View Poll Results: How expansive should Club Grayskull get?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want every character that appeared in the Filmation cartoon series - beasts included!

20 27.78%
  • I'd just like another wave or two of the most memorable cartoon characters.

27 37.50%
  • I would be fine if it ends after wave three.

10 13.89%
  • I don't care either way! (I don't collect Club Grayskull!)

15 20.83%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How expansive should Club Grayskull get?

How expansive should Club Grayskull get?

When Mattel first announced the Filmation line of figures, dubbed 2.0 for awhile before it became Club Grayskull, they said that these figures would represent our favorite Filmation characters accurately and in a less-detailed, more cartoonish style.

After Super7 delivers wave 3 of the CG figures we will have gotten a pretty decent number of Filmation styled figures - many of them A-List characters.

Now, the thing is, every character that appeared in the Masters of the Universe show looked different from any other media, some more than others (Clawful and Tung-Lashor for example), so it stands to reason that every character could potentially become part of Club Grayskull at some point.

My question is, how expansive should Club Grayskull become? Would collectors be willing to re-buy their entire MOTUC roster (limited to those who appeared in the show, of course) but, in a less-detailed style? Or, should the line stop after another couple of waves consisting of big-hitters?

Let us know what you think in the thread below!
    Last edited by Ornclown; March 4, 2018 at 01:21am.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**
    It's TIME to finish the New Adventures figure lineup !!!

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    Just choose another wave or two to have some characters like count Marzo or Kobra Khan.
    I prefer Super 7 concentrate on Collector Choice or Vehicles/Beasts.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Same here, i doubt the interest is there for re-collecting a whole bunch of characters previously produced
    as Club Eternia figures ... The attempt for me would be more justifiable if they were
    oriented to the yet to be launched vintage brand as the concept seems quite the same as Motuc's.

Let the Club Grayskull (and its very generic name) open a breach to further Motu media variants once the A-listers are
    made for Filmation: 200X, NA, SOH, Comics, Magazines etc ...
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Sometimes ... Something" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZCUBWFNASk

@Ornclown i have to reply, it is currently my motu dilemma, my personal set of classics is complete at the moment, and yes I'm still wanting to trade hordak for the sdcc variant and maybe add a horde trooper (and who doesn't want a castle grayskull given a chance?)but for all intent mine is complete based on my personal choices. But filmation is so embedded in my childhood I cannot keep myself away from CG. Now will I get version of my collection in CG? My heart says YES but my wallet is not agreeing. Being a realistic guy, I'll keep dreaming to have 2 sets but I can contend myself to at least the filmation episode's regular cast, i.e. the core of the core characters.... heman, skeletor, maa, teela, orko, beastman, trapjaw, evil lyn, sorceress, battlecat/cringer.And I already have heman and trying to re acquire trapjaw i previously traded, so I guess I've started the CG line without knowing it.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; March 4, 2018 at 08:50am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

1 or 2 more waves is fine. A lot of the Filmation characters look so close to figures we already have anyways. Now, I would love a 200x line since those characters look soooo different from the classic version (would still love to have an updated 200x Skeletor and Captain Randor figure).

I wasn't too excited about this line at first, but that changed once I got the most recent wave in hand. There are easily another 20-30 characters I want in Filmation style. It has many years to continue on for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Kittrina, 17) Vizar, 18) Butthead, 19) Nocturna, 20) Melaktha
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Stratos, 4) Prince Adam, 5) Leech, 6) Kobra Khan, 7) Moss Man, 8) Shadow Weaver, 9) Bow, 10) Buzz Off

As much as I love the Filmation cartoon, I had to choose just a couple more waves of the most memorable characters...

I am content with characters like Fang Man, Masque, Lizardman, Shokoti, Stong-Arm, and Shadow Weaver, who, more or less, represent their Filmation counterparts.

I would like to see Club Grayskull versions of Ram Man, Chopper (Jitsu), She-Ra, Battle Cat, Count Marzo, Whiplash, Mantenna, and Zodak.

Others, like Negator, Dragoon, Dree-Elle, Monteeg, Anghast, etc.. have never made it to figure form and would most likely be made in CC with a touch more detail... (then again, after seeing Hawke and Dylamug, maybe not...)

I'm in the "Could Not care Less" gang. Now, I snatched up that Filmation Evilseed when the chance popped up, and I have a Teela and a Sorceress in my Pile O Loot at BBTS, (or reserved), but I cannot fathom another release the line might churn out that I would want.

