Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar

Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

I grew up watching and loving the Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon. The same goes for the Filmation She-Ra: Princess of Power cartoon. I still love it, but my heart for Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power always remained with the toys first and foremost. To me, the incredible detail in those figures and corresponding art (Earl Norem, William George, etc...) made the property so stunning. It's why I love the Four Horsemen's treatment of Masters of the Universe Classics starting back in 2008. Improved versions for the modern day. A dream line that still continues (albeit in less production). Filmation rights were acquired, as they should have, and some of the great missing cartoon aspects were introduced in MOTUC.

However, as we hit today, I'm starting to get Filmation fatigue. Half of the Four Horsemen Masters of the Universe releases are Club Filmation. It seems the planned vintage 5.75" style are mostly Filmation versions. It's getting boring to me.

Don't get me wrong, I get that Club Filmation sells better apparently (at least for now as the bigger named variants are out there). These are heavy hitters never made in this style before. Many folks want them. But I can't get around that Filmation style is a more bland, boring, muted, repetitive, and childish Masters of the Universe to me. And now it's seemingly invaded the toy side which never really happened before. I don't feel the need for all this Filmation overload, and it's dulling my enthusiasm. I'd rather see unreleased characters or new MOTUC (like the amazing Fangor). I'd rather see new characters in the vintage 5.75" style.

No. We've never had Filmation characters or versions of He-man, Skeletor, The Horde.

I was quite frankly getting burnt out the last few years of Classics with straight vintage rehashes.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I used to but then I drank a glass of milk and I'm okay now.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Shezar in MOTUC please! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    I used to but then I drank a glass of milk and I'm okay now.
    Ya, Lou Scheimer 100-proof is pretty strong stuff.

I do agree with you. For the 5.75 line, I much prefer new characters instead of Filmation versions of figures we already have. I am okay with their inclusion, since that seems to be what most collectors want. This will bring new life into an old line. I just hope we get a good mix of both Filmation and new characters. For the Classics lines, I just wish they would keep CC and CG separate. I would prefer if they stopped including CG styled figures in CC.
    My top 5 wants for MOTUC: Sharella, Hunga the Harpy, Sagitar, Snake Goddess & Red Beast

I will say that the Classics versions of the characters have become my favorite incarnations of them. I was die hard Filmation, but now I consider the Classics versions to be the default.

I definitely am becoming less and less in favor of Filmation, especially since Super 7 is kind of botching them. Not really excited about the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I will say that the Classics versions of the characters have become my favorite incarnations of them. I was die hard Filmation, but now I consider the Classics versions to be the default.

I definitely am becoming less and less in favor of Filmation, especially since Super 7 is kind of botching them. Not really excited about the future.
    They are mostly botching the females. So maybe only the sorceress will be a hot mess.

I actually love the Filmation figures because those are the characters I watched as a kid while I was collecting the vintage figures. I think they are a great addition to the MOTU toy line. I will say this though...they are overpriced. The Filmation figures shouldn't be priced the same as the classics. There's obviously a difference in tooling and the cost should reflect that. They are very plain and simple just as the cartoon featured them. That's my only gripe and it should be the gripe of everyone else.

Shera's secret heartthrob oulala's Avatar
    Bring on more Filmation! At this point I am pretty much done with the regular line. We’ve had every possible figure coming out and I personally don’t need any C-list obscure character like cook Allen or some rando guy who appeared on one mini comic page. Filmation is what I could never have as a kid and I will continue buying it as long as they make more figures. Can’t wait for Filmation Adam, Adora and She-ra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    The harsh reality is that the Horde were originally intended for POP, and they have always been intended for POP. Filmation developed the characters for the POP cartoon. It's a fact.

Heroic Warrior
    No for me.

Apart from the scattering of Filmation figures in the Mattel released Classics and the recent CG, I feel that Filmation has been under represented over the years. There are so many incarnations of MOTU at the moment and none of them, with the exception PCS, are Filmation.

Yup.

Filmation 2.0's never interested me. Only the new characters we never got.

This takeover of the brands by Filmation is one of the reasons why I am quitting MOTUC.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    Yup.

Filmation 2.0's never interested me. Only the new characters we never got.

This takeover of the brands by Filmation is one of the reasons why I am quitting MOTUC.
    Yup. And the insistence by some that a Filmation character receive a Classics treatment AND a Club Grayskull version has been particularly frustrating. CG being variant only during the Mattel era was fine when they were $20 and we were receiving a full complement of Classics. But now that we’re getting a smattering of figures in a year for nearly double the price, I think it’s time to keep any and all Filmation in the CG line and leave the precious few spots in Collectors Choice for the rest of the factions. And that’s still 50 percent of the figures being produced in a wave that are Filmation.

Totally Dyslexic
    A prefer the Classics approach myself as well.

I donīt mind simple designs like Icer, Fang-Man or Lord Masque but those extra details they came with make them look even better.

The less detail iīm less interested.

Look at Light Hope for example. In Filiation a shimmering light or star and now an impressive detailed figure. Thatīs the MOTU/POP standard i love and appreciate.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Lizorr *Zilora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

We've gotten six Club Grayskull figures from Mattel, and four from Super 7. There's four new CG figures shown, and six vintage Filmation style figures shown. We're on maybe wave 3 for Classics, and wave 1 for the vintage style ones. If you're getting fatigued this early, I don't know what to tell you, that's not fatigue, that's something else.

