Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    While Filmation is popular right now. ( People say they sell more than CC) I think once the main characters are burned though, Collectors choice is where the longer term money is at for Super 7. If they showed a 200X variant line that would probably sell like crazy too. Hopefully the collectors choice stays strong.
    I think that is a good call. CG has a mainstream appeal now but that audience might become less interested in non core characters. It'll be interesting to watch.
    Vaults of Grayskull - www.vaultsofgrayskull.co.uk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    While Filmation is popular right now. ( People say they sell more than CC) I think once the main characters are burned though, Collectors choice is where the longer term money is at for Super 7. If they showed a 200X variant line that would probably sell like crazy too. Hopefully the collectors choice stays strong.
    200x will never sell better than Filmation!
    Filmation is a dream of more than 30 years, in the time pf the originals figures the people had the fantasy of having figures similar to the cartoon. Some 200x figures are going to sell well, but it's not as popular as Filmation!

Heroic Warrior
    Failmation is a cancer on the line.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by retcon View Post
    Funny from all information it is keeping the line going with better sales so much so that you see Filmation accurate characters outside of the CG line—Not only in CC but heavily anchoring the vintage scale line as well as slotted into all 3 power con exclusive slots

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • IF HARMONY IS THE KEY, THEN WHAT THE FRICK IS THE LOCK?
    • Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

**FACE PALM**

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EmaHalJordan View Post
    That's probably true, but that's not the point that was raised. The question is whether the Filmation fans will be as enthusiastic as Classics fans for obscure characters once the main ones are done, i.e. will third-villager-on-the-right-type characters hold the same appeal? Classics fans enjoy the rarities and support the line to see them produced. Do Filmation fans want the same? If they don't, a Filmation-centric approach might not endure.

That's a bit harsh dude. No one is forcing you to purchase them, and I don't think you would take kindly to someone saying Collectors Choice is a cancer on the line.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

Heroic Warrior
    You're right -- bad phrasing. Apologies.

This line brings out some strong feelings in me, so maybe it is better I just leave commenting behind.

See ya everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by EmaHalJordan View Post
    Filmation is a dream of more than 30 years, in the time pf the originals figures the people had the fantasy of having figures similar to the cartoon. Some 200x figures are going to sell well, but it's not as popular as Filmation!
    I think you should re-read my post. I never stated any of those things.....
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

While I am happy for fans of the Filmation cartoon that are getting these, I myself dont understand the OCD need to have the characters dumbed down to match the cartoon. They were drawn that way because the excessive detail of the figures would have been exorbitantly expensive to animate en masse. They are still the same characters. I would rather see details pushed to the realm of absolute realism. That is my preference though.
    The one thing that IS annoying me is that there are currently much more resources going into Filmation than getting some more characters to expand the MOTU universe. I wont be getting any of the Powercon figs this year because I dont care for the aesthetic of for the cartoonish Trollans. I am glad there are fans getting their MOTU fix, though. I am just impatient.
    I DO wish that Orko had an alternate head that at least had a troll shaped head under the hat instead of just a ball with eyes. Again, that is my preference for detail.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffrod View Post
    While I am happy for fans of the Filmation cartoon that are getting these, I myself dont understand the OCD need to have the characters dumbed down to match the cartoon. They were drawn that way because the excessive detail of the figures would have been exorbitantly expensive to animate en masse. They are still the same characters. I would rather see details pushed to the realm of absolute realism. That is my preference though.
    The one thing that IS annoying me is that there are currently much more resources going into Filmation than getting some more characters to expand the MOTU universe. I wont be getting any of the Powercon figs this year because I dont care for the aesthetic of for the cartoonish Trollans. I am glad there are fans getting their MOTU fix, though. I am just impatient.
    I DO wish that Orko had an alternate head that at least had a troll shaped head under the hat instead of just a ball with eyes. Again, that is my preference for detail.
    Reason people want the dumbed down as you put it simplistic designs is because that’s how they appeared in the cartoon—regardless of why they looked the way they did. Collectors used to always want accurate figures. Back before companies catered to adults we had to settle for made up Batman costumes and spiderman costumes, a simple repainted super powers penguin in lieu of an accurate devito Batmsn Returns Penguin, inaccurate vintage POP toys in the 80s etc. now we are finally getting accurate figures faithful to their source material and some folks are whining wanting made up details ?!?!?

Dc and marvel fans don’t complain when golden age or silver age iconic simplistic looks are used for the dc and marvel characters. They aren’t saying why isn’t there more made up details on the iconic Superman costume or Batman costume so motu fans that want gratuitous inaccurate things added to figures befuddle me. I think people have bought into the modern notion of more is more. Oh the good old days do I miss when simple things could be appreciated rather than requiring everything including the kitchen sink being tossed into a design

please release accurate Filmation of-- , ram man, Leech, whiplash, roboto, shadow weaver, entrapta , adora, moss man, stratos, buzz off, bow, frosta, catra, , webstor, count marzo, icer , mekaneck,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

@degra, spot on sir, well stated.