For me, the collection has always been about the Classics aesthetic, with as many unique characters as possible. I want these figures to keep coming in CC (with the Classics details, that is). (I would have prefferred that Hawke, Dial-A-Mug, and Granita had more such detail.
    MOTUC Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Captain Randor, The Great Black Wizard, Lady Slither, Spirit, Tuvar, Baddra, Cursed Marzo, Tug-O-War, Scrollos, Songster, Mini-Comics Spirit of Castle Grayskull, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy

I've really gotten to like this CG line. I didn't take advantage of it with the 2.0 figures and now I'm regretting it. I knew the prices on the secondary market were going to be high but not that high. Those dealers are corrupt. I did pre-order all 4 wave 2 characters at least but back to the topic, I think this line could keep going further with more characters. I don't think it should go as long as MOTUC but there are still a lot of cool characters from the cartoons to still release. Now, I wouldn't really include guest characters from the episodes. These characters are what I watched as a kid and what got me into MOTU in the first place as is probably the case for many of you. Keep it going. We still need Stratos, Ram Man, Orko, King Randor, Queen Marleena, Mekaneck, Buzz-off, I'd like to see Moss Man even though he didn't show up very often and then they could also throw in POP figures too. There's still more that could be done if it's in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Palazzolor View Post
    I've really gotten to like this CG line. I didn't take advantage of it with the 2.0 figures and now I'm regretting it. I knew the prices on the secondary market were going to be high but not that high. Those dealers are corrupt. I did pre-order all 4 wave 2 characters at least but back to the topic, I think this line could keep going further with more characters. I don't think it should go as long as MOTUC but there are still a lot of cool characters from the cartoons to still release. Now, I wouldn't really include guest characters from the episodes. These characters are what I watched as a kid and what got me into MOTU in the first place as is probably the case for many of you. Keep it going. We still need Stratos, Ram Man, Orko, King Randor, Queen Marleena, Mekaneck, Buzz-off, I'd like to see Moss Man even though he didn't show up very often and then they could also throw in POP figures too. There's still more that could be done if it's in the cards.
    We already have Eternos Palace Randor and Marlena and Orko will most likely never be redone because they are so close to their Filmation counterparts... Ram-Man and Buzz-Off I would love to see. There are a great many characters that could definitely be a part of Club Grayskull, but I think a lot of people would be upset if guys like Dragoon, Negator, Blackbeard, Anghast, Miro, Melaktha, Monteeg, Morning Star, Tartaran, etc. were made in CG before making it to Collector's Choice.

Heroic Warrior
    Not sure about just one or two more waves, but I'm leaning to the "more memorable" characters. Perhaps A/B listers with very interesting cool minor characters mixed in. I'm already considering passing on most of wave 3 (or Super7 wave 2) because I'm just not that jazzed about MEF and Tung Lashor, and I've never cared much for Merman really. Might just pick up Sorceress and Dial a Mug from BBTS.

Waves 1 and 2 were strong, all-in waves for me. Wave three, not. This is kind of revealing to me my threshold. It's not even necessarily about major vs minor characters per say, as Dial a Mug is not major, he's just very interesting and cool to me. Whereas MEF and Lashor are minor AND relatively dull IMO.

Anyway, keep them coming, though I might just be a cherry picker here on out.
    Last edited by Etherius Eterno; March 11, 2018 at 05:53pm.

Hopefully Club Grayskull will be done soon so they can get back to concentrating on Classics. Having just the main line to worry about would probably also benefit S7.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    For me, the collection has always been about the Classics aesthetic, with as many unique characters as possible. I want these figures to keep coming in CC (with the Classics details, that is). (I would have prefferred that Hawke, Dial-A-Mug, and Granita had more such detail.
    AMEN! This here.

Heroic Warrior
    I want Club Grayskull to produce

Fisto
    Ram man
    Roboto
    Adam
    Jitsu
    Whiplash
    Grizzlor
    Leech
    Mantenna
    Shadow Weaver
    Mekaneck
    Buzz off
    Kobra khan
    Webstor
    Stratos
    Zodac with cosmic chair
    Spikor
    catra and catra cat form
    Frosta
    Entrapta
    Mermista
    Perfuma
    Bow
    Angela
    Glimmer

If we get these I’ll be satisfied

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    We already have Eternos Palace Randor and Marlena and Orko will most likely never be redone because they are so close to their Filmation counterparts... Ram-Man and Buzz-Off I would love to see. There are a great many characters that could definitely be a part of Club Grayskull, but I think a lot of people would be upset if guys like Dragoon, Negator, Blackbeard, Anghast, Miro, Melaktha, Monteeg, Morning Star, Tartaran, etc. were made in CG before making it to Collector's Choice.
    Yeah, I see your point on not redoing Orko but even though we have a pretty close rendition of Eternos Palace Randor, I'd still like to see a Filmation version.
    I agree about not bringing in Dragoon, Negator, etc. They need to focus on the main ones first.

I voted "I dont care either way, I do not collect Club Grayskull" since that is half the truth, but only sorta. I feel it is the right choice to make because as a non-subscriber perhaps my opinion does not (or should not) really matter.

I am glad it exists. Anything that adds to the Classics style of line is great. I did not really see the need, but it is cool. I got Skeletor, I got Clawful, I intend to get Tung Lashor, and maybe Sorceress (to get Koduk Ungol) and probably will try to pick up He-Man eventually, though I am still on the fence.