And no one is forcing you to buy any of it. You can easily just get the Collector's Choice figures from Super 7. I also prefer the toy designs for the figures, so there's definitely Filmation variants I'm skipping. But I'm not at all fatigued by it, they're just getting started. The 5.75 figures don't even have an official release set!

Widget
    I got rid of ALL my classics and replaced with Filmation... The more the merrier, I customize any classics figure into Filmation style and sell it off when the official gets released

Nope I love Filmation. I say bring it on. Classics had 8 years of vintage styled characters. Bring on the Filmation animated figures that we loved from the cartoon
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Kittrina, Melaktha, Stridor, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, Horde Trooper, She-Ra, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor

I'm pretty happy with the filmation figures we've gotten so far. Remaking the vintage figures in the filmation design is a good idea. Also glad we're getting some filmation only characters and I do like the extra details they've added. What I don't want to see is taking some of those filmation only characters that have been made like Strong Arm or Fang Man or Lizard man and remaking those with less details. I think those characters are fine as-is.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

I do not know if I would call what I experience fatigue but it is something.

I absolutely love Filmation. Everything about it Not just the MOTU toon, but all things. Also the toon though, of course. I so totally wished that the accurate Filmation sculpts came out before Classics. I would have gotten them all.

Similar with the Filmation vintage figures. If I was not already focused on Classics I would be head over heels for these. As it is I cannot give the headspace or funds to the idea of collecting them at this time. Glad the're being made, maybe I can go back and get some someday and that is a cheery idea, but right now I am focused on Classics. That has been quite an enjoyable investment of time and money and it is the centerpiece of my collections, far outstripping anything else I collect, and I tend to collect collections.

Classics has changed that. I cannot allow myself to add things at this point, except a rare exception, beyond my focus on Classics.

So...yeah, the Filmation guys just do not fit into my collection outside of certain exceptions. Unique designs (to my eyes) that are essentially new characters like Toung Lashor or Clawful, or with vintage I will have to get He-Ro & Eldor. One day maybe I will allow myself to collect vintage and I would like to, and I would love to add some new vintage figures to the mix. Same with Classics Filmation. But not now.

I am if anything kinda saddened that I am missing out. I would have loved to see this stuff before Classics, or after classics. But right now I just cannot get too involved in it.

Motuc Blister Eater OnlyOneSkeletor's Avatar
    Filmation is the most popular face of the franchise, and its popularity reaches its highest peak these days (for most toys collectors anyway ...), but it is all about a trend here, nothing more. And just like all trends, it will eventually run out of steam to make room for something more exciting in due time (a movie, an animated series etc). Though I am convinced that the Collector's Choice could have continued for a few more years without the help of this nostalgic media, the manufacturer needs to ensuring a smooth start-up by striking hard and gaining maximum visibility through this medium.
    NEW EP "STORIES UNTOLD" OUT NOW!
    Available on: Itunes Store / Apple Music & Amazon
    More info here: https://www.facebook.com/glenlarocheofficiel
    Listen the single "Flee The Moon" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8qrmaFmq0

While I have no interest in Filmation-style figures, I can't say I'm fatigued by them. I simply don't buy them. I'm glad they're making them for those who want them, they're just not for me. I do find it a little annoying that Filmation seems to be the main focus of Super 7's MOTUC continuation, but at the same time, I understand why that is. With traditional MOTUC-style figures, we're down to mostly Z-list characters, while the Filmation line still has plenty of major characters left to be produced. It's obvious which of those lines is going to sell better, regardless of the inherent quality of the figures themselves.
    My only major gripe is figures that are obviously Filmation-styled taking spots in the Collector's Choice waves. That should absolutely never happen, and hopefully wave 2 will be the last we see of that. Can you imagine the reactions if CC figures were eating up spots in CG waves?

Heroic Warrior
    Yes, especially when six out of eight figures per wave are Filmation.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

YES

I need some 200X and i will be happy. I love Filmation too, but I love 200X way more.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

Heroic Warrior
    nope, there hasn't been enough Filmation figs made for fatigue to set in.

Well, I didn't order the He-man/Skeletor wave when they were available. Money was tight, but I should have ordered them --seeing what the aftermarket prices are for those figures are now, heh.

Without those, there's little reason for me to get pumped up and order any of these.

Also, I never bothered to order figures like Batros, Shakotti, Masque, Lizard Man, Etc. I mean they were on Walmart.com on clearance, but I just couldn't bring myself to pick any of them up. I did pick up Plundar, but I kind of felt like it was a waste of $17 or whatever. He just never really got me super excited for some reason.

Not really fatigued, so much as I have just accepted that it's not going to happen with these. I took more of an interest in the 12 inch figures. I like them a lot. They are very unique as far as MOTU figures go.
    Those who can master the kairu can become all-powerful Redakai

I don't feel the need for all this Filmation overload, and it's dulling my enthusiasm. I'd rather see unreleased characters or new MOTUC (like the amazing Fangor). I'd rather see new characters in the vintage 5.75" style.

I didn't order Collector's Choice Wave 1 as I was only interested in Hawke. Wave 2 Collector's Choice I ordered the full set plus multiple extras except for Wrap Trap who I have no interest in and plan to trade or sell him. Without plenty of Filmation I'd have no interest at all in Collector's Choice. While Filmation appears I'm happy to support Collector's Choice but if they only released them as part of Club Grayskull to make way for a more diverse selection in CC I'd be happy with that too.

Aside from Karg, my only real interest is Filmation characters. I might consider the POP She-Ra and Catra variants too that we are missing to complete the vintage line in Classics. So without Filmation I'd be done with collecting MOTU.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Grizzlor, Mantenna, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.