want. This has never been driven by a powerful profit motive (which is why it is such a struggle) but by the sheer intensity of fandom within companies.

So yeah, it is basically "this or nothing" and I totally know where my heart lies.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    So yeah, it is basically "this or nothing" and I totally know where my heart lies.
    Sweet! When the line ends, I've got some play-doh lying around, I'll throw together some 'MOTUC' figures for you... and I won't even charge you the whole 40 bucks!!
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!