Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?

I think the area that has me "fatigued" is when I saw (and continue to see) the Filmation style figures being planned in the 5.5" scale. I just don't think those figures look particularly good (and certainly not $20 good!). I'd prefer the 5.5" line to steer more towards characters we never got in the '80s... He-Ro, Eldor, entirely new characters, etc. I don't mind Filmation in Club Grayskull and I'm fine if that line continues on... but I'd prefer not to keep getting Filmation jammed into other areas, like the neo-classic 5.5" stuff. It's like "Oh cool. Here's Man-At-Arms. Again. But an inch or so shorter and with way less articulation or accessories." Or, as others have said, into Collector's Choice. You want to give me Filmation-created characters like Icer, Fang Man, etc as a 6" figure and I'm cool with that. If you keep cranking out Hawk/Deloras and Dylamugs and Granitas that initially have popped out of the cartoon but don't actually match up with the Classic aesthetic (and only have added detail after customer outcry requests it), that's going to lose my business.

I wouldn't say that "fatigue" is the word. I have long been of the opinion that FILMation-themed figures have NO place in my Collection. I've got these characters already, I don't NEED another He-Man, Skeletor, etc. with less detail. Yet, owing to a certain amount of corporate chicanery, I subscribed to Mattel's Club Grayskull (that FILMation-accurate EvilSeed was put in the Sub JUST to entice ME, evidently :^D), and have purchased Super 7's CG Wave 1 (something about having a "make up" figure for the "iffy" Comic-Con Hordak and Point Dread Teela spoke to me, although I SHOULD have resisted!). I've also Pre-Ordered Wave 2 (Tung Lashor, natch), so although I am supposedly averse to FILMation He-Man figures, I am thus far a completist!! I am eagerly anticipating a Wave 3 from Super 7 with NO irresistible characters, so I can cut the cord and quit cold turkey.

The Ball's in YOUR Court, Brian Flynn... [^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely no filmation fatigue. How ridiculous. Besides they outsell CC

The vintage toy lines and the filmation cartoons are the most recognizable motu properties out there and for thirty years filmation was neglected. No vintage figures. No animated figures in motuc. It wasn’t til 2016 we finally got them. And the line has just barely gotten started. Still plenty of characters to do as figures. I think it’s selfish that after ten years of Classics people are whining about really just one year so far of filmation. Booooo

There’s still a lot to get to

Fisto
    Ram man
    Kobra khan
    Stratos
    Whiplash
    Two bad
    Modulok
    Multi bot
    Spikor
    Webstor
    Adam
    Roboto
    Jitsu
    Buzz off
    Mekaneck
    Mantenna
    Leech
    Grizzzlor
    Shadow weaver
    Catra
    Entrapta
    Catra cat form
    Glimmer
    Perfuma
    Bow
    Angela
    Mermista
    Light hope
    Last edited by degra; March 13, 2018 at 06:00pm.

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

As far as the MOTUC figures go, nope, I'm happy with this line. I only wish that every figure was 100% Filmation accurate since the line started underneath Mattel's watch.

As for the vintage line, I would rather see new characters than Filmation variants. For me, He-Ro and Eldor are definitely the crown jewels in the relaunch so far.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Lizorr, T-Rex, Great Black Wizard, rest of New Adventures, Lodar, MOP Demons, Dream Mistress.
    Most Wanted Filmation: Ileena, Granita, Teela, Hordak head, Dylamug, Twiggets, Trollans, Widgets, Dark Dream, Lady Valtira, Count Marzo, Chimera.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I grew up watching and loving the Filmation He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon. The same goes for the Filmation She-Ra: Princess of Power cartoon. I still love it, but my heart for Masters of the Universe and Princess of Power always remained with the toys first and foremost. To me, the incredible detail in those figures and corresponding art (Earl Norem, William George, etc...) made the property so stunning. It's why I love the Four Horsemen's treatment of Masters of the Universe Classics starting back in 2008. Improved versions for the modern day. A dream line that still continues (albeit in less production). Filmation rights were acquired, as they should have, and some of the great missing cartoon aspects were introduced in MOTUC.

However, as we hit today, I'm starting to get Filmation fatigue. Half of the Four Horsemen Masters of the Universe releases are Club Filmation. It seems the planned vintage 5.75" style are mostly Filmation versions. It's getting boring to me.