Once Classics fully, truly ends, I may try to go back and collect the Grayskull line fully, but we'll see when that happens.

Moving forward I still do not think most characters need their Filmation design. But since the line already exists I would not begrudge it continuing as long as there is a market for them. I would like to see it include unmade characters at this point, not just variants. That would open important spaces in Classics and maybe get some Filmation only characters I want into the line. I do not believe that would make everyone happy, but then again what does?

I do believe for people who want Filmation variants of characters they already have in Classics there are plenty left not to include unique characters so they could continue on. I already said I'd like that to change and/or look forward to wholy unique character waves. But they could easily do more waves of just variants.

So I do not exactly collect it, I do not exactly want it to continue status quo, I do like the idea of it continuing, but I am not super invested on how unless it is specifically what I want, which it will not be.

Quote Originally Posted by baronterror View Post
    I would like to see it include unmade characters at this point, not just variants. That would open important spaces in Classics and maybe get some Filmation only characters I want into the line. I do not believe that would make everyone happy, but then again what does?
    But, wouldn't this essentially take characters away from Classics as well?

Guys like Dragoon, Tartaran, and Anghast would look much different if "classicized" rather than just simple Filmation looks. Personally, I could really go either way, but there are some who would really be upset.

The 4 Horsemen did a fantastic job in my view interpreting Filmation characters such as Fang Man, Adora, Razz, Shadow Weaver - even Orko and Randor, into Classics that I have no desire to see these figures re-made in a purely Filmation style. They fit in with my Filmation CG figures perfectly already.

My preferences for future CG figures are Ram man, Stratos, Fisto, Mekaneck, Buzz-off, Jitsu/Chopper, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Spikor, Two-bad, Moss man, Garn, Marzo, Mask of Power villains, Prince Adam, Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Multi-bot, Catra's cat form, Modulok, Rattlor. And tgen Montork and Dree-Elle any way we get them.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

That's really my concern too, those made in Classics which is very much bases on filmation, if to be done in CG might just be almost the same (give shadow weaver and orko some dark pinkish paint and it is done, and how about swift wind and cringer and those hover robots?). But on the other hand they got to make sorceress different, and might go into that direction. I guess we have to wait and see.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; March 17, 2018 at 01:21pm.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swanmarsh View Post
    The 4 Horsemen did a fantastic job in my view interpreting Filmation characters such as Fang Man, Adora, Razz, Shadow Weaver - even Orko and Randor, into Classics that I have no desire to see these figures re-made in a purely Filmation style. They fit in with my Filmation CG figures perfectly already.

My preferences for future CG figures are Ram man, Stratos, Fisto, Mekaneck, Buzz-off, Jitsu/Chopper, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Whiplash, Spikor, Two-bad, Moss man, Garn, Marzo, Mask of Power villains, Prince Adam, Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Multi-bot, Catra's cat form, Modulok, Rattlor. And tgen Montork and Dree-Elle any way we get them.
    Yeah... I don't see any of the "Filmation-style" classics figures being redone in CG. Partly because they already look close enough to Filmation, but mostly because people won't buy them... seriously, what little detail they would have to change is not worth the price of the figure.

The only way more than another wave of these would appeal to me is if it started heavily including POP.
    Thundercats Hooooooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    The only way more than another wave of these would appeal to me is if it started heavily including POP.
    Personally, I would actually love an entirely new MOTUC line dedicated to PoP. Similar to Club Grayskull, but with their own slip-cases and custom Filmation-inspired art and bios on the back.

I want the CG line to continue way past wave 3 or 4 but don't want all filmation characters represented since we have CC for many of those unique characters. I just think the CG line should keep chugging away at characters already made in the CC line, starting with the main cast like Ram Man, Stratos, the Horde, Count Marzo, etc. and going from there. IMO, no need to push characters like Kittrina and Hunga into this line when there are so many variant options left. As far as extremely cartoon styled characters like twiggets, widgets, Starchild and her dads, and remaining Trollans like Yukkers, I do think they could debut solely in the CG line as I doubt we would ever get them in CC.

Widget
    I would like to at least get a Filmation Orko because he was in almost all of the episodes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I just want the continuation of the Classics line. Best and most detailed line EVER! Filmation style is just too simple imo.

I'm a fairly new collector and because my memories of MOTU are based on the cartoon more than the toys I love CG figures. But I already have loads of Filmation-styled CC figures like Shadow Weaver, Randor, Marlena, Orko, She-Ra 1.0 and almost all of the rebellion. Ok sure there are some minor differences but I would rather see vastly different characters like the Horde's Mantenna,Leech, Grizzlor and Entrapta coming than Scorpia, Orko and Madame Razz as they're close enough for me as is. I wouldn't mind them,I just personally want the more vastly different figures to come first. Stratos in CC is very close, but because MEF appeared in CG I'm hesitant to buy any more CC figures who look like their Filmation counterparts because they may still come out in CG!