Last Defender of Trolla Wandering Star's Avatar
    Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    I DO wish that Orko had an alternate head that at least had a troll shaped head under the hat instead of just a ball with eyes.
    ...but Trollans aren't trolls? Discounting Prankster, of course, but he's kind of a special case.
    • IF HARMONY IS THE KEY, THEN WHAT THE FRICK IS THE LOCK?
    • Mo-Larr is canon. Montork is not. Seriously, just WHAT.
    • (This User is Powered By Sarcasm, Autism, Trollan Magic and Just Plain Stubbornness)

TRUE. stop apologizing

Quote Originally Posted by beast brain View Post
    TRUE. stop apologizing
    He's apologizing for the bad phrasing not what he felt true to his personal standards. No one is questioning his opinion and personal standard, he is entitled to it. What is being emphasized was the way he stated it, the choice of words.

It's not OCD please don't be insulting to people? Many of us grew up on the Filmation cartoon and while I have a fantastic MOTUC figure collection I am thrilled Mattel started the animated Filmation He-Man cartoon series collection of figures as these versions are what I wanted when I was young and could only dream of owning because they never existed until now. If it's not your preference that's ok but please stay polite when posting and don't lump people who enjoy these as having OCD.
    Collectors Choice most Wanted Characacters:

Hunga The Harpy, Sagitar, General Tateran, Kothos, 200x Sorceress, Crimson Countess, Inspector Darkney.

Club Grayskull Filmation most Wanted Characacters:

Kittrina, Melaktha, Leech, Filmation Horde Trooper, Prince Adam, Stratos, Modulok, Yukkers, Multibot, Ram-Man, Whiplash, Webstor.

Ok everyone…let's not go down the road of insulting each other. MotU is broad enough to allow for many styles. We can discuss FILMation without going in the gutter with it.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

I have little nostalgia for the vintage line and the only reason I had some of them as a kid was because of my interest in the cartoon. It was either play with those and 'pretend' they looked the same as the characters from the cartoon or go without. In some ways I resented the vintage figures back in the day because they really weren't exactly what I was seeing on TV While your probably correct with the reasoning why the animation did not match the already released figures, this makes no difference to me as I'm a fan of the cartoon and NOT the original toys. Had it not been for the cartoon then I would have had zero interest in the toys and would not be here collecting MOTUC. I want figures that match the cartoon versions as I want that look represented in plastic as that is 'my' version of those characters.
    Last edited by blackiecats; April 15, 2018 at 08:24pm.
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

Yes! Same here! The vintage figures bothered me as a kid because they did not look like the cartoon. I never liked them, but I had them because that's all there was.

Quote Originally Posted by blackiecats View Post
    I have little nostalgia for the vintage line and the only reason I had some of them as a kid was because of my interest in the cartoon. It was either play with those and 'pretend' they looked the same as the characters from the cartoon or go without. In some ways I resented the vintage figures back in the day because they really weren't exactly what I was seeing on TV While your probably correct with the reasoning why the animation did not match the already released figures, this makes no difference to me as I'm a fan of the cartoon and NOT the original toys. Had it not been for the cartoon then I would have had zero interest in the toys and would not be here collecting MOTUC. I want figures that match the cartoon versions as I want that look represented in plastic as that is 'my' version of those characters.

I loved the toys. And the ads for the new ones! And while I liked the cartoon, even my six year-old self cringed at the morals they wrapped each episode up with. Got to be funny if you're going to break the fourth wall. Stupid grown-ups!

Heroic Warrior
    I have little nostalgia for the vintage line and the only reason I had some of them as a kid was because of my interest in the cartoon. It was either play with those and 'pretend' they looked the same as the characters from the cartoon or go without. In some ways I resented the vintage figures back in the day because they really weren't exactly what I was seeing on TV
    Your view is comparable to my disappointment that the cartoon didn't match the characters in the early minicomics. It shows that there are more than one versions of this story. In the context of this discussion it also highlights the fact that a clear distinction needs to be maintained between CC and CG. (Whether it was your intention to express that I don't know, but that's how I interpreted your post.)

Quote Originally Posted by VaultsofGrayskull View Post
    Your view is comparable to my disappointment that the cartoon didn't match the characters in the early minicomics. It shows that there are more than one versions of this story. In the context of this discussion it also highlights the fact that a clear distinction needs to be maintained between CC and CG. (Whether it was your intention to express that I don't know, but that's how I interpreted your post.)
    Yeah I can see the opposite side too with the cartoon not matching the vintage toys and those fans being disappointed, however we are discussing the figures and not the cartoon here.

I will say that Filmation (regardless of whether it's a variant like Leech or an unreleased character like Hunga) are better off being released in CG. Collector's Choice would be better off focusing on the few remaining NA, POP variants, 200x and Comics characters left. That is my personal opinion, however it's obvious without the inclusion of Filmation in CC that line would not have much life left in it so I understand the need to include Filmation in CC. It's complicated as your trying to please everyone as much as you can. I just want the figures accurate (as much as possible at least) to the source material. I thought the movie figures were great with them being even more detailed than the average Classics character with them coming from a 'live' action source. I'm really looking forward to Karg! Likewise I prefer Filmation characters to have the simplistic designs they were animated in (the reason for that does not matter) to represent that look they were originally created in.

So I'd prefer all Filmation to be released in CG, but I realise there are MOC fans that only collect CC and want them released in that packaging to continue their collection. However so long as the Filmation keep their accurate design I can live with them being released in CC as I do collect both lines. Over the years I've accepted the vintage style for what it was (the original take on the MOTU property) and can enjoy it in addition to the Filmation version. I do feel that MOTUC (CC) is near complete where the Filmation design in plastic is only just beginning.

- - - Updated - - -
    Most wanted Filmation style MOTUC figures:

Hunga the Harpy, Webstor, Kobra Khan, Leech, Whiplash, Rattlor, Catra Cat Form, Ram Man, Count Marzo, Two-Bad, King Miro, Twiggets, Frosta, Kothos and Admiral Scurvy.

I will say that Filmation (regardless of whether it's a variant like Leech or an unreleased character like Hunga) are better off being released in CG. Collector's Choice would be better off focusing on the few remaining NA, POP variants, 200x and Comics characters left. That is my personal opinion, however it's obvious without the inclusion of Filmation in CC that line would not have much life left in it so I understand the need to include Filmation in CC. It's complicated as your trying to please everyone as much as you can. I just want the figures accurate (as much as possible at least) to the source material.
    It is complicated, but I actually think at this point for Collector's choice, it's actually more important to be consistent with the hundreds of figures already produced in a particular style/aesthetic than it is to be accurate to the exact source material. For example, if they were ever to produce a figure of the mini-comic character Snarrl or Strettch Nek or Vypor I would much prefer they hew more closely to the Classics inspired Axel Gimenez drawings than they do to the sketchy mini-comics page where no detail at all can be discerned. I would love to have action figures of characters like Negator or King Tamusk but would be highly disappointed if the figures were so Filmation Faithful that they looked ridiculous next to my other classics figures. I would want my King Tamusk to look credibly like it's from the same figure line interacting with Chief Carnivus.

I thought the movie figures were great with them being even more detailed than the average Classics character with them coming from a 'live' action source. I'm really looking forward to Karg! Likewise I prefer Filmation characters to have the simplistic designs they were animated in (the reason for that does not matter) to represent that look they were originally created in.
    See, I was actually disappointed in the over-detailed design of the movie figures, most especially Gwildor. I feel those figures would have benefitted from a little more time in the "Classicizer". Luckily the upcoming Karg is actually based on his comic book appearance and not directly on his movie appearance.

So I'd prefer all Filmation to be released in CG, but I realise there are MOC fans that only collect CC and want them released in that packaging to continue their collection. However so long as the Filmation keep their accurate design I can live with them being released in CC as I do collect both lines
    See, here I wholly and totally disagree. If a figure is going to have a Filmation accurate design then I do NOT want to be forced to purchase it with my other Classics designed figures in Collector's Choice. My preference would be to have Filmation characters "Classicized" for inclusion in Collector's Choice. But failing that - if Super7 insists on rendering them in animation faithful designs then those figures need to be confined to Club Grayskull. I don't want the animation designs and I don't want to have to buy an animation design as a pre-requisite to getting 3 other Classics styled figures that I do want.

So if Hunga the Harpy is on the table but she's going to be in a pure Filmation design with no Classics style details on the legs, or wings - then I don't want it in Collector's Choice as it doesn't belong there. I actually went out of my way to obtain the Filmation Clawful figure, figuring it was unique enough that it could serve as a different character entirely from my Classics Clawful - but when I put it on the shelf it just looked so goofy and out of place next to all of my other figures that I eventually just put him away. It's the same reason I wouldn't buy a BTAS Catwoman to put into my DCUC display - it would look silly there.

Again, I don't begrudge the Filmation fans their figures - I hope you get all the figures you want in your preferred style. I just hope that doesn't have to come at the expense of me getting any more figures in my preferred style and I really hope I am not forced to subsidize your preferred figures by having to buy them to get the figures I like better.

WOW......I go away for a few days and come back to find I have stepped on some toes. That was not my intent. My viewpoint is one of just not getting it. I am still happy that fans are getting these to feed their nostalgia button. Maybe being an old fart is making me a bit blunt. Sorry guys! I grew up with the figures and minicomics first years before the cartoon hit our airwaves.
    When it came out, I was initially shocked and disappointed at the changes made and yes....dumbing down of the characters. Not just in a design sense, but as the characters themselves. Gone was the ability to complete a decent sentence for certain villains and heroes like Ram man or Spikor. I hated that they were made stupid. Filmation may have been responsible for broadening the popularity, but for me; it was the eye opening first salvo of cartoons insulting our intelligence. I had better sense than that even as a kid. So, part of my post referred more to what Filmation damaged for me rather than helping my hobby.
    Darth Pardus

Classic Want list: Stinkor shield, Extendar, Snake Face, Snout Spout, Snake mountain bridge and net, Fright Fighter, Talon fighter radar dish, jetsled, tower tools, cliff climber, scuba attack, turbodactyl, bionatops, tyrantosaur, and Eternia