Don't get me wrong, I get that Club Filmation sells better apparently (at least for now as the bigger named variants are out there). These are heavy hitters never made in this style before. Many folks want them. But I can't get around that Filmation style is a more bland, boring, muted, repetitive, and childish Masters of the Universe to me. And now it's seemingly invaded the toy side which never really happened before. I don't feel the need for all this Filmation overload, and it's dulling my enthusiasm. I'd rather see unreleased characters or new MOTUC (like the amazing Fangor). I'd rather see new characters in the vintage 5.75" style.

Are you suffering from Filmation fatigue?
    As far as the cartoon, I still LOVE and ADORE it for what it is/was. As far as MOTUC goes, GAWD YES I am sick of the Filmation aesthetic.

I guess I am.

I have no interest in Filmation versions of characters, its all about new characters I don't have yet - Space Mutants, Galactic Protectors, Contest Runners Up, Mini-comic characters, bio characters...

I prefer the more detailed Collectors Choice aesthetic too.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Midwestern She-Raver Salamandra's Avatar
    I try to stay positive about it. But I've really been burnt out on it for years, since nearly all the POP ladies we received were almost entirely Filmation. Notable exceptions being Mermista, NA She-Ra, and Light Hope. The rest felt very much phoned-in to me, and very little effort made with those designs. Nobody really squawked much back then, but now we're reaping the fruits of that with figures like Hawke. People are wondering how such a stripped-down design got into Classics...well, Mattel did it for years!

My favorite figures are ones like Draego-Man and Fang-Or. If I'm shelling out this much money, I want some tooling for my cash. If things start looking too much like I'm paying forty bucks for a Funko POP figure, I'm out. More cash should result in more tooling.

So far, I've been a completist. But I find that I put the Filmation figures into a box and don't look at them much again.
    Last edited by Salamandra; March 13, 2018 at 06:56pm.

Quote Originally Posted by degra View Post
    Besides they outsell CC
    LOL - according to whom? What official bulletin did I miss? Then why did their price increase by 75%?

Definitely no filmation fatigue. How ridiculous.
    Newsflash:

THE ALL AMERICAN, myself and others are "ridiculous" for being sick of Filmation.
    TOP WANTS:

SONGSTER, EVIL ROBOT, SAGITAR, ARTILLA, TUVAR, BADDHRA, SLIME PIT BONE WARRIOR,

Fatigue? Lol. No. In the 5.5” line I would like to see a good balance of filmation and characters we didn’t originally get.

Just preordered wave 2 of CG. Looking forward to more.

Quote Originally Posted by t-man View Post
    yes

i need some 200x and i will be happy. I love filmation too, but i love 200x way more.
    thiiiiiiiissssssssssss!!!!!!!!!

I'm enjoying the FILMation fun!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jake View Post
    Yup.

Filmation 2.0's never interested me. Only the new characters we never got.

This takeover of the brands by Filmation is one of the reasons why I am quitting MOTUC.

The Combination of Filmation by Super7 has killed the line for me.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Donimo View Post
    LOL - according to whom? What official bulletin did I miss? Then why did their price increase by 75%?
    Val said it

please release accurate Filmation of-- Fisto, roboto, kobra khan, grizzlor, mantenna. Leech, entrapta, , moss man, icer , buzz off, whiplash, webstor, prince adam, rattlor, mekaneck, stratos ram man, frosta, bow, shadow weaver, catra, catra frosta, panther form ,Mermista, glimmer, Angela and perfuma.

Heroic Warrior
    Definitely not fatigued, but I would like more variety. To me MOTUC celebrates all eras and representations of the characters, so it should have a solid mix done in the classics style. Then, CG can be straight Filmation. The only "burn out" really is just from Filmation taking up half the CC slots as well I suppose.

It would be near impossible to burn me out on anything MOTU, so long as they get the QC dialed in.

I don’t feel fatigued. Club Grayskull Wave 1 kind of did the opposite to me. I just ordered Wave 2 (both CG and CC) a few days ago.

However, it shouldn’t become Super 7’s go-to move to turn every subline into Filmation variants. I’m excited about welcoming “vintage” He-ro and Eldor into my collection (finally), but I’m not sure I need vintage Filmation repaints when I already collect Club Grayskull. It seems to me that these two lines might cannibalise each other’s sales – especially at high prizes.

Meanwhile, Collector’s Choice should just keep its identity as the “high detail”-line of characters hardly anyone’s ever heard of. I love figures like Fangor or Quakke – they don’t need nostalgia to be cool.

Val said it
    Oh, of course...

Heroic Warrior
    Oh, of course...
    Well I’m sure he knows given his interaction with S7

And even if he hadn’t it’s fairly obvious given it offers up iconic looks of the high profile motu characters anew that have never had a figure Most fans want he man sorceress Teela man at arms man e faces. Ram man fisto whiplash Tri-Klops before no names like Quake or horde mummy or NA that populate the CC. It also probably explains why Hawke dylamug Granita are Filmation styled. To help boost CC sales
    Last edited by degra; March 13, 2018 at 07:58pm.

Quote Originally Posted by lemur View Post
    The Combination of Filmation by Super7 has killed the line for me.
    That is exactly why I bailed on this Wave 2 of CC. I have moved on to other things at this point. Now, if S7 course corrects on all CC figures from Filmation, I may come back on board. Right now, I'm just an amused observer of MOTUC.

- - - Updated - - -

And even if he hadn’t it’s be fairly obvious given it offers up iconic looks of the high profile motu characters anew. Most fans want he man sorceress Teela man st arms man e faces. Ram man fisto whiplash before no names like Quake or horde mummy or NA that populate the CC. It also probably explains why Hawke afulamug Granita are Filmation styled. To help boost CC sales
    Yeah, uh huh. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

And even if he hadn’t it’s be fairly obvious given it offers up iconic looks of the high profile motu characters anew. Most fans want he man sorceress Teela man st arms man e faces. Ram man fisto whiplash before no names like Quake or horde mummy or NA that populate the CC. It also probably explains why Hawke afulamug Granita are Filmation styled. To help boost CC sales
    I am still interested to hear you grasping at straws to explain the overwhelming 75% price increase on the CG figures.

Heroic Warrior
    That is exactly why I bailed on this Wave 2 of CC. I have moved on to other things at this point. Now, if S7 course corrects on all CC figures from Filmation, I may come back on board. Right now, I'm just an amused observer of MOTUC.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, uh huh. Gotcha.

- - - Updated - - -

I am still interested to hear you grasping at straws to explain the overwhelming 75% price increase on the CG figures.
    Because all new sculpting. They had to retool parts after losing Mattel molds. Plus several figures had lots of new tooling like Hordak torso, boots, feet, armbands. Man at arm had shoulders, biceps, forearms all new tool no reuse. The new Tri-Klops torso. Teela torso. Plus I’m sure it has to do with covering the budget for both lines.

Plus a new factory. And maybe Matty underpriced the filmation figures.
    Last edited by degra; March 13, 2018 at 08:05pm.

Because all new sculpting. They had to retool parts after losing Mattel molds. Plus several figures had lots of new tooling like Hordak torso, boots, feet, armbands. Man at arm had shoulders, biceps, forearms all new tool no reuse.
    LOL, that's awesome. I love it. No matter how ridiculous, there's always an answer.

Halfway between Trolla and Eorzea (Salem, MA)
    ... ... ...
    Last edited by Wandering Star; March 15, 2018 at 01:57am. Reason: Redacted for universal blight
    <--- CRAZY OLD TROLLAN LADY

Nope, I am FILMation from now on. I always preferred the simplistic look and color schemes. Classics was okay, in the beginning, but I got burnt out on them after year 5. Plus the aftermarket on some popular classics figures has gotten ridiculous.
    "A Person Who Is Willing To Die For Someone Else, Has Nothing To Live For Themselves!"

~ Me ~

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=141117

http://give.transplants.org/goto/justintrease

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    While I have no interest in Filmation-style figures, I can't say I'm fatigued by them. I simply don't buy them. I'm glad they're making them for those who want them, they're just not for me. I do find it a little annoying that Filmation seems to be the main focus of Super 7's MOTUC continuation, but at the same time, I understand why that is.
    This sums it up for me. I understand the filmation trend, but its not my preference. I just want the line to continue with some classics along the way, and get all sorts of new motu stuff from super 7.

I am personally not fatigued by the FILMation aesthetic at all.

At the same time, I would consider two, maybe three more waves to be enough to get all the most prominent characters made in a FILMation style.

I have no need for a cartoon version of, say, Leech. Is he different enough? I suppose, but then we slip down the rabbit-hole of making ALL of the Horde in toon style. (Although, to be a hypocrite, I would like Mantenna...) And I am perfectly content with characters like Shokoti, Masque, Icer, Lizardman, Fang Man, Eternos Palace Randor, Madame Razz, Shadow Weaver, Strong Arm, etc.

However, I DO feel that the inclusion of characters like Duncan, Hordak, and Teela, help Super7 sell guys like Wrap Trap and Fang Or...

Of course, the only thing separating characters like Hawke and Granita from being true Club Grayskull figures is their packaging...
    Where are the rest of my New Adventures Classics figures?!?!?

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST complete the New Adventures Faction!